• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear BritGaf,

I'm heading to London next week on a one week holiday. Any tips, awesome places to go and eat? Places that are not really know by tourists but is actually really fucking awesome to go.

I'm a muslim and be bringing a girl there who is expecting some adventure or fun.

Please help, thank yous.

Sorry, most of my London tips involve drinking

Recall

When is your birthday: 6th April
Where do you live: Rotherham
Where are you from: Manchester
What do you do: Print Systems
What is your quest: To not burn the dinner
Favourite actor/actress: James Stuart
Favourite band/artist: Foo Fighters and Brand New
Favourite TV show: (currently) Person of Interest
Favourite crisps: Salt & Vinegar
Favourite biscuit: Anything with chocolate on it
Least favourite Pokémon: no idea, some new gen I know about nothing about
Stalactites or stalagmites: Stalactites
How do you cut your sandwiches: I don't cut.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Ahh man my morning, my boss has been distant the last few days and I kinda suspected something was up but I wasn't expecting what I got.

Usual discussion commenced when he came in to work but something was off, I eventually moved on to the subject of a coworker who had been annoying me, he kinda went quiet so I just carried on, he was working his way up to saying something... After me getting a few digs in he stopped me and said "ya see Tom, here you are complaining about a member of staff, but everyone seems to be complaining about you"

My stomach dropped but in a weird sense of relief, it's finally happened, I've turned into what I previously had despised, a shit immature worker. My boss said I was supposed to have to wait to be told about it at the appraisal but I pushed to know what I have done... It's not good, since Christmas I've been cynical, bitchy, rude, hard to get on with, lazy, uninterested and all around shite.. In a strange way I'm relieved, I have been all of those things and I may not be filled with remorse right now, although I am feeling pretty bad about upsetting my coworkers who used to love working with me, but it's been identified and I'm essentially losing grasp on the guaranteed job I had been offered at the end of this apprenticeship.. But now I know, I can use this holiday to reflect on this job

The problem with me feeling so low is that I don't what is causing it, it could be any number of things making me act like an insufferable cunt, is it the strain of my family problems that I have previously managed to ignore and bottle up have caught up with me ? Or is it because I'm feeling alone and lost with nobody here to see that I can really relate to.. The last thing I want it to be is this job, but if it is that will really require some serious action..

Right now I'm still kinda shocked by the talking to but I now know I've got to go home and really deal with this mental instability the best I can and get back to wanting to do this, when I go home I'm gonna get trainers on and go for a run a start thinking up my game plan...

Heavy post laced with phrases even 13 year old me would cringe at but Meh

TL;DR CRAAAAWLING IIIIINNNNNN MYYYYYYYY SSSSKKKKKKIIIIIIIN

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm coming from Malaysia, she's studying in UK so she knows most of the normal tourist spots to go to.

So stuff like Camden and Convent Garden sounds awesome! Not to mention Prince Charles Cinema. Any others?

Yeah, Prince Charles Cinema always has some great classics showing. In fact, Leicester Square is pretty good hanging out spot. There's an M&M chocolate store there that's great for a browse. If you can get a ticket then check out a play or musical.Plenty of choice. Stand-up comedy man! There's always tickets for a small comedy gig. Namco Station if you're into arcade video games. Gaming bar "Loading" is worth seeing. Lovely atmosphere, friendly people and surely they can whip up some tasty alcohol-free cocktails for you and your friends while you play some awesome retro console games. Hamley's Toy store if you're into that or just looking to kill time. Go see the HMS Belfast if you're into warships. Huge IMAX Screen at the BFI IMAX theatre. Quite a nice looking building too. British Museum from the inside is lovely too. London Eye. You get some amazing middle eastern cuisine at Edgware road. If you or her are obsessed with Sherlock then stop by at Baker Street. If she's into shopping then stop by at Harrods. Apart from going to see the normal touristy bits like Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Madame Tussauds etc. just go for a random wander around the city and chances are you'll bump into something worth checking out. That's the best way to experience London I found. In fact, that's how I came across the Borough Market. Go there too.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm coming from Malaysia, she's studying in UK so she knows most of the normal tourist spots to go to.

So stuff like Camden and Convent Garden sounds awesome! Not to mention Prince Charles Cinema. Any others?

For extraordinarily quirky architecture and collections, try the Sir John Soanes Museum in Lincolns Inn Fields. One of those places that sticks in the mind for years afterwards.

Mikeside

Ahh man my morning, my boss has been distant the last few days and I kinda suspected something was up but I wasn't expecting what I got.

Usual discussion commenced when he came in to work but something was off, I eventually moved on to the subject of a coworker who had been annoying me, he kinda went quiet so I just carried on, he was working his way up to saying something... After me getting a few digs in he stopped me and said "ya see Tom, here you are complaining about a member of staff, but everyone seems to be complaining about you"

My stomach dropped but in a weird sense of relief, it's finally happened, I've turned into what I previously had despised, a shit immature worker. My boss said I was supposed to have to wait to be told about it at the appraisal but I pushed to know what I have done... It's not good, since Christmas I've been cynical, bitchy, rude, hard to get on with, lazy, uninterested and all around shite.. In a strange way I'm relieved, I have been all of those things and I may not be filled with remorse right now, although I am feeling pretty bad about upsetting my coworkers who used to love working with me, but it's been identified and I'm essentially losing grasp on the guaranteed job I had been offered at the end of this apprenticeship.. But now I know, I can use this holiday to reflect on this job

The problem with me feeling so low is that I don't what is causing it, it could be any number of things making me act like an insufferable cunt, is it the strain of my family problems that I have previously managed to ignore and bottle up have caught up with me ? Or is it because I'm feeling alone and lost with nobody here to see that I can really relate to.. The last thing I want it to be is this job, but if it is that will really require some serious action..

Right now I'm still kinda shocked by the talking to but I now know I've got to go home and really deal with this mental instability the best I can and get back to wanting to do this, when I go home I'm gonna get trainers on and go for a run a start thinking up my game plan...

Call me tonight bro, let's talk :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

That's crap. Hope you're ok. I'm going to give you a long drAwn out reply soon.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NinjaboiX! You damn straight I complained!!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Oh dear. Been there, done that. Feels horrible.

Pro tips:

1) Behave like you know how you need to behave. Fake it. It works short term.

2) Relax. Yeah I know, but relax dammit! Take longer baths or something.

3) That should buy you a bit of time to get your thinking sorted out.

Being as I don't know you Tash there's nothing else I can offer, but do chat to Mike/listen to sploat etc. Feel free to PM me if you want.

It's not the end of the world by any means, might just be the start of getting shit sorted out.

theaface

After me getting a few digs in he stopped me and said "ya see Tom, here you are complaining about a member of staff, but everyone seems to be complaining about you"

Sorry to hear about your predicament. That must be a pretty rough thing to be told. There's always a certain level of office chit chat/gossip, and I do wonder what other people say/think about me. I definitely know I'm not the best I can be at work, in many senses.

As it relates to your situation, at least the talking to that you got may well be the shake-up you need, whether that be to pull your socks up and redeem the current job or to realise that you weren't actually where you wanted/needed to be. Good luck with it regardless and kudos for dealing with it in decent way.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yo Mike, remember how you said you were selling your PS3 games? Do you happen to have a copy of Diablo III I could buy off you?

Oh and I'm thinking of picking up either a dirt cheap second-hand 3DS or PS Vita for my travels this year. Thinking of 3DS only becuase the majority of people I know have one (lots of multiplayer although they only play Pokemon) but on the other hand a PS Vita would be a good idea for when I get a PS4 in the future. No idea about games for either of them. Unsure about different models of PS Vitas but I'd be happy to settle with a normal first-gen 3DS since it's tiny and looks pretty sweet.

Any suggestions?

Yo Yoshi, you gonna hang out with us this time?

Sorry to hear about your predicament. That must be a pretty rough thing to be told. There's always a certain level of office chit chat/gossip, and I do wonder what other people say/think about me. I definitely know I'm not the best I can be at work, in many senses.

Ditto this, I do a good job but I know I could do better, go the extra mile, I just get absolutely no incentive to do so. I figure why bother? Why stress myself out over stuff, work longer hours and do more than I really need to for nothing in return? My company only seems to reward ass kissers, tell tales, and bitchy gossipy people.

Symphonia

Banned
I do a good job but I know I could do better, go the extra mile, I just get absolutely no incentive to do so. I figure why bother? Why stress myself out over stuff, work longer hours and do more than I really need to for nothing in return? My company only seems to reward ass kissers, tell tales, and bitchy gossipy people.
I think this is the first time we agree on something and share something in common.

Mikeside

Yo Mike, remember how you said you were selling your PS3 games? Do you happen to have a copy of Diablo III I could buy off you?

Oh and I'm thinking of picking up either a dirt cheap second-hand 3DS or PS Vita for my travels this year. Thinking of 3DS only becuase the majority of people I know have one (lots of multiplayer although they only play Pokemon) but on the other hand a PS Vita would be a good idea for when I get a PS4 in the future. No idea about games for either of them. Unsure about different models of PS Vitas but I'd be happy to settle with a normal first-gen 3DS since it's tiny and looks pretty sweet.

Any suggestions?

Sorry buddy, no dice!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Sorry to hear this buddy :)

My two penneth:

1) working with idiots has a tendency to make smart sensitive people like you go a bit apeshit, I empathise and understand how you feel. It's very hard to be nice to people you have negative respect levels for
2) I honestly think you are too good for bar work. You're a smart cookie, it's beneath you. You deserve to be paid more and working somewhere you enjoy and more importantly, where people will enjoy you.

If I were you I'd have a good long think about it all. Just remember - you're very young. You have zero ties. You can do whatever the fuck you want. So do you want to be doing this?

NinjaBoiX

Damn Tash, that's not ideal mate. But it sounds like he's giving you a kick up the arse more than anything, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You seem to know what you need to do anyway, so there isn't really much advice to offer.

However...

It's not the end of the world by any means, might just be the start of getting shit sorted out.

...I'd say this is true.
Haha, alright Yoshi ma boi! Get a hold of Riggs mane, let's get drunk and Mumble, been too long.

Also, I got perma'd briefly during a junior cull months ago, it appears to wipe your fiend list, Squiddy is my only GAF buddy at the mo...

dmYtyws.jpg

I think we'd need to chip in for plane tickets, he's in Sweden innit!

Ditto this, I do a good job but I know I could do better, go the extra mile, I just get absolutely no incentive to do so. I figure why bother? Why stress myself out over stuff, work longer hours and do more than I really need to for nothing in return? My company only seems to reward ass kissers, tell tales, and bitchy gossipy people.

Damn straight, I start before 08:00 and I'm out by 16:00 no ifs or buts.

If someone comes to me just before finishing time with something that needs doing by the morning I politely tell them to get fucked and to sort their work priorities out.

I enjoy my job but with so many of my colleagues being made redundant with no handover process I think I can be forgiven for having a no nonsense attitude.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm getting bored of my job. I honestly wanted to pursue a career in this field of work and thought I'd stay in it for the long haul but the company, as a whole, is a mess. I'm not going to quit now but I will continue to look for a job elsewhere.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bro I'm not even Brit!
Haha, alright Yoshi ma boi! Get a hold of Riggs mane, let's get drunk and Mumble, been too long.

Also, I got perma'd briefly during a junior cull months ago, it appears to wipe your fiend list, Squiddy is my only GAF buddy at the mo...QUOTE]
Man I've been seeing/talking to Riggs and he don't drink anymore! Actually he's spamming all dem hours into PS4 NBA :D

SmokyDave

Sounds rough, Tash. Also sounds like you were expecting it though. Perhaps you're already moving in the right direction. I'm with Phi, fake it for now and try to relax as much as possible. Let your head straighten itself out.

Any suggestions?
Buy a Vita. Soon as possible.

Not a bad start to the morning.

Car insurance down from £65 to £51 per month with the automatic renewal, but after going to moneysupermarket.com, I've got it down to £34 with the same company, Tesco. I'm only driving a 1.2 Hyundai as well.

Now I don't feel like I'm being completely bummed.

theaface

I second this. Got one for crimbo and can't believe how much I'm enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is great too (I have both).

Won't go into the whole pros and cons of each system but I will say if you've been hoarding Vita games through PS+ like I did, it massively pays dividends once you do get the system - I've got a great backlog to get stuck into. Generally gaming on the Vita is cheaper compared to the 3DS.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I second this. Got one for crimbo and can't believe how much I'm enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is great too (I have both).

Won't go into the whole pros and cons of each system but I will say if you've been hoarding Vita games through PS+ like I did, it massively pays dividends once you do get the system - I've got a great backlog to get stuck into. Generally gaming on the Vita is cheaper compared to the 3DS.

I third this (I knew smoky would say something!) .

I've had both and for me the Vita is just perfect. In fact, it was that little super oval that got me back into gaming. Remote play is grand too, although I've not found a decent enough Wi-Fi in the cafes near my work to test it outside of our flat.

The 3DS isn't rubbish though. I just wasn't really into the Nintendo IPs and for some reason the lack of trophies really put me off.

There's only one model at the mo in the UK. You could import a fancy new one from Asia. They're lighter, have a tiny bit of internal save memory and have different colour choices but the screen's not quite as purdy.

Dear BritGaf,

I'm heading to London next week on a one week holiday. Any tips, awesome places to go and eat? Places that are not really know by tourists but is actually really fucking awesome to go.

I'm a muslim and be bringing a girl there who is expecting some adventure or fun.

Please help, thank yous.

I mentioned this in an another thread, go to the museums. The National History, British, and Science musems, they're free and awesome. You'll have a lot of fun.

There's a big foetus at the National History one, don't miss it:
baby-womb-410h-slide_13374_1.jpg

09fb98cc65cd024b02f0f7899678a426.jpg

1465a3d4ac6e2eda57571d7574a6be5c.jpg

00902161ce955ce10c84ff937a737e7c.jpg

Please please please go to the London Planetarium at the Royal Observatory Greenwich, I only went there a few weeks ago and it was amazing. I guarantee you'll want to become a space nerd after that.

If you want to check out a mosque, go to Regents St mosque.

decaf

I despise PS+. I hate the idea of having to continue to pay a subscription to get access to games, and missing out on games on lapsed subscriptions. It should be a service not unlike Netflix, but for games: have a range of games available, with some dropping out occasionally when licensing expires.

But yeah... Vita is great. Just ordered a 64GB card. I wish Me & My Katamari and the PSP Burnout games were backwards compatible though. *sigh*

(3DSXL is fab too...)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I don't know you, but that's the beauty of the internet : advice from untrustworthy strangers.

What you said resonated with me cause I had a similar experience in my last job. I'd started as a trainee, all buoyed up and keen and by the end I was being called into siderooms by the 'team' and told that my performance wasn't good enough and even that I wasn't bright enough to do the job.

First thing to say is that it takes two to tango, baby. People don't exist in a vacuum. I don't know if you're like me in that if you're unhappy it comes out in the way you are without you noticing. I'd always thought it as me, that I needed to try harder and be more like them, but I was so so wrong.

I'm mega sensitive and also have shite mental health and I'd thought ah well the way I am is my fault. I need to meditate, go to counsellors etc etc. It's rubbish. I was unhappy because of the people I worked with and the environment. I actually think it's harder to admit that rather than blame yourself (esp if you're like me in that you blame yourself for everything). The people I worked with were horrible. I was subconsciously slacking because frankly I felt like they may have been my bosses but they were numpties and I knew more than them about Life and all that when I was 16.

