• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
we need more technology in this country... only reason people didnt die is because of the guy's stupidity.. any smarter guy would have had this go off without a hitch.. radars cameras and other preventative measures should be set up

Malleymal said:
we need more technology in this country... only reason people didnt die is because of the guy's stupidity.. any smarter guy would have had this go off without a hitch.. radars cameras and other preventative measures should be set up

Radars? What? :lol

He worked on Wall Street:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36934331/ns/us_news-security

g-cvr-100504-faisal-shahzad-fb-630a.standard.jpg

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
CharlieDigital said:
Radars? What? :lol

they have radars that detect chemicals at the tunnels around the city for trucks and cars that are entering, i think they need more of those inside the city... whats funny about that?

Malleymal said:
they have radars that detect chemicals at the tunnels around the city for trucks and cars that are entering, i think they need more of those inside the city... whats funny about that?

RADAR is an acronym for: RAdio Detection And Ranging

It's not going to find chemical traces. Not to mention that gasoline and propane are common anyways. Perhaps the fertilizer might be a chemical trigger (in this case, it may not have been because reports seem to indicate that it was non-explosive). In any case, radar is not the right tool.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CharlieDigital said:
It's not going to find chemical traces. Not to mention that gasoline and propane are common anyways. Perhaps the fertilizer might be a chemical trigger (in this case, it may not have been because reports seem to indicate that it was non-explosive). In any case, radar is not the right tool.
Ok fine, sonar then.

LQX

What a idiot asshole. Instead of just living his live he decides to be a incompetent terrorist at 30 years old.

Canova

Banned
I just don't get these people. They immigrated to the West, then somehow they decided they didn't like our way of life and decided to bomb innocent people.

Gallbaro

Banned
jamieson87 said:
Well, maybe it should be.

But the camera who has the guy changing his top, if that camera is stationary, it would have caught somebody leaving the car. no?

There are cameras all over NYC. However the police need a warrant issued by a judge to use them. The way it should be.

canova said:
I just don't get these people. They immigrated to the West, then somehow they decided they didn't like our way of life and decided to bomb innocent people.
He was probably ecstatic to go back to Dubai in order to escape our culture of rampant decadence, materialism, celebrity worship, and -

11cba7a.jpg

wk045v.jpg

Oh...

Zapages

As a Pakistani, screw him for destroying Pakistani Muslim reputation! What a waste of a life and hurting millions of people at the same time. What would have he gotten from killing innocent people! That goes against Islam and everything you live for.

Ready Up Already said:
He was probably ecstatic to go back to Dubai in order to escape our culture of rampant decadence, materialism, celebrity worship, and -

http://i43.tinypic.com/11cba7a.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/wk045v.jpg[IMG]

Oh...[/QUOTE]

To be fair he was transferring in Dubai to Pakistan.

Valkyr Junkie said:
To be fair he was transferring in Dubai to Pakistan.
To be fair fuck him! :D

Like I said earlier he can enjoy the simple lifestyle of Florence. That place used to be Amnesty's hard on in the US before Guantanamo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADX_Florence

He's going to wish he was dead.

EDIT: Someone actually edited his name in for Notable Prisoners and I swear it wasn't me lol Guess someone else had a similar thought.

Gallbaro said:
There are cameras all over NYC. However the police need a warrant issued by a judge to use them. The way it should be.

Are you sure? They all have signs stating that they are there and you may be recorded (or something close to that). I think the issue is that as long as its disclosed to the public its fine.

So he's due in court today. If he gets a public defender appointed to him I feel really bad for that lawyer. He's going to get so much shit for defending this guy.

Ready Up Already said:

11cba7a.jpg

wk045v.jpg

Oh...

Someone should bring 'A clockwork orange' to the middle east, movie or book. I'm sure they wouldn't get the message either way.

demosthenes said:
So he's due in court today. If he gets a public defender appointed to him I feel really bad for that lawyer. He's going to get so much shit for defending this guy.

Nah, PD's often have to defend the worst. The prosecutors and PDs are often friends out of court and only the moron fringe will think the lawyer approves of their client's views. I mean look at some of the hardcore conservatives who came out slamming Cheney's daughter for attacking lawyers who defended Guantanamo inmates.

JoeBoy101

Bloomberg can be such a douchebag:

Link

NEW YORK—Mayor Michael Bloomberg says New York City "will not tolerate any bias" following the arrest of a U.S. citizen from Pakistan in the Times Square car bombing attempt.

Bloomberg said Tuesday that also applies to potential backlash against Muslim New Yorkers.

The mayor said there are "a few bad apples" among any groups. He also cited New York's long history of accepting cultures from the around the world.

Now wait a second Michael, any word yet on how he felt about the healthcare bill? I mean, let's not jump to conclusions or anything.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Bu bu bu bu but how is he gonna get passed around like a pack of cigarettes in solitary confinement?

I'd say the complete destruction of his sanity and sense of the outside world is better than the occasional forced sodomy. lol

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'd say the complete destruction of his sanity and sense of the outside world is better than the occasional forced sodomy. lol

Why not let him bounce around for a bit before solitary confinement?

Atrus

Gold Member
Zapages said:
As a Pakistani, screw him for destroying Pakistani Muslim reputation! What a waste of a life and hurting millions of people at the same time. What would have he gotten from killing innocent people! That goes against Islam and everything you live for.

With the number of incidences involving Pakistanis, I think the reputation is spoken for. It's not like Bangladeshis are up to this sort of thing in terms of frequency despite being close to Pakistan geographically. This is all tied into the way the religion has infected the culture to a point where persecution complexes and indecent ideas like Jihad or Caliphates abound.

Pakistan, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan are all on top of the list of terroist training centres. All of them being guilty of drinking too much of the religious kool-aid.

Terrorists sure do suck at terrorizing nowadays.

Also, people should have been suspicious the moment they realized someone managed to park their car on the street in Times Square. :lol

Gooster said:

Also, people should have been suspicious the moment they realized someone managed to park their car on the street in Times Square. :lol

Tell me about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/04/new.york.car.bomb/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Shahzad's purchase of a ticket to Islamabad, Pakistan, with cash "flagged him" to the airline's staff, said a senior official with Emirates Airlines in Dubai.

The official said the airline's staff regarded the purchase as unusual.

The suspect had no reservation and bought his ticket with cash at the counter. The official said Emirates staff informed security officials at the airport immediately.

pakkit

Banned
Atrus said:
With the number of incidences involving Pakistanis, I think the reputation is spoken for. It's not like Bangladeshis are up to this sort of thing in terms of frequency despite being close to Pakistan geographically. This is all tied into the way the religion has infected the culture to a point where persecution complexes and indecent ideas like Jihad or Caliphates abound.

Pakistan, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan are all on top of the list of terroist training centres. All of them being guilty of drinking too much of the religious kool-aid.
You're over-simplifying the problem if you think Islam is the only driving factor in terrorist attacks. The US's (and Europes) foreign policy and pseudo-colonialism over the past hundred years helped create and cultivate this breeding ground for anti-capitalism.

But this isn't the place. Dude was an asshole, a crazy asshole, and, judging by his plans, a pretty stupid one at that.

pakkit said:
You're over-simplifying the problem if you think Islam is the only driving factor in terrorist attacks. The US's (and Europes) foreign policy over the past hundred years helped create and cultivate this breeding ground for anti-capitalism and pseudo-colonialism.
Yeah, but the Pakistan (when their first Civilian rule took over) and Saudi Arabia (and Afghanistan via the former two countries) have nurtured it for their own means of political control independent of US and European Foreign policy. Still as you said, this isn't really the place.

CharlieDigital said:

+1 for Global Anti-Terrorism Co-Operation and looking for odd purchase behavor. Good Job Emirate Air! I mean that with all seriousness. Thanks guy!

pakkit

Banned
Emirates Airline also is a pretty bitching airline. They've got great food and service.

It's just UAE that sucks.

EDIT: Stupid typo. Sorry University of Alabama at Birmingham.

pakkit said:
Emirates Airline also is a pretty bitching airline. They've got great food and service.

It's just UAB that sucks.

UAB?

I've heard many good thinks about Emirates Air. I'd love to visit some Brit Ex-Pat friends who live their when I get the chance one day. Nice thing is by that time the whole we're check any Jewish passenger crap should be over (thanks again Israel for making it awkward for the rest of us :lol ). God bless my US passport, allows one to bypass so much crap.

Gooster said:

:lol

This guy is a freakin moron- he's gonna enjoy life at the Supermax with shoebomber.

They should just house all these fails together- such a concentration of epic fail might cause a space-time disturbance though.

But as said before, AMERICA FUCK YEAH! Badass job by all parties involved.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The only thing I don't understand is how the past administration and this administration are calling this and any related events Weapons of Mass Destruction. We can't just prosecute him with Terrorist activity with dangerous explosives? We need to somehow protect the idiocy of invading Iraq?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I still say they should set him up in the middle of Times Square and let every New Yorker give him a kick in the nuts.

Atrus

Gold Member
pakkit said:
You're over-simplifying the problem if you think Islam is the only driving factor in terrorist attacks. The US's (and Europes) foreign policy and pseudo-colonialism over the past hundred years helped create and cultivate this breeding ground for anti-capitalism.

But this isn't the place. Dude was an asshole, a crazy asshole, and, judging by his plans, a pretty stupid one at that.

Which explains why colonial nations like India or the entirety of Africa is behind this sort of international violence. While I never indicated it to be the only factor, religious ideology is a key factor. Blaming colonialism for this is just another sign of people unwilling to accept responsibility for current failures. It's just another symptom of the persecution complex.

A bit off-topic, but seems like the fear for these things has really kicked in worldwide. Just 45 minutes ago whe got people here running away in panick during our national WW2 memorial service. Footage here and on youtube

Really scares you when watching television and just a few days ago a bomb was also found in New York, and some recent stuff in England I thought (didn't really followed that one).

Atrus said:
Which explains why colonial nations like India or the entirety of Africa is behind this sort of international violence. While I never indicated it to be the only factor, religious ideology is a key factor. Blaming colonialism for this is just another sign of people unwilling to accept responsibility for current failures. It's just another symptom of the persecution complex.

Its a slew of things that cause terrorism but the bottom line is that there are a lot of fucked up parts of Pakistan that need to be regulated, one way or another. It's no surprise that a large number of terror arrests are connected to Pakistan one way or another- there are those four college aged kids from the US being prosecuted there right now for example.

Taking care of the Pakistani problem will go a long way towards minimizing global terror and I think that's a fact that's becoming more and more evident with each passing day.

Alucrid

Banned
Four_Chamber said:
:lol

This guy is a freakin moron- he's gonna enjoy life at the Supermax with shoebomber.

They should just house all these fails together- such a concentration of epic fail might cause a space-time disturbance though.

But as said before, AMERICA FUCK YEAH! Badass job by all parties involved.

Perhaps they should put them in a cell with some supplies and say, "Okay guys, if can make an actual working bomb you can get out of here."

Yamauchi said:
I'm utterly shocked that he was an Islamic terrorist.

An interesting twist:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/04/new.york.car.bomb/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Court documents reveal Shahzad purchased a house that entered foreclosure proceedings last year.

Documents from Connecticut's Milford Superior Court show that Shahzad and Huma Mian purchased a home at 119 Long Hill Ave. in Shelton in July 2004. They took out a mortgage for $218,400 from Chase Manhattan Mortgage Corp.

Last September, the mortgage company began foreclosure proceedings. As of December 14, Shahzad and Mian owed $207,837.

Might he just have been disgruntled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom