• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round: Dissecting The Microsoft Press Conference

imtehman

Banned
you can't really knock him for saying he has no intention of getting a ps4, i know plenty of people who simply don't like Sony's exclusive offerings.

Biggzy

I knew Alex was an Xbox fanboy from watching the Totally Rad Show. He had no interest in his PS3 and would begrudgingly admit that he liked Uncharted or Journey or something. He was never quite as blatant about it as he was here though.

Funny how he immediately came out and said it.

Sendou

Microsoft says they are investing 1 billion dollars in new games. Microsoft says ALOT of stuff.

We have two generations to go off of now. If you think that Microsoft is going to magically have amazing first part output when in the last several years they have been dismantling studios.... not building or buying new ones... you're delusional.

The box may be fine, im sure their first party games will be good, im sure they will moneyhat plenty of exclusives. But lets not shit ourselves, there is absolutely nothing that has happened in the last decade to suggest that microsoft are magically going to have more first party output than Sony.

I have to say that MS had way better exclusivity output for 360 early this gen than PS3.

Bsigg12

He said "ive been hearing that playstation is going to have something similar."

It's no secret that Sony has a used game limitation system as well that's basically RFID. The question is whether they will implement it. A week ago I would have said yes. Now... I don't think they will. In fact i'm fairly certain of it.

Do you think publishers will be happy with Sony if they aren't getting a part of every game sale whether new or used? If they don't implement something, anything, they could be on the outside looking in as publishers clamor for the guaranteed money for every disc always from the Microsoft side.

I still feel the lack of BC in both new systems is too easily dismissed. To make any progress in gaming as an artform, it is hugely important to be able to easily play older games. Just imagine not being able too see movies or play music more than 8 years old...

Yeah, I'm sure they're in the process of figuring out what they can do that won't piss off consumers without losing publisher support.

It's not as much about the publishers as everyone, including doritos pope, seems to think it is.

Sony, and microsoft to a lesser extent, are huge studios on their own. So they are looking at the money they are losing. And then you add to it that they get a cut of every third party game sold on their systems as well... except for used games. So yes, no used is probably good for EA and Activision.... but the companies that benefit the most from it are Sony and Microsoft.

ascii42

Fuck, even I was extremely critical of the PS3 back in 2006 but that sounds like a horrible GameFaqs conversation instead of people employed in the industry.

Yeah, Sony's arrogance and missteps didn't make Motorstorm actually look like Excitebike 64.

Klocker

Hah people turning off opinions that they don't agree with thinking that everyone should think like them... Please GAF. You are better than this

Xbox One is not Satan, it's just another gaming option that a lot of people will choose

Biggzy

It's not as much about the publishers as everyone, including doritos pope, seems to think it is.

Sony, and microsoft to a lesser extent, are huge studios on their own. So they are looking at the money they are losing. And then you add to it that they get a cut of every third party game sold on their systems as well... except for used games. So yes, no used is probably good for EA and Activision.... but the companies that benefit the most from it are Sony and Microsoft.

Let's put it bluntly: it always comes down to money.

Cidd

He said "ive been hearing that playstation is going to have something similar."

It's no secret that Sony has a used game limitation system as well that's basically RFID. The question is whether they will implement it. A week ago I would have said yes. Now... I don't think they will. In fact i'm fairly certain of it.

Thank you, that's very interesting. Maybe Sony is sticking to online passes?

RPGCrazied

It seems like most of the gaming media won't say anything overly negative about the device, which is a shame. Need more people like Marcus to tell how it is.

you can't really knock him for saying he has no intention of getting a ps4, i know plenty of people who simply don't like Sony's exclusive offerings.

Oh totally, when it comes down to it this whole thing is about personal preference. If Alex wants to like XBO more the PS4 then thats fine. All I can say is that hes arguments do not convence me or line up with what I am wanting from a next gen system. Then you move along, theres no reason to be upset. Agian, the only thing that did bother me was hes backwards compability comment.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Even tough I disagree with Alex, he is the main target audience for MS. He even said that he would buy a xbone no matter what.

Hah people turning off opinions that they don't agree with thinking that everyone should think like them... Please GAF. You are better than this

Xbox One is not Satan, it's just another gaming option that a lot of people will choose
His opinion was "it didn't matter what they showed I was going to get one anyway".

That is the epitome of useless for this discussion.

Empty

i haven't listened to weekend confirmed in ages so it's nice to see garnett can still bring it from time to time

albrecht is ridiculous

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'm well aware but the situation isn't as cut and dry as dropping it to make sure you don't get the same backlash as your competitor.

madmackem

Do you think publishers will be happy with Sony if they aren't getting a part of every game sale whether new or used? If they don't implement something, anything, they could be on the outside looking in as publishers clamor for the guaranteed money for every disc always from the Microsoft side.

Thats not how business works, they wont leave money on the table with sony, ms doesnt sell enough consoles WW for them to risk the house on backing them some how turning around things outside of the usa. And from what was shown the american box added more fuel on the fire outside of the usa.

Trigger

I still feel the lack of BC in both new systems is too easily dismissed. To make any progress in gaming as an artform, it is hugely important to be able to easily play older games. Just imagine not being able too see movies or play music more than 8 years old...

I agree. I imagine as we get closer to a mostly DD gaming future backwards compatibility will become more important though.

Ocaso

It is important to preserve gaming's past, but it's also important to remember that this is never going to be console makers' big concern. As far as they're concerned, the original hardware still exists. It's also not a challenge unique to software. Film degrades, LPs lose fidelity every time you play them, etc. preservation involved either people carefully archiving them or transferring to newer media.

Bsigg12

About the music business finally changing their model, I like the idea of a monthly online game service ala Spotify. Pay so much per month to download whatever games (new and old, unlimited downloads) you want but if you cancel the service you lose all the games. To me, that would be amazing, I would just buy a 2 TB external hard drive for the Xbone or the PS4 and just go to town.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thats not how business works, they wont leave money on the table with sony, ms doesnt sell enough consoles WW for them to risk the house on backing them some how turning around things outside of the usa. And from what was shown the american box added more fuel on the fire outside of the usa.

The XBO's performance outside of the US is what I'm most curious about. It'll do fine in the US but with so many of it's main features not working in other territories, the DRM issues, and Sony's profile in other places I'm really curious as to how it'll do.

I've heard her name before but that's the first time time I've seen/heard/read anything by Andrea Rene. Honestly... she didn't say anything of substance. She had haircut over there to make her look good by comparison, but she really just said a whole bunch of nothing.

I thought garnett was on point and pretty elegantly explained his issues and looked to cut through the PR to what the reality was going to be.
She used to work for machinma and occasionally talked like a pr person for games on garnett's podcast when she wasnt. Someone caught her shilling for need for speed last year on twitter or something during the dorito dew keighley escapade.

I was ready to lambast GAF for calling someone an awful fanboy just because they disagree with them, but then I watched the video. Alex Albrecht is terrible.

Completely new architectures and too cost prohibitive. There's literally no way to do it unless you include old hardware inside the box (and take on all the costs associated with it) or sell an external box, in which case you might as well keep your current box. Emulation, of course, is always an option but that's way, way, way too far off. If Microsoft's numbers are correct and only 5% of their audience used BC at one point (not sure if Sony ever released any stats), it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

Just keep your old box.

People should rather blame the publishers rather than the Console makers for those no used games policies. They are the ones imposing that shit on microsoft and Sony.

Yes you can. I am a huge Sony fan, but even I'm waiting until E3 to see what everyone has to show. That includes Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

madmackem

The XBO's performance outside of the US is what I'm most curious about. It'll do fine in the US but with so many of it's main features not working in other territories, the DRM issues, and Sony's profile in other places I'm really curious as to how it'll do.

Yeah there is a growing unrest that gamers in mainland europe get next to nothing for there gold money. The brand isnt very strong outside of the uk and we all know how little its thought of in japan. Thats why i dont see third parties pulling support from sony in the event they dont give them what they want with regards draconian drm.

Biggzy

Completely new architectures and too cost prohibitive. There's literally no way to do it unless you include old hardware inside the box (and take on all the costs associated with it) or sell an external box, in which case you might as well keep your current box. Emulation is always an option but that's way, way, way too far off. If Microsoft's numbers are correct and only 5% of their audience used BC at one point (not sure if Sony ever released any stats), it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

Just keep your old box.

It is very telling that both MS and Sony have not gone with hardware BC.

Darklord

Banned
Even tough I disagree with Alex, he is the main target audience for MS. He even said that he would buy a xbone no matter what.

That's an incredibly small target audience. They don't have loyalists like Apple. PlayStation were the dominant kings for 2 generations. The PS2 sold as much as both 360 and PS3 combined. If they're trying to sell to the people already sold on it...lol, that's one real shitty marketing.

RPGCrazied

I like Alex on diggnation, haven't watched it forever though, but disagree with him 100% here. Why do you want this TV feature? Ever heard of a cable box and remote? Takes 2-3 button presses to switch to game and get back to watching TV.

aeolist

Banned
i was actually going to watch this despite garnett until the guy with the shitty hair said he's been an xbox fanboy since day uno

nope.gif

Let's put it bluntly: it always comes down to money.

Exactly.

But I think people are overblowing that this is pressure from outside publishers. Im sure they want it... but the reason these things were ever investigated in the first place was because it would make Sony and MS more money. Not because they wanted to please their partners. That's just a nice bit of gravy on top.

Honestly though, I don't think either are going to happen. Im fairly certain that Sony has dropped their plans based on a few folks I've talked to. And even though I don't really like microsoft... they aren't stupid... they have plenty of time to roll this back. They already have been if you compare how restrictive the policy sounded on day one and what it sounds like now (with the inclusion of "we will have more to say later"). Basically the outrage is making everyone take another look at these things and see if its worthwhile. And I know a lot of people around here think that publishers are strong arming them into this... but as I explained above, they aren't, these are initiatives by sony and MS to make money for Sony and MS. If they feel like the consumer outrage will cut into their profits more than used games will... used games will be just like they were last gen. And that's what I expect to ultimately happen.

And this flies in the face all of the people saying "CALM DOWN, WAIT FOR E3!!!" The lesson here is not to calm down, it's too tell these companies you don't like what they are doing. Which means take off your fanboy hat for a second and join in letting whatever company you have a preference for know you aren't happy. If everyone was quiet after the MS reveal I can guarantee that both companies would be full steam ahead with restrictive policies. Hell, they would possibly be making them more restrictive.

Biggzy

People should rather blame the publishers rather than the Console makers for those no used games policies. They are the ones imposing that shit on microsoft and Sony.

They probably have lobbied to have used games restricted, but both manufacturers also potentially gain from it as well.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I am just leaving this here.

http://youtu.be/ROpSEiR9nZw

Just sayin...

Motorstorm... N64.....

KKgxe.gif

Completely new architectures and too cost prohibitive. There's literally no way to do it unless you include old hardware inside the box (and take on all the costs associated with it) or sell an external box, in which case you might as well keep your current box. Emulation, of course, is always an option but that's way, way, way too far off. If Microsoft's numbers are correct and only 5% of their audience used BC at one point (not sure if Sony ever released any stats), it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

Just keep your old box.

x1 is supposedly an all in one box yet it cant play their own 360 games.

Top Bottom