• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round: Dissecting The Microsoft Press Conference

The dog was the best part, if only because it was actually interesting. The TV and sports stuff was horrendous, absolutely horrendous.

I'd probably give it a D, just for the horribly off-base messaging and incredibly weak vision, if not an outright lack of a vision.

I'm biased just because I got pretty much what I expected.

Actually Alex we have been told a disc won't play at someone else's house. (Unless you sign in under your account).

I'd probably give it a D, just for the horribly off-base messaging and incredibly weak vision, if not an outright lack of a vision.

I'm biased just because I got pretty much what I expected.
Fair enough. I made the mistake of getting my hopes up. =(

Xav

I don't normally say this but I had to stop watching and I'm the guy who watched a video of a girl throwing puppies into a river. That Alex guy is a joke.

Guy on the right was useless since his mind was dead set before the conference. Guess they needed one true believer for 'balance'.

Garnett was awesome and summed things up pretty well from both the gamer and publisher perspective, broke down the faults in the ONE as a TV device, and offered some dire predictions and prescriptions. Well done.

Andrea? Likes to use voice on her Samsung and to watch live TV. OK.

i-Lo

One thing to wonder, about what Garnett Lee said about the pricing model is whether we'll actually see a change in that (for AAA titles) especially if the days of buying used games becomes more trouble than they're worth.

madmackem

God damn andrea rene looking fiiiiiiiine, i think they are right we dont know right now but that is down to ms giving out mixed messages all through that reveal day it was a complete cluster fuck of a day.

So Alex is saying people wants backwards compatability because all of the discs are round. He cites the NES and SNES as references saying people did not do that because carts were bigger or longer or whatever. Something happended inbetween that time that made people expect backwards compatability. Of course Im talking about the playstation 2. Plus they even said it, the playstation 3 had it. Even the 360 had it for some games. So heres the thing people dont like it when you give them a feature and then take it away from them. Thats why people are mad, its not because the discs are round.

All discussion of backwards compatibility besides Keighley's salient point ignores the fact that tech moves on, and expectations move with them. The world of tech, and people direct relationship with that technology on a software, hardware and service level has changed fundamentally since the last consoles released.

We expect our services to roam with us, wherever we go, and to have access to those services on all internet connected devices. You can explain the format differences until you're blue in the face, but the mainstream expectation will still be there.

Garnett predicting CoD:Ghosts to be $70-$80. Man, can you imagine how many studios are going to close shop if publishers raised the price of games even more while simultaneously trying to dismantle the second hand market? He's spot on about how publishers refuse to see that the economics of the video game industry are broken and it's like the music industry during Napster.

ReaperXL7

One thing to wonder, about what Garnett Lee said about the pricing model is whether we'll actually see a change in that (for AAA titles) especially if the days of buying used games becomes more trouble than they're worth.

Absolutely the prices will change. Once you have no other options they will charge you more, because you wont have any other choice.

Would much rather have seen Jeff, Jaffe and Pachter than these three. The only ones that made me want to listen was Geoff Keighley and Garnet Lee.

Papytendo

From the console that brought you the red ring: Always On

Not a bad title for the Xbox one OT later this year.

EDIT: Switch out Albrecht with Sessler and make that the permanent Bonus Round trio with Doritos Pope.

Agree with the thread sentiment that Alex guy was really not interested in any breakdown other than saying "woooo xbox rocks wooooooo TV TV TV, sports sports, call of doody". The other two guests weren't too bad. I would say Garnett was more in line with the way the majority on GAF are thinking right now. As for Andrea I don't think she said much of any consequence other than she likes to talk to her phone.

Absolutely the prices will change. Once you have no other options they will charge you more, because you wont have any other choice.
Xbox Live price increase is a perfect example too.

Prices will increase at the start of a new gen, and then prices (and ads) will increase once people are locked in.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Did this guy just say that his TV is TOO big and wants to shrink it down?!

Yes, that was the give away for me. MS had a hand in adding him in if you ask me. Why on earth would he say such a thing?

I'm also interested to see what the media eventually make of speech recognition. It's not the phrases it reacts to that would concern me, its the phrases and words it recognises that should worry people. That thing is scanning you and listening to you and sending info to the 'supposed' 300,000 servers. The government already scan for certain words on social networks, why not add identity in there too? I wonder how many times you can say 'bomb' before you hear a knock on the door?

It pisses me off when people are blindly loyal to a brand. That Alex guy is talking pure nonsense and the scary thing is that he believes what he is saying. He's an apologist and morons like him will look back at gaming in ten years time and wonder what in the fuck happened.

i-Lo

Question is whether the weak willed gamers be able to vote with their wallets so that the prices fall faster.

I don't remember buying a game for $60 in at least 2 years and none of what was bought was used. That said, I think I'm going to pay full price for upcoming TLoU and BTS.

JaggedSac

Very surprised these guys don't know that MS already indexes all the content available for the various content apps available on the 360. If I search for Breaking Bad from the dashboard, it will show me all the episodes and which service offers it. It already does that, the next box will do it as well, but do it much, much faster.

Cidd

judging from all the response in here I'm not even going to bother watching that video. nothing worse than a shill trying to convince others with his opinion, no thank you.

Biggzy

Very surprised these guys don't know that MS already indexes all the content available for the various content apps available on the 360. If I search for Breaking Bad from the dashboard, it will show me all the episodes and which service offers it. It already does that, the next box will do it as well, but do it much, much faster.

I was thinking this when they said it.

Nibel

Does that fool on the right really triviliaze the problems that the gaming community had with Diablo 3 and puts them in the same box with the problems of why most of us dislike Kinect?

Who the fuck is this clown

Top Bottom