• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Apparently it was Peterson that asked for the random drugs testing for this fight. And then he comes up positive in the A + B samples. Smh.

Baby Milo

Lance Pugmire ‏ @latimespugmire
Lamont Peterson needed the testosterone because he had a "substantial testosterone insuffiency," his attorney tells Nevada commission.

Letter says Peterson told this to tester VADA, a point that appears to be in dispute. "It may have been an approved exemption," letter says.

the go-to excuse. let's see what happens

I read somewhere that he claims he took some kind of testosterone pill back in November, which is actually before the first fight. Can that stuff stay in your system that long? Would also put the results of the first fight in doubt, if true obv.

Another random test Peterson took a couple of weeks ago has come back negative.

Golden Boy have said Khan will go with whatever decision the NSAC make.

LOL BOXING (again)

I guess this saves us from seeing Peterson get jobbed on the cards to "correct the mistake".

At least it was announced that Hasim Rahman will be fighting for the WBA Heavyweight title in July. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Khan vs Peterson II is officially off.

Khan looking for a new opponent for a June 30th bout.

Peterson probably going to be stripped of his titles too.

Clegg

Aren't there still doubts over the validity of Petersons victory against Khan?

Petersons title must be in danger now.

Aren't there still doubts over the validity of Petersons victory against Khan?

Petersons title must be in danger now.
Just edited my post. Most likely the result of the first fight will be voided and Peterson will be stripped, Khan's fight will probably be for the vacant titles now.

Is there any idea about who he'll be facing?
Not yet I don't think.

It'd be cool to see him fight Devon Alexander, I don't think he has a fight lined up and he last fought and won convincingly against Maidana in February. Not sure if he'd take the fight at just 3 weeks notice though.

nick nacc

Banned
huge noob here. i just want to get gafs opinion on the matter.

who was dodging who? may or paq? that being said i feel that right now floyd is a lot for confident of the potential fight than before.

Not yet I don't think.

It'd be cool to see him fight Devon Alexander, I don't think he has a fight lined up and he last fought and won convincingly against Maidana in February. Not sure if he'd take the fight at just 3 weeks notice though.

I'd like to see Marquez. Even though Marquez is past his best it wouldn't surprise me if he ko'd Khan.

who was dodging who? may or paq? that being said i feel that right now floyd is a lot for confident of the potential fight than before.

KuGsj.gif

That's a real can of worms. I'd also debate the Floyd being more confident than ever too as that's the most I've seen him touched up for a while.

abuC

Mayweather vs Cotto did 1.5 million PPV buys and $94 million in revenues, Pacman has no right to ask for a 50/50 split at this point.

theBishop

Banned

When the drumbeat first started, it looked to me like Mayweather didn't want the fight. Now I believe Mayweather wants it, and Pacquiao would do it, but Manny's promoter doesn't want to risk his goose that laid the golden egg.

Lamont Peterson needed the testosterone because he had a "substantial testosterone insuffiency," his attorney tells Nevada commission.

Letter says Peterson told this to tester VADA, a point that appears to be in dispute. "It may have been an approved exemption," letter says.

the go-to excuse. let's see what happens
I'm surprised he didn't apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption for Testosterone Replacement Therapy. A few MMA fighters have successfully gotten the same exemptions in Nevada before, and Chael Sonnen will be the next MMA fighter to get one for his UFC 148 fight at the MGM Grand.

Mayweather vs Cotto did 1.5 million PPV buys and $94 million in revenues, Pacman has no right to ask for a 50/50 split at this point.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/01/pacquiao-tops-mayweather-in-ppv-buys-for-last-three-fights/

In total Pacquiao’s last three fights have drawn 3.86 million PPV buys, while Mayweather’s last three fights have pulled in 3.65 million PPV buys. In summation Pacquiao drew in 210,000 more PPV buys than Mayweather did.

That article was posted in January of this year. Common sense would be to split 50/50, but Mayweathers ego is too big for that.

And yet he doesn't generate as much money as Floyd, Manny's highest grossing fight would be Mayweather's 3rd highest.

It's Bob Arum that is the issue here more than Floyd or Manny.

I agree, we may not know every detail but he is a big reason probably the main reason for the fight not happening. Its such a shame that the fight may never happen.

SUPREME1

Banned
This is why boxing is dying.

PBF is dodging like crazy.

If he(floyd) knows he's the better fighter, regardless the fact that pacman is shooting up or not, he should beat him.. right? Then why the fuck isn't he fighting him? Because he's scared he will lose. He's admitting that he might lose. Some reason people have some sort of disconnect with that fact. It's like they can't put the two together.

This whole e-mail fiasco is just bullshit. These two camps go through years of dodging suddenly now they get these random emails asking about drug testing? I call bullshit. Looks like PBF is gearing up his PR machine to discredit pacman some more.

"If PBF knows he can beat a clean MP, why does he not fight a juiced PM? He so scared to lose!"

GTFO.

As if the December fight wasn't shady enough already, Khan's explanation for why didn't Peterson test positive immediately after:

Khan explained: 'We both took a drugs test at the end but some guy just walked off into the night holding Peterson's sample and it's not been seen again.'

Cheaterson indeed.

abuC

I agree, we may not know every detail but he is a big reason probably the main reason for the fight not happening. Its such a shame that the fight may never happen.

I think the fight will happen, but long after anyone will care just like the Roy Jones / Bernard Hopkins rematch. Both guys will have to lose a fight or two before it goes down, or be approaching their 40s.

abuC

As if the December fight wasn't shady enough already, Khan's explanation for why didn't Peterson test positive immediately after:

Cheaterson indeed.

What happened to Khan was a joke, and now he can't even get his chance at revenge. I can't help but laugh at how stupid Peterson is to demand the drug test and fail it too.

The figures you guys are quoting is the reason this fight ain't happening. If Paq and PBF can, separately, get 1.5 million buys and make bank fighting guys that realistically have no chance at beating them, why would they kill the golden goose now? They can keep the "allure" of a potential megafight that won't really happen alive which just gives them more and more attention. People who think this is about one side being "afraid" of the other are just dumb and naive. These guys are both professional fighters, at the top of their games, and possess extreme confidence in their abilities. They've been punching people in the face since they were children. I doubt they have an "fear" of fighting another man.

abuC

The figures you guys are quoting is the reason this fight ain't happening. If Paq and PBF can, separately, get 1.5 million buys and make bank fighting guys that realistically have no chance at beating them, why would they kill the golden goose now? They can keep the "allure" of a potential megafight that won't really happen alive which just gives them more and more attention. People who think this is about one side being "afraid" of the other are just dumb and naive. These guys are both professional fighters, at the top of their games, and possess extreme confidence in their abilities. They've been punching people in the face since they were children. I doubt they have an "fear" of fighting another man.

True, I do think Bradley is a much bigger threat than people think, he might not have a lot of power in his hands but he's not above head butting and he's got an annoying style. Pac's opponent is a lot more dangerous than Cotto was for Mayweather.

Baby Milo

ruh roh

http://fighthype.com/news/article12413.html

ALEX ARIZA: "MANNY CAN'T FIGHT ANYONE NOT PROMOTED BY BOB"

By Felix Strunk | May 14, 2012

"Manny cant fight anyone not promoted by Bob," stated world-class strength and conditioning Alex Ariza, who opened up to fans over the weekend, answering a number of questions from his followers on Twitter. Never afraid to express his honest opinion, Ariza held nothing back when it came to questions regarding a mega-fight between his client, Manny Pacquiao, and Floyd Mayweather. While some fans expressed their opinion that the undefeated fighter was to blame for the bout not happening, Ariza actually shares the same opinion as Mayweather, placing 100% of the blame on promoter Bob Arum.

"Wrong, its Arum," Ariza would reply when a fan suggested that Mayweather should share the blame. In fact, Ariza is of the opinion that perhaps Mayweather should get a higher percentage of the purse if his pay-per-view numbers are indeed higher than Pacquiao's numbers. "Not if Floyds #s are higher," he answered when a fan asked if Pacquiao deserves a 50/50 split of the purse.

Some think the fight would be much easier to make if Arum was not standing in the way, but the only way that could happen is if Pacquiao can part ways with his longtime promoter, much like De La Hoya, Mayweather, and most recently Cotto was able to do. Unfortunately, that will likely never happen, as the person responsible for giving Pacquiao that advise, Michael Koncz, is more concerned with what's best for Arum, according to Ariza. When asked why Koncz doesn't advise Pacquiao to part ways with Arum, Ariza commented, "Cause he works for Bob."

True, I do think Bradley is a much bigger threat than people think, he might not have a lot of power in his hands but he's not above head butting and he's got an annoying style. Pac's opponent is a lot more dangerous than Cotto was for Mayweather.
Agreed. I have Bradley winning this fight, and it's gonna be frustrating and boring as fuck.

smurfx

get some go again
pretty much my feelings. right now these two are trying to get as much money out of boxing while they are still big draws.

What happened to Khan was a joke, and now he can't even get his chance at revenge. I can't help but laugh at how stupid Peterson is to demand the drug test and fail it too.
The officiating in that fight was even more corrupt than the first Agbeko/Mares fight. It disgusts me to think about it even now. "Stop pushing"? Really?

abuC

The officiating in that fight was even more corrupt than the first Agbeko/Mares fight. It disgusts me to think about it even now. "Stop pushing"? Really?

Admittedly he was pushing a lot, but I've never seen a ref penalize someone like that for it, and that guy sitting next to the judge and looking over his card was just despicable. The whole thing was beyond shady and so blatant, it's like the people running boxing think it's the 1940s still where people can't see how obvious the screwjob is.

theBishop

Banned
Bradley's a great fighter with a great record. He represents the biggest threat to Pacman since Miguel Cotto, arguably De La Hoya, which is virtually the whole time he's been the king of the boxing world.

The big question for me is Bradley's training. Desert Storm's last credible opponent was 18 months ago. While that was an impressive win, he got plenty of help from his head.

Pacquiao is such a despicable, evil little turd that I hope Bradley wins, but I think it's unlikely. He's a limited fighter and will be badly exposed.
Holy shit, I just saw his "response" to Obama.

Why did he ever have to open his stupid religious face about gay marriage? He's not a US politician. What did he have to gain?

What a douche nozzle. I can't root for him anymore, or wear the awesome Nike short I have of his.

Fans -1

Yeah, there's respectfully disagreeing and there's wishing death on millions of people BECOZ GAWD SED SO.

I too was a fan, but I just can't support him any more, not after something that extreme. There's such a difference between maybe saying "Well, I happen to believe..." and the lengths to which he went. I would've thought the former disagreeable and ignorant, but wow, he's gone beyond the pale.

I don't think he actually called for genocide. It seems that a sensationalist article basically concluded that if Manny is for God's laws, and Leviticus says homosexuals will die, then Manny is for the death of all gays.

However, the fact that he's against equal rights for all, after he himself had been marginalized in his youth because of poverty and his class, is enough for me to drop my support.

Not sure how my withdrawal from fandom will play with my Filipino, anti-gay in-laws.

What's interesting is that, for the most part, the Philippines is actually a very gay-friendly and gay-forward culture.

It's also heavily Catholic... and this reeks of politicism.

Amagon

"Manny didn't wish or harm ill-will on anybody. All he said is he is against same-sex marriage."

I'm a Manny fan but to hear say that "gay men should be put to death" was like a curve ball thrown at me. And now reading that, he was misquoted by a reporter has me somewhat at ease but to know that this man is not a supporter of same-sex marriage because its against, "God's Law" is kind of a let down. I will still support the man in his boxing career but his personal life has been kind of a let down to me lately. I know he is trying to do good but he is almost as controversial Mayweather nowadays.

PS, thinking of making a |OT| for the Pac-Bradley fight if no else is down for it.

Top Bottom