• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
CharlieDigital said:
Might he just have been disgruntled?

That's what I love... you don't go blow up the bank, you go blow up mom and pa tourist taking in a show....

If you are disgruntled, blow your brains out quietly somewhere.

I'm so sick of these bastards targeting this city.

pakkit

Banned
Atrus said:
Which explains why colonial nations like India or the entirety of Africa is behind this sort of international violence. While I never indicated it to be the only factor, religious ideology is a key factor. Blaming colonialism for this is just another sign of people unwilling to accept responsibility for current failures. It's just another symptom of the persecution complex.
Did I deny the religious factor? Feel free to read about Islamic history if you want to see how Britain and France's purely colonial disintegration of the Ottoman Empire, the implementation of the Zionist movement (an idea that I'm NOT against), and US policy's with Muslim nations since the Cold War (feeding them money in exchange for aid/coups, and then leaving them to dry) have fed into Islam's current trend with terrorism.

Or not. Just don't call it a persecution complex.

EDIT: Just to clarify before you latch on, persecution complex certainly has a lot to do with terrorism. It's an irrationality, after all.

ClosingADoor said:
A bit off-topic, but seems like the fear for these things has really kicked in worldwide. Just 45 minutes ago whe got people here running away in panick during our national WW2 memorial service. Footage here and on youtube

Really scares you when watching television and just a few days ago a bomb was also found in New York, and some recent stuff in England I thought (didn't really followed that one).

What the hell happened?

pakkit

Banned
Gooster said:
Wow. All that paper trail and he picks now to be some radical?

This story reminds me of the underwear bomber from last Christmas, who decided of all planes to try and take down, take down the one going to Detroit.
Or that man in Texas that took out the IRS building.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
What the hell happened?

Nothing too serious.

First it was reported someone got ill, bumped into some railings (if that's the right word). Those fell, caused a bang and people panicked.

Now I hear something about someone running into the public screaming like mad (during the two minutes silence to remember the victims of WW2), which caused panick. He is now arrested I think.

There are a few people wounded from falling during the panick, nothing bad. But it shows how scared we are for terrorist attacks and that just a small incident can quickly cause panick to such a large group of people.

Better footage

ClosingADoor said:
Nothing too serious.

First it was reported someone got ill, bumped into some railings (if that's the right word). Those fell, caused a bang and people panicked.

Now I hear something about someone running into the public screaming like mad (during the two minutes silence to remember the victims of WW2), which caused panick. He is now arrested I think.

There are a few people wounded from falling during the panick, nothing bad. But it shows how scared we are for terrorist attacks and that just a small incident can quickly cause panick to such a large group of people.

Better footage

Ah, I can hear it in the better clip. I can see why people thought it might be gunfire. Granted, that's not the best way to react.

pakkit said:
Or that man in Texas that took out the IRS building.

Or that kid in Florida from almost immediately after 9/11, but I don't know if he could be called a terrorist, despite his plans but he only ended up killing himself.

Atrus

Gold Member
pakkit said:
Did I deny the religious factor? Feel free to read about Islamic history if you want to see how Britain and France's purely colonial disintegration of the Ottoman Empire, the implementation of the Zionist movement (an idea that I'm NOT against), and US policy's with Muslim nations since the Cold War (feeding them money in exchange for aid/coups, and then leaving them to dry) have fed into Islam's current trend with terrorism.

Or not. Just don't call it a persecution complex.

Oh I know history, and what you're repeating is nothing but an indulgence in that persecution complex. Frankly, the fact that you have to expand the scope from Pakistan to Muslims in general is quite telling of it and it is parf of the problem. Idiots being led to believe that all Muslims share in the same plight.

It is complete horseshit, but eagerly gobbled up by the weak-minded.

devilhawk

I don't know, the multiple trips to Pakistan for months at a time probably make it hard to pay your mortgage.

The media and the FBI are hinting too much for me to believe he was simply disgruntled.

pakkit

Banned
Eh - fuck it.

I still hold that having knowledge about Islam's history might help the US develop a foreign policy that avoids the pitfalls of the past.

But I've flown to far off course. This man is an idiot, and he does Pakistani Americans a great disservice by validating the racial stereotyping they are subjected to.

Ah, I can hear it in the better clip. I can see why people thought it might be gunfire. Granted, that's not the best way to react.

No, but if everyone around you start running, I know I will as well in that situation. And on april 30th, 2009 we also got an attack in Holland when someone drove through a crowd during Queensday, killing 8 people, so people are really scared for that to happen again.

Video from point of view of the crowd btw: youtube.

ClosingADoor said:
No, but if everyone around you start running, I know I will as well in that situation. And on april 30th, 2009 we also got an attack in Holland when someone drove through a crowd during Queensday, killing 8 people, so people are really scared for that to happen again.

Holy crap... that is terrifying.

ClosingADoor said:

That video is truly scary. This is the real danger of terrorism.

civilstrife said:
That video is truly scary. This is the real danger of terrorism.

Yeah, luckily it wasn't a real terrorist act.

At the moment reports go around of a guy in a black robe and long black beard (jewish orthodox some say) causing some kind of disturbance during the two minute silence.

Six policemen worked him to the ground while he screamed and some railings got kicked over, causing the sound and following panick.

Atrus said:
With the number of incidences involving Pakistanis, I think the reputation is spoken for. It's not like Bangladeshis are up to this sort of thing in terms of frequency despite being close to Pakistan geographically. This is all tied into the way the religion has infected the culture to a point where persecution complexes and indecent ideas like Jihad or Caliphates abound.

Pakistan, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan are all on top of the list of terroist training centres. All of them being guilty of drinking too much of the religious kool-aid.

Bangladeshi's aren't quite capable of doing anything, period. We're like the neanderthals of the South Asian subcontinent.

Funny how this terrorist wanted to kill Americans in Time Fucking Square, where it's mostly full of tourists and other Muslim people. Thank God this guy was such a dumbass.

Blu_LED said:
So what now? Do they put him on trail?

He was arrested, no idea if they'll charge him with something.

Someone filmed this with his phone afterward: youtube. Lot's of people crying and in shock.

About thirty people are wounded. Some broken bones and minor injuries.

giga

The hell is this? These guys are the same ones who screamed healthcare reform was unconstitutional?

– “I think obviously that [mirandizing Shahzad] would be a serious mistake until we’ve — at least until we find out as much information as we have, and there are ways — legal ways — of delaying that.” — Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)

– “I hope that [Attorney General Eric] Holder did discuss this with the intelligence community. If they believe they got enough from him, how much more should they get? Did they Mirandize him? I know he’s an American citizen but still.” — Rep. Peter King (R-NY)

- "I think it’s time for us to look at whether we want to amend that law to apply it to American citizens who choose to become affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations, whether they should not also be deprived automatically of their citizenship, and therefore be deprived of rights that come with that citizenship when they are apprehended and charged with a terrorist act." - Joe Lieberman (I-CT)

I walked past there on my way home Saturday night at 3:30 am and Times Square was empty. It was actually pretty crazy with all the streets closed off.

Gooster said:
Wow. All that paper trail and he picks now to be some radical?

This story reminds me of the underwear bomber from last Christmas, who decided of all planes to try and take down, take down the one going to Detroit.

We're dealing with the St. Louis Rams of terrorism now.

Ouch :lol

ClosingADoor said:
He was arrested, no idea if they'll charge him with something.

Someone filmed this with his phone afterward: youtube. Lot's of people crying and in shock.

About thirty people are wounded. Some broken bones and minor injuries.

As a Jew, I cannot even express how deeply embarrassing that is for me, and to hear people were injured, and during a World War II memorial.

I detest the lunatic wing of Judaism so much, they and the fanatical wing of Islam are both still sitting at a bus stop waiting for the trip to modernity. Sadly, it seems like that bus has the average delays of New Jersey Transit...meaning no modernity for them till 3021.

As a Jew, I cannot even express how deeply embarrassing that is for me, and to hear people were injured, and during a World War II memorial.

Please note these reports are comming from Twitter. Police have not yet confirmed anything. But our prime-minister mentioned some briefcase. Probably had people thinking he was carrying a bomb or something.

giga said:
The hell is this? These guys are the same ones who screamed healthcare reform was unconstitutional?

– “I think obviously that [mirandizing Shahzad] would be a serious mistake until we’ve — at least until we find out as much information as we have, and there are ways — legal ways — of delaying that.” — Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)

– “I hope that [Attorney General Eric] Holder did discuss this with the intelligence community. If they believe they got enough from him, how much more should they get? Did they Mirandize him? I know he’s an American citizen but still.” — Rep. Peter King (R-NY)

- "I think it’s time for us to look at whether we want to amend that law to apply it to American citizens who choose to become affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations, whether they should not also be deprived automatically of their citizenship, and therefore be deprived of rights that come with that citizenship when they are apprehended and charged with a terrorist act." - Joe Lieberman (I-CT)

Well, not to give to much support to Liberman, but we already have that, as a naturalized citizen, he can still have his citizenship revoked and when he's released (in a box), he can be deported back to Pakistan. I personally think we should just find a way to charge them with treason like the little bitch who is the spokesman for Al-Qeada.

They can still question him even if he was Mirandized, so I don't see what the big deal is, there are TONS and I mean a METRIC TON of ways to get around a Miranda violation, besides its not an automatic exclusion of evidence.

Most of what they get from him will be used against others, which means it can't be excluded against them. Miranda violations only have standing if you had the right violated. More importantly, most of these guys LOVE to talk, it's there claim to fame since they will most likely (after many years) be executed or rot in Florence.

Dreams-Visions said:
I guess we should have believed the Pakistani Taliban when they accepted responsibility a day or 2 ago.

There are several terrorist organizations within Pakistan

Even if this guy did have support from abroad (nobody is sure yet), it's no guarantee he's formally affiliated with any of the organizations there. The jury is still out on this fact of the case.

Dyno

effingvic said:
Bangladeshi's aren't quite capable of doing anything, period. We're like the neanderthals of the South Asian subcontinent.

You're being too hard on your people. Didn't the Bangladeshi successfully break away from Pakistan, taking a large chunk of land in the process? That ain't bad!

I work right beside a Bangladeshi, not eight feet away. He's a right proper chap and his lunches always smell delicious. Plus, he's working away like crazy right now and I'm fucking around on a message board.

Dyno

Four_Chamber said:
There are several terrorist organizations within Pakistan

Even if this guy did have support from abroad (nobody is sure yet), it's no guarantee he's formally affiliated with any of the organizations there. The jury is still out on this fact of the case.

Pakistan's terrorist organizations take the form of training camps in Afghanistan. Actually it's the I.S.I. who does these things. Pakistan's secret service is something of a shadow government mostly beyond the direct control of the elected officials or the army. They assist volunteers around the world to make it to the camps to receive basic training, demolitions, and further indoctrination. The main reason why Pakistan engages in this activity is because many of these jihadi are then sent to Kashmir where they fight against the Indians.

These camps are primarily funded by charities, the International Islamic Relief Organization being the most promenent. Once trained however the ties that bind these people are very loose. They gain inspiration from fiery mullahs in their madrassas along the Pakistan/Aghan border but the movement itself doesn't maintain communications or logistical support with the jihadi they have trained. They are free to take what they have learned and wage jihad in any way they can.

The C.I.A.'s ability to thwart these kinds of attacks is extremely limited for this reason. Communication - and therefore intelligence - between this character and his ideological mentors is probably non-existant.

Deku said:
The failure of de-colonization is truly staggering.

The world needs new empires.

Because oppression is clearly the answer here? That would only create even more unrest in the world and more terrorist act against those empires.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Honestly the world was way better off when these people were "oppressed" (i.e., properly governed, since they obviously can't do it themselves).

Deku

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
Because oppression is clearly the answer here? That would only create even more unrest in the world and more terrorist act against those empires.

control is the right answer. The story 20th century is the fall of the west, and what you're witnessing is the vacuum left behind by the European empires.

unstable countries needs to be taken over. not left to rot, the results of which we've seen. Much of the misery of Africa is directly linked to de-colonization. Rwanda would not have happened if the Belgians or a European power was in charge. But I suppose Hutu oppression is preffered to Belgian ones to you.

Suffice to say, the fantasies of the the far-left with regards to the liberalization of the world from 'empires' is largely that, fantasies. As I noted, the failures of de-colonization is absolutely staggering.

ClosingADoor said:

Wow.

That is Flight in it's purest form.

Amazing.

AstroLad said:
Honestly the world was way better off when these people were "oppressed" (i.e., properly governed, since they obviously can't do it themselves).

Maybe in the short term. But what if a country like Iran will turn around and the youth there someday overthrows their government and make a great nation? Would you rather see them being oppressed? Would you rather be the oppressor who keeps down entire nations, because of fear some people there will turn against you?

Yes, of course the current situation with terrorists is awfull. But should we decline entire nations their freedom, because we are scared of a few?

Were people in Eastern Europe better of during the reign of the USSR? If we stretch it, was America better of when it was under control of the English?

Isn't freedom the highest good, the thing we value most in our society? Why would we not want others to enjoy that freedom then. Even if the steps to get there are hard.

ryutaro's mama said:
Wow.

That is Flight in it's purest form.

Amazing.

Got another one for you, the first 20 seconds are frightening: video

And for the people interested, a second guy is arrested. Seems like the first was screaming something, no one knows exactly what. The police jumped on him, and then someone nearby dropped a suitcase and began to run (i think). A police officer on a horse was seen taking the briefcase away.

Deku said:
Rwanda would not have happened if the Belgians or a European power was in charge. But I suppose Hutu oppression is preffered to Belgian ones to you.

European colonization of Africa was a mess- its hardly surprising that the decolonization of those countries was messy as well.

The Belgian rulers were largely responsible for magnifying the ethnic polarization in Rwanda- Hutu and Tutsi. The Hutu and Tutsi weren't at each other's throats before Europe got involved in Africa. After several years of Belgium placing almost exclusively Tutsis in higher levels of government, its hardly surprising that the majority Hutus would not be happy.

Your perfect omnipotent colonizer to save the poor countries of the world doesn't exist buddy.

Dude Abides

Banned
Deku said:
Rwanda would not have happened if the Belgians or a European power was in charge. But I suppose Hutu oppression is preffered to Belgian ones to you.

Indeed. If there's gonna be genocide, whites will do it much more efficiently. None of this backwards machete nonsense.

LQX

Dude Abides said:
Indeed. If there's gonna be genocide, whites will do it much more efficiently. None of this backwards machete nonsense.
Plus they would put up better numbers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Emirates Airlines said the suspect bought his ticket with cash at the airport counter, and the staff, considering that unusual, immediately informed airport security officials.

What a goddamned goddamned idiot.

Deku said:
control is the right answer. The story 20th century is the fall of the west, and what you're witnessing is the vacuum left behind by the European empires.

unstable countries needs to be taken over. not left to rot, the results of which we've seen. Much of the misery of Africa is directly linked to de-colonization. Rwanda would not have happened if the Belgians or a European power was in charge. But I suppose Hutu oppression is preffered to Belgian ones to you.

Suffice to say, the fantasies of the the far-left with regards to the liberalization of the world from 'empires' is largely that, fantasies. As I noted, the failures of de-colonization is absolutely staggering.

Frantz Fanon would disagree with you. Blacks who've lost their native cultural identity and were considered to be second class. Then there's the opression and use of torture.

Deku said:

I'm sure the institutionalized second and third class citizenry would've loved for that to continue in perpetuity.

In fact, they'd be happier with their masters taking care of all the important things in life!

xbhaskarx

Ward Thrasher, assistant dean at the University of Bridgeport School of Business, recalled working with Shahzad in the spring of 2005 and described him as a "fairly unremarkable" student and individual.

He told NBC most of the faculty don't remember him at all, and although Shahzad earned his degree, he was "not a standout."

Thrasher said Shahzad was working full-time while earning his degree, and that "studying was not a priority for him."

What a way to be remembered :lol

This guy is the embodiment of epic failure on so many levels

"By my calculations, 53 hours and 20 minutes elapsed from the time Faisal Shahzad crossed Broadway to the time he was apprehended at Kennedy Airport," Kelly said. "We know Jack Bauer can do it in 24 [hours]. But in the real world, 53's not bad."

Pretty freakin badass :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom