• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOMBA. Mortal Kombat = $30 next week at Toys R Us [Portal 2 Also @ GameStop/KMart]

GillianSeed79 said:
Stupid question. How does price matching actually work? If I buy a copy of MK, say today, for $60 from somewhere else do I just go to T R US on Sunday and get the difference? Is the sale only on Sunday or is all next week?
Well the tricky thing to do would be to go buy the game at TRU, then return the copy you bought from TRU to the retailer you bought the game from today, with today's receipt.

Should be all week.

glow

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
What is even the point of buying games right when they come out anymore?

imo there is none, unless it has online multiplayer there's no reason for me to get a title at launch. I'd rather wait and spend less (often for more value).

Never bought a game early then gone back in for a price match.

Can I buy the game today from TrU, open and play it, and then bring the receipt back in next week and just have them refund me 30 dollars?

Simple as that?

What are the chances that Amazon price matches this? My nearest TRU is too far away, and I could use my credit form Portal 2 on this, netting it for $20!

DaBuddaDa

AvidNobody said:
What are the chances that Amazon price matches this? My nearest TRU is too far away, and I could use my credit form Portal 2 on this, netting it for $20!
Amazon will probably match the $40 price, but won't have any extra $10 coupon.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Lamonster said:
Why is everyone assuming this sale is due to a poor showing?
They were Wario'd.

DemiMatt said:
Thats kinda been the trend in the past year or so. Ive noticed alot of games go for cheaper within weeks of the release.
In the US these are almost always just short-lived sales good for a day or a weekend though, if it's a decent selling title. The price goes back up to normal soon after.

Darn. I bought this game on Amazon yesterday with my credit and because it was already $50. Can I return it to Amazon unopened without hassle if I am able to get it through this TRU deal? Will they give me back the preorder credit I used to buy it?

Also, where does the $10 coupon come from? Is it already at the store or will it be in the circular this Sunday.

For those trying to return games back, be careful where you buy them. I'm pretty sure the UPC code has to be the same. For MK9, BB, TRU, Wal-Mart, are different from amazon and Target due to the free DLC packaged with the game.

fernoca

Yep, what FallingEdge said.
Also when returning games for price match, remember that the key in MK's case is in the coupon that's on their magazine. Many stores don't carry the magazine (or barely has any since it's free); so make sure to have a magazine with a coupon. Some stores accept copies, some doesn't.

And MKs selling great, so no worries. This is just Toys R Us clearing some excess inventory since it's a Mature-rated game they ordered lots of it, but they don't sell that many M-rated games to begin with; so they decided to clear stock now that there's hype, instead of later. XD

DemiMatt

XiaNaphryz said:
They were Wario'd.

In the US these are almost always just short-lived sales good for a day or a weekend though, if it's a decent selling title. The price goes back up to normal soon after.

True, but usually you can anticipate this kinda thing if its not a super juggernaught of a title, and even then sometimes they go on sale. I remember gow 3 went on sale not too long after it came out, same with killzone 3. THe only huge game that has yet to go on sale was mvc3.

But I usually try to anticipate since it gets hella expensive buying these games at launch and more so heartbreaken when shit like this happens haha

BigFwoosh

Wait, so if I buy it today and match it next week, will they still let me use the coupon? I mean, all I would be doing is a price match. Do they apply coupons to price matches?

fernoca

BigFwoosh said:
Wait, so if I buy it today and match it next week, will they still let me use the coupon? I mean, all I would be doing is a price match. Do they apply coupons to price matches?
The easiest route would be to return the game, get a refund and at that very moment buy the game again with the coupon.

Pricematch directly is possible, but too troublesome for many employees and it wouldn't surprise me if a few just told you is not possible; when it is.

uuLdy.png

BigFwoosh

fernoca said:
The easiest route would be to return the game, get a refund and at that very moment buy the game again with the coupon.

Pricematch directly is possible, but too troublesome for many employees and it wouldn't surprise me if a few just told you is not possible; when it is.
I see, that makes sense. I was thinking along the lines of how BB does that price change guarantee thing.

MoxManiac said:
Will TRU accept a printing of this or does it have to be the actual magazine?
It's a tough call because some people over at CAG are saying some stores have the magazine and some do not or they're having difficulty finding them in the store. It may all depend on your local TRU.

So what the hell man! 3 pages in and there's no confirmation if this is going to be available also in Canada??
I highly Doubt it will, but I like to at least get to the bottom of it for peace of mind.

Last time I paid 70+ dollars for a game was "After Burner" for the NES in 1992. From a Canadian K-Mart, that's right a "Canadian K-Mart!!"

Update: Just came from Phoenix, AZ TRU. They had the gamer magazines there with Lego Star Wars 3DS on the cover NOT Michael Jackson. MK coupon inside.

Hex

Banned
I will save the img of the coupon, because if Amazon matches the 40, and I contact their customer service and send a copy of the coupon they will probably adjust.
They have done it for disney bluray movies in the past for me.

farco1212

Neo Member
And this, my friends, is why I rarely buy new releases on day one.

I think I'll price match Portal 2 at Best Buy since I have a gift card and some reward zone credits.

Hex said:
I will save the img of the coupon, because if Amazon matches the 40, and I contact their customer service and send a copy of the coupon they will probably adjust.
They have done it for disney bluray movies in the past for me.
Thanks for the tip!

Cheech

OK, so, assuming they fix the PSN, IS the PS3 version the one to get? I played the demo and it seemed a bit sloppy, but I've heard the 360 controls were actually even less tight.

No fanboy slop, please. I do have a fighting stick for my 360, but am ok with the DS3 because I kinda want to check Kratos out.

Help, GAF!

I think people are saying a game has bombed a little too early. Homefront had a major sale almost immediately and people claimed it was a disaster in the market, yet it sold 2 million in the time period. Portal 2 is down to nearly half off and yet nobody is claiming it bombed. Mortal Kombat is probably doing just fine and this is just retail stores being competitive.

Trike

Ahaha! A Toys R Us thread! I work there, so I can contribute. And not that this really needs to be said, but it is not an indication that the game is bombing. MK and Portal 2 are already $10 off this week, so using that coupon you can get MK for $40. We have had sales on games literally as soon as they came out too.

Wario64 said:
Nope, but it should be available in the store. Apparently the cover of it has Michael Jackson on it.

Kind of. It is available in the store (there should be tons of them), but there are three different covers. Michael Jackson, Pokemon, and maybe a 3DS one? I forget the third one.

AbsoluteZero said:
Toys R Us has been on a roll with sales lately.

Saw four Pokemon titles (Two Mystery Dungeons & Two Ranger Titles) on sale for $5 a pop Tuesday night. Tempted to pick up the whole group.

Last Friday/Saturday all video games and accessories were buy one get one half off. Keep an eye out on sales, they go on all the time.

Aske said:
You poor fools, thinking you're saving money. The pre-order bonuses for this $60 game are currently selling for as much as $120 on ebay. I shit you not.

Eh, Toys R Us is the only place that gets Kitana's UMK3 costume though. Don't think there is a matching fatality.

rayner said:
I'm more surprised that Toys R' Us is even selling this game... don't they only sell select M rated games?

No and yes. We only sell specific games in general, and it depends on the store. It seems somewhat random at times. For example, we sell somewhat obscure games like Mayhem 3D, Blood Drive, and Splatterhouse at my store, but we don't sell Dissidia 12. Then again my store is a smaller store.

Hex

Banned
Quicksilver4648 said:
I think people are saying a game has bombed a little too early. Homefront had a major sale almost immediately and people claimed it was a disaster in the market, yet it sold 2 million in the time period. Portal 2 is down to nearly half off and yet nobody is claiming it bombed. Mortal Kombat is probably doing just fine and this is just retail stores being competitive.

That's the joke.gif
It is a sarcastic but loving response to a good deal.

grkazan12

Hey @trike are the magazines that contain the MK coupons currently available and will they be at most toysrus stores by Sunday?

Hex

Banned
grkazan12 said:
Hey @trike are the magazines that contain the MK coupons currently available and will they be at most toysrus stores by Sunday?

There may be someone who knows better, but as far as I know they were there this week too.

Top Bottom