I felt absolutely alone there - there was me and two bosses and almost everyone else was almost like an alien. I had no idea how to speak to them - it was all golf, skiing, weddings and finding rich husbands. You kind of need nutritious conversations at work or you go crazy. it's a natural human need. I ended up by myself most days just getting cabin fever.

Thing that I learned is that it's just a job. It's not you, it's just something you do to get paid. It's not that important and the people there don't define who you are. Sounds to me like you might be on a losing battle here - once they say this kind of thing it's usually pretty grim. And even then if you 'turn it around', do you want to? Are they worth it?

You say serious action, but how serious is it? You're gonna need to be able to be clear with yourself and with others at work, but is anyone gonna die? Are you going to wreck any chance of a career (I gather you're a youngster so that's bloody unlikely)? Is it not more important that you're happy?

In the end I left. I thought it would kill me but there's a whole world of stuff out there. I changed career slightly and although I still struggle cause of my damn health problems, I'm at a place which appreciates me and with people I can talk to (about games usually!) .

Hope that helps a bit.

Dr Sploat Riviera

theaface

I despise PS+. I hate the idea of having to continue to pay a subscription to get access to games, and missing out on games on lapsed subscriptions.

It should be a service not unlike Netflix, but for games

I'd argue that it almost is like Netflix now. Alright you don't have constant access to a huge library of titles all at once, but the longer you're a member, you actually do build it up. Early adopters are rewarded with a bigger library than newer ones.

I can't see what's to despise, to be honest. The value proposition is consistently astonishingly high, so there's little to no reason to allow a subscription to lapse for long enough that you'd miss a monthly title in the IGC.

It simply wouldn't make business sense for publishers to make their games free all of the time - a lot of them do it for a month as a means to raise interest in DLC or a sequel. It's a model that works.

What you're asking for sounds far more akin to what PS Now might end up being.

SKINNER!

Banned
Sorry buddy, no dice!

Aww gutted! No worries man :) Cheers

I third this (I knew smoky would say something!) .

I've had both and for me the Vita is just perfect. In fact, it was that little super oval that got me back into gaming. Remote play is grand too, although I've not found a decent enough Wi-Fi in the cafes near my work to test it outside of our flat.

The 3DS isn't rubbish though. I just wasn't really into the Nintendo IPs and for some reason the lack of trophies really put me off.

Thanks everyone. I did have a PSP last gen and thoroughly used it in comparion to the DS. Just looking into the PS Vita library (Only one I really want to play is Uncharted) to see if there's anything on it that tickles my fancy. Don't think I'll be interested in subscribing for PS+...well, maybe not until I pick up a PS4.

There's only one model at the mo in the UK. You could import a fancy new one from Asia. They're lighter, have a tiny bit of internal save memory and have different colour choices but the screen's not quite as purdy.

This somewhat explains why I constantly saw western tourists buy Vitas when I was in Akiba. Maybe because it was cheaper there too..unsure but stayed away since I wasn't sure at the time if it was region free. There were far too many occasions there where I was like "Ooooh I'd like that! oh wait, I forgot I can't read Japanese"

jimbor

Banned

Camden and Covent Garden are the very epitome of touristy but they're still cool to mooch around.

The 4 best places to eat in by Camden Market are Yum Cha (half price Dim Sum Monday - Wednesday), Honest Burger, Byron's Hamburger and The Diner. The last three are small chains but are decent enough, Honest pipping Byron with a better burger and better value combo.

There's also a place called Chin Chin Labs which makes ice cream in front of you by freezing the mix with liquid nitrogen so it freezes instantly. Very tasty and gimmicky fun to watch. In the Camden Market west Yard is where you'll find the better food stalls if you don't fancy eating in. Peruvian, Turkish, Polish, Russian, Ethiopian, Argentinian and many more different types of cuisine are available.

If you do end up going to the British Museum and find yourself peckish after, Chilli Cool is a less than 15 minute walk away and is great if you like spicy Szechuan food.

That's a few quickies off the top of my head, if you'd like to know more, let me know what you're interested in.

Son Of D

Re: 3DS/Vita. You can't go wrong with either to be honest, both are good investments. From my experiences I've used my 3DS more for the first party games whereas my Vita was used mostly for PS1 games on the go with the occasional first party game. My Vita broke right before Tearaway came out, which annoyed me a lot.

Excellent advice from sploat, and something which I think we can all benefit from reading.

To add to it I just wanted to repeat what someone once told me at my last job where I was completely miserable.

Your job is never worth you getting upset over. In the grand scheme of things, what you do isn't really that important. You're not delivering babies, or saving lives, or putting out fires. So if you do something wrong the world isn't going to end.

Obviously this doesn't apply if indeed you are delivering babies, saving lives or putting out fires. Or saving the world. Or the cheerleader.

Mikeside

Vita and 3DS XL are both great systems with so many games.

I think the 3DS has a stronger future for original titles, but Vita has remote play and PS Now going for it. Tough choice!

SteveWD40

I love the Vita but it's future is fucking shaky, Sony's financial position alone is reason enough for concern but unless they figure out how to market it among kids they are toast.

You can't compete with Pokemon unless you somehow educate kids that it's version of Minecraft is the Xbox version and not the crappy pocket edition, bundle the new model in all the colours with Minecraft for £129.

Boom, Vita saved in the West, send consultancy fee to my paypal please Sony (don't trust your bouncy cheques).

Funny thing is, the ideal market for Vita's is dads: instant sleep / wake / pause, portable, pretty cheap, can play while wife watches Storage Hunters...

Sorry, most of my London tips involve drinking

Well I stopped :(

Yeah, Prince Charles Cinema always has some great classics showing. In fact, Leicester Square is pretty good hanging out spot. There's an M&M chocolate store there that's great for a browse. If you can get a ticket then check out a play or musical.Plenty of choice. Stand-up comedy man! There's always tickets for a small comedy gig. Namco Station if you're into arcade video games. Gaming bar "Loading" is worth seeing. Lovely atmosphere, friendly people and surely they can whip up some tasty alcohol-free cocktails for you and your friends while you play some awesome retro console games. Hamley's Toy store if you're into that or just looking to kill time. Go see the HMS Belfast if you're into warships. Huge IMAX Screen at the BFI IMAX theatre. Quite a nice looking building too. British Museum from the inside is lovely too. London Eye. You get some amazing middle eastern cuisine at Edgware road. If you or her are obsessed with Sherlock then stop by at Baker Street. If she's into shopping then stop by at Harrods. Apart from going to see the normal touristy bits like Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Madame Tussauds etc. just go for a random wander around the city and chances are you'll bump into something worth checking out. That's the best way to experience London I found. In fact, that's how I came across the Borough Market. Go there too.

For extraordinarily quirky architecture and collections, try the Sir John Soanes Museum in Lincolns Inn Fields. One of those places that sticks in the mind for years afterwards.

Thanks guys, I'll check those out :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now I've not played Minecraft myself but I thought part of the appeal was the mods. Wouldn't that mean PC is still the only ideal platform for it?

afoni

Banned
I just realised how similar to someone I know Rachel Riley looks. Interesting.

In fact, can this thread just be Rachel Riley general chat?

Symphonia

Banned
Now I've not played Minecraft myself but I thought part of the appeal was the mods. Wouldn't that mean PC is still the only ideal platform for it?
In terms of 'sit down and play' PS3 and Xbox have PC beat.

In terms of features, PC is king.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Been posting in a rape thread, prob not the best idea. If I go on holiday you know where I went!

afoni said:
I just realised how similar to someone I know Rachel Riley looks. Interesting.

In fact, can this thread just be Rachel Riley general chat?

yes pls. pics too

8bit

Knows the Score
Still haven't set up Remote Play on my Vita, is it worthwhile bothering with on a PS3? I've been playing Lumines mostly on the tram but if I could be assaulting boats in ACIV instead I might need to try that instead.

Been posting in a rape thread, prob not the best idea.

Are you talking about the moany old sock worshipping curmudgeon beardo in the comics thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom