• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British vs American flag: which one is the bigger symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is St. Patrick's Cross crooked in the Union Flag?

They couldn't just have a Ireland's red cross on white as it would make Scotland's flag invisible, so they had to counterchange them. (the top left is Ireland on the left, Scotland on the right, and so on.)

Scotland appears "above" Ireland on the left of the flag as it was higher in the kingdom pecking order.

This might explain it better:

counter.jpg

You can acually fly it upside down. This is incorrect:

500px-Upside_down_Union_Flag_on_staff_%28hoist_left%29.svg.png

Fritz

Nah it doesn't, or at least not always. The thick white line should be on top at the upper left, flip it vertically or horizontally and the thin white line will be.

That's what en.wikipedia says too. Funny enough German wikipedia gives this explanation:

The asymmetry of the Union Jack comes from the fact that the Scottish St. Andrew's cross and the Irish St. Patrick's Cross had to be equally "side by side". Heraldy accomplishes this by not centering one cross above the other but "misaligning" them against each other. The English St. George's Cross, for example, is located in the center on top of the other crosses which symbolizes the dominance of England over the countries of Scotland and Ireland.

Sorry for the crude translation. There is some heraldic vocabulary that just doesn't translate well.

It's probably a mixture of all those reasons.

You can also see it in England's medieval royal banner:

gb-1399.gif

France is placed at the top as they considered it their most important kingdom (even though they only held bits of it).

Maledict

In terms of a *fashion* symbol as the original post was wondering - without question it's the British flag. Successive designers have been using the Union Jack in fashion design since the 60s, and its become an accepted design piece across the world. You can find outfits, bags, t-shirts and other items with the union jack on it on every continent - its a recognised design pattern. The USA flag on the other hand generally isn't worn as part of fashion outside the USA and even there it often high 'ironic' overtones.

In terms of overall symbolism and imagery, obviously the USA flag is the bigger symbol right now and would be the most recognised world wide out of any flag (although I wouldn't suggest it would be seen as a 'symbol' in a lot of places, its certainly the most recognisable flag on the planet). But if we are talking purely fashion it's not even a question really - the USA flag isn't really used in that way.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I can tell you that an American flag bikini doesn't do anything for me but a Union Jack bikini will get me hard in a heartbeat.

I like both stories behind the flags. US-flag representing the former first colonies and states and the UK-flag representing the different parts of Great Britian by including them into one.

Subitai

As an American, I'd say Union Jack if only because the stars keep changing in the stars 'n stripes.

Official US Flag July 3rd, 1960

flag_49_ike_small.jpg

Vyrance

As an American, the British flag looks better.

Also, once Puerto Rico becomes a state down the road, we'll have to change up the flag again.

Orbis

I lived in Wales for a year (and lived to tell the tale!) and they REALLY love their flag. Fair play to them, though. They've got a dragon.

There wasn't room on the Union Flag for that much badassery!
If Scotland do end up leaving the UK, I hope we get a new flag complete with dragon. We'd also need to ditch the blue of course.

Wales isn't represented because it was part of the Kingdom of England when the flag was created. It has its own parliament now so maybe they should have another look. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Scotland gains independence.

Wales isn't represented because it was part of the Kingdom of England when the flag was created. It has its own parliament now so maybe they should have another look. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Scotland gains independence.

I can't see anything happening, and the argument will be, Why spend money changing the flag when we can just keep it the same?

I can't see anything happening, and the argument will be, Why spend money changing the flag when we can just keep it the same?

Oh I can see that happening for sure. Countries change flags though, and how many stamps , coins, letterheads and tourist tat will need to be changed when the Queen dies?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Wales was to be represented on the Union Jack, it wouldn't be via Y Ddraig Goch. The three flags which the Union Jack is currently composed of are the saint's banners, rather than the royal standards such as Y Drraig Goch. Wales' patron saint was Dewi Sant, and his flag was the Baner Dewi Sant, which looks like this:

200px-Flag_of_Saint_David.svg.png

So you'd have to fit that in somewhere. Be difficult without making the Union Jack rather messy. If Scotland leaves and Wales was incorporated, though, you'd end up with this:

0GJE0OL.png

Which I think is pretty damn awesome.

velociraptor

I'm a Brit and I think the US flag is perhaps the best looking flag in the world. However, those who tend to brand the US flag everywhere tend to be racist rednecks.

It does bother me than flag bearers in general tend to be racists.

akira28

Historically speaking, the Brits have probably screwed over more people...though...if we're going by sheer volume, modern age America might actually have them beat. Hrm..

But the history of both flags are pretty interesting. Britains being an act of assholery, and America's an act of...well I am biased, I'll admit it. But I think America's flag has the Jack beat. I think, globally, the Union Jack was probably more of a sign of fear, and America's a sign of resentment and/or expectation.

As a fashion statement, depends on who you're looking at. Designers like to ironically include the Jack, but then we'll see a thong made out of classic stars and stripes which is just simple patterning. So the Jack is better fashion, but the stars and strips are more useful, unless you're going for the specific ' complete American flag' look, in which case you might not see it as much.

(I think Australia's flag is prettier though)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If Wales was to be represented on the Union Jack, it wouldn't be via Y Ddraig Goch. The three flags which the Union Jack is currently composed of are the saint's banners, rather than the royal standards such as Y Drraig Goch. Wales' patron saint was Dewi Sant, and his flag was the Baner Dewi Sant, which looks like this:

200px-Flag_of_Saint_David.svg.png

So you'd have to fit that in somewhere. Be difficult without making the Union Jack rather messy. If Scotland leaves and Wales was incorporated, though, you'd end up with this:

0GJE0OL.png

Which I think is pretty damn awesome.

I think it looks like the flag of a fascist state.

Historically speaking, the Brits have probably screwed over more people...though...if we're going by sheer volume, modern age America might actually have them beat. Hrm..

But the history of both flags are pretty interesting. Britains being an act of assholery, and America's an act of...well I am biased, I'll admit it. But I think America's flag has the Jack beat. I think, globally, the Union Jack was probably more of a sign of fear, and America's a sign of resentment and/or expectation.

As a fashion statement, depends on who you're looking at. Designers like to ironically include the Jack, but then we'll see a thong made out of classic stars and stripes which is just simple patterning. So the Jack is better fashion, but the stars and strips are more useful, unless you're going for the specific ' complete American flag' look, in which case you might not see it as much.

(I think Australia's flag is prettier though)

You don't get to the top without stepping on a few toes, unfortunately :p

The Templars are the coolest-looking historical militia.

you mean what did england ever do to scotland and ireland?

What's that got to do with a flag?

You do realise it was a Scot who ordered and approved the Union Flag right? No one liked it at first, not the English because of the blue, and not the Scottish because of the red.

It actually went out of favour for years before it started being used again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all be sorry for criticizing that badassery when the Glorious Welsh Legions re-establish the Neobritish Empire.

GeoGonzo

To me the US flag has always been a more prevalent symbol, so that one I guess. I like the Union Jack's design better, though.

Also, I think that using a flag design on anything other than a flag pretty much always looks terrible.

Myshoe

Banned
Wales are pretty good at Rugby at the moment as well, they seem to be going through a bit of a sporting golden age what with Cardiff/Swansea in the Premier League as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom