• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British vs American flag: which one is the bigger symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nz%5Epolic.gif

Inception?

adamc01

Banned
I say British flag it looks lot better to me not because I'm British but it just looks better for a design point of view
london-olympic-british-flag-men-s-v-neck-t-shirt-d53f.jpg
tumblr_mo5grig5SC1s7st7do1_500.jpg

but I don't know I like both.

original.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
If you look at history overall its def the UK. Great Britain ruled the world. It isnt even close.

Over the past 50 years though... US by miles. It isnt even close. The US may not rule the world like the UK once did, but it is THE superpower.

Higgy

As an American the British flag has always been cool. Maybe because my love of classic rock music, just the staggering amount of legends to originate from there. The last Olympics my younger wife kept saying during the ceremony, "They're from the UK to?" So much music. Better then the US.

Log4Girlz

As an American the British flag has always been cool. Maybe because my love of classic rock music, just the staggering amount of legends to originate from there. The last Olympics my younger wife kept saying during the ceremony, "They're from the UK to?" So much music. Better then the US.

I'll always envy their invention of rock and roll.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
America invented Rock and Roll, Britain revolutionised it.

But hey, off topic. Both flags are good but I like the symmetry of ours. If it matters, I much prefer the US national anthem ;)

I agree that the UK flag > US flag, but the US anthem > UK anthem. That said, UK flag is an awesome flag, top tier, whereas US anthem is just soso, the UK anthem is just unfortunately even worse. Just so bad.

Both nations get the beat-down put on them by Nepal, though. Killer flag and national anthem. Feels like cheating.

Acorn

Its wrong but because our Flag has been co opted by far right wing nutjobs, I have grown to hate the union jack.

Also doesn't help that Rangers fans wave it.

I can't hear you from down there, get promoted another few times so I can hear you!

I'm sure you could have a visit sometime once you get bored strolling the SPL again and again.

I actually do like the design of the US flag, but it doesn't really have the 'cool' factor the UK one does. Also, nobody really likes America apart from Americans from the south so :p

British with the X is really attention grabbing.

The US with the stars top left and horizontal stripes excels when it is up the flag pole and waving.

I agree that the UK flag > US flag, but the US anthem > UK anthem. That said, UK flag is an awesome flag, top tier, whereas US anthem is just soso, the UK anthem is just unfortunately even worse. Just so bad.

Both nations get the beat-down put on them by Nepal, though. Killer flag and national anthem. Feels like cheating.

Its annoying that we persist with God Save The Queen when Jerusalem is a far, far better anthem and has been lying in wait for decades on end.

One glorifes the Royal Family, the other glorifies Christianity, so they're equally poor in the sense of having agreeable lyrics. One is a good tune though, and the other is a warbling pile of shite.

Jacob

The British flag is much more adaptable to non-flag products (in part because it's mostly symmetrical and more visually distinctive), so I'd say it's a better fashion symbol. I haven't traveled enough to compare its global reach to the American flag, though.

hidys

The Union Jack always elicited a greater response with me, because the first thought I have is why the fuck is it still on the top corner of my flag.

Vyroxis

Banned
Union Jack is great for fashion and a symbol of standing up and doing the best you can.

Stars and Stripes is good for a symbol of freedom and fighting (sometimes dying) so others may live.

RedShift

Its annoying that we persist with God Save The Queen when Jerusalem is a far, far better anthem and has been lying in wait for decades on end.

One glorifes the Royal Family, the other glorifies Christianity, so they're equally poor in the sense of having agreeable lyrics. One is a good tune though, and the other is a warbling pile of shite.
Isn't Jerusalem pretty specifically about England though? Maybe if the Scots leave.

Timbuktu

America, of course. Seems like an obvious answer.

The UK flag was the bigger symbol a couple of hundreds of years ago.

I would say a hundred at most. And America i feel is more represented around the world by the McDonalds, Nike and Starbucks logos than the actual flag.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I'm okay with Jerusalem, but I think a far better national anthem would be I Vow to Thee My Country.

America, of course. Seems like an obvious answer.

The UK flag was the bigger symbol a couple of hundreds of years ago.

Less than 100 even. This was the British Empire post WWI:

elt2007112810474633804zjjw.png

Was mostly the same until after WWII (Irish independence being the major change from that map that comes to mind).

Less than 100 even. This was the British Empire post WWI:

elt2007112810474633804zjjw.png

Was mostly the same until after WWII (Irish independence being the major change from that map that comes to mind).

Cape to Cairo is one of the most hilariously ballsy endeavours in history. If Cecil Rhodes was a an EUIII/Vicky player he'd get laughed at on the paradox forums for that batshit insane map painting. Double the lulz for the aspergian zeal that afflicted british colonial planners. "must...connect...the...territory"

Despite references to Jesus and his alleged trip to England jeruselum is more about glorifying england than it is glorifying christianity, personally id rather we had land of hope and glory

You don't see people burning the Union Jack. That's all you need to say for the symbology argument.

Union Jack is probably more fashionable outside of bikinis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom