• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I would, I wouldn't blame the other side, war is war, so yes it's fine.
right, so when the United States refuses to extradite CIA backed terrorists like Orlando Bosch or Luis Posada to their victim countries, it`s fine for Cuba (which has been on the receiving end of a serious, CIA backed terror campaign for 40 years) to fly Russian UAVs into Miami and fire off missiles at anti-Castro terrorists groups and their supporters in the CANF.

theignoramus said:
right, so when the United States refuses to extradite CIA backed terrorists like Orlando Bosch or Luis Posada to their victim countries, it`s fine for Cuba (which has been on the receiving end of a serious, CIA backed terror campaign for 40 years) to fly Russian UAVs into Miami and fire off missiles at anti-Castro terrorists groups and their supporters in the CANF.

Every country has it's own agenda's and goals. However, keep in mind they while I wouldn't blame them, I'd still want them dead as a result. Besides the idea of Cuba being able to do anything to us is so hilarious even Infinity Ward wouldn't use it in a game.

-MB-

xbhaskarx said:
Almost... TOO easy.

< starts Times Square Truther movement >
Gonna be a battle fighting the other movements for fox news/drudge attention though.
Queue behind birthers teabaggers and riggers ( no not a wordplay on the n word, before someone starts).

Dyno

With regards to motive, Faisal fits what is the common profile of the Islamic terrorist that operates in North America.

Fairly well educated from a middle to upper-middle class family. I would suspect his father pushed him fairly hard towards schooling to the exclusion of a social life or other extra-curricular activities. Once out of school life proved somewhat disappointing work-wise. He didn't make any friends because the mechanisms for outside relationships was never cultivated in their youth. These are the kinds of people who wind up in the jihad sub-culture.

President Clinton rightly identified this phenomena years ago. It's an adverse reaction to globalization in general and the westernization of the world in particular. You might think that it's in reaction to some event like drones or Americans in the Middle East but it's really not the case. Weak-minded Muslims drift into radical Islamic organizations just like westerners might wind up in Scientology or Christian fundamentalist camps. It's to belong to something, it's personal. These people are lost in modern society.

Dyno said:
Where I read it is in a book called Ghost Wars by Steve Coll. It's a really good - albeit dense read. It won the Pulitzer Prize that year. Clinton figures prominently throughout the book and his thoughts on globalization and modern terrorism are spelt out in the last third.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1594200076/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for that. I agree with your post; it's not as simple as pointing to a handful of events (drone attacks) and call it a day. It's far more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom