• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy begs two lifeguards to save drowning woman, told they're "on a break"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

dcdd177b9490a30ef10e6a706700123e.jpg

FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) — A 9-year-old boy told two lifeguards that a woman had not resurfaced after entering the murky waters of a public swimming pool and appearing to struggle, his mother said.

The body of 36-year-old Marie Joseph was found in the Veterans Memorial Pool two days later, on Tuesday night. Officials have been investigating how she could have been in the pool for so long without being noticed.

The boy's mother told the Boston Herald for its Sunday edition that the woman had bumped into her son on a pool slide before she disappeared underwater.

"He did tell two lifeguards — one said she was on break, and had to leave and the other told him they were going to do a pool check," the woman told the newspaper. "But he told me they never did."

The Associated Press, which does not report the names of children who may be witnesses to a crime, is not identifying the woman to protect the privacy of her son.

The state Department of Conservation and Recreation is investigating issues related to Joseph's death, including the clarity of the pool water and whether quality protocols were followed. No one has been charged in the drowning.

His mother said her son is undergoing counseling.

The Fall River pool is 12 feet deep and employs 12 staffers, six of whom are lifeguards and are certified by the Red Cross. All six were on duty last Sunday, the Herald reported.

"Those lifeguards need to be fired," the boy's mother told the Herald. "He's stressed out. He keeps crying, and he thinks he could have saved this lady."

The medical examiner's office has labeled the death an accidental drowning.

Commissioner Edward M. Lambert Jr. with the state Department of Conservation and Recreation said they don't know whether any of the lifeguards looked for Lambert.

"We hope to learn that from the investigation," Lambert said. "We are as anxious as anybody to get answers to this."

An initial investigation showed the water in the pool was murky from the time the pool opened for the season last Saturday. Visibility tests conducted Wednesday revealed a diver couldn't be seen at a depth of 3 1/2 to 4 feet below the surface of the water.

Joseph was a hotel housekeeper in Newport, R.I. She was from Haiti and had five children. Her body was discovered after it floated to the surface shortly before some youngsters sneaked into the pool for a clandestine swim Tuesday night.

Story Here

LQX

Ugh, that is fucked up. That fucking kid could have done more though being that he knew what happened.

Scythian

Sounds pretty traumatizing, the boy being unable to do anything, watching a woman die. Like a horror movie.

Zibrahim

So a boy lost his mother because a buffoon was on her break? And there are calls for firing? How about negligence charges and prison time for the employees and a lawsuit for the employer? This is ludicrous.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Haven't looked at OP's name I swear... I bet it's Gaborn

Thank you for ruining my day whoever OP is

Zibrahim said:
So a boy lost his mother because a buffoon was on her break? And there are calls for firing? How about negligence charges and prison time for the employees and a lawsuit for the employer? This is ludicrous.

.....I'll let other people say it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Scythian said:
Sounds pretty traumatizing, the boy being unable to do anything, watching a woman die. Like a horror movie.

He didn't see her exactly die. Just go under, hence telling the lifeguards that they may need to save someone.

That said, if the person couldn't swim why were they in the pool where they could go under? Better question is: Did they eat before getting in? Cramps + deep water = not good in general.

Too many questions about the death, but the biggest outrage is the murky water + no bodyguard attempting to save the person.

LQX said:
Ugh, that is fucked up. That fucking kid could have done more though being that he knew what happened.
get the fuck outta here man. You're placing some of the blame on a 9 yr old kid?

Gaborn

TheSeks said:
He didn't see her exactly die. Just go under, hence telling the lifeguards that they may need to save someone.

That said, if the person couldn't swim why were they in the pool where they could go under? Better question is: Did they eat before getting in? Cramps + deep water = not good in general.

Too many questions about the death, but the biggest outrage is the murky water + no bodyguard attempting to save the person.

I assumed she probably had a stroke or a seizure or something, but that's a pure guess on my part.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The original story I believe said that her and the boy collided in a slide and she never came up after her and the boy hit the water.

Soma

Should the pool water really have been that murky in the first place? That just sounds like grounds for disaster for me let alone the incompetent life guards on duty. I mean seriously, it would've taken like what 2 minutes tops to check around the area. Jeez. The management of that public pool should be worked on, imo.

LaneDS

Her body was discovered after it floated to the surface shortly before some youngsters sneaked into the pool for a clandestine swim Tuesday night.

I'm thinking those kids will be less likely to sneak into things from now on.

Deadbeat

Banned
spiderman123 said:
Yep the one HamB posted. This is the follow up
So this is the woman that sat under water for 3 days. Amazing.

Of course by amazing I mean an amazing about of people need some prison time.

Jangocube

Banned
When I first read about the story I read that the child and the family just left without telling anybody after he hit her coming down the slide.

Weird death and situation anyways. Sucks she had to die like that.

Zibrahim said:
You really like your ellipsis, don't you.........

Yes and I mean that fact that you said, " So a boy lost his mother because a buffoon was on her break," he didn't lose his mother. He bumped into a stranger ( victim) while in the pool. The mother is perfectly alive unless the pool is magical and brings the dead back to life.

JohnTuk

Banned
LQX said:
Yeah man, he should've jumped in and resurfaced from the water with the woman resting on his shoulder! /Sarcasm

Grow up

Oppo

moonspeak said:
Should the pool water really have been that murky in the first place? That just sounds like grounds for disaster for me let alone the incompetent life guards on duty. I mean seriously, it would've taken like what 2 minutes tops to check around the area. Jeez. The management of that public pool should be worked on, imo.
definitely not.

i mean, 2 days. what the hell.

i used to lifeguard summers in high school. every pool i worked at was totally visible down to the floor. that included the dive tank.

plus it used to be only 2 or 3 of us for an olympic sized pool that was very busy. this says 6 guards were ln duty, which means every one of them was fucking the dog.

they will be held criminally liable.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LakeEarth said:
WTF, undetected for days, how dirty was the water?

Can't see elow 3 feet according to the article. If the water was the murky, why was the pool open?

Like I said: Too many questions but that's the biggest outrage. I understand water is hard to see through at times, but if you can't clear the murk, there's no reason to open the pool.

Anyone else more outraged at LQX than at the OP's story? Placing blame on a 9 year old? The fuck?

Ok maybe not more outraged, but damn.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait a second, two days, murky water...

This isn't the same drowning that anther topic was made about a few days ago, right?

What is it with people swimming in pools so dirty/murky that someone can get lost under? It's a fuckin pool not the ocean, shit should be damn near crystal clear.

LQX

mysticwhip said:
get the fuck outta here man. You're placing some of the blame on a 9 yr old kid?

Obsessed said:
Anyone else more outraged at LQX than at the OP's story? Placing blame on a 9 year old? The fuck?

Ok maybe not more outraged, but damn.

I'm not blaming the kid but some of you are acting as if 9 years old's are idiots. I'm just saying I figured a nine year old would have a bit more common sense to try harder to get help for someone he knew was under the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom