• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schrade said:
I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that he's specifically white from this, though. Of course they may have a much better quality video than what was shown on the link above.

The police probably zoomed in and enhanced.

devilhawk

What reason would the police have to not release the video at the highest quality? Hard to tell if the guy is white from what I saw.

Teabaggers drive 'merikan cars anyways.

AkuMifune

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Terrorist groups try to take credit for everything under the sun to build their name. Remember that shooting in Binghamton, NY a little over a year ago? That's where I live. A Korean immigrant did it by himself. The Taliban of Afghanistan claimed credit for it. The shooter and the Taliban had no link whatsoever but they still tried to take credit for it.

Coincidentally that's where I was born.

But that asshole actually killed a bunch of people, whoever did this just sucks. If someone took credit for it and then said they had another bomb somewhere I wouldn't sweat it. But judging from the video this may be more of a lone whackjob scenario.

Keyser Soze said:
Well, we got a cool photo out of this...

times-square_365146s.jpg

...wish it was bigger/clearer
This picture reminds me of how shit NYC streets are. Shit and litter everywhere, with roads that have fucking craters and ridges in between.

Zenith

Banned
What's funny is the people thinking it might be to do with South Park because it was near the Viacom building, completely missing the point that it was also in TIMES FUCKING SQUARE, a slightly higher profile target.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
NYC isn't littered with cameras the way, say, London is.

Well, maybe it should be.

But the camera who has the guy changing his top, if that camera is stationary, it would have caught somebody leaving the car. no?

jamieson87 said:

But the camera who has the guy changing his top, if that camera is stationary, it would have caught somebody leaving the car. no?

New Yorkers would never go for that.
At least not all at once.

jamieson87 said:

The footage is a block or two away from where the car bomb was, he's not changing his shirt right in front of it. That's why it's not clear whether he's the culprit, a camera just happened to catch someone doing something shifty nearby.

AceBandage said:

We'll let our mayors stay in office indefinitely but we draw the line at security cameras!

AceBandage said:

Ok, being from the CCTV nation that is The United Kingdom, it seems very strange to me that such an incident would not have been directly captured on CCTV.

Hari Seldon

Is the only evidence that he stopped and changed his shirt? I'm sure they can interview the dude and compare his prints to whatever is in the car and decide for sure.

Looks like the NYPD has their guy... if they can find him.

Hunt is on for missing Conn. man who bought car bomb Nissan just 2 weeks ago on Craigslist
By Alison Gendar, Rocco Parascandola and Corky Siemaszko
Daily News Staff Writers

Originally Published:Monday, May 3rd 2010, 4:46 PM
Updated: Monday, May 3rd 2010, 4:53 PM

A mystery man paid $1,300 cash for the Nissan Pathfinder last month after meeting the seller through craigslist.com.

A Connecticut man was being sought Monday in the failed plot to blow up a bomb-laden SUV in Times Square, sources said.

This "person of interest" bought the 1993 Nissan Pathfinder that was abandoned with the engine running - and with primitive, but potentially deadly payload in the rear - just two weeks ago, law enforcement and police sources told The Daily News.

Investigators aren't certain whether he is the same man who drove the rolling bomb to the Crossroads of the World, but he has not been seen by his girlfriend - and has not shown up at his home or job - since the frightening incident on Saturday night.

Detectives from the NYPD and FBI identified the SUV owner after tracking down the registration of the previous owner, who told investigators he'd sold the vehicle.

The mystery man met the seller through craigslist.com and paid $1,300 cash for the Pathfinder, the Daily News has learned.

The revelation came as:

- The News learned from sources that forensic evidence found in the Pathfinder points to the possibility that whoever prepared the car bomb has links to foreign terrorists.

- The White House uttered the T-word for the first time in connection with the failed plot that sent a scare through the city. "I would say that was intended to terrorize, and I would say that whomever did that would be categorized as a terrorist," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

- Vehicular traffic in and out of Manhattan slowed to a crawl as officers checked suspicious looking trucks entering the East River tunnels - and gave New Yorkers a jarring flashback to the tense days after the 9/11 attacks.

- Police were still trying to identify a man who was caught on tape moments after the SUV - packed with enough fuel, fertilizer and explosives to ignite a massive fireball - was abandoned in Times Square.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg warned the person on the tape may not be a suspect.

"It was a hot day," he said. "Maybe he was just changing his shirt. And this is Times Square, where you have the Naked Cowboy."

Security cameras captured a white man who appears to be in his 40s leaving the scene on W. 45th St. while the Pathfinder sat with its engine running, hazard lights flashing - and smoke curling from its vents.

On the video, the man takes off a dark shirt to reveal a red one underneath as he hurries along Shubert Alley.

"He looks around, takes off that shirt, puts it in a bag and continues to walk south, looking a couple of times in a furtive manner," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
More here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...ints_to_overseas_terrorist_involvement_w.html

From the Washington Post:

Investigators are getting closer to tracking down a person of interest in the attempted bombing in Times Square, identifying the man as a naturalized U.S. citizen who is originally from Pakistan, according to a senior administration official.

The man is believed to have used cash three weeks ago to purchase the sport-utility vehicle that was loaded with explosive material and left Saturday night in midtown Manhattan, law enforcement sources said. Officials said Monday that they have developed domestic and international leads in a plot that appears more complex now than it did when the investigation began.

hitsugi

RustyNails said:
This picture reminds me of how shit NYC streets are. Shit and litter everywhere, with roads that have fucking craters and ridges in between.

this is why you just don't drive in NYC.. and no one else should unless they're a cab

Barrett2

jamieson87 said:

They are currently trying to install cameras in Times Square & the Financial District, but the state is trying to get more money from the Feds for the project. I would think this incident will be the catalyst to finally get more funding for it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Sysgen said:
Don't know if its been mentioned but the fertilizer found in the vehicle was the non explosive type.
these Pakistani finaciers didn't get their money's worth.

tarius1210 said:
I thought it was a white guy from America, not that it matters. We need a picture of this guy.
“Federal authorities are closing in on the man they say is a person of interest in the Times Square car bomb attempt this weekend, who is described as a naturalized American citizen who hails from Pakistan and just returned after spending five months there. There is growing evidence the bomber did not act alone and had ties to radical elements overseas, with one senior official telling ABC News there are several individuals believed to be connected with the bombing and that at least one of them is a Pakistani-American.”
damn those teabaggers, rite

AkuMifune said:
Coincidentally that's where I was born.

But that asshole actually killed a bunch of people, whoever did this just sucks. If someone took credit for it and then said they had another bomb somewhere I wouldn't sweat it. But judging from the video this may be more of a lone whackjob scenario.
You grew up in Binghamton? I grew up in Elmira.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Looks like we jumped to the right conclusion in the first place:

New York (CNN) -- The buyer of the sport-utility vehicle used in a failed attempt to set off a car bomb in New York's Times Square is considered a potential suspect in the case, a law enforcement source said Monday.

The buyer is a naturalized U.S. citizen from Pakistan, but investigators are looking at more than one person in connection with the unsuccessful bombing, the source said

At least at first blush. For all I know he could have been a devout Christian. But if it walks like a duck...

OuterWorldVoice said:
Looks like we jumped to the right conclusion in the first place:

At least at first blush. For all I know he could have been a devout Christian. But if it walks like a duck...
NYPD knows where the guys lives and where he works. Apparently he hasn't shown up at his house or his job since the attempted bombing. How long can it possibly be before he's caught? Unless he has managed to leave the country...

Stinkles

MassiveAttack said:
NYPD knows where the guys lives and where he works. Apparently he hasn't shown up at his house or his job since the attempted bombing. How long can it possibly be before he's caught? Unless he has managed to leave the country...

It would be nice if they released his photo. They definitely have it if he's naturalized.

Nothing stopping him going from Times Square to JFK.

Wickerman

Connecticut Man in Custody for Times Square Car Bomb Scare
By PETE WILLIAMS and JONATHAN DIENST
Updated 12:09 AM EDT, Tue, May 4, 2010

A man in Connecticut has been taken into custody in connection with the Times Square car bomb case.

No further details have been released about the action which took place just after midnight.

New York police and FBI agents had narrowed their focus on a Pakistani-American -- a US citizen -- who lives in Connecticut and is believed to have bought online the Nissan Pathfinder that drove into Times Square Saturday night with a bomb.

Investigators know that the man's name was on an email that was sent to the seller of the SUV last month after they connected on Craigslist, but officials cannot definitively say whether he used his own email or whether someone else sent it from his account.

And even if the man, who lives in Shelton Connecticut, did use his own account, and is the person who bought the car, investigators don't know whether he is also the man who drove it into Times Square Saturday night.

Nonetheless, he is the strongest lead yet.

The FBI has checked his records and found repeated contacts overseas, but they cannot say tonight whether those are innocent or somehow related to the bombing attempt.

One of the officials told The Associated Press that the potential suspect recently traveled to Pakistan.

A senior official says there's a growing feeling that the bombing may have some overseas connection, but they cannot be certain. And if there is, they don't know whether it's inspirational or operational. They doubt it's directed by an established group overseas, because the nature of the bomb was so badly assembled.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...an-on-Video-in-Failed-Bomb-Plot-92654139.html

Stinkles

nvestigators know that the man's name was on an email that was sent to the seller of the SUV last month after they connected on Craigslist, but officials cannot definitively say whether he used his own email or whether someone else sent it from his account.

And even if the man, who lives in Shelton Connecticut, did use his own account, and is the person who bought the car, investigators don't know whether he is also the man who drove it into Times Square Saturday night

The half-assed job he did with the VIN number, this guy is a less adept criminal than a crack addict smashing car windows for crack.

Stinkles

According to NBC, the man's name is Shahzad Faisal, a 30-year-old U.S. citizen of Pakistani descent.

Wickerman said:
CNN is saying that he was arrested at JFK. It looks like they caught the bastard just before boarding a flight

Hell yeah- that's some CSI badass business going on. I might be crazy, but it makes me feel good that the government was able to take care of business like this and catch this SOB.

PS- Love the avatrar

Wickerman said:
CNN is saying that he was arrested at JFK. It looks like they caught the bastard just before boarding a flight
In b4 this fact gets co-opted into being used to advocate racial profiling. Glad they caught him, though; hopefully he'll go away for a long time.

Dude Abides

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
According to NBC, the man's name is Shahzad Faisal, a 30-year-old U.S. citizen of Pakistani descent.

Citizen, eh? No matter - off to Gitmo with you!

devilhawk said:
Teabaggers drive 'merikan cars anyways.

Buy a car made by filthy commie UAW workers for Government Motors? 'bagger please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom