• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild has a really lame title screen for a Zelda game

I'd argue that the title screen should've been something like the video montages they had on the BotW website. They had like 4 of them.

jett

D-Member
The title screen must've been the last thing they did, when they finally ran out of fucks to give.

ChrisD

This was one of my biggest pet peeves with Uncharted 4. The first time I booted up BotW and saw the same issue I audibly sighed and muttered something akin to, "this again?"

I don't like the blank title screens one bit, no siree.

Yeah,title screen (and music) can make a difference.

I could stay in Persona 5 title for a while just to listen to the music and watching the silhouette characters.

As mentioned, BotW is just like a slide show.

watershed

Banned
The menu screen is not great but the title screen the first time you start up the game (it skips the menu) is fantastic. Black screen, small white text 'The Legend of Zelda" fade out "Breath of the Wild" fade in, then bright white light to start the game. Perfect.

duckroll

There's a really good point to be made that the title screen in BotW is completely different from previous Zelda games. It is also worth noting though, that the title screen is not the first thing you see when you boot the game up from a user account which has never played the game. This is important to note because title screens can act as first impressions or they can simply be intended to be menus. In the case of some Zelda games it is the former, in the case of BotW it is definitely the latter.

The first impression any player will have of BotW is a black screen with "The Legend of Zelda", and after Link wakes up and you leave the shrine, you see the sprawling world for the first time and the title logo appears. That's the designed "title moment" of the game. Subsequently when you boot the game up, you just get a minimalist menu which loads quick so you can get back into the game asap.

Neiteio

There's a really good point to be made that the title screen in BotW is completely different from previous Zelda games. It is also worth noting though, that the title screen is not the first thing you see when you boot the game up from a user account which has never played the game. This is important to note because title screens can act as first impressions or they can simply be intended to be menus. In the case of some Zelda games it is the former, in the case of BotW it is definitely the latter.

The first impression any player will have of BotW is a black screen with "The Legend of Zelda", and after Link wakes up and you leave the shrine, you see the sprawling world for the first time and the title logo appears. That's the designed "title moment" of the game. Subsequently when you boot the game up, you just get a minimalist menu which loads quick so you can get back into the game asap.
Pretty much this.

Also, on a side note, I like that the key art is available in the game in some form. Allows us Americans to see the Euro cover with Link on the grassy green hill, and them to see our cover with Link on the cliff at sunset.

Yarbskoo

It's pretty bad.

Even a static landscape shot with some nature sounds would have been better.

Subsequently when you boot the game up, you just get a minimalist menu which loads quick so you can get back into the game asap.

Minimalist is fine, but a slideshow of promo artwork just feels cheap. Even a looping video of the Master Sword in the forest with sound would have been better.

Man I completely forgot how the game actually starts up. Good shit.

My memory is hazy because it's been months since I played the game, but doesn't the game skip the title screen altogether if you're starting from absolute scratch?

edit: beaten

Kyuur

BotW just has that 'title screen moment' at the beginning of the game once you leave the cave instead. Most are only going to watch the intro once anyways so its a better format imo.

BotW just has that 'title screen moment' at the beginning of the game once you leave the cave instead. Most are only going to watch the intro once anyways so its a better format imo.

They could still have a simple title screen that isn't just rotating promo art, something like a simple grassy field like Xenoblade had, or just the logo on a plain screen.

Folstern

Minimalist would be text on a simple screen, not cycling key art like a budget game.
But... it loads faster! It... it isn't the real title screen! I mean, really, who looks at a title screen? Right guys? I like playing the game! And the game is good! It is good right, even if the title screen isn't good? Right?

It looks like a screensaver put together by a 12 year old.

Kyuur

They could still have a simple title screen that isn't just rotating promo art, something like a simple grassy field like Xenoblade had.

They could have, but then it would be like Skyward Sword's title screen (which is shit and doesn't deserve to be in this thread as a good example)! I don't know why you'd want a lame static scene over a rotation of the game's amazing concept art.

13ruce

Banned
But... it loads faster! It... it isn't the real title screen! I mean, really, who looks at a title screen? Right guys? I like playing the game! And the game is good! It is good right, even if the title screen isn't good? Right?

It looks like a screensaver put together by a 12 year old.

The no music is the worst imo.
In older Zelda games i had the title screen on from time to time just for the epic themes.

It sucks ass and massively disappointed me. Yes its actually important to me in a Zelda game. You get the feeling they just slapped that in 5 minutes mid development and then kept it because they rather spend all the remaining time on the game itself. Which I guess is fair and probably the better solution. But still, the Nintendo touch is missing where everything is perfect. I guess modern game development finally caught up to them somewhat and concessions are being made

Salmonax

Exactly this. I guess it's pretty easy to forget how the game actually starts.

entremet

I like it a lot actually.

It's very apropos. The previous 3D Zeldas had overwrought introductory sections--SS and TP especially.

BOTWs kills that convention with the cold open int the resurrection chamber and further boot ups are quick and right to the action.

jett

D-Member
Not going to go over the NES or SNES title cards? Those are cool, too.

Legend20of20Zelda20-20Title20Screen.gif

Zelda_II-The_Adventures_of_Link_%2528NES%2529_01.gif

Legend_of_Zelda-A_Link_to_the_Past_%28SNES%29_01.gif

You know, this franchise really has had a long string of classy title screens.

Until BOTW had to ruin it all.

Shame Nintendo, shame.

duckroll

Minimalist is fine, but a slideshow of promo artwork just feels cheap. Even a looping video of the Master Sword in the forest with sound would have been better.

It's definitely cheap looking and probably lazy. Minimalist can be good and it can be bad. This leans towards the latter for sure, but it's obvious they didn't spend too much time thinking about it considering how they expect people to just use it to load the save game.

People keep bringing up the vista moment or the black screen with text but those arent the title screens. Those are title cards. Those can be cool moments, I remember something similar in Kingdom Hearts II, the text in the opening video and the title card showing up when Roxas's prologue is done. But Kingdom Hearts II has its own title screen as well with the logo and character art of Sora standing in white background. A lot of games do that.

I should have maybe said start screen if that makes more sense to people getting confused.

Anyway, this isn't that serious of a topic.

Neiteio

The title screen should've just been Hudson standing on a hill, lifting a hammer as the sun shines down on him in all his majesty

Jencks

Banned
I don't mind the title art, but the lack of music makes it way worse. Even some subtle piano would have been nice.

Top Bottom