• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

MassiveAttack said:
There's no evidence it was recorded before the attack. The April 30th referenced in the article refers to the creation of the news channel on Youtube.
the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

0.jpg

Video of possible suspect being released later today apparently...

New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said a white male in his 40s was seen near the SUV that was parked on a Times Square street and packed with explosives.

Authorities found potentially deadly explosives in SUV left in Times Square. The man was seen leaving the area and shedding a dark shirt, revealing a red shirt underneath, about a half block from where survellance cameras saw the vehicle entering Times Square in New York City at about 6:28 pm Saturday. The video of the possible suspect is expected to be released later today. Kelly said the individual was looking around in a furtive manner, but also stressed that the behavior could be totally innocent.

At a Sunday afternoon press conference, Kelly said police would be reviewing hundreds of hours of videotape, and that police had identified the owner of the green Nissan Pathfinder but had not yet spoken to the owner. Detectives are in Pennsylvania today meeting with tourists who think they may have captured a suspect on video.

Kelly said "no evidence" supports the Pakistani Taliban's claim of responsibilty for the bombing, but had not yet ruled out either domestic or international motives for the attempted attack

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"Bloomberg to have dinner with hero Cop."

Should probably invite T-Shirt Hero too. I mean, maybe they did and he declined, but it's an ugly caption.

omg rite said:
I just love how Fox News last night had a guy on the phone, some analyst or something, blatantly saying this was a middle eastern man.

Fox News needs this to be a Middle Eastern guy. A regular run-of-the-mill white guy would do nothing for their ratings.

Calantus

If it was the taliban, this just proves that we have absolutely nothing to be fearful of, these guys aren't competent.

MassiveAttack said:
Fox News needs this to be a Middle Eastern guy. A regular run-of-the-mill white guy would do nothing for their ratings.
If it turns out to be a Teabagger, FOX is so gonna try to sweep this under the carpet.

What the hell... definitely wasn't any organized terror group.

NEW YORK – Police investigating a terror attack that could have set off a deadly fireball in Times Square focused Sunday on finding a man who was videotaped shedding his shirt near the SUV where the bomb was found.

Police said the gasoline-and-propane bomb was crude but could have sprayed shrapnel and metal parts with enough force to kill pedestrians and knock out windows on one of America's busiest streets, full of Broadway theaters and restaurants on a Saturday night.

More than 100 pounds of fertilizer rigged with wires and fireworks were found with the bomb, but police said it was not the ammonium nitrate grade that can explode.

The surveillance video shows an unidentified white man in his 40s slipping down an alley and taking off a shirt, revealing another underneath. In the same clip, he's seen looking back in the direction of the smoking vehicle and furtively putting the first shirt in a bag, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

The homemade bomb was made largely with ordinary items, including three barbecue grill-size propane tanks, two 5-gallon gasoline containers, store-bought fireworks and cheap alarm clocks attached to wires.

gumshoe

Banned
Korey said:
It's weird because this is the exact plot of this season's 24, location and everything.

Maybe it is advertising for this season, gone very very wrong. I shouldn't be joking about this, this could have been a disaster.

Guevara said:
Crazy amount of helicopters out tonight, it's very loud.
Yep, my best friend who lives at Union Square just sent me this on AIM:
there's a fuckin' helicopter just chilling out over14th street
this is weird
it doesn't have searchlights on...
but it's not going anywhere
and it's flashing lights are really distracting
Somehow he had no idea about the bomb scare, though.

Guevara

Cinco de Mayo gonna fucking suck. It's not my favorite holiday to begin with, but everyone's gonna be on edge (i.e. the cops).

YoungHav said:
yeah, mad helicopters in the village tonight. I'm staying inside.

Does the NYPD think the suspect is loose in the city somewhere? They're looking for this white guy in hs 40s they spotted on surveillance video today... which frankly would be ludricous using helicopters.

MassiveAttack said:
Does the NYPD think the suspect is loose in the city somewhere? They're looking for this white guy in hs 40s they spotted on surveillance video today... which frankly would be ludricous using helicopters.

Not if they have thermal imagining and they're check buildings potential suspect locations.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MassiveAttack said:

White guy in his 40's hiding in the village, they'll never find him.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
MassiveAttack said:
What the hell... definitely wasn't any organized terror group.

NEW YORK – Police investigating a terror attack that could have set off a deadly fireball in Times Square focused Sunday on finding a man who was videotaped shedding his shirt near the SUV where the bomb was found.

Police said the gasoline-and-propane bomb was crude but could have sprayed shrapnel and metal parts with enough force to kill pedestrians and knock out windows on one of America's busiest streets, full of Broadway theaters and restaurants on a Saturday night.

More than 100 pounds of fertilizer rigged with wires and fireworks were found with the bomb, but police said it was not the ammonium nitrate grade that can explode.

The surveillance video shows an unidentified white man in his 40s slipping down an alley and taking off a shirt, revealing another underneath. In the same clip, he's seen looking back in the direction of the smoking vehicle and furtively putting the first shirt in a bag, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

The homemade bomb was made largely with ordinary items, including three barbecue grill-size propane tanks, two 5-gallon gasoline containers, store-bought fireworks and cheap alarm clocks attached to wires.

If this were a television show, that'd be a pretty big tell that the bomb was just a decoy and the real crime was going down some where else while all the protagonists were distracted. Were there any super science expos that were robbed while all this was happening?

Servizio said:
If this were a television show, that'd be a pretty big tell that the bomb was just a decoy and the real crime was going down some where else while all the protagonists were distracted. Were there any super science expos that were robbed while all this was happening?
Screw Science Expos think Die Hard with a Vengeance!

AkuMifune said:
Why would anyone want to take credit for a failed bomb? I wouldn't want that on my terrorist resume.

Terrorist groups try to take credit for everything under the sun to build their name. Remember that shooting in Binghamton, NY a little over a year ago? That's where I live. A Korean immigrant did it by himself. The Taliban of Afghanistan claimed credit for it. The shooter and the Taliban had no link whatsoever but they still tried to take credit for it.

ToyMachine228 said:
Terrorist groups try to take credit for everything under the sun to build their name. Remember that shooting in Binghamton, NY a little over a year ago? That's where I live. A Korean immigrant did it by himself. The Taliban of Afghanistan claimed credit for it. The shooter and the Taliban had no link whatsoever but they still tried to take credit for it.

Hell, they'd take credit for the double down if they could! :lol

MassiveAttack said:
NYPD has released the surveillance video of the suspect

http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=141453@wcbs.dayport.com

You know what's going to be the key with that? People who walked by and will remember seeing him and can give great descriptions and stuff. The people who noticed him (and can be seen in the video) are almost as key as the guy himself.

Thank fuck the thing didn't go off.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
You know what's going to be the key with that? People who walked by and will remember seeing him and can give great descriptions and stuff. The people who noticed him (and can be seen in the video) are almost as key as the guy himself.
Probably looking for people who have pictures or video with said guy in it, seeing as how at any given minute there are several hundred tourists with cameras/camcorders shooting.

Schrade

2n9zu2q.gif

This has got to be the guy. No one turns around just to take off their shirt normally. He's looking around far too much, too.

I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that he's specifically white from this, though. Of course they may have a much better quality video than what was shown on the link above.

scotcheggz

j_k_redtail said:
So wait, is he a just a "person of interest," or a suspect now?

Taking a T-Shirt off in the street isn't exactly hard evidence, so I'd say they are being politically correct for now.

Chipopo

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yes, because terrorism, even if it makes your opponent look bad, is a good thing to wish for.

Yes, because what I was wishing for in my post was more terrorism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom