• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

This is the type of game I'm expecting to be discounted pretty quickly honestly... If you're on the fence, give it a month or two. Retail copies will probably drop faster than digital.

krpiper

I picked up a code for $25.

I expected the bad reviews, but hopefully all you Vitabros are on point about this!

Also slow PSN store is slow

i was excited because UPS dropped off a tiny package at my door today from Amazon. i thought maybe they accidentally shipped BL2 Vita to me earlier. (has happened before)

but nope. it was just the copy of Metro Last Light i traded in last month that they sent back to me because they thought it was the wrong game. they also cut a huge gash through the back of the game case and insert with a razor, so now when i try to trade this in again they might try and stiff me on the condition.

:mad:

What is Vita tax?

The practice by professional "game critics" to mark down review scores on the most irrelevant of nitpicks because a game is on a portable rather than a console. Don't know why it waited until the Vita to happen though, considering a ton of objectively AWFUL PSP ports (and PSP-sequels to PS3 games like VC2) got amazing reviews.

Dock every non-indie game 5-10 Metacritic points because it dared to be on a dedicated portable gaming system instead of a smartphone or a console like the cool kids.

Or in this case, judging by the page I'm looking at, 20 to 40 points.

Gah, I hate metacritic anyway.

It means vita games get reviewed more harshly than other games

The practice by professional "game critics" to mark down review scores on the most irrelevant of nitpicks because a game is on a portable rather than a console. Don't know why it waited until the Vita to happen though, considering a ton of objectively AWFUL PSP ports (and PSP-sequels to PS3 games like VC2) got amazing reviews.

Dock every non-indie game 5-10 Metacritic points because it dared to be on a dedicated portable gaming system instead of a smartphone or a console like the cool kids.
Thanks. This actually explains a lot of Vita game reviews I see. o_O

BigDug13

Is it possible that this game is causing a small memory leak or something? The performance seems to be fine, but then progressively gets worse and worse and eventually crashes. Then if you do a full reboot, the performance is decent again. (it really sucks when it crashes after you finally get to 150 anarchy...)

jf DOOM

Can't believe they didn't do a separate trophy list for this game. Would have bought it first thing tomorrow, now I'll wait for it to go free on +.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Borderlands 2 for the pc is pretty well optimized, my laptop gpu is capable of playing the game at 1080p 60fps pretty easily. It's not a gaming laptop either.
Ah, cool - was more a comment on how these reviews, and a lot of people here - just an observation) tend to compare Vita versions to the PC version.

"Why would I play this when I have the superior PC version months ago?" (see: Hotline miami, Spelunky, countless others) assuming that a) most people have a gaming PC, and b) they've played these games before. Just something I've noticed.

Wouldn't really go so far as to support the notion of a Vita tax with reviews - I think ports of games to the system do tend to suffer as they're often downports from larger console versions with frame rate drops to match (this game, Sonic Racing Transformed)

johngie

Neo Member
Is it possible that this game is causing a small memory leak or something? The performance seems to be fine, but then progressively gets worse and worse and eventually crashes. Then if you do a full reboot, the performance is decent again. (it really sucks when it crashes after you finally get to 150 anarchy...)

I haven't noticed any progressively worse performance, but I'm in the same boat. It'll freeze after a decent chunk of time (I've noticed it seems to happen most often when multiple assets are pulled up at the same time, i.e. opening a vendor menu, trying to immediately select an item, and the vendor owner audio clip playing), then I say bye-bye to all of my anarchy.

As for the reviews, I've only read the IGN review, and it was pure garbage. Outside of Sanctuary and a few isolated areas, the framerate holds at a solid 30fps. I'm having 0 problems with the touchpad on the Vita slim (and my long fingers are typically always hitting something on the back but not here).

My only gripe is that characters' dialogue when they contact you via radio is often delayed, playing 2-4 seconds after their picture pops upon on the screen. It's not all the time, but it can make conversation between multiple characters unnecessarily drawn out.

Compared to most, I'm relatively new to Borderlands. I only started the first game a month or two ago, and at the moment I'm sitting at level 25 with the Soldier (I haven't played in weeks though). I'm loving this game, but I'm also very curious to see what the differences will be when I transfer my character over. I'd highly recommend this game to any Vita owner.

TomShoe

Banned
xiOHA.jpg

Help me GAF, this can't be real. They're selling a $200 bundle for a little over $130.

I could have sworn when I added this bundle to my wish list that it was $200. Did a sudden sales spike raise the price?

Edit: Ah, I see only Amazon has raised the price.

I could have sworn when I added this bundle to my wish list that it was $200. Did a sudden sales spike raise the price?

Edit: Ah, I see only Amazon has raised the price.

Looks like Amazon doesn't have any stock and all the ones they have listed are from 3rd party sellers who have decided to raise the price.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
a bit offtopic, but is Borderlands 1 worth playing solo, or should I just jump straight to BL2?

I got pretty bored of BL1 solo quickly, needed multiplayer to get through it and still haven't finished it even though right at the end(that and some missions glitched). I'd say jump to BL2.

I got pretty bored of BL1 solo quickly, needed multiplayer to get through it and still haven't finished it even though right at the end(that and some missions glitched). I'd say jump to BL2.
I actually played BL1 for a few hours and got bored too. Just wondering if its worth it to push forward and best it.

does the story in BL1 matters in BL2?

I actually played BL1 for a few hours and got bored too. Just wondering if its worth it to push forward and best it.

It's not necessary by any stretch of the imagination - everything you need to know to understand BL2 is in the game itself. However, it does help to flesh out some of the later events of the game, and some of the characters (avoiding spoilers here!). I would say if it bored you, just play BL2, you won't miss out on much and its a far superior game imo.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I am actually interested to get the game, but having already played it once, I am waiting for it to drop to 20 bucks.

I saw an eBay seller sell it for 56. Wtf?

Just bought a voucher for BL2 30$ CDN. played and loved BL1, bought 2 on Steam, played for an hour and never touched it again. Portability is key for me. (sidenote: PS4 remote play is a godsend)

Honestly , if I was able to survive Fallout 3 on PS3 including the DLC, I can survive this. Nothing can be as bad as the Operation:Anchorage. That game was a total glitchy slide show. And yet I sank 100+ hours.

BigDug13

The opening cinematic for BL2 basically describes the BL1 story. You can probably find a youtube synopsis too. It's definitely not necessary at all mostly because all of the events of BL1 are retconned to fit the new narrative of the second game anyway. It's all explained at length throughout the hours of echo recorder dialog you'll hear.

It's a better story in BL2, but in some ways I enjoyed the minimalist "story not in your face at all" feel of BL1.

OmegaZero

So, is the framerate as bad as reviews say?

Short answer: No.
Longer answer: No, but it's not what I would call "smooth" or "consistent" either. Plenty of stuttering and hitches, especially in Sanctuary.

EDIT: To further expand on my opinion, I'm finding it perfectly playable. The drops are noticeable but don't detract from the game for me, while others may feel differently.

Paris

Neo Member
Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on it. I put 200 hours on vanilla BL2 on the PS3, but I passed on all of the DLC. I got just a bit burnt out on the title and put it on the shelf for about a year. Now I'm jonesing for some Borderlands again and the added character classes and campaign DLC will be a first for me on Vita. I'm buying it Day 1 (something I almost never do) to help send the message that porting the remaining DLC is worthwhile for Sony.

The only thing that bums me out about the reviews is the short shrift they give the porting job. Just because the results are not perfect does not mean the devs were lazy or incompetent. They managed to get a title that taxes a ~75 Watt console to work on a ~2 Watt handheld. In addition to that, I've read before that Unreal Engine 3 primarily utilizes two cores, so who knows how much of Vita's third and fourth cores they were actually able to use. I'm sure it was a tough, tough job. Well, they have my money and my thanks for doing it.

Short answer: No.
Longer answer: No, but it's not what I would call "smooth" or "consistent" either. Plenty of stuttering and hitches, especially in Sanctuary.

EDIT: To further expand on my opinion, I'm finding it perfectly playable. The drops are noticeable but don't detract from the game for me, while others may feel differently.

From what ive watched online, I'd agree with you. Sanctuary is the only really bad spot (so many NPCs) but apart from
when it gets attacked and you have to prepare the city for takeoff
there's no actual combat there, so I don't consider it much of an issue.

Really looking forward to getting my physical copy tomorrow. I never put enough time into the games on PS3 to feel like I got everything I wanted out of them (never even finished ffs), and just really like having stuff portable on Vita.

Has anyone else experienced any crashes? It's happened twice to me already, both times while playing co-op

Between the crashes, lag and framerate this has been one frustrating experience. My biggest mistake was playing so much Borderlands 2 on my 360 leading up to this.

Chris R

It's a complicated process, but yes, you can. The biggest obstacle is that you'll need a copy of the game on PS3 as well. Hopefully you got BL2 when it was free on PS+ a few weeks ago. If not, you can probably rent it somewhere for dirt cheap, or just borrow a friend's disc.

What to do:
  • Copy your 360 save to your PC using Horizon
  • Create a dummy save on the PS3 version, copy it to your PC via USB
  • Get Brute Force Save Data and use that to decrypt the PS3 save
  • Open your 360 save file in Gibbed's BL2 Save Editor, use it to change the save type to PS3, and overwrite your PS3 save (don't change the PS3 save's name)
  • Back in Brute Force Save Data, encrypt the data and transfer it back to your PS3 via USB
  • Wait for the cross-save patch to come out for PS3. In the meantime, make sure the file was correctly copied. Make a backup of it as well, just in case.
  • When the patch is out, you will have your former 360 save running on your Vita.
For more info/help, check this video and this post.

Also, a caveat: your Badass Rank won't carry over, as it's saved in a different file. You may be able to transfer this file over as well using the method above.

Awesome.

Didn't grab it on PS+ but Redbox has it. I'll grab it and get everything moved over tomorrow.

Ok. I've played for about 2 hrs. and all I can say is fucking WOW, Borderlands in my hands. What the fuck are the reviewers smoking, ok slight fps drops, but it's IN MY HANDS, I rather play this way than wait for the portables that would play it 60fps. this is more than good enough. it's great.

romulus91

Ok. I've played for about 2 hrs. and all I can say is fucking WOW, Borderlands in my hands. What the fuck are the reviewers smoking, ok slight fps drops, but it's IN MY HANDS, I rather play this way than wait for the portables that would play it 60fps. this is more than good enough. it's great.

hahaha yes! il grab a copy next week but i like this enthusiasm

Redhood

So how do I save my game? I reached Captain Flynt last night and died. Respwaned at the nearest checkpoint and closed the game using PS button and swipe down. Today when I loaded up I had to go from all the way Liar berg's. How do I save the game? Do I need to manually quit from menu?

Top Bottom