• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round: Dissecting The Microsoft Press Conference

Globox_82

Banned
Garnett is on the money.

The people who think that publishers will drop prices if used games are banned are delusional.

I have been saying this for years. If anything they will abuse the power that they will get over gamers.
I DON'T buy used games, but I am all for them. I know it helps many people get NEW games when they trade old ones.

Exactly.

But I think people are overblowing that this is pressure from outside publishers. Im sure they want it... but the reason these things were ever investigated in the first place was because it would make Sony and MS more money. Not because they wanted to please their partners. That's just a nice bit of gravy on top.

Honestly though, I don't think either are going to happen. Im fairly certain that Sony has dropped their plans based on a few folks I've talked to. And even though I don't really like microsoft... they aren't stupid... they have plenty of time to roll this back. They already have been if you compare how restrictive the policy sounded on day one and what it sounds like now (with the inclusion of "we will have more to say later"). Basically the outrage is making everyone take another look at these things and see if its worthwhile. And I know a lot of people around here that publishers are strong arming them into this... but as I explained above, they aren't, these are initiatives by sony and MS to make money for Sony and MS. If they feel like the consumer outrage will cut into their profits more than used games will... used games will be just like they were last gen. And that's what I expect to ultimately happen.

And this flies in the face all of the people saying "CALM DOWN, WAIT FOR E3!!!" The lesson here is not to calm down, it's too tell these companies you don't like what they are doing. Which means take off your fanboy hat for a second and join in letting whatever company you have a preference for know you aren't happy. If everyone was quiet after the MS reveal I can guarantee that both companies would be full steam ahead with restrictive policies. Hell, they would possibly be making them more restrictive.

Just want to say: I really like your posts on this matter. I fully agree with you.

And please keep us updated on what your sources say about Sony.

teiresias

Alex Albrecht single-handedly made the later years of "The Screensavers" on TechTV unwatchable. He's an uninformed neophyte with obvious allegiances who should never be asked on any panel where any semblance of objectivity is expected - regardless of the fact that he owns up to it up front it makes him worthless for real discussion.

Seriously, they couldn't find someone else to come on?

harlekin

Alex Albrecht: "Gamers are always outraged about anything. Who gives a crap. Especially if they haven't been told yet."

GameTrailers Geoff Keighley (we now have an Xbox Live app): "Sony will implement the same used games model."

We need new topic titles.

NOW.

Kusagari

If you're going to put a guy on here who says he's an Xbox fanboy then you might as well get a random GameFAQS member, Geoff.

I'm convinced that Geoff is a MS employee.

North American media is extremely pro Microsoft and it's been this way since the 360. People have short memories. 1 UP was one of the most biased sites in gaming media history at one point. They're still extremely pro Microsoft even after that abortion of an unveiling in a lot of cases. You've got publications and web sites reporting incorrect information, writing fluff pieces, and doing all the spinning for Microsoft.

And Andrea is insufferable too. She's easily the worst part about Weekend Confirmed.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm like 2 minutes in and the way that renee girl and the alex guy quickly defend watching live tv makes me think they've been moneyhatted.
Maybe they just watch live tv. Not everything is moneyhatted.

While the trend for cable subscriptions is going down YoY doesn't mean nobody does it any more.

szaromir

Banned
I have been saying this for years. If anything they will abuse the power that they will get over gamers.
I DON'T buy used games, but I am all for them. I know it helps many people get NEW games when they trade old ones.
The second point is true but I disagree with the first one. Ultimately publishers don't keep prices at a certain level to exert some sort of abstract power over gamers, what they want is to maximize revenue from any given game and if nobody buys the game anymore they will discount it. I think it would be nice if consoles had multiple digital stores to have competition not only between games but also between stores which would lead to a PC-like environment, alas it will be much more stagnant than that.

Alex Albrecht single-handedly made the later years of "The Screensavers" on TechTV unwatchable. He's an uninformed neophyte with obvious allegiances who should never be asked on any panel where any semblance of objectivity is expected - regardless of the fact that he owns up to it up front it makes him worthless for real discussion.

Seriously, they couldn't find someone else to come on?

The only thing he's good at it is getting drunk and burning food, imho.

Maybe they just watch live tv. Not everything is moneyhatted.

While the trend for cable subscriptions is going down YoY doesn't mean nobody does it any more.

I know it's just the weird way they loudly gang up on shatterfield like they were prepared for it. I know there's a lot of people who still watch live tv but I do think it's weird to see anyone think it was smart for Microsoft to bet big on live tv.

Terrell

Andrea barely showed up.

I have a feeling that Andrea will perk to attention next week with the Sony/Nintendo discussion.

But I would have liked to hear more input from her, since her Twitter account seems to show that she has a strong opinion on this and well-reasoned arguments. Perhaps she was more active on Weekend Confirmed about the subject?

jett

D-Member
it will be like that till the end[literally]

XBOX TV IS AWESOME AWESOME IS XBOX TV

Let's not act like Garnett isn't being apologetic either. It's like he's fighting with himself to not be as harsh as he should. And Geoff trying to spin everything in Microsoft's favor...man, he always does that with every publisher, but fucking come on. Let's not even bring up the other two.

harlekin

The worst thing? Geoff Keighley is no fool. He realizes that all they did after the last shitstorm is to increase the Heartbeat interval from three minutes to 24 hours. Thats all folks. Nothing to see here.

Doritos?

XBOX TV IS AWESOME AWESOME IS XBOX TV

Let's not act like Garnett isn't being apologetic either. It's like he's fighting with himself to not be as harsh as he should. And Geoff trying to spin everything in Microsoft's favor...man, he always does that with every publisher, but fucking come on. Let's not even bring up the other two.

Garnett was the most reasonable here but he was an apologist on the weekend confirmed podcast.

Daingurse

I am just leaving this here.

http://youtu.be/ROpSEiR9nZw

Just sayin...

1349110594814.gif

Hahah, Jesus. . .

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
And even though I don't really like microsoft... they aren't stupid... they have plenty of time to roll this back. They already have been if you compare how restrictive the policy sounded on day one and what it sounds like now (with the inclusion of "we will have more to say later"). Basically the outrage is making everyone take another look at these things and see if its worthwhile. And I know a lot of people around here think that publishers are strong arming them into this... but as I explained above, they aren't, these are initiatives by sony and MS to make money for Sony and MS. If they feel like the consumer outrage will cut into their profits more than used games will... used games will be just like they were last gen. And that's what I expect to ultimately happen.

I honestly don't think they will roll back after a week of bad press. They'll weather through (what they think) will be a few bad weeks of brusin' and then roll in the profits for the next eight years.

If I was a stock holder, I would actually feel like it would be short sided to give into a week's worth of pressure in exchange for all the monies of the used game market.

Of course, I think this'll have bigger implications than just the media being upset, but we'll see.

pixlexic

Banned
Garnett is mistaking. the xbox will use a cable stream and network to interact with the tv. its not just an overlay. You can already do a ot of that with your tablet now,

The worst thing? Geoff Keighley is no fool. He realizes that all they did after the last shitstorm is to increase the Heartbeat interval from three minutes to 24 hours. Thats all folks. Nothing to see here.
I still think they're going to walk that back. 24 might have been their internal timeout, but everything they've spoken about is a truly always-online system. They may just double down on the always-online nature of the box.

Top Bottom