• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild has a really lame title screen for a Zelda game

s8alhqm.gif

Let's look at Ocarina of Time. You've got a shot at Hyrule Field and then bam title, pan as you see Link riding on Epona. You get to see some of the sights you'll travel on your adventure with Death Mountain in the background. It's immediately interesting.

Let's see Majora's Mask. You start off with a shot of the mask in the darkness and the Happy Mask Salesman grasping for it, then cut to Clock Town as you see the residents try to live their lives. At any point you can press a button and get to the title screen, but if you wait it out, you'll get to see haunting imagery of Skull Kid waiting high up above the town staring at the moon's menacing face, and then bam title.

Wind Waker, you see that bright sky you'll be sailing under and then in comes the boat and title, then we get to see Outset Island and Link standing at a cliff. All the while we hear Wind Waker's memorable theme music.

Twilight Princess isn't the most original game with it even trying to imitate Ocarina's intro, but it's still interesting with showing Hyrule at Twilight, starting from Eldin Bridge and it has a cool ending with the transition of Link and Epona to Wolf Link howling at the barrier

Skyward Sword has the long backstory of the land below narrated by Fi with beautiful art. We eventually get to the title branded in the sky fittingly. Leaving it at the title has loftwings flying in the background. It's simplistic but appropriate. The only weak thing about it is the transition from Fi's narration to the actual title screen as there's a second of black screen, and there's also the hideous Wiimote instructions tab, but aside from those things, it's nice.

A Link Between Worlds takes the spinning triforce from A Link to the Past but it does it's own thing by hovering the camera over Hyrule or Lorule depending on where you are.

Breath of the Wild is some powerpoint slideshow shit. Seriously what the fuck is this. It's simple but not in the way Skyward Sword's is. It's just the title with art changing every couple of seconds. Sometimes you've got Link climbing, or posing on a horse, or with his bow and arrow, or a random Guardian is there. It's boring.

I hope this illustrated how Breath of the Wild is the worst game ever. No but seriously though, it was just fun going through all of these Zelda intros again. Hope this was even slightly entertaining.

Steejee

Somewhat agree, though it does mean you get into the game faster with less to load.

Rather wish it had the Half-Life 2 ingame vistas that you'd get after getting to a certain point.

rucury

Banned
you're so right. I never thought of it before, but you're right. need that in-game cutscene before the title screen too...

Dysun

The thought crossed my mind while booting the game up. It does look low effort considering the package

how long do you spend looking at the title screen anyway?

I don't think the OP is implying that this is a big deal, just that it's worse than prior installments.

Edit:

Getting out of the shrine of resurrection is the real title screen.

Yeah, basically this. I guess you could make the argument that the game is trying to tell you to go see stuff for yourself. Still seems low effort.

I am glad I am not the only one that was let down by it. Booting up BoTW and getting ready for my grand adventure felt a little less grand when I turned it on.

psyfi

Banned
I think OOT's title screen is pretty bad too, but BOTW is definitely worse. Some shoddy graphic design with key art? meh

epmode

This probably isn't on the title screen because they want you to get the full impact when you leave the cave in the game.
They can just hide the real title screen until the player’s save has profressed beyond that point. Half-Life 2 did something like that!

ryushe

I agree. I'm surprised at how spartan it is every time I load the game up. That said, it has my favorite start for any Zelda game. That title card as the camera pans across the land...

Fat4all

Banned
Twilight Princess isn't anywhere near my favorite Zelda game, but it has a great title screen.

Also, Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda and it has a great title screen (with an amazing track, to boot).

I do find BotW's to be a little too undertoned.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Mario Kart 8 do the same thing?

And regarding leaving the Shrine of Resurrection, is that scene designed to always be the same? Or can you hang around and wait for night or for it to rain?

Adaren

It's definitely bad. If they had taken pretty much any vista in the game and thrown some soft wind sounds over it, it would have been better.

I was disappointed more by the lack of music. At least use a slower version of the fairy fountain theme. Reminds me of the Switch UI in general, rushed but works.

Alienous

The menu should be Majora's Mask credits -style camera shots of places you've visited. Just slow cuts between locations as the camera sways in the breeze. I don't know how technically feasible that would have been but it'd be a nice 'previously in Breath of the Wild' feature.

Or, y'know, at least something that doesn't look like it was thrown together in a day.

Fat4all

Banned
And regarding leaving the Shrine of Resurrection, is that scene designed to always be the same? Or can you hang around and wait for night or for it to rain?

I think you can't see clearly outside until Link starts to auto-run, tho i might be mistaken.

Probably loads in at the same time every time

Rran

Honestly, because of how quickly the game lets you start your adventure compared to the sluggish openings of previous 3D Zelda titles, I kinda bought into the whole minimalistic title screen.

13ruce

Banned
Should have been Link Sleeping with a nice epic theme. After you have played the game 1 time it should have been like that art with Link standing looking at the world but in realtime with weather sped up and the main theme from the series.

After you have gone through several things it should show the small towns, devine beasts, other locations etc. Or sort of like a showcase of Link traveling through the land of hyrule all in realtime not static jpg's.

Cathcart

how long do you spend looking at the title screen anyway?
Yeah it's a minor point but still. When I was a kid I would leave the title screen of the original NES game on while I was doing homework or other stuff because that theme was amazing. It was usually either that or Metroid.

So yeah the title screen isn't the most important thing but like I still remember that vividly and it was thirty years ago.

I wish the intro would just be Link exiting the Resurrection Shrine. That really does feel like an Intro Screen from the prior Zelda games.

Top Bottom