• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild has a really lame title screen for a Zelda game

TrutaS

Well it is a bit lackluster... but because the Switch has an amazing sleep mode, I never see it, since I just come back to the gameplay right away. But I play Zelda only at this point.

BoTW didn't even need a title screen.

It should start up like Spider-Man 2. As soon as you launch the game, it should load your last save and jump you instantly into the game.

Wollan

In general I find the UI design in this game quite lackluster. It looks cheap.

Similarly I find the textural design of everything that's related to the ancients or elders (the shrines and divine beasts) quite tame with broad beige patterns being the only design element.

It's a little blemish on the otherwise wonderful world and creature design.

KNT-Zero

I actually welcome the current title screen, so that thr whole overworld is loaded when you are about to play it, otherwise I wouldve been waiting for loooong until I could finally select CONTINUE.

DVCY201

Skyward Sword's Title Screen is still the worst for me. It's bland, has a terrible Instruction Manual Logo. Twilight Princess' was so good though. Gimme more of that.

Toparaman

Banned
It's definitely lame, but I get why they didn't spend time on it. The Switch's sleep mode makes the number of times I see the title screen very rare.

It would probably bother me more if BotW was a traditional 3D Zelda. But since the game throws so many conventions out the window, what's one more?

Nope best one yet.
Everything about botw is perfect

Everything? Like, even the cumbersome menus and item management?

En-ou

I like the art and the simplicity of it. It definitely not lack of effort. They intentionally went with that. Just look at the game for proof.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm fine with it despite kind of sharing the same sentiment since it's just a title screen, but what really struck me about it (more than quality) is how.....un-Nintendo it felt. It felt like something a AAA western developer would design or something.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
In terms of Zelda atmosphere, BotW dropped the ball immensely, both, with the title screen and the music. It is said, because some of the Zelda charme is still present in the world, but some of the series' identity had to give in for the modernism present in BotW.

whipihguh

Banned
It's definitely made to be a menu just to load the game up, especially since it skips the menu completely in your first session, but it's a shame that it really has no flair to it at all. It really seems like something the team slapped together and had no real interest in beyond the bare minimum. I think some music would have helped a lot. And if they wanted to go the minimalist route, I think it also would have been nice if the menu used the ancient history art; I'd think that'd look a bit cooler. While a scene in the world would have been cooler when booting the game up (or heck, even showing the area where you saved last), I assume they went with basic art for a faster loading time.

Pachimari

Looking at all them gifs, I think that the Breath of the Wild title screen is the best one. With Skyward Sword clearly being the worst.

jariw

I'm fine with it despite kind of sharing the same sentiment since it's just a title screen, but what really struck me about it (more than quality) is how.....un-Nintendo it felt. It felt like something a AAA western developer would design or something.

Un-Nintendo? Basically, the only thing that differs between BotW and MK8(DX) title screens is the music in MK8.

I like it, it's a clean and simple menu. And although it's not memorable like WW's and TP's title screens, the intro sure damn well makes up for it.

My friend did actually point that out, he said the word "Un-Nintendo" to describe it, although I dont think he meant that as a criticism but pointing out how different BotW really is from it's predecessors.

Nintendo always usually put out very elaborately designed menus so it really stands out here.

TZchassis

I HATE the current powerpot intro. It bothers me every time I launch the game.

They could've just used one of these (animated) just like Uncharted 4 / Last of Us if they don't want to spend a lot of effort on it.
maxresdefault.jpg

9b629ffddb0efd9736ad9eba5f9f79ecfb9003e3_hq.jpg

master-sword-botw_1200x500.jpg

Also, why haven't they already updated the text / UI to be larger on the switch. It clearly looks to be not designed for the Switch. Same goes for the lack of HD Rumble. I honestly thought by DLC Pack 1 we will get an update for these things.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah I thought this as well.

When I booted up the game for the first time on my Wii U and got this incredible splash screen as my boot screen I figured the title screen must be beautiful.

But when I set the game down and booted it up the next day I got this collage of things that honestly looked like it was from a demo version built to advertise the game lmao. The title screen for BotW is so lame.

Varjet

I don't particulary care about the title screen, it's decent, I guess.
The credits
on the other hand...

mclem

Breath of the Wild is some powerpoint slideshow shit. Seriously what the fuck is this. It's simple but not in the way Skyward Sword's is. It's just the title with art changing every couple of seconds. Sometimes you've got Link climbing, or posing on a horse, or with his bow and arrow, or a random Guardian is there. It's boring.

Worth bearing in mind that that's the title screen after you've started the game. On first running, it has the whole dramatic buildup to the plateau scene, which is spectacular.

If anything, the others have a pretty lame titles. Very literal, centered on a key item in the game. Breath of the Wild's title says more about the game, how it is different from the others, and how it is played, than any of those other titles. The title suggests a sense of freedom that perhaps, the other games don't offer. Meanwhile, things like 'Wind Waker' don't really mean anything to the player before playing the game and experiencing the mechanic that the title relates to - which isn't ideal considering the title intends to provide information about the game, in some regard, before it is played.

All of the titles are fine, really. It's just they intend to convey different things. The others, pique the players interest regarding a particular mechanic or item within the game, Breath of the Wild, suggests a shift in tone compared to the other games, which is appropriate considering how the game plays, and how it is structured.

But when I set the game down and booted it up the next day I got this collage of things that honestly looked like it was from a demo version built to advertise the game lmao. The title screen for BotW is so lame.

I agree it's generic. Not very interesting at all, but the title screen, and title, are two different things which can be critiqued separately.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If anything, the others have a pretty lame titles. Very literal, centered on a key item in the game. Breath of the Wild's title says more about the game, how it is different from the others, and how it is played, than any of those other titles. The title suggests a sense of freedom that perhaps, the other games don't offer. Meanwhile, things like 'Wind Waker' don't really mean anything to the player before playing the game and experiencing the mechanic that the title relates to - which isn't ideal considering the title intends to provide information about the game, in some regard, before it is played.

All of the titles are fine, really. It's just they intend to convey different things. The others, pique the players interest regarding a particular mechanic or item within the game, Breath of the Wild, suggests a shift in tone compared to the other games, which is appropriate considering how the game plays, and how it is structured.

I agree it's generic. Not very interesting at all, but the title screen, and title, are two different things which can be critiqued separately.
But this topic is not about the title, but the title screen, I'm a bit confused. Also, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time all have titles that are similarly evocative as Breath of the Wild (without knowledge of the game).

I actually like it/them, as i'm sure i've had a couple of different ones, they still have a charm i appreciate. Sure they're not as dramatic as the previous games but i think they put across the solitude of the post calamity Hyrule really well. Also, i rarely see them as my switch is usually in sleep mode and i only restart every now-and-then.

Zomba13

I agree. I would've been fine if they wanted to keep it simple and just have some in game view, but it's just a sideshow of concept art and looks really cheap and un-zelda like.

Mandelbo

Somewhat agree, though it does mean you get into the game faster with less to load.

Rather wish it had the Half-Life 2 ingame vistas that you'd get after getting to a certain point.

Yeah, I'd like it if the title screen was something like this for wherever you last saved the game:
https://youtu.be/mzDJ6DI170g
I mean, given the tone of the game I think just watching the world go by and listening to the sounds of nature on the title screen would've been really good (I mean it doesn't even have any music at the moment either.)

Coreda

I HATE the current powerpot intro. It bothers me every time I launch the game.

They could've just used one of these (animated) just like Uncharted 4 / Last of Us if they don't want to spend a lot of effort on it.
maxresdefault.jpg

master-sword-botw_1200x500.jpg

Something subtly animated with those kind of scenes in a similar vein to Laputa's intro but more in the style of the BotW art and logo might have been nice. Still distinct from the game's own environment but pleasant just to leave open.

9n2PZm6.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't too exciting, but I kinda like how minimalistic it is. What I do love is the loading screen; it feels strange and doesn't look like it belongs in a Zelda game, yet it fits BotW perfectly. The black and white combination, the small icons showing your progress, the little images of
the Divine Beasts you've defeated
, the way the game's logo slowly fills, it's all really good. Whoever designed it deserves a raise.

Yukinari

Mediocre title screen and mediocre ending with an amazing middle.

Minor thing but I do feel like its cheeky as fuck that after you beat the game and it brings you back to the title screen the cursor is defaulted to the DLC.

It is like the recent Mario Kart title screens (at least the MK games I've played) but with a bit more flair (those are just artwork on white) and missing the character saying the game title
next patch we need to have the voiced NPCs saying "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild"

BotW's title screen? like two seconds.

Xenoblade Chronicles title screen

I can watch this for hours tho
If you idle for long enough Xenoblade switches to vistas of the areas in the game.

Top Bottom