• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blacks Asked To Leave Restaurant Because White Customer Felt Threatened

Status
Not open for further replies.

stufte

It's a wing joint, not a 5 star restaurant, so in most cases that would be a yes.

Not any place I've ever worked. A rude, unruly party of 25? Think of the other 100 patrons that you're alienating by *not* ejecting them from the establishment. Never cater to the assholes just for their cash, you'll end up pissing off more people than it's worth.

akira28

So that person who said "there are two sides to every story" and was then mocked and ridiculed (including by a mod) was right, after all?

Huh.

Stick around long enough and GAF will create every side to every story.

Out of boredom and disbelief, or worse. Rumors of words exchanged become an argument. Suddenly everything becomes clear because they didn't have a reservation. People are digging deep for that other side, when the bottom line is pretty clear from the outset. It's in the thread topic. But keep plugging in other factors until it changes into something you can process. One person even assumed that since this place must get patronized by blacks all the time, racism would have to be unlikely. Suddenly it's 25 rude and unruly people who deserved to get kicked out. How did we get here?

Keep mining that reason.

andycapps

It's a wing joint, not a 5 star restaurant, so in most cases that would be a yes. My cousin has been a server at all sorts of places and he's put up with some stuff that would truly turn your stomach, especially at some of the lower end joints of the restaurant spectrum.

I think the difference is that they were allegedly insulting patrons of the restaurant, being really loud about the wait, yelling about racism, making racist comments themselves, etc. I would guess that the servers and management would have ignored it if it hadn't been affecting their customers.

All of what I said is assuming that this other account by an anonymous employee was true.

akira28

Yes. A party of 25 people are going to be likely loud regardless of race. So yes, it's more plausible that a large group blocking the entrance of a restaurant is going to be agitated by the constant flow of staff and customers asking them to step aside to allow proper foot traffic. For a restaurant to ask a party of 25 to leave is throwing money away. I refuse to believe any business owner is dumb enough to do all that just to accommodate one person. There is more to this story than we're led to believe.

And no. 5 cars full of family members decided to go out to dinner. This does not require any rudeness or unruly behavior. I've been in this situation many times with family get-togethers. There are generally no issues, either with waiting or getting served. Even a fucking Chili's can cover that without much fanfare or drama.

jasonng

Stick around long enough and GAF will create every side to every story.

Out of boredom and disbelief, or worse. Rumors of words exchanged become an argument. Suddenly everything becomes clear because they didn't have a reservation. People are digging deep for that other side, when the bottom line is pretty clear from the outset. It's in the thread topic. But keep plugging in other factors until it changes into something you can process. One person even assumed that since this place must get patronized by blacks all the time, racism would have to be unlikely. Suddenly it's 25 rude and unruly people who deserved to get kicked out. How did we get here?

Keep mining that reason.

And I believe taking everything at face value skews your perspective. Bottom line is that I hate to think that a business is suffering a backlash just because they've dealt
with an unruly party who was quick to play the race card. I find that story more plausible than one where a restaurant kicks out "Blacks" for a "White Customer".

This is not Amy's Baking Company we're talking about here, this is a well established restaurant.

And no. 5 cars full of family members decided to go out to dinner. This does not require any rudeness or unruly behavior. I've been in this situation many times with family get-togethers. There are generally no issues, either with waiting or getting served. Even a fucking Chili's can cover that without much fanfare or drama.

What are you getting at? That you've dealt with large parties that waited patiently and was very understanding to the staff? Good for you! That doesn't change the fact that this party waited two hours for whatever factor of reasons. Are we to expect they've accepted their wait time gracefully? I wouldn't blame them if they got upset.

akira28

And I believe taking everything at face value skews your perspective. Bottom line is that I hate to think that a business is suffering a backlash just because they've dealt
with an unruly party who was quick to play the race card. I find that story more plausible than one where a restaurant kicks out "Blacks" for a "White Customer".

And seeking for other explanations doesn't trigger your confirmation bias to look for any other reason than racism? Since that's how racism works today, hiding behind any other reason, as it's no longer openly acceptable?

I guess all we really needed was an anonymous tip that the blacks were unruly.

jasonng

And seeking for other explanations doesn't trigger your confirmation bias to look for any other reason than racism? Since that's how racism works today, hiding behind any other reason, as it's no longer openly acceptable?

I never ruled out the possibility that it was racist act. I just find it unlikely.

Risible

And taking it all at face value makes you somehow unbiased? You are willing to accept one side of the story blindly.

I don't know what happened, but I know that listening to one side of a story is usually a recipe for being misinformed.

Does racism exist? Sure. Do people play "the race card" for sympathy or gain? Sure.

massoluk

Banned

Come the fuck on. You are crying racism over the Facebook from the the other side.

edit: Woops sorry, fuck my reading comprehension, sorry.

akira28

Bullshit. They used ll cool j in their commercials in the 90s. Not very racist, IMO.

2dB1y1gs.jpg

the gap is all the racists ask for.

stufte

no. If the company wants to put that out in a statement, then we can talk. Anonymous tips and things heard on a radio show don't earn a credible 'maybe' from me.

But a facebook post from some random person is a definite "no"? Okey dokey.

The anonymous tip is no more or less credible than the initial story, but I guess it's all in who you *want* to believe.

Here's a less inflammatory article, including a new interview with the complainant and a statement from the restaurant. The best part is this:

"The manager did not say that the customer cited race as a reason why she was uncomfortable with the group, but Brown says when he saw that the sitting patron was White, it was impossible not to conclude that race was a factor."

So the racism was non-existent, except for the assumptions of the group of black people that, because of the race of the person complaining, that it must have been racism. Racist much? Just because you're black, and you get kicked out of a restaurant, doesn't mean people are being racist, it might just mean they had a good reason to kick you out that had nothing to do with the color of your skin.

If they are on the up-and-up they'd release the video they took that night, but for some reason... I think they won't.

akira28

"threatened".

I guess she could be claustrophobic. Or maybe she's a misanthrope.
But the real problem is blacks using accusations of racism like a weapon. I hope everyone will be okay.

stufte

"threatened".

I guess she could be claustrophobic. Or maybe she's a misanthrope.
But the real problem is blacks using accusations of racism like a weapon. I hope everyone will be okay.

FTA:

“She said pretty much that costumer over there feels threatened by you guys and she asked that you not be seated by her.”

So definitive. "Pretty much" basically means the manager said something else, and Mr. Brown interpreted it how he wanted.

The Cowboy

I don't think we'll ever get the full story (why did the person feel threatened?, did she actually feel threatened, was the group disruptive? etc), BUT this part of the whole thing is the reason they got asked to leave (and for this part I would even say - a legit reason).
At one point during the ordeal, Marlon pulled out his cellphone to record what was happening. It was at that point that the manager allegedly asked the group to leave the establishment, a request that baffled Michael.

“I said, So you’re telling me, after you made me wait for two hours, and discriminate against me, and have us waiting and we called ahead — all of these things and we actually still want to patronize your establishment. Now you [are] telling me you want to kick me out?” he reportedly asked the manager.
They had not been asked to leave until this point, how many places do you think would accept someone pulling out a camera to record your conversation/disagreement?. It seems like the restaurant was trying to sort things out (at least from this article) and then the camera was used, at this point they got asked to leave. I don't get how this baffled Michael, I would have been more baffled if they hadn't been asked to leave at that point.

Cipherr

You've been luckier than most then, I assure you.

No he hasn't.... I worked in a restaurant before, and thats not nearly a big enough group to allow shouting raving and harassment of customers for 2 hours before telling them to leave.

2 hours is positively absurd. Even if desperate to make money that day, 30 minutes of a group making the place a living hell and harassing other paying customers would be far to much.

2 fucking hours? No way. No group of people is big enough to tolerate that. You are way better off losing those ~20 people as customers permanently than letting them tarnish the experience for many others and risk losing all those other customers + word of mouth.

Atilac

I haven't posted in this thread before, but why are people taking the word of anonymous tipster that the group was rowdy as if it were gospel?

I haven't posted in this thread before, but why are people taking the word of anonymous tipster that the group was rowdy as if it were gospel?

Fits with the assumptions they already have.

Personally, I'm not convinced either side is in the right until we get some direct statements from the family AND the restaurant.

Enzom21

It probably makes more sense to some people that black people are rowdy and racism is never a factor.

jasonng

It probably makes more sense to some people that black people are rowdy and racism is never a factor.

It's like you guys never been to a ball game or a party or a club before. Why is it hard to believe that a large group of any background will likely to be loud?

fader

Yea, I'm sort of rubbing my chin on this one. They said they were calm but a group of 25 people just doesn't sound like they would be quite no matter what skin color you are.
But the fact that they used the worth "Threatened" kinda makes me think there was a racial issue here.... Hmm....

Giygas AF

Yea, I'm sort of rubbing my chin on this one. They said they were calm but a group of 25 people just doesn't sound like they would be quite no matter what skin color you are.
But the fact that they used the worth "Threatened" kinda makes me think there was a racial issue here.... Hmm....

I would feel threatened too! 25 people coming in may eat all the wings. Then I wouldn't have any more wings to eat :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom