• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four_Chamber said:
This guy is the embodiment of epic failure on so many levels

Pretty freakin badass :D

This pretty freaking awesome, but yeah it also shows was a total and epic fail this guy was. Those Somalia pirates in Manhattan's Federal Detention Center are even going to be making fun of this guy. :lol

Hell, Richard Reid in the one hour he's going to have free at Florence is going to make fun of his dumbass. :lol
faillolz.png

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
This pretty freaking awesome, but yeah it also shows was a total and epic fail this guy was. Those Somalia pirates in Manhattan's Federal Detention Center are even going to be making fun of this guy. :lol

Hell, Richard Reid in the one hour he's going to have free at Florence is going to make fun of his dumbass. :lol

At least he can still make fun of the guy that burned his own dick off.

I <3 Memes said:
At least he can still make fun of the guy that burned his own dick off.

Yeah, but he can respond that he at least got onto a plane that took off (and with explosives). Failhadist couldn't even get to the take off part. :lol

Hmm...I like the term Failhadist, maybe people can meme into the net and the public at large. I'd love that to become this guys nickname lol.

I was reading about the prison (beats studying lol) and found this humorous nuggest.

At ADX Florence, McVeigh was housed in the same cell block as Ted Kaczynski, Luis Felipe and Ramzi Yousef. Ramzi made frequent, unsuccessful attempts to convert McVeigh to Islam.

If anyone wants to read about the insane restrictions in the prison check out the manuals on the site, you should also be very bored. lol

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/flm/index.jsp

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Deku said:
control is the right answer. The story 20th century is the fall of the west, and what you're witnessing is the vacuum left behind by the European empires.

unstable countries needs to be taken over. not left to rot, the results of which we've seen. Much of the misery of Africa is directly linked to de-colonization. Rwanda would not have happened if the Belgians or a European power was in charge. But I suppose Hutu oppression is preffered to Belgian ones to you.

Suffice to say, the fantasies of the the far-left with regards to the liberalization of the world from 'empires' is largely that, fantasies. As I noted, the failures of de-colonization is absolutely staggering.

Perhaps the orginal problem was that they were colonized in the first place.

mckmas8808 said:

It is, but nothing we can do about that now.

To stabelize those countries, you'll need to cooperate with them and give a helping hand when needed. But that doesn't mean govern them. Countries need to govern themselves, otherwise they'll never move forward.

ClosingADoor said:

To stabelize those countries, you'll need to cooperate with them and give a helping hand when needed. But that doesn't mean govern them. Countries need to govern themselves, otherwise they'll never move forward.

mckmas8808 said:

Come on guys lets keep this topic light and keep making fun of the Failhadist.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ClosingADoor said:

To a large xtent I'd agree. It was a big fuck up in terms of the late 1400s into the 1900s in terms of world exploration and conquest, but we can't go back. We can only move forward.

Okay here is the upcoming opening image (not even a gif). I'm sure someone could do a great demotivational poster.

lolzms.jpg

To explain the H-Unit Reference

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007...64113_page2.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody
"H-Unit," where a number of the Islamic terrorists are kept in their single cells for up to 23 hours a day, along with the FBI traitor Robert Hanssen, was most certainly not on our walking tour. Those prisoners are allowed no contact with the outside world, except for a pre-approved list of family, friends and lawyers -- part of what are euphemistically called Special Administrative Measures (SAMs).

H-unit is where a dozen or so of the Islamic terrorists have been staging repeated hunger strikes. The prisoners are not allowed to exercise together and the only way they can communicate is by shouting to each other through the toilets and sinks in their small cells.

Main article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/11/60minutes/main3357727.shtml

xbhaskarx

WTF is this blaming colonization nonsense, pretty much every country outside of Europe was colonized at one point or another.

Name the non-European countries that were never colonized please. I'll start:
1. Thailand (Siam)

Yamauchi

Banned
Yeah, lulz at blaming colonization.

Second, I completely believe the Pakistani Taliban when they claim they were behind this. They claimed it before anyone knew the guy's nationality or the fact that he had been running back and forth between Pakistan.

Atrus

Gold Member
Given that this guy is a US citizen, is it possible for him to be tried for treason on top of the terror related charges? What is the current US law and implementation on treason anyway?

Yamauchi said:
Second, I completely believe the Pakistani Taliban when they claim they were behind this. They claimed it before anyone knew the guy's nationality or the fact that he had been running back and forth between Pakistan.

To bad (for them, good for us) teaching him anything useful wasn't higher on their list than uploading shitty YouTube videos shot with camera equipment that looks like it was used by someone who was going to bootleg a WWF event from the 1980s lol.

Atrus said:
Given that this guy is a US citizen, is it possible for him to be tried for treason on top of the terror related charges? What is the current US law and implementation on treason anyway?

I've been wondering about that, they did charge that little piece of shit from Al-Qeada with treason. I've always wondered if anything passed after 9/11 (authorizing military force against the Taliban and Al-Qeada) would be enough to do it.

Atrus said:
Oh I know history, and what you're repeating is nothing but an indulgence in that persecution complex. Frankly, the fact that you have to expand the scope from Pakistan to Muslims in general is quite telling of it and it is parf of the problem. Idiots being led to believe that all Muslims share in the same plight.

It is complete horseshit, but eagerly gobbled up by the weak-minded.

My immediate thought was that if this man is Pakistani, it may be a response to U.S. actions in Pakistan, or more specifically, the notorious drone assassination program.

theignoramus said:
My immediate thought was that if this man is Pakistani, it may be a response to U.S. actions in Pakistan, or more specifically, the notorious drone assassination program.

You mean the one that works extremely well and may actually be popular with people in the tribal regions who, "don't want the Taliban up in their shit." In reality no one in Pakistan cares about that program except for terrorists and extremists, it has a far far better rate of target to civilian deaths than any other method currently available, and Pakistan gets paid quite well for letting us use the drones and Pakistani bases. Sorry to rant I'm just a big fan of the drone program. I think its a good use of resources, always for rapid responses, and helps cause lower collateral damage.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yamauchi said:
Yeah, lulz at blaming colonization.

Yeah, but they also claimed responsibility for a couple of things last year that weren't even terrorism.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Yeah, but they also claimed responsibility for a couple of things last year that weren't even terrorism.

The Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns IIRC. :lol

CBS 60 minutes doc on the prison (and has some extremely rare footage of the inside of the prison that appeared in a court file relating to a random prison gang case).

The former warden describes Richard Reid entering and realizing his life was pretty much over. The female guard describing how the terrorist there go nuts being ordered around by a women is (to me) quite heart warming. :)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5101352n&tag=api

I have to say that I'm very much in favor of the death penalty, but Florence makes a good argument for life (and real life) in prison compared to the hassle of executing them.

You mean the one that works extremely well and may actually be popular with people in the tribal regions who, "don't want the Taliban up in their shit." In reality no one in Pakistan cares about that program except for terrorists and extremists, it has a far far better rate of target to civilian deaths than any other method currently available, and Pakistan gets paid quite well for letting us use the drones and Pakistani bases. Sorry to rant I'm just a big fan of the drone program. I think its a good use of resources, always for rapid responses, and helps cause lower collateral damage.
Your numbers are probably from the U.S. government. This is what the Pakistanis have to say:
Of the 44 predator strikes carried out by US drones in the tribal areas of Pakistan over the past 12 months, only five were able to hit their actual targets, killing five key Al-Qaeda and Taliban leaders, but at the cost of over 700 innocent civilians.

According to the statistics compiled by Pakistani authorities, the Afghanistan-based US drones killed 708 people in 44 predator attacks targeting the tribal areas between January 1 and December 31, 2009.

For each Al Qaeda and Taliban terrorist killed by US drones, 140 innocent Pakistanis also had to die. Over 90 per cent of those killed in the deadly missile strikes were civilians, claim authorities.

The success percentage for the drone hits during 2009 was hardly 11 per cent. On average, 58 civilians were killed in these attacks every month, 12 persons every week and almost two people every day. Most of the attacks were carried out on the basis of human intelligence, reportedly provided by the Pakistani and Afghan tribesmen, who are spying for the US-led allied forces in Afghanistan.

theignoramus said:
Your numbers are probably from the U.S. government. This is what the Pakistanis have to say:

Where did you get those figures from, I suspect some highly creative accounting on someones part.

I mean look what I pulled up from Wikipedia (which references the same stats you have).

A study called 'The Year of the Drone" published in February 2010 by New America Foundation found that in a total of 114 drone strikes in Pakistan between 2004 and early 2010 approximately between 834 and 1,216 individuals had been killed, about two thirds of whom were thought to be militants and one third were civilians.[179]

In an analysis published in Daily Times on January 2, 2010 author Farhat Taj challenged the view that the local people of Waziristan were against the drone attacks. Author states on the basis of personal interviews with people in Waziristan that the locals in Waziristan support the attacks and see the drones as their 'liberators' from the clutches of Taliban and Pakistan's Intelligence agencies. She further challenged the government of Pakistan to provide accurate figures about the 'civilian' casualties and tell what methodology was used to collect this data. According to her 'The people of Waziristan are suffering a brutal kind of occupation under the Taliban and al Qaeda. It is in this context that they would welcome anyone, Americans, Israelis, Indians or even the devil, to rid them of the Taliban and al Qaeda.'[201] In response to this analysis Irfan Husain writing in Dawn agreed with her assessment and called for more drone attacks. He wrote 'We need to wake up to the reality that the enemy has grown very strong in the years we temporized and tried to do deals with them. Clearly, we need allies in this fight. Howling at the moon is not going to get us the cooperation we so desperately need. A solid case can be made for more drone attacks, not less.[202]

Either way it doesn't really bother me.

Where did you get those figures from, I suspect some highly creative accounting on someones part.

Yeah, seems like bull. Of the 708 people killed, less than 8 were terrorists? I highly doubt that.

SlipperySlope said:
Yeah, seems like bull. Of the 708 people killed, less than 8 were terrorists? I highly doubt that.

http://counterterrorism.newamerica.net/drones

This is a link to the report I referenced. It has cites for everything claimed (and to the specific article), but not wanting to get into a body count debate, I'll just point out it's useful for getting a visual idea where these attacks occur.

DrForester said:
I drive by Florence supermax once a month or so for work business. Place is a total fortress
Which is why I think they should hold the 9/11 trials in NYC and then ship them off to Florence when they're convicted. I think short of some Russian paratrooper invasion from MW2, no one is getting in there.

xbhaskarx

Wow @ Ramzi Yousef:
According to interviews with ADX Florence staff, upon Yousef's arrival at the facility he prayed almost every hour and refused to leave his cell for recreation as he did not wish to undergo the strip search required at the ultra-high security prison.[26]
However, Yousef now leaves his cell, has started eating pork and says he has converted to Christianity.[27] The prison staff does not believe Yousef's conversion is sincere.[27]

At ADX Florence, McVeigh was housed in the same cell block as Ted Kaczynski, Luis Felipe and Ramzi Yousef. Ramzi made frequent, unsuccessful attempts to convert McVeigh to Islam.

According to interviews with ADX Florence staff, upon Yousef's arrival at the facility he prayed almost every hour and refused to leave his cell for recreation as he did not wish to undergo the strip search required at the ultra-high security prison.[26]
However, Yousef now leaves his cell, has started eating pork and says he has converted to Christianity.[27] The prison staff does not believe Yousef's conversion is sincere.[27]

The female guard describing how the terrorist there go nuts being ordered around by a women is (to me) quite heart warming. :)

Sounds like a fun crowd. Would love to listen in on the conversations.

SlipperySlope said:

14o88jl.jpg

Just adding on to the fails

Federal agents also searched the empty home in Shelton on Tuesday after The Connecticut Post and The New York Times said its reporters had discovered a trove of rain-soaked documents outside the home. The Post's find included an old passport from Pakistan, an academic transcript from Southeastern University listing a grade point average of 2.78and tax returns showing Shahzad earned $22,650 income as an account analyst in 2001.

Now I'm no genius but a couple of B's never hurt anybody! :lol

SatelliteOfLove said:
Sounds like a fun crowd. Would love to listen in on the conversations.

Yeah, granted hearing it via toilet bowl might take a little while to get used too. Apparently Yousef, the Unabomber, and Tim McVeigh used to talk to each other during their brief time outside. I hope one day one of the guards or the warden writes a book giving some insight into what the hell they said (apparently they would talk politics, food recipes, and other random ass stuff).

BobTheFork said:
Wow, that is really strange.
Also, looking at the picture of the bomb set-up just pisses me off in the worst way.
FFS if that thing had gone off : (

Interestingly some in the FBI are saying even if it did, it wouldn't have done anything. It was an epic fail of untold proportions.

I mean look what I pulled up from Wikipedia (which references the same stats you have).

even if we accept your numbers as a point of departure, that still leaves a 32% rate of civilian deaths, between 278 or 400 if we take the low-high estimates of that study.
In reality no one in Pakistan cares about that program except for terrorists and extremists
From the exact same report you`ve cited (which i recommend reading):

The strikes are quite unpopular among Pakistanis, who view them as violations
of national sovereignty; according to a Gallup poll from August 2009, only 9 percent approved of such attacks.
The fact that both Pakistan and Afghanistan have seen record levels of Taliban and other militant violence in 2009 raises a large question about the drone program: How
effective is it? The campaign is killing significant numbers of militant leaders and foot soldiers, but these losses are clearly being absorbed. Nor has the expanded drone program stopped al Qaeda and its allies from continuing to train Western recruits.
....the U.S. drone strikes don’t seem to have had any great effect on the Taliban’s ability to mount operations in Pakistan or Afghanistan or to deter potential Western recruits, and
they no longer have the element of surprise.
Third, although the drone strikes have disrupted militant operations, their unpopularity with the Pakistani public and their value as a recruiting tool for extremist groups may
have ultimately increased the appeal of the Taliban and al Qaeda, undermining the Pakistani state.

The study concludes that the U.S. should continue with the drone attacks because ``it`s a critical tool to disrupt al Quaeda and Taliban operations`` Even though it concedes the fact the drone attacks have had little long term strategic consequence and serve as a valuable recruiting tool for the Islamist extremists.

theignoramus said:
even if we accept your numbers as a point of departure, that still leaves a 32% rate of civilian deaths, between 278 or 400 if we take the low-high estimates of that study.
A 2 out of 3 ratio is more than acceptable to me. Hell, that's a big improvement from just planes dropping bombs.

Regarding encouraging recruits everything these days encourages someone to join Al-Qeada, I bet some dumbass actually would join after hearing about that South Park episode. Hell, someone probably joined them because of a bad bet on a English Premier League Soccer game.

I also suspect the gallup poll isn't getting honest answers and are only polling in certain regions. Anyway. in the end I couldn't care what the Pakistani's think, they get paid for us using their country for the drone attacks and we even let them raise the national sovereignty stink to make their domestic market happy. It chips away at their leadership, and eventually they won't be able to resupply the skill and talent with just green recruits. The drone campaign has only really picked up with the Obama administration.

Wthermans

Banned
Interestingly some in the FBI are saying even if it did, it wouldn't have done anything. It was an epic fail of untold proportions.
I don't think it would have killed anyone (as his shrapnel device didn't use explosive fertilizer), but I do think it would have caused injuries (due to the individuals that would have most likely been in close proximity to the explosion). It's all conjecture and speculation at this point though and we need to be thanking this guy's stupidity rather than the police force/surveillance in the city.

Yeah, but he can respond that he at least got onto a plane that took off (and with explosives). Failhadist couldn't even get to the take off part. :lol

Hmm...I like the term Failhadist, maybe people can meme into the net and the public at large. I'd love that to become this guys nickname lol.

Rehadist?

Count Dookkake said:
Rehadist?
Hmm, I like it. :)

Wthermans said:
I don't think it would have killed anyone (as his shrapnel device didn't use explosive fertilizer), but I do think it would have caused injuries (due to the individuals that would have most likely been in close proximity to the explosion). It's all conjecture and speculation at this point though and we need to be thanking this guy's stupidity rather than the police force/surveillance in the city.

Agreed.

Back on to drones a little bit, here is a POPSCI walkthrough of an attack on guys setting up a roadside bomb, ironically their bomb went off early through crappy setup, maybe them and our suspect where in the same graduating class. :lol

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3924348001?bctid=34442050001

KRS7

Fuck, he even left the key to his apartment inside the vehicle. He is making the life of the detectives and prosecutors so easy.

xbhaskarx

KRS7 said:
Fuck, he even left the key to his apartment inside the vehicle. He is making the life of the detectives and prosecutors so easy.
Almost... TOO easy.

< starts Times Square Truther movement >

A 2 out of 3 ratio is more than acceptable to me. Hell, that's a big improvement from just planes dropping bombs.

Regarding encouraging recruits everything these days encourages someone to join Al-Qeada, I bet some dumbass actually would join after hearing about that South Park episode. Hell, someone probably joined them because of a bad bet on a English Premier League Soccer game.

I also suspect the gallup poll isn't getting honest answers and are only polling in certain regions. Anyway. in the end I couldn't care what the Pakistani's think, they get paid for us using their country for the drone attacks and we even let them raise the national sovereignty stink to make their domestic market happy. It chips away at their leadership, and eventually they won't be able to resupply the skill and talent with just green recruits. The drone campaign has only really picked up with the Obama administration.
no it isnt, you would never accept that ratio if it was the other way around or someone else doing it to us.

Everything goes back to Pakistan. I wonder how much of that is actually political. The guy might as well have left his picture, name and details in the car and a note saying he trained in Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom