• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

I read that the duplicate DNA was a copy in the records not in the individuals.

Used to hide who the individuals actually are.

that's correct. deckard used his experience as a blade runner to hide his daughter. He had them down as twins and had the girl die - and that futher hides the fact that she was the one.

NimbusD

Yeah the movie doesn't commit to answering whether Deckard is a human. You can read a certain ambiguity into several lines but I'm glad they let sleeping dogs lie with this one. Pretty much everyone who worked on Blade Runner except Ridley approached him as being human, including the movie's screenwriter who felt that "asking" the question is interesting but the answer itself is not. This movie follows up on that line of thought pretty well.

Probably the most interesting thing to me is that I've always considered it near heresy to think of deckard as a replicants from the original film. But I would have been fine had this film labeled him as such because it would have worked with the story unlike the first.

But it's probably smart of them to just keep the question hanging, and they did so pretty deftly.

They hid a LOT of twists from marketing, like I'm impressed they didn't just blurt out the opening 5 minutes stuff because that sets up the whole damn film

Slixshot

Banned
Reading this thread, two scenes are definitely underrated:
- the amazing love scene
- the fight with elvis popping in and out in the background. That was tight as fuck.

There was this subtle lighting thing they did which was really cool: when Jared Leto talks to Deckard, the reflections of light on the wall behind him look like a rising sun. It's a continuation of the symbolism they used with Tyrell, Ra (the sun god) at the top of the pyramid. It's definitely on purpose because behind Deckard the pattern was random.

Regarding the music, I think it fits this movie really well. A full on Vangelis-copy would have been a tad too tacky.

Dude. Both of those scenes were mind blowing!!!

Astral

I’m absolutely in love with the giant Joi hologram. And I guess either kids don’t exist in 2049 LA or society is finally ok with showing kids tits.

I do wonder how people are easily swayed by the visuals for this. They are gorgeous but I feel like the plot is sort of cheap, the plot holes even worse and some of the thing in it, somewhat manipulative to the audience.

add: also you think some manufactor will incidentally put a serial number exactly in the bone indentation where the scalpel cut rachel?? It's in a cut made by the knife. It's not like they want to hide replicants - what with their obvious ID on the eyeballs. so why not have it on the bone/skull instead of being an ultramicroscopic (and it was ultra microscopic what with the ultra zoom in to see it) hidden serial number.

who would even put it there?

and re: protecting the baby? Why even keep the bones. Turn them into ash. I don't understand why you'd even keep them if you want to erase all records.

Prompto

Banned
Just came back and I loved it.

So was the point of that scene towards the end with the giant hologram basically saying that the AI's feelings toward K weren't real at all? It was just telling him what he wanted to hear?

- the amazing love scene
- the fight with elvis popping in and out in the background. That was tight as fuck.

Both of those scenes were amazing

Mr. Hyde

That was so fucking good. Wow. The early shot of Gosling flying through the city in the storm with the pounding drums was fucking amazing.

Yeah! The heavy synth drums gave the film such as a tense feeling. The soundtrack in the original is superior but the soundtrack is this one fit the more dystopic world perfectly. I love the cold feeling the movie had. It made the world age in a realistic way.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but...I wanted more Jared Leto? He was fucking fantastic. Loved how you just had a vague sense of his limitless power with relatively little demonstration of it.

What do we think those droids were? Like, beaming sonic images into his brain so he could see?

Movie exceeded my sky high expectations. The maniacs to make a big budget, nearly three hour, slow burn Blade Runner sequel have done a man’s job, uh, sirs and ma’ams. Denis’ streak continues.

It’s almost unbelievable how good Blade Runner 2049 ended up. Like, stars lined up or there was a blood sacrifice somewhere.

caesar

Banned
I’m absolutely in love with the giant Joi hologram. And I guess either kids don’t exist in 2049 LA or society is finally ok with showing kids tits.

I loved that scene with the giant hologram, it really makes you question how much of their relationship was real at all when she delivers her pre baked phrases of being a 'good joe'.

jett

D-Member
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but...I wanted more Jared Leto? He was fucking fantastic. Loved how you just had a vague sense of his limitless power with relatively little demonstration of it.

What do we think those droids were? Like, beaming sonic images into his brain so he could see?

I liked Leto's performance. I liked his exposition dumps less.

JB1981

I thought the movie moved at a glacial pace and really needed some "heat" or forward momentum at certain points. How many times can Denis indulge a slow n deliberate tracking shot of Gosling slowly walking into frame before it tests our patience?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
fuck me that was something

what a set of movies we have here... wow

I loved that scene with the giant hologram, it really makes you question how much of their relationship was real at all when she delivers her pre baked phrases of being a 'good joe'.

that scene killed me

also the only time you see the “replicant red dot” in his eyes

Leto had about as much screentime here as he did in Squad but whew he ate it up here

There's a lot of stuff that you can interpret differently based on your own personal opinions here

Leto had about as much screentime here as he did in Squad but whew he ate it up here

There's a lot of stuff that you can interpret differently based on your own personal opinions here

Yep. I wasn’t sure what they wanted us to think but it sounds like despite Ridley’s comments, we are still free to form our own conclusions about Deckard being human or not, right?

I liked JL a lot in this and I normally don't. I kept thinking how he's like 50? and he looks amazing and he was pretty much spot on as tyrell. I also really loved how the light in the temple/or wherever he was kept shifting. Beautifully put together.

The prometheus white men also in the the temple was a cute reference to the ridley universe.

Simo

Movie exceeded my sky high expectations. The maniacs to make a big budget, nearly three hour, slow burn Blade Runner sequel have done a man’s job, uh, sirs and ma’ams. Denis’ streak continues.

It’s almost unbelievable how good Blade Runner 2049 ended up. Like, stars lined up or there was a blood sacrifice somewhere.

Yup.

Just got home and still in awe. I'm going to need some time and more viewings to digest everything but man, what a film. Hit everything out of the ballpark. I'm also really surprised how much was kept out of marketing or adjusted to throw you off this whole time. Bravo. lol

jett

D-Member
I thought the movie moved at a glacial pace and really needed some "heat" or forward momentum at certain points. How many times can Denis indulge a slow n deliberate tracking shot of Gosling slowly walking into frame before it tests our patience?

It's weird because his previous movies move at a snappy pace. This one has too much deliberate slowness where nothing of much consequence seems to be happening. I can't say what was in Villeneuve's mind with some of his decisions here.

If we're going to further nitpick, I didn't care for the constant reminders of what had just happened in the movie. How many visual and auditory flashbacks did K get here? At least half a dozen. Not very elegant.

It's weird because his previous movies move at a snappy pace. This one has too much deliberate slowness where nothing of much consequence seems to be happening. I can't say what was in Villeneuve's mind with some of his decisions here.

If we're going to further nitpick, I didn't care for the constant reminders of what had just happened in the movie. How many visual and auditory flashbacks did K get here? At least half a dozen. Not very elegant.
There was definitely some unnecessary spoon feeding in the film. But WB want this to do Nolan numbers.

Yep. I wasn't sure what they wanted us to think but it sounds like despite Ridley's comments, we are still free to form our own conclusions about Deckard being human or not, right?

that doesn't matter in the sequel.

Its no longer even a thing here.

Wallace fucks with Deckard about it tbh

Deckard isn't even entirely sure

for a second. with a cursory throwaway reference.

see also, horse casting unicorn shadow in K's apartment - but I was like "K is a replicant" so that shot was only designed for fans.

Trago

Just got back home from the theater.

There's a lot to process and unpack here, but first thing's first. Deakins. Give this motherfucker his oscar already! This is the most beautiful film I've seen in a while. Good god.

I need to sit down and think for a bit.

Prompto

Banned
I did dislike that quick flashback of Rachel followed by the reveal of the new Rachel. Kinda took me away from that moment a bit.

when the rebel replicant came in with the photo near the end. I was like "come on!". please, don't literally do exposition that you've already done!

caesar

Banned
Yep. I wasn’t sure what they wanted us to think but it sounds like despite Ridley’s comments, we are still free to form our own conclusions about Deckard being human or not, right?

Honestly I think Ridley is one of those directors who doesn't fully understand why people love some of his work. The reason the Deckard question is so great is because of its ambiguity, Denis fully understands that as is shown in the scene with Deckard and Rachel.

JB1981

Man I thought the movie opened so strong too. But it just keeps plodding and plodding. I thought things would pick up and get moving after K gets arrested and fails that decompression test or whatever (which I thought were great scenes btw) but no it insists on taking its sweet ass time as nothing terribly interesting or revelatory is happening.

And except for Tears in Rain reprise at the end the score was fucking random noise that was obnoxious in Atmos. I know I sound like I hated this movie but I didn't. It was beautifully shot, acted and the story was interesting but the pacing left a lot to be desired. Don't think it's a movie I would revisit much.

Thought Gosling was very good in this. Way better than Ford in the original.

Quick

Banned
That was some fucking twist. Damn.

Small thing, but it was heartbreaking seeing his Joi get smashed up. Then he sees her ad and it was almost a gut punch to him that she basically was programmed to have the name Joe in mind.

Might watch it again next week. I had to pee and missed the scene between K getting arrested and tested, and the love scene with Joi/Mariette.

Astral

Fuck man. I suspected it but I didn’t wanna believe it. That’s heartbreaking. Poor K. He gets constantly shit on.

fuck me that was something

what a set of movies we have here... wow

that scene killed me

also the only time you see the “replicant red dot” in his eyes

Damn I didn’t notice the eyes. I need to watch this again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
clippity clop clippity clop of her heels. I wonder who that can be. :/

Why the ":/"? So you picked up on the clue for who it was going to be, that's not a negative. You could've figured out even sooner if you heard what Leto said, he pretty much tells him what he's going to do.

Einchy

I think like all of em, K's Joi personalized herself to his needs and was programmed to love him

God that stomp HURT

That's what I'm going to tell myself so I don't cry myself to sleep knowing that nothing in K's life was real.

Fucking floored by that film. My friends and I sat in the theater for an extra 20 minutes just trying to digest everything.

A cinematic experience I'll never forget.

Why the ":/"? So you picked up on the clue for who it was going to be, that's not a negative. You could've figured out even sooner if you heard what Leto said, he pretty much tells him what he's going to do.

yeah well, for sure. But the way they shot it was like its meant to be some magical reveal. but it really wasn't? They could have reversed the shot or structured the scene different to have this reveal mean something.

eg. he wakes up. she walks in. The audience is shocked. They talk. then tyrell walks in.

zelas

Lots of people have already said what I feel. My only complaint about the movie was that some lines of dialogue were hard to make out in about 3-4 scenes. Otherwise I didnt want the movie to end :(

- the amazing love scene

There was this subtle lighting thing they did which was really cool: when Jared Leto talks to Deckard, the reflections of light on the wall behind him look like a rising sun. It's a continuation of the symbolism they used with Tyrell, Ra (the sun god) at the top of the pyramid. It's definitely on purpose because behind Deckard the pattern was random.

Regarding the music, I think it fits this movie really well. A full on Vangelis-copy would have been a tad too tacky.
I thought the love scene concept was interesting but it was still too weird for me. That particular fight was ok. Tyrell/Wallace Corp aesthetics were amazing! Every single scene.

I also didn't read that ending as K dying, but more him deciding to rest up lol.
Yeah I'm of the opinion he didnt explicitly die. I think they showed nothing conclusive on purpose.

And Luv why was she crying when Wallace kills that replicant?
I think she gets emotional because she wants Wallace to love her the most. He puts her down while praising his other creations, right before cutting them down. If he's willing to do that to someone she thinks he values more, what is she to him?
Also Ana de Armas is my waifu !! <3
She almost had as many looks as she did in Hands of Stone!

Trago

Just some quick thoughts that pop up in my head:

- Soundtrack pales in comparison to the original. Some standout tracks here and there, but not as much impact as I would've liked. Some tracks REALLY fit the mood though, like the ones at the beginning of the film.

- Is it me or was that the single strangest love scene I've witnessed since the film Her? I'll give them this, it was creative lol.

- I loved the twists presented, I don't know if it was all Fancher, Scott, Villenuve, or all three, but that was some brilliant stuff. I had a sneaking suspicion that Rachel gave birth, but where they took it was unexpected and great.

- THOSE FUCKING VISUALS!

- This movie has a longer run time than the original, but felt about the same length.

- I got chocked up at the ending five minutes, all of it!

KodaRuss

Epic Sountrack and I loved the callbacks to the original. I really wanted them to say "enhance" when they were identifying the serial number of the bones.

Damn so good. I would watch it again tomorrow if I could.

Ana was in Hands of Stone? That makes sense, now I remember her and Duran bantering

That love scene in this one, super inventive. Also that was Mackenzie Davis, right? From San Junipero to back in the saddle again :p

Einchy

yeah well, for sure. But the way they shot it was like its meant to be some magical reveal. but it really wasn't? They could have reversed the shot or structured the scene different to have this reveal mean something.

eg. he wakes up. she walks in. The audience is shocked. They talk. then tyrell walks in.

Leto was parading her literal and figurative corpse in front of Deckard to fuck with him. Rachael being there isn't supposed to be a surprise and make you think she's still alive, it's supposed to disgust you at how fucked up Leto is and what he's doing to Deckard. Your version changes the whole purpose of that scene and why Rachael is there.

Astral

They didn’t mean it to be a magical reveal. It’s not trying to hide who it is. It’s trying to build it up. Deckard knows full well who it is before he even sees her face. It’s not a surprise. It’s more like a creeping anxiety for both him and the audience.

EDIT: Beaten.

KodaRuss

Ana was in Hands of Stone? That makes sense, now I remember her and Duran bantering

That love scene in this one, super inventive. Also that was Mackenzie Davis, right? From San Junipero to back in the saddle again :p

Yeah Mackenzie Davis is great. She is stellar in Halt and Catch Fire. Superb cast.

Top Bottom