• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild has a really lame title screen for a Zelda game

I think they took a little bit too much inspiration from Bethesda in the opening of the game. They took the classic Oblivion/Fallout 3 opening that everyone loves, but they unfortunately took the half-assed Bethesda main menu screens as well!

Zips

I HATE the current powerpot intro. It bothers me every time I launch the game.

They could've just used one of these (animated) just like Uncharted 4 / Last of Us if they don't want to spend a lot of effort on it.
maxresdefault.jpg

9b629ffddb0efd9736ad9eba5f9f79ecfb9003e3_hq.jpg

master-sword-botw_1200x500.jpg

Also, why haven't they already updated the text / UI to be larger on the switch. It clearly looks to be not designed for the Switch. Same goes for the lack of HD Rumble. I honestly thought by DLC Pack 1 we will get an update for these things.

Any of these three pictures animated, or something along the lines of them, would have been great. I think it would help re-establish the mood every time you boot the game up too, once you are past the initial intro.

I keep hoping it'll be patched in, but alas.

watershed

Banned
The first time I actually saw the menu it reminded me of FFX's boring ass menu. BOTW's is not quite that bad, but close.

RRockman

Banned
Are you saying other Switch cart-based games have slow menu screens?

What's with all the thread whining in here anyway. Decent topic as any to talk about on a gaming board.

No. I think he's implying If they took the time and rendered a part of the game for the title screen it would take longer to boot, and thus lose its snapping Speed. I didn't even think about that aspect and it might have had a part in the decision.

The first time I actually saw the menu it reminded me of FFX's boring ass menu. BOTW's is not quite that bad, but close.

Nothing is - or ever will be - as bad as FFX's title screen. To spend so many millions of dollars on developing a game and have this be people's first impression of it:

WSyvHqM.png

(For people not familiar with it, it's not animated or anything; it's just a static image)

I was immediately disappointed by the title screen when I started playing. No build up whatsoever. Just, bam, "you're playing BOTW! Here's some pretty pictures!". How dull. And no Fairy Fountain theme to make matters worse. Lamest title screen from any Zelda I've played, personally.

GenG3000

The Last Story for the Wii had one of the most interesting dynamic title screens ever. Basically it updated itself according to story events.

A similar idea could had been applied to Breath of the Wild. Its main title screen could be a shot of Link camping in the area where you last left the game, press start, remove the title of the game and gain control of Link himself. That way, you highlight the nature focus of the game. It would have been perfect.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was immediately disappointed by the title screen when I started playing. No build up whatsoever. Just, bam, "you're playing BOTW! Here's some pretty pictures!". How dull. And no Fairy Fountain theme to make matters worse. Lamest title screen from any Zelda I've played, personally.
Same. At least the game itself was amazing.

watershed

Banned
Nothing is - or ever will be - as bad as FFX's title screen. To spend so many millions of dollars on developing a game and have this be people's first impression of it:

WSyvHqM.png

(For people not familiar with it, it's not animated or anything; it's just a static image)
Yeah that's pretty much the worst offender in history, at least for a big AAA game. It's so bad it cracks me up.

But this topic is not about the title, but the title screen, I'm a bit confused. Also, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time all have titles that are similarly evocative as Breath of the Wild (without knowledge of the game).

I don't think Majoras' mask does at all. I think Ocarina of Time may inform the player of some time-related mechanics, but not especially so. Majora's Mask could be anything, you don't know who Majora is, or what his mask is, so it's just jargon that the player can't make sense of. It has potential to raise interest, but little else.

And yeah, sorry for confusion. I was thinking about the title and title screen separately for whatever reason. I think it's interesting to discuss the title itself though, as the title screen has been covered here, many, many times before. It's bad.

WSyvHqM.png

This is incredible. Wow. My complaints with the BotW screen seem so insignificant now LOL

OT - I absolutely agree. Since the first boot on a new player account skips the title screen and goes straight into the game it can't really turn you off unless you happen to save and quit less than 3 minutes into the game, so that much is fine, but I'd much prefer even a simple black screen with the flat logo and menu options in that light beige tone. Or at the very least a static image. I really hate the fact that it moves and switches every few seconds, it screams amateur hour to me

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't think Majoras' mask does at all. I think Ocarina of Time may inform the player of some time-related mechanics, but not especially so. Majora's Mask could be anything, you don't know who Majora is, or what his mask is, so it's just jargon that the player can't make sense of. It has potential to raise interest, but little else.

And yeah, sorry for confusion. I was thinking about the title and title screen separately for whatever reason. I think it's interesting to discuss the title itself though, as the title screen has been covered here, many, many times before. It's bad.

From the Majora's Mask title, I have guessed that the game is about masquerading, which is quite true. Of course, this is not 100% clear from the title, but it is strongly suggested. And masquerading is a very important aspect of MM.

Myriadis

The Last Story for the Wii had one of the most interesting dynamic title screens ever. Basically it updated itself according to story events.

A similar idea could had been applied to Breath of the Wild. Its main title screen could be a shot of Link camping in the area where you last left the game, press start, remove the title of the game and gain control of Link himself. That way, you highlight the nature focus of the game. It would have been perfect.

That would mean to load everything before you even can see the title screen. And given that it can take up to half a minute to load, it's not practical. But it would be very neat indeed.

Yeah the title screen is just awful. No idea what happened here...maybe that was the last thing they designed and they had one hour left until release, lol. It's so lazy and dull ...and no music at all which makes it even weirder...

From the Majora's Mask title, I have guessed that the game is about masquerading, which is quite true. Of course, this is not 100% clear from the title, but it is strongly suggested. And masquerading is a very important aspect of MM.

I would have guessed it was a about a guy called Majora with a Mask. I wouldn't assume that it means that the player uses masks in any way.

I haven't played Majora's mask. I read about it and didn't like the idea of time pressure.

I would have guessed it was a about a guy called Majora with a Mask. I wouldn't assume that it means that the player uses masks in any way.

I haven't played Majora's mask. I read about it and didn't like the idea of time pressure.
You're missing out. You are a master of time in that game, especially in the remake. Rewind three days back, slow down the clock to half speed, fast forward by half hour chunks.

SpokkX

Are you saying other Switch cart-based games have slow menu screens?

What's with all the thread whining in here anyway. Decent topic as any to talk about on a gaming board.

Bomberman for example boots quite slow by comparison..

JakeD

This is the actual title screen OP, what you're showing is the main menu.

DDuhUVAUMAE0m3n.jpg:large

Seriously, is it just that everyone is 200 hours removed from this moment and has forgotten how great it is?

I think I saw the main menu twice in my entire playthrough because of sleep mode

13ruce

Banned
As well as OST.
And plot.
And dungeons.
And bosses.
And characters.
And puzzles.
And enemies variety.

The dialoge is pretty well done honestly for a Zelda game, really well done and Link exactly has the same dry sarcastic humor as myself:p Champions and ending were meh tho and this game has the same amount of plot as a Zelda handheld game:/ no epic ending no epic/fantastic plot like older mainline games such as Oot, MM, TP, WW, SS, Spirit tracks, minish cap, Link Between Worlds etc.

Puzzles were pretty okay shrines were pretty good.

Bosses great but easy if you gain powerfull weps.

Enemy variety agreed but i do love the bokoblin design that one should be a keeper hopefully darknuts etc return in the next one.

Dungeons agreed those were severly dissapointing i prefer oldschool dungeons 10000000 times more.

Still 10/10 game imo but if they improve those things 11-12/10.

Metalgus

Banned
Yeah. it's pretty bland in comparison. I guess I like it enough, but I hate the following art piece, so ugly, what kind of pose is this...

20170316184211.jpg

Frodo

Yup. Putting them all side by side makes BotW look bad. But as it has been said, the title screen is coming out of the Shrine of Resurrection.

I literally didn't even see the title screen until I'd finished the game. The first time you boot up the game it just starts with no menu, and my Switch stays in sleep mode when I'm not playing it, so the first time I saw it was when I got booted back there after the credits :p

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's why the title screen is a slide show. They don't want to spoil you on what the game will look like until you emerge from the cave.
Title screen should've changed to that shot after the player leaves the cave.

You're missing out. You are a master of time in that game, especially in the remake. Rewind three days back, slow down the clock to half speed, fast forward by half hour chunks.

Just sounds like a persistent annoyance to me. I like to explore, mess around, etc and not need to have something in the back of my mind telling me that I'm wasting time.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Well, when it was still about guessing, the name was Mask of Mujula for me (this is what German magazines wrote) and this made clear it was more about the mask than "Mujula".

You should play Majora's Mask if you like Zelda in general. The only actual pressure by the time limit is that you have to solve a dungeon within two hours, but two hours are really plenty for solving a dungeon. Other than that, you can rewind time as often as you want, keeping your key progress you can carry around with you, so it's not like you are playing against the time limit most of the time. I did not experience much redundancy through the time limit. On the other hand, this time limit allows to carefully craft a world where every character has a unique behaviour hand crafted based on the time, which is in turn used for puzzles and sidequests in an outstanding way. Majora's Mask is a very special game.

Shin-Ra

Yeah. it's pretty bland in comparison. I guess I like it enough, but I hate the following art piece, so ugly, what kind of pose is this...
I call it The Sophitia.

y6k52q2.gif

"Oh so you've been watching me from behind all this time, have you."

It hasn't even been 5 months and the Zelda cycle is in full affect with some people. Christ.

Breath of the Wild is incredible, simply put.

Top Bottom