• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Insider says Xbox One has sold 41 million units.

ethomaz

Banned
I think it comes from the assumption since Microsoft has a factory there, they're able to make them cheaper to avoid the really high import tax.

I always thought it sounded suspect as an excuse either way.
Well at the start of the generation PS4 was really way expensive than XB1... R$ 4000 vs R$ 2200.
But even so PS4 sold more as we have 2016 reports showing PS4 ahead.

Today the prices are more normalized: XB1 R$ 1600 vs PS4 R$ 2100.

Either way even being a hell of expensive at launch it is more popular here.

PS. Pro here is around R$ 2800 and Xbox One X R$ 2500.

Last edited:
I believe you but if you have a link showing that, that would be great. Xbox games, even multiplatform ones don't show up on French, German, and Spanish sales charts anymore.

If we go off of 25 million in the US,
2.5 Million in Canada, and
5 million UK

That still leaves around 8-9 million world wide. My impression is that Brazil, Mexico, and most other regions are in the hundreds of thousands and not millions sold, I could be wrong on that. 41 million seems like the absolute ceiling for this thing. And theres probably a significant amount of users that upgraded to the S or the X, so while its considered a console sold, it doesn't really add to the user base, and that is one of the reason think we're seeing ludicrous splits in terms of software sales, even for western 3rd party.

We aren't seeing ludicrous splits, you're generalizing by a few games. The Xbox One and PS4 have been close in the UK since the beginning, if it was all double dipping as you claim the software sales would be much lower and the hardware sales wouldn't have remained as close as they are and dropped before the S and X came out, it didn't. This also can't work because the S became the new SKU and erased the original when it came out, and for your statement to make sense 1 X would have to sell for every 2 S's sold which is not the case.

MS backed software 1st or third party also stays on the charts longer than average than PS4 games, the PS4 games have more games higher in the charts, but outside big titles with legs the Xbox backed games are constantly on the upper half of the charts more often. Like when Forza Horizon 3 was massively pushed and popular in Europe, a lot of hardware sales came from just that one game, which would skew the software numbers.

Dabaus

Banned
We aren't seeing ludicrous splits, you're generalizing by a few games. The Xbox One and PS4 have been close in the UK since the beginning, if it was all double dipping as you claim the software sales would be much lower and the hardware sales wouldn't have remained as close as they are and dropped before the S and X came out, it didn't. This also can't work because the S became the new SKU and erased the original when it came out, and for your statement to make sense 1 X would have to sell for every 2 S's sold which is not the case.

MS backed software 1st or third party also stays on the charts longer than average than PS4 games, the PS4 games have more games higher in the charts, but outside big titles with legs the Xbox backed games are constantly on the upper half of the charts more often. Like when Forza Horizon 3 was massively pushed and popular in Europe, a lot of hardware sales came from just that one game, which would skew the software numbers.

Friend, in regards to the bolded, Software sales ARE much lower. We are indeed seeing ludicrous splits.
Read dead was 68:32,
cod is 60:40
Fifa is 66:30
Assasins Creed was 67:33
tomb raider was 61:39
and RE2 was just 74:26
Kingdom hearts 3 will probably be like 93:7. The xbox version of Tales of Vesperia had 8 percent. This is MS's second best region and its ugly.

You seem way too emotionally invested in this. Forza hanging around in the software charts doesn't mean xbox is doing well, it means Forza is doing well. My guess it was probably bundled so every xbox sold counted towards forza.

Last edited:
That's what im asking, where are these countries where millions have been sold? The system is dead in Germany and Spain and is at around 1 million in France. What other developed countries am I missing where it can make up a 9-10 million gap? There is absolutely no way its close to 45 million.

Actually it's over 1 million in France, 2 million max.

As for the rest of your post you don't have enough data to say the Xbox one is dead in Germany. We have many countries that don't have recent data so to assume that the Xbox one is dead anywhere outside of Spain is just a guess.

The last numbers we got for most European territories was 2014 after second group launch and for some like Germany, 2016. Without recent numbers for the last 3 years we really can't say that it's dead in Europe,. and considering it wasn't dead in 2016 which also was the year the S came out along with a price cut, I doubt that it's suddenly dead now.

The assumption that Xbox only sells in two places doesn't really work, people said that about the 360 and yet it still sold a lot in Europe regardless. Also as I said before Europe was mainly responsible for the 1 million in 24 hours Microsoft announced at launch. And in many European countries, and Australia Xbox has a great start and kept trending ahead of the 360 for awhile. So using the 360 on as an example shows it's a pretty logical number to reach.

I think debates on numbers should only really apply for claims that it's over 45 million. The 41 million from Zhuge seems like a good ballpark.

Dabaus

Banned
Actually it's over 1 million in France, 2 million max.

As for the rest of your post you don't have enough data to say the Xbox one is dead in Germany. We have many countries that don't have recent data so to assume that the Xbox one is dead anywhere outside of Spain is just a guess.

The last numbers we got for most European territories was 2014 after second group launch and for some like Germany, 2016. Without recent numbers for the last 3 years we really can't say that it's dead in Europe,. and considering it wasn't dead in 2016 which also was the year the S came out along with a price cut, I doubt that it's suddenly dead now.

The assumption that Xbox only sells in two places doesn't really work, people said that about the 360 and yet it still sold a lot in Europe regardless. Also as I said before Europe was mainly responsible for the 1 million in 24 hours Microsoft announced at launch. And in many European countries, and Australia Xbox has a great start and kept trending ahead of the 360 for awhile. So using the 360 on as an example shows it's a pretty logical number to reach.

I think debates on numbers should only really apply for claims that it's over 45 million. The 41 million from Zhuge seems like a good ballpark.

The Data im using are software sales charts and according to them the Xbox one is irrelevant.

Friend, in regards to the bolded, Software sales ARE much lower. We are indeed seeing ludicrous splits. Read dead was 68:32, cod is 60:40 is, and RE2 was just 74:26. Kingdom hearts 3 will probably be like 93:7. The xbox version of Tales of Vesperia had 8 percent. This is MS's second best region and its ugly.

You seem way too emotionally invested in this. Forza hanging around in the software charts doesn't mean xbox is doing well, it means Forza is doing well. My guess it was probably bundled so every xbox sold counted towards forza.

You're literally using examples that make your point easy to dismiss. If you have to use JRPGS as an examples of splits this is already a done deal. not to mention the majority of games don't have those splits, you're trying really hard to make things seem worse than they actually are. You also basically flew over the rest of my post which had some additional detail that would help you understand the 41 million number better.

You are the only one that seems to be emotionally involved and confused on this number to be perfectly honest, your refusal to admit the Xbox one is selling "zero" is the basis for you think the OP is wrong.

Forza Horizon 3 was massively pushed by Microsoft, it factually moved consoles, and that game was at times the reason people in the UK brought an Xbox One messing with the attach rate. The same can be said for Forza Horizon 4 and to a lesser extent Forza 6. You not acknowledging that doesn't make any sense. When you use Jrpgs to generalize splits when Jrpgs have had the same levels of splits even in 2014 in many cases, that doesn't really help your argument.

It's also really odd that you also don't want to discuss more about the Xbox One trending ahead of the 360 in some of these countries as well, since it would give us an idea of what the 360 was doing, and how much the Xbox one would have sold in Europe for the first few years of life which would maybe help you stop assuming that Xbox one's European sales are near zero.

Another thing to discuss is the Xbox One NPD sales splits before 2018 as well. Because earlier splits were closer to 50/50 in terms of hardware sales. So that's also an important thing to look at when determining if the 41 million is likely or not. Without numbers your core argument of Xbox One basically not selling just can't stand on its own.

The Data im using are software sales charts and according to them the Xbox one is irrelevant.

You're not using data from software sales. You have quoted 4-5 games and 2 of them are Jrpgs. You don't have anywhere near enough software titles for your point about their being "ludicrous splits" to be valid. Just like you don't have any recent numbers outside Spain to determine if the Xbox One is "dead" in Europe, and even then considering the Xbox One was at 52k in 2014, I wouldn't say it's dead in Spain either, and you don't seem to want to explore previous NPD vs. Rest of the World splits, which were closer, or the One tracking ahead of the 360, or anything else. You really don't seem interested in actually exploring this subject.

Last edited:
Friend, in regards to the bolded, Software sales ARE much lower. We are indeed seeing ludicrous splits.
Read dead was 68:32,
cod is 60:40
Fifa is 66:30
Assasins Creed was 67:33
tomb raider was 61:39
and RE2 was just 74:26
Kingdom hearts 3 will probably be like 93:7. The xbox version of Tales of Vesperia had 8 percent. This is MS's second best region and its ugly.

Seems similar to the splits post 2015 for most of those games not sure why you're surprised the consoles all the casuals have would have higher ratios for Fifa and COD. Also Kingdom Hearts is a Jrpg. You're really not finding anything new here. These ratios aren't different from 2017 or 2016 with the exception being Tomb Raider. Before the S and X came out even.

Have you compared ratios of previous years? Because if you don't these ratios will surprise you more than they should since none of these are different from usual.

mejin

Seems similar to the splits post 2015 for most of those games not sure why you're surprised the consoles all the casuals have would have higher ratios for Fifa and COD. Also Kingdom Hearts is a Jrpg. You're really not finding anything new here. These ratios aren't different from 2017 or 2016 with the exception being Tomb Raider. Before the S and X came out even.

Have you compared ratios of previous years? Because if you don't these ratios will surprise you more than they should since none of these are different from usual.

I see the gap is widening after each year. In 2015/2016, you still had some games selling better on X with or without MS partnership on marketing. You just don't see this anymore. Basically, all games sell better on PS4, it doesn't matter if it's from japan or western developers.

I see the gap is widening after each year. In 2015/2016, you still had some games selling better on X with or without MS partnership on marketing. You just don't see this anymore. Basically, all games sell better on PS4, it doesn't matter if it's from japan or western developers.

Gaps been the same since 2016. Hasn't really gotten worse. Jrpgs have around the expected ratio, the casuals being on PS4 explain the Fifa COD ratios, and everything else is standard. Only MS backed games or series that were associated with Xbox have had reduced splits.

2014 MS had fire sales with AC Unity a ton of timed stuff, and Halo MCC helped keep the PS crowd a bit more until 2015. etc. 2015 had some timed stuff as well, and had had gotten some steam from the 2014 days but basically collapsed in the middle of the year until Forza and the holiday games. Since then there's nothing out of the ordinary here.

mejin

Gaps been the same since 2016. Hasn't really gotten worse. Jrpgs have around the expected ratio, the casuals being on PS4 explain the Fifa COD ratios, and everything else is standard. Only MS backed games or series that were associated with Xbox have had reduced splits.

2014 MS had fire sales with AC Unity a ton of timed stuff, and Halo MCC helped keep the PS crowd a bit more until 2015. etc. 2015 had some timed stuff as well, and had had gotten some steam from the 2014 days but basically collapsed in the middle of the year until Forza and the holiday games. Since then there's nothing out of the ordinary here.

It isn't the same because it's impossible to maintain that status quo. The gap between hardware sales grows too after each year. You can't really compare a system that sold 20 million in a single year with one that can't reach even 10, it's just not fair.

That's why you don't see any multiplatform selling better on X. I mean you find any, it will be a real exception. It wasn't the case some years ago, but it's something expected since the gap in hardware sales were not so big as it is now.

Dabaus

Banned
I don't know why dude is downplaying Japanese splits like Japanese games are inferior or don't matter. Monster Hunter, Bloodborne, and Resident Evil are some of my favorite games this gen. With splits this bad maybe Japanese devs would be better off ignoring the platform altogether? Clearly Xbox gamers wouldn't mind, seeing as they don't buy them anyways.

EDit and the splits I showed in my previous post are from 2018 games, no idea what previous years were like.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

41 million is nothing to throw a party over, but considering they're up against one of the all timers in the PS4 (will end up someone north of 120 million units sold, second highest selling home console ever) and the lighting-in-a-bottle Switch (will surpass X1 sales this calendar year), it's not as bad as it seems. They sold 6 million worldwide in all of 2018. That's the same year that they "won" E3. Well, they're guaranteed another E3 "win" this year, at least as far as competition from Sony. Maybe they can throw another 4.5 million Xboxes onto that total before the year is out. The road to 45 million begins now.

I don't know why dude is downplaying Japanese splits like Japanese games are inferior or don't matter..

What you did hear was dismiss my previous posts, take one piece out of it, and spin it.

Instead of doing that how about you realize you don't know what you're talking about and the splits you listed aren't new since 2016? Before the S was out? And that Jrpgs have been lopsided in the 10's or single digits since the Xbox One was out?

You also tried to fuse my post with Afros when I never once even talked about RE. So I'm going to be reporting your post if that happens again.

The gap between hardware sales grows too after each year. You can't really compare a system that sold 20 million in a single year with one that can't reach even 10, it's just not fair.

You're not even sticking with your original point.

UK hardware sales, which is the country the other poster talking about splits is referring to, has less than a 2 million unit gap between the two. The gaps have been the same since 2016. And as the PS4 widens the lead the games that do better on Xbox will continue to start having ratios more and more in favor of the PS4.

The days when COD had even or advantage ratios for Xbox ended in 2014. The other franchises and companies that put out games that were even ended in 2015. Since 2016 this ratios have been around the same. For Jrpgs like KingomHearts, since it's launch.

It was never about multiplats "selling" more, not sure why you brought that into the equation.

41 million is nothing to throw a party over, but considering they're up against one of the all timers in the PS4 (will end up someone north of 120 million units sold, second highest selling home console ever) and the lighting-in-a-bottle Switch (will surpass X1 sales this calendar year), it's not as bad as it seems. They sold 6 million worldwide in all of 2018. That's the same year that they "won" E3. Well, they're guaranteed another E3 "win" this year, at least as far as competition from Sony. Maybe they can throw another 4.5 million Xboxes onto that total before the year is out. The road to 45 million begins now.

They did not sell only 6 million world wide in 2016 when the Xbox One was toward 3 million just the last two holiday months NPD.

Dabaus

Banned
What you did hear was dismiss my previous posts, take one piece out of it, and spin it.

Instead of doing that how about you realize you don't know what you're talking about and the splits you listed aren't new since 2016? Before the S was out? And that Jrpgs have been lopsided in the 10's or single digits since the Xbox One was out?

You also tried to fuse my post with Afros when I never once even talked about RE. So I'm going to be reporting your post if that happens again.

Buddy, you need to chill out. I wasn't combining your post with afros. Maybe if you weren't so emotionally attached to a corporation you could handle conversations a little better. Don't worry, xbox isn't going anywhere.

Im out dude, best of luck to you.

Last edited:

mejin

You're not even sticking with your original point.

UK hardware sales, which is the country the other poster talking about splits is referring to, has less than a 2 million unit gap between the two. The gaps have been the same since 2016. And as the PS4 widens the lead the games that do better on Xbox will continue to start having ratios more and more in favor of the PS4.

The days when COD had even or advantage ratios for Xbox ended in 2014. The other franchises and companies that put out games that were even ended in 2015. Since 2016 this ratios have been around the same. For Jrpgs like KingomHearts, since it's launch.

It was never about multiplats "selling" more, not sure why you brought that into the equation.

man, it's just like US, gap is widening after each year. But look, if you think nothing change since 2 years ago, ok.

man, it's just like US, gap is widening after each year. But look, if you think nothing change since 2 years ago, ok.

All you have to do is look at multiplat ratios on this forum and see they aren't that different. The gap hasn't widened that much. This is the year the gap will likely become a much more significant factor, depending on what moves Microsoft makes.

Buddy, you need to chill out. I wasn't combining your post with afros. Maybe if you weren't so emotionally attached to a corporation you could handle conversations a little better. Don't worry, xbox isn't going anywhere.

Im out dude, best of luck to you.

I don't need to chill out, you might however, you taking a piece of my post, ignoring the rest, and trying to fuse it with the response by ANOTHER member is against the rules, and you've put no effort in this conversation at all. If you didn't why did you bring up games HE was arguing about I NEVER mentioned?

Again I think it may be best you stay out of discussions unless you want a report if that's how you want to do things. You're the only one emotionally trying to downplay these sales numbers and will refuse to admit we have no recent numbers for Europe and the 360 was tracking ahead at first, but will continue to claim absolutes with no information. You've ignored multiple posts only to respond to a piece of it, paraphrasing some of them, and then making up things up. (Your post about Scalebound in a previous thread is telling since those other projects used funds from Microsoft which was supposed to be uses in Scalebound in the first place, so you may as well say MS saved them based on your post.)

Now again I would advice changing your posting style. No hard feelings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom