• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOMBA. Mortal Kombat = $30 next week at Toys R Us [Portal 2 Also @ GameStop/KMart]

Dance In My Blood said:
What is even the point of buying games right when they come out anymore?

Because I wanna play a game before everything is ruined for me/people over-exaggerate about little faults that cause me to end up avoiding a good game. In my experience, anyway.

edit: mind you, I am in the UK so games start off priced well anyway

Dabanton

Dance In My Blood said:
What is even the point of buying games right when they come out anymore?

For certain games it's because i've been looking forward to them and waiting to see whether they may or may not drop in price can be a chore.

For stuff like MP games if my friends are all getting the same new game no one wants to be the odd man out.

Suairyu

Banned
This is more reflective of games being generally decreed to not be worth $60/£45 anymore rather than poor sales. How typical is it for any game to be sold $60 day one, let alone a couple of weeks afterwards?

Netrunner2k2 said:
I wanted to get this game this week, but wanted to wait a week for some reason. Good timing and hopefully the PSN is up then also.
It should be up on or before Tuesday, and also the MK team is implementing some sort of netcode improvement within the next "couple weeks."

Traced-Velocity said:
I bet it'll still be $69.99 everywhere in Canada, despite 1 CAD = 1.05204 USD. *sigh*
Yeah, why is it that MK is like the only title that's $70. Portal 2 was $60 and so was Socom.

Suairyu said:
This is more reflective of games being generally decreed to not be worth $60/£45 anymore rather than poor sales. How typical is it for any game to be sold $60 day one, let alone a couple of weeks afterwards?

So, er, what crazy madperson shop is selling games at this price exactly? Or rather, what crazy madperson company is setting the RRP as £45. Because I thought that shit got shut down back at 360 launch. I agree, getting games brand new for a fair price is easy.

The Lamonster said:
It should be up on or before Tuesday, and also the MK team is implementing some sort of netcode improvement within the next "couple weeks."
That's good to hear. I hope it becomes solid.

Mrbob

Good price. I just ordered from Amazon yesterday with my Portal 2 credit so if they match this price going to ask for a refund in the difference.

Suairyu

Banned
Green Scar said:
So, er, what crazy madperson shop is selling games at this price exactly? Or rather, what crazy madperson company is setting the RRP as £45. Because I thought that shit got shut down back at 360 launch. I agree, getting games brand new for a fair price is easy.
Well, no-one. But Ubisoft and Activision have kicked that price around a few times. But that's kind of my point: people by and large are realising games are not worth the standard/proposed industry price. I think the only games that could ever justify a price that high are a few PC games and franchises, but PC games are typically sold at lower prices anyway.

Suairyu said:
Well, no-one. But Ubisoft and Activision have kicked that price around a few times. But that's kind of my point: people by and large are realising games are not worth the standard/proposed industry price. I think the only games that could ever justify a price that high are a few PC games and franchises, but PC games are typically sold at lower prices anyway.

Pretty much. However, I don't think any PC game justifies a higher price, especially with general absence of licensing fees, and franchises being franchises usually allows to sell at a normal price and sell well based on the name (usually). If anything, new IPs could justify a higher price (unknown brand, very unlikely to feature re-used assets so cost-cutting is harder), but obviously new IPs need to be cheap in order to appeal to people. So yeah, pretty much no-one gets away with that price. (Especially not Call of Duty.)

denomes

These price drops are not always indicative of how well a game sold, you guys realize this right?

Bomba in the title doesn't necessarily mean bomba on the charts, though it might in this case...

Mortal Kombat is a long tail game I bet.

FoneBone

Criminal Upper said:
There's no way MK vs DC sells two million copies, but this actual awesome and super well advertised MK game doesn't.
No way MK vs. DC did most of those numbers at full price. It definitely didn't launch all that well.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Can we stop the whole 'bomba' naming now as it's getting tired, I think it's pretty apparent now that reducing prices early is a strategy that is growing in popularity with many publisher now, it is not necessarily an indication of poor sales.

lowrider007 said:
Can we stop the whole 'bomba' naming now as it's getting tired, I think it's pretty apparent now that reducing prices early is a strategy that is growing in popularity with many publisher now.
But it's funny

lowrider007 said:
Can we stop the whole 'bomba' naming now as it's getting tired, I think it's pretty apparent now that reducing prices early is a strategy that is growing in popularity with many publisher now.
It's attention getting and to the point. When I see "bomba", I just think "deal"

darkwing

lowrider007 said:
Can we stop the whole 'bomba' naming now as it's getting tired, I think it's pretty apparent now that reducing prices early is a strategy that is growing in popularity with many publisher now, it is not necessarily and indication of poor sales.

nah, its like a price alert for great buys

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lowrider007 said:
Can we stop the whole 'bomba' naming now as it's getting tired, I think it's pretty apparent now that reducing prices early is a strategy that is growing in popularity with many publisher now, it is not necessarily an indication of poor sales.

If you don't like it, take it up to a MOD to petition to ban me

Suairyu

Banned
Green Scar said:
Pretty much. However, I don't think any PC game justifies a higher price, especially with general absence of licensing fees, and franchises being franchises usually allows to sell at a normal price and sell well based on the name (usually). If anything, new IPs could justify a higher price (unknown brand, very unlikely to feature re-used assets so cost-cutting is harder), but obviously new IPs need to be cheap in order to appeal to people. So yeah, pretty much no-one gets away with that price. (Especially not Call of Duty.)
You're doing it wrong. Cost to manufacturer has little bearing on perceived value to customer. It doesn't matter that Studio X spent $multimillions developing Game Y, at the end of the day it's just going to be perceived as $Z worth to customer. The reason I said that only a few PC games have the ability to justify a £35/whatever pricepoint is because they're a stupidly in-depth simulator that is leagues beyond anything elsewhere, they have content far in excess of anything pressed onto a console DVD or they're Starcraft II. That's a limited sector that is worth full asking price.

A film with a budget of $100 000 000 sells for the same price as a film with a budget of $100 000 because that is the value customers attribute to the experience of seeing a film.

I, the customer, care not for the manufacturer's licensing costs or franchise risks. I have my price ideal for games that I'm willing to pay (£20-£25 for GOTY games (Valve, basically), £15 for games I'm really excited for, £10 for everything else) and I pay it.

If a studio has a risky new IP that they want to succeed, they can find a way to make it still profitable to drop the price to make the product more attractive to me, instead of asking me to fork over £35/whatever on something I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy.

It really isn't complicated and I'm amazed the studios that have been pushing the AAA-huge risk-$60 business model for the last decade have suddenly woken up to the 'huge risk' part of it and are only just starting to vaguely realise customers stopped bothering with the '$60' part of it years ago.

denomes said:
These price drops are not always indicative of how well a game sold, you guys realize this right?

Bomba in the title doesn't necessarily mean bomba on the charts, though it might in this case...

Mortal Kombat is a long tail game I bet.
Could also be marketing for the brand/the next game. Remember that at one point MK used to sell 6 million copies a game so they want to get this game in as many people's hands to raise brand awareness to get back to those levels. In any event I'd be shocked if this game did less than MK vs DC.

Oh, OK. Well, I would probably think about that stuff myself, but that's just me. Obviously most people don't know/care/both about that thing. I never really thought about the difference between perceived value and actual value.

Either way, I still think no game can get away with the £45 price point.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Aske said:
You poor fools, thinking you're saving money. The pre-order bonuses for this $60 game are currently selling for as much as $120 on ebay. I shit you not.

Ridiculous. I guess I won't mind preorder DLC stuff if they net that much money, lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Aske said:
You poor fools, thinking you're saving money. The pre-order bonuses for this $60 game are currently selling for as much as $120 on ebay. I shit you not.
Probably just some dude buying it from himself. No other auction for the DLC is going for anywhere near that price.

Grecco

Aske said:

The Joke will be on the poor guy who buys it at 120 when i buy it at the online marketplace for 80 microsoft points.

notworksafe

Dance In My Blood said:
Probably just some dude buying it from himself. No other auction for the DLC is going for anywhere near that price.
Reptile codes regularly were going for $50-$70 for a while though. Sorta makes me wish I sold mine.

Einbroch

Banned
Yes, let's get angry at the word "bomba". Bomba, in Gafanese, translates to "deal" in English.

At least that's how I see it.

Toys R Us has been on a roll with sales lately.

Saw four Pokemon titles (Two Mystery Dungeons & Two Ranger Titles) on sale for $5 a pop Tuesday night. Tempted to pick up the whole group.

Suairyu said:
Honestly, it'd be Microsoft Flight Simulator or something by Blizzard. That's it.

Those Flight Simulators are a) incredibly detailed and clearly the result of a lot of effort, b) niche as hell and c) not really games, so yeah, anything goes with that sort of product. I'd have to agree.

Aske

Dance In My Blood said:

True...they tend to go for about $60. So chances are they're only really good for totally paying off the cost of the game.

DGFE9.png

Typical Canada gets screwed out of a deal

Well if any American wants to buy this for me next week, I'll gladly transfer $30 CAD into your account which is worth more money right now.

Wario64 said:
Ridiculous. I guess I won't mind preorder DLC stuff if they net that much money, lol
To me it just shows that NRS are slightly out of touch to how some people value classic costumes/fatalities in MK. Shouldn't have been made a retailer exclusive pre order bonus. Next time they should do something simple like 50 extra challenge tower challenges which people won't have as much of an emotional tie to.

From what I've heard, YMMV when it comes to the gamer magazines. Some TRU stores have them and some don't or there at least hard to find. Hopefully, TRU will accept a printed coupon.

Hex

Banned
canoli2006 said:
From what I've heard, YMMV when it comes to the gamer magazines. Some TRU stores have them and some don't or there at least hard to find. Hopefully, TRU will accept a printed coupon.
Can you rehost on imgur or something?

Aske

notworksafe said:
Reptile codes regularly were going for $50-$70 for a while though. Sorta makes me wish I sold mine.

I'm glad I didn't get Reptile, because I would have entered that code, and massively regretted it. Scorpion and Sub-Zero though...I'd rather have them and use them than bother with eBay. I don't worry about a missed opportunity to profit when I can spine-rip and Toasty to my heart's content.

denomes

infinityBCRT said:
Could also be marketing for the brand/the next game. Remember that at one point MK used to sell 6 million copies a game so they want to get this game in as many people's hands to raise brand awareness to get back to those levels. In any event I'd be shocked if this game did less than MK vs DC.

A good point.

I think this game has good awareness among enthusiasts but not quite yet with the mainstream. Selling it cheaply close to launch may help to build awareness as you suggested, but for this title as well as any future game in the series.

I think the blood and guts factor (with the potential for the sensationalist mainstream press to latch onto this as a yet another example of violence in video games), coupled with nostalgia for the brand, will give this game some legs sales-wise.

Stupid question. How does price matching actually work? If I buy a copy of MK, say today, for $60 from somewhere else do I just go to T R US on Sunday and get the difference? Is the sale only on Sunday or is all next week?

Top Bottom