• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
Woah. Scary. This is just up from my brother's old building.

Yeah... right next to where my gf works and a few blocks from where my company is moving to... awesome.

My office is moving from The Village up to Times Square, which sucks... and we all semi-joke that we're in the "Dirty Bomb Area." It's not really funny, but you can't do anything but laugh... because it's too scary to think about otherwise.

ronito

sad that in a few years we've gone to "OMG! It's teh Islamic terrrrists!"

To "Hrmm....is it the terrists? Or some crazy conservative?"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
scorcho said:
well, it would help if you actually address the rest of my statement, then, and explain how disparate, random bag searches would prevent a determined attack on the subway system. or how this has anything to do with this topic at hand.

security theater does not equate to security, hence the theater.

Actually security theater does work in a limited fashion. it discourages, simply by its appearance, certain types of attack. It's not exactly hermetic, but does have a chilling effect on specific types of problem, although does nothing whatsoever to dissuade intent - which is the only long term fix for guerilla or terrorist activities.

The biggest problem with security "theater" however, is that it works like the mass distribution of antibiotics - the germs and bacteria adapt and find new ways to attack the host and take advantage of it.

Damn, my little brother was working there when all this went down, he said he didn't even know about it until he got home. :/

AVclub said:
To prevent someone from smuggling an explosive SUV into the subway using a purse?

Two hands to hold a machine gun = Zero hands to pull the blue wire and defuse the bomb. GGRRRRR!!!!!!! RAAAAAAGGEEE!!!!111!!!

What about to deal with the threat of a Mumbai style attack? This was an attack where you have multiple teams of assailants using automatic weapons and grenades primarily (and while some IEDs were used, most damage was done via arson attacks).

Honesty, that's what I am afraid of more and more, and that's why I like that the NYPD has heavily armored officers with automatic weapons on the subways (the first attack in Mumbai was at Victoria Station) and in certain parts of the city for rapid response and deployment. My wife works right above Penn Station so you can bet I want the NYPD to respond to a gunfire attack with overwhelming force and quickly. The inability for India to quickly deploy NSG force's figured in to the higher body count and length of the attack (as most cops were under armed for the situation).

raphier said:
My news are reporting that this car bomb was placed near where the South Park makers offices are. Is this anyhow related to that previously posted threat from extremist islam guys?
Marina del Rey, CA?

saelz8

Pakistani Taliban claim credit for failed NYC Times Square car bombing

A top Pakistani Taliban commander took credit for yesterday's failed car bomb attack in New York City.

Qari Hussain Mehsud, the top bomb maker for the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, said he takes "fully responsibility for the recent attack in the USA." Qari Hussain made the claim on an audiotape accompanied by images that was released on a YouTube website that calls itself the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel.

The tape has yet to be verified, but US intelligence officials contacted by The Long War Journal believe it is legitimate. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel on YouTube was created on April 30. Officials believe it was created to announce the Times Square attack, and Qari Hussain’s statement was pre-recorded.

All indications are the tape is legitimate. YouTube has pulled the video and shut down the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel since this article was published.
qari-hussain.JPG

Qari Hussain Mehsud. Image is from a Pakistani Army wanted poster.

"This attack is a revenge for the great & valuable martyred leaders of mujahideen," Qari Hussain said. He listed Baitullah Mehsud, the former leader of the Pakistani Taliban who was killed in a Predator strike in August 2009, and Abu Omar al Baghdadi, the former leader of al Qaeda Islamic State of Iraq who was killed by Iraqi forces in mid-April. And although he was not mentioned, an image of Abu Ayyub al Masri, the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, was also displayed in the images accompanying the audiotape.

Qari Hussain also said the failed attack was "revenge for the Global American interference & terrorism in Muslim countries, especially in Pakistan for Lal Masjid operation," a reference to the July 2008 Pakistani military assault on Islamists holed up in the Red Mosque in Islamabad, as well as Predator strikes in Pakistan's tribal areas and the arrest and detention of Pakistani scientist Aifa Siddique.

Qari Hussain warned NATO that it must denounce the US and apologize for "the massacres in Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan, and Pakistani tribal areas otherwise be prepared for the worst destruction and devastation in their regions."

At the opening of the tape, the failed car bomb was described as a "jaw-breaking blow to Satan USA," however Mayor Michael Bloomberg described the device, which failed to detonate, as “amateurish.”

The car bomb was discovered Saturday evening after a street vendor spotted smoke coming from a Nissan Pathfinder SUV and alerted police.

The bomb squad was dispatched to the scene and discovered a crude bomb made of “three canisters of propane like those used for barbecue grills, two five-gallon cans of gasoline, consumer-grade fireworks … and two clocks with batteries,” The New York Times reported.

Police currently do not have a suspect. The license plate is not registered to the Nissan, and the vehicle identification number has been removed. Police are also looking at video from surrounding stores to see if they can determine anything about the identity of the bomber.

Ripclawe

Banned
hmmm....

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Police say they have found an explosive device near the course of the Pittsburgh Marathon, forcing them to detour the final part of the race.

Police say the device was found in a small microwave oven on the sidewalk after the leaders had finished the course Sunday morning. Several blocks were cordoned off near the original finish line for the marathon and half-marathon.

The bomb squad used a robot to disable the device. The all-clear was given for the area shortly before 11 a.m. About 5,000 people took part in the full marathon.

The disruption comes a day after a car-bomb scare in New York emptied Times Square.

The tape has yet to be verified, but US intelligence officials contacted by The Long War Journal believe it is legitimate. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel on YouTube was created on April 30. Officials believe it was created to announce the Times Square attack, and Qari Hussain’s statement was pre-recorded.

Was going to call bullshit then i saw the date.. not good

saelz8 said:
Qari Hussain Mehsud, the top bomb maker for the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, said he takes "fully responsibility for the recent attack in the USA." Qari Hussain made the claim on an audiotape accompanied by images that was released on a YouTube website that calls itself the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel.

Apparently if reports on the device are correct, he's the top bomb maker from the Special Needs Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan. :lol

saelz8

The Taliban isn't really known for attacks overseas, so if this is true, this is a first for them AFAIK.

Just to clarify as well, The Pakistani Taliban is seperate from the The Taliban in Afghanistan, even apart from geography.

Stinkles

At the opening of the tape, the failed car bomb was described as a "jaw-breaking blow to Satan USA," however Mayor Michael Bloomberg described the device, which failed to detonate, as “amateurish.”

We really are lucky they're such incompetent fuckwits. My first exposure to their mentality was a Soviet eras documentary about the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan - and EVERY time they turned a camera on these fucks, they would pose comically heroically, like the cover of a romance novel.

I knew even then when they were our "allies" that they were illiterate fucking morons concerned just as much with glory and opium profits as any political theory. Half these footsoldiers have no clue what they're fighting for or against.

Stinkles

effingvic said:
Can't they search the SUV for any leads? Like checking license plate numbers, etc.

They already discovered it had a stolen plate from a Connecticut junkyard, the VIN was stripped, but I believe they still id'd the origin of the truck.

saelz8

OuterWorldVoice said:
We really are lucky they're such incompetent fuckwits. My first exposure to their mentality was a Soviet eras documentary about the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan - and EVERY time they turned a camera on these fucks, they would pose comically heroically, like the cover of a romance novel.

I knew even then when they were our "allies" that they were illiterate fucking morons concerned just as much with glory and opium profits as any political theory. Half these footsoldiers have no clue what they're fighting for or against.
The thing is though, they usually aren't incompetent. They are good at making bombs.

A lot of those bombs that go off in Pakistan are made by them.

The scary thing? Whoever planted the bomb is still at large. He's watching all this right now.

Stinkles

saelz8 said:
The thing is though, they usually aren't incompetent. They are good at making bombs.

A lot of those bombs that go off in Pakistan are made by them.

The scary thing? Whoever planted the bomb is still at large. He's watching all this right now.

By "they" I mean their foreign efforts - they fail with incredible frequency - and even their successes are usually their good luck matched with OUR incompetence. 9/11 should have been caught and stopped. It wasn't because of our idiocy as much as their planning.

saelz8 said:

I'm concerned that it was merely meant to be the start of something, and there are other teams actively related to this plan still at large. Regarding this putz I would expect him to be trying to get out of the country now (even if this was a domestic group). I wouldn't be surprised if we catch him at a boarder crossing or an airport.

lunarworks said:
Isn't that redundant?

It's meant to be ironic.

scorcho said:
well, it would help if you actually address the rest of my statement, then, and explain how disparate, random bag searches would prevent a determined attack on the subway system. or how this has anything to do with this topic at hand.

security theater does not equate to security, hence the theater.
Ding ding ding! It would be one thing if you had to have your bag checked to take the subway, but you don't. If I really wanted to take the train to Grand Central with a bomb and cops were checking bags at Astor Place, guess what! I could walk over to Union Square where they won't be checking bags and go that way! As it is, the only purpose the bag checks serve is to crack down on idiot kids who have some weed in their bags and don't think to go to another station
(and I say that almost from experience :lol)

MIMIC

Banned
Er.....on CNN, they just said that they are looking at whether Viacom was a possible target as a response to the South Park Mohammad episode. @_@

I just don't believe anyone who would claim responsibility for this right now. Why? It makes them look weak. The top bomb makers of your cell are complete amateurs? Real intimidating.

Timan

Developer
You'd think they would have 5000 videos from cameras of the suv. Its time square, why isn't there cameras all over the place?

devilhawk

BenThereGamer said:
I just don't believe anyone who would claim responsibility for this right now. Why? It makes them look weak. The top bomb makers of your cell are complete amateurs? Real intimidating.
Supposedly the Pakistani Taliban video was made and released before it failed.

xbhaskarx

saelz8 said:
Qari Hussain Mehsud, the top bomb maker for the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, said he takes "fully responsibility for the recent attack in the USA."

Doesn't "attack" imply that something actually happened and did some damage?

Davidion

xbhaskarx said:
Doesn't "attack" imply that something actually happened and did some damage?

Whoops!

As a New Yorker, this has almost been expected to happen for a while. Such is like in post 9/11 NYC.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's a sad day in the world, meanwhile in Iraq, 100 were killed in terrorist attacks aimed at Christian areas. A nephew of my uncle is now blind because of shrapnel from the blast. Thank God this bomb in NYC failed.

xbhaskarx

OuterWorldVoice said:
By "they" I mean their foreign efforts - they fail with incredible frequency

How many failed attacks does this make in just the NY-NJ area alone since 9/11?
I'm guessing we're at fail #6 or so.

mj1108

So has Fox News blamed Obama yet for this and mention something stupid to the effect of "nothing like this would happen under Bush".

mj1108 said:
So has Fox News blamed Obama yet for this and mention something stupid to the effect of "nothing like this would happen under Bush".

At least last night, they had the best coverage, compared to talking out the ass on MSNBC and Zombie talk show host with no coverage at all for a long time.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
At least last night, they had the best coverage, compared to talking out the ass on MSNBC and Zombie talk show host with no coverage at all for a long time.

Hey hey hey.
Zombie Talk Show Host would be a BILLION times better and more informed than Larry King.

saelz8 said:
Pakistani Taliban claim credit for failed NYC Times Square car bombing

A top Pakistani Taliban commander took credit for yesterday's failed car bomb attack in New York City.

All indications are the tape is legitimate. YouTube has pulled the video and shut down the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel since this article was published.
qari-hussain.JPG

Qari Hussain Mehsud. Image is from a Pakistani Army wanted poster.

"This attack is a revenge for the great & valuable martyred leaders of mujahideen," Qari Hussain said. He listed Baitullah Mehsud, the former leader of the Pakistani Taliban who was killed in a Predator strike in August 2009, and Abu Omar al Baghdadi, the former leader of al Qaeda Islamic State of Iraq who was killed by Iraqi forces in mid-April. And although he was not mentioned, an image of Abu Ayyub al Masri, the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, was also displayed in the images accompanying the audiotape.

Qari Hussain also said the failed attack was "revenge for the Global American interference & terrorism in Muslim countries, especially in Pakistan for Lal Masjid operation," a reference to the July 2008 Pakistani military assault on Islamists holed up in the Red Mosque in Islamabad, as well as Predator strikes in Pakistan's tribal areas and the arrest and detention of Pakistani scientist Aifa Siddique.

Qari Hussain warned NATO that it must denounce the US and apologize for "the massacres in Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan, and Pakistani tribal areas otherwise be prepared for the worst destruction and devastation in their regions."

The car bomb was discovered Saturday evening after a street vendor spotted smoke coming from a Nissan Pathfinder SUV and alerted police.

The bomb squad was dispatched to the scene and discovered a crude bomb made of “three canisters of propane like those used for barbecue grills, two five-gallon cans of gasoline, consumer-grade fireworks … and two clocks with batteries,” The New York Times reported.

Police currently do not have a suspect. The license plate is not registered to the Nissan, and the vehicle identification number has been removed. Police are also looking at video from surrounding stores to see if they can determine anything about the identity of the bomber.

Absolute bullshit.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
MassiveAttack said:
Absolute bullshit.

Then how was it recorded before the attack, referencing the attack as a success despite it obviously not being so?

SnakeXs said:
Then how was it recorded before the attack, referencing the attack as a success despite it obviously not being so?

There's no evidence it was recorded before the attack. The April 30th referenced in the article refers to the creation of the news channel on Youtube.

KHarvey16

MassiveAttack said:
There's no evidence it was recorded before the attack. The April 30th referenced in the article refers to the creation of the news channel on Youtube.

You mean you have no evidence. That doesn't mean there is no evidence.

KHarvey16 said:
You mean you have no evidence. That doesn't mean there is no evidence.

Point taken. Let's wait for the evidence.

Here's the latest:

NYPD: No evidence of a Taliban link to SUV bomb
By TOM HAYS and DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writers – 19 mins ago

NEW YORK – There was no evidence of a Taliban link to a failed bomb found in a smoking SUV parked in Times Square, and police were on their way to Pennsylvania to talk to a man who said he may have recorded a bombing suspect in a nearby alley, the police commissioner said Sunday.

The video apparently shows a white man in his 40s taking off his shirt in the alley and putting it in a bag, Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

scary.. :(

but damn, ANOTHER failed terrorist attack? how can they fail so fucking much? shouldnt that perhaps make them think that maybe their god doesn't want them do attack people randomly?

my definite favorite failed terrorist attack of recent years is the guy in London (i think) who tried to drive a truck full of explosives into something. instead he messed up and caught himself on fire (hahahahah). almost died, but luckily, to deprive the idiot from his "martyr" death, firemen managed to put out the flames. and he went to jail for long time.

i get so much satisfaction thinking about this... couldnt have ended better. terrorist makes a total ass of himself, harms no one but himself causing serious burns, and then doesnt even get to die like he so wanted, and instead has to rot in jail. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom