• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Pakistan's prime minister and Cabinet to be arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/15/us-pakistan-cleric-protests-idUSBRE90E04920130115

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2013/01/201311592859175153.html

al said:
The Pakistani Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf in connection with a corruption case, officials say.

The court ordered the arrest of PM Ashraf on Tuesday morning, in relation to a case relating to contracts for the purchase of rental power plants by the federal government when Ashraf was the federal minister for water and power.

Fawad Chaudhry, an adviser to the PM, condemned the court's order, calling it "unconstitutional".

The Supreme Court ordered the arrest of 16 people, including the prime minister, and directed authorities to present Ashraf in court on Wednesday, local media reported.

"[Raja Pervez Ashraf] was the power and electricity minister and during that time he is said to have embezzled millions of dollars, the case was pending at the Supreme Court and the court therefore decided that the PM should be arrested immediately," reported Al Jazeera's Kamal Hyder in Islamabad.

"There were serious accusations that the PM was directly involved as minister in siphoning off millions of dollars."

The move has come as Tahir-ul-Qadri, a populist cleric, demanded the resignation of the government in protests attended by thousands of followers in the heart of the capital Islamabad. His supporters welcomed the news, celebrating at their sit-in protest outside the parliament in Islamabad.

Pakistan's benchmark Karachi Stock Exchange index fell by nearly three percent after news of the court order, highlighting investor anxiety over political uncertainty.

Yousuf Raza Gilani, the country's last prime minister, was dismissed by the Supreme Court in April last year after being found guilty of committing contempt of court by refusing to send a letter to Swiss authorities related to corruption investigations against President Asif Ali Zardari.

thuway

Guys I am living in Karachi right now. I am a US citizen studying abroad. Shit's been real sketch as of late.

edit: 4 GB GDDR5

magenta

And so the cycle continues.

Pakistan is stuck in a downward spiral of corruption and bad decisions. This is probably pointing towards inevitable military control, like before and then on and on and on.

I became friends with a doctor that came from Pakistan who has subsequently moved away. He described me some of the corruption that goes on over there, which as a result the people apparently trust the military more than the elected officials and police. From what he described the whole situation sounded really sad.

I became friends with a doctor that came from Pakistan who has subsequently moved away. He described me some of the corruption that goes on over there, which as a result the people apparently trust the military more than the elected officials and police.

Yeah. They caught a minister with a good 10 mil. in heroin in his car. By accident.

I have friends who have to pay about 2500 USD in bribes just to see their family.

OG Kush

Why is there no talk about the anti-corruption protests going on in Pakistan? It's a really good thing to see, not sure if it'll do much but definitely proud of my country that we're finally waking up.

LOL wrong thread. I have one too many pages open. I will update you guys on the situation right now. I am just waiting on my results, so I can leave soon :(.

where abouts in Karachi do you live?

liezryou

Another US citizen studying abroad in karachi... ATM everything's fine, but i can feel that shits about to go down. I'm scared D:.

Kenka

You guys go to a humid, hot and crowdy place to study with a notorious corrupted political scene. OK, food is awesome but is it really worth it ? You risk your life having sex with a girl over there, damn.

OG Kush

You guys go to a humid, hot and crowdy place to study with a notorious corrupted political scene. OK, food is awesome but is it really worth it ? You risk your life having sex with a girl over there, damn.

we got good hashish and opium here too! (the food is awesome though, and i love how everything delivers, literally everything, subway, mcdonalds, dvd rentals u name it)

I think you mean: you risk a girl's life by having sex with her.

Not sure what to think of it. Guess they're not ready for a democratic government yet. It took Turkey almost a century to get there.

Kenka

I think you mean: you risk a girl's life by having sex with her.

Not sure what to think of it. Guess they're not ready for a democratic government yet. It took Turkey almost a century to get there.
Well, yes. I guess you are stating just what is a shameful truth about the country. There are other shameful things in Pakistan such as their cinema industry, or more on topic, their political leaders. I welcome this news, i hope it shows some sustainable changes in the forces at the summit. For the good.
(the food is awesome though, and i love how everything delivers, literally everything, subway, mcdonalds, dvd rentals u name it)
I could kill for a shahi paneer with a good palaw. Jesus. And some samosas on top of it.

Good. Been watching the rallies. A bit preemptive calling it a "Revolution", but it's a good start. There are very intelligent and open-minded people living in Pakistan, who are being overshadowed by the closed-minded politicians, with corruption as bad as any other third-world country out there.

It's a good start but lets hope they don't get ahead of themselves and follow a man who doesn't know jackshit e.g. the guy who spend his life in Canada leading the rallies.

Zapages

Good. Been watching the rallies. A bit preemptive calling it a "Revolution", but it's a good start. There are very intelligent and open-minded people living in Pakistan, who are being overshadowed by the closed-minded politicians, with corruption as bad as any other third-world country out there.

It's a good start but lets hope they don't get ahead of themselves and follow a man who doesn't know jackshit e.g. the guy who spend his life in Canada leading the rallies.
Don't tell me you were talking about that Canadian mullah Tahir ul Qadari?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom