• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Build a SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Bundle' Up to 20 games for USD 4.99!

Hell of a deal. There are some true bangers on that list.

2-4 were Genesis games. 1 was a Master System title. It's never included.

Phantasy Star 1 was actually released on the Sega Mega Drive in Japan, but it was just the Master System ROM on a Mega Drive cartridge. So it had no enhancements, and just used the Z80 in the Genesis to run the game through backwards compatibility.

ps1mega.jpg

I would love to see a collection of Master Systems games, though.

Athreous

Any Sega Genesis game? or just a few titles?

I can't open the site right now =( even proxies are blocked in my work =p

Are these good ports?

They're emulated Genesis ROMs, not ports.

The emulator has its ups and downs, but is being updated with improvements, which helps.

It also has full Steam Workshop support for modding the ROMs, so you can access translations, alternate versions, and hacks right in the interface.

This is about as cheap as you're going to be able to "officially" buy licenses to these games.

Piano

Banned
So which of these aren't actually good games?

Columns
Columns III (I presume, haven't played it)

What else?

I was hoping for Fantasy Zone, but I can't complain too much.

EDIT: And I can't believe that they're just giving away games like Dynamite Headdy, Shining Force II, and Gunstar Heroes for mere pennies. This deal is bananas.

baconcow

Does anyone happen to want to split a 10-pack 60/40%? I only need six games of the 10 (Sonic 1, Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3D Blast, Toe Jame & Earl 1&2, and Dr. Robotnik's MBM) and could get any 4 other games.

If I could only get one Echo the Dolphin, one Golden Axe, and one Phantasy Star, which ones should i get?

I don't know about Ecco or Golden Axe, but you can't go wrong with Phantasy Star IV. Many consider it the best in the series. 2 is also great, but the dungeons will make you want to tear our hair out. I'd go with IV.

Z..

How do you download new games into the app? I bought 20 new ones and still I only see the old ones installed. How can I install the new ones?

If I could only get one Echo the Dolphin, one Golden Axe, and one Phantasy Star, which ones should i get?

Ecco 1, Phantasy Star IV, no idea about Golden Axe. Hardcore Gaming 101 has an article comparing and describing them. I know GE1 is regarded as not the best port, maybe GE2, which was made for the Genesis directly, would be your best bet.

How do you download new games into the app? I bought 20 new ones and still I only see the old ones installed. How can I install the new ones?

Go to the Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics entry in your Steam Library, and make sure all the games you bought are checked in the "DLC" box.

Yukinari

They're emulated Genesis ROMs, not ports.

The emulator has its ups and downs, but is being updated with improvements, which helps.

It also has full Steam Workshop support for modding the ROMs, so you can access translations, alternate versions, and hacks right in the interface.

This is about as cheap as you're going to be able to "officially" buy licenses to these games.

Lets me honest the workshop exists so i can play Battletoads, Moonwalker and Stimpy's Invention just by owning Streets of Rage 2.

Lets me honest the workshop exists so i can play Battletoads, Moonwalker and Stimpy's Invention just by owning Streets of Rage 2.

No, the Workshop exists so you can play fun mods of Sonic games and better versions of existing titles, like 60hz Alien Soldier. Uploads of full games generally get slapped down pretty quickly, and are against the spirit of the inclusion.

gelf

I would say Golden Axe 2, though I might be an outlier with that opinion. I just think it feels smoother to play. Just whatever you do avoid GA3.

Yukinari

No, the Workshop exists so you can play fun mods of Sonic games and better versions of existing titles, like 60hz Alien Soldier. Uploads of full games generally get slapped down pretty quickly, and are against the spirit of the inclusion.

I mean theres not a lot of noteworthy mods, and if there are theyre swamped by roms and god mode hacks because those are generally more popular.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Weren't all these a part of those collections Amazon was selling years ago?

Yes, but being able to essentially pick your own collection, makes this the better deal. I could do without a lot of games on some collections, but would purchase anyway simply for one or two particular games.

dogen

I would say Golden Axe 2, though I might be an outlier with that opinion. I just think it feels smoother to play. Just whatever you do avoid GA3.

That's disappointing that 3 isn't that good. I recently discovered it's awesome music, but I've never actually played it.

That's disappointing that 3 isn't that good. I recently discovered it's awesome music, but I've never actually played it.

I want to say that GA3 only gets a bad rap because it came out some time after Revenge of Death Adder, yet somehow manages to look worse than the first two Genesis games.

But no, GA3 is just plain bad.

RoDA has a number of issues, but at least it's satisfying to play. GA3 feels really dated, and combat is a chore.

As for Ecco and Phantasy Star. I would say that either Ecco is worth grabbing. They're equally good (and equally frustrating as hell).
Phantasy Star? Go with IV, then II, then III only if you're reeeeeaaaaaaally curious.

PSIV is the easiest entry to get into. The story is decent enough, there are plenty of characters, and the numerous boss battles are all quite good.
PSII is great if you're a fan of dungeon-crawlers. However, I'd recommend a mod that doubles the walking speed and exp/meseta gains. The early game is a massively painful grind, but once you get the Snow crown and a few other choice items (amber robe, truth sleeves, etc), it gets to be almost too easy.

Like Final Fantasy 1, PSII has a handful of unlimited use items that kinda break the game. The Snow Crown casts a party-wide defense buff that drops the damage by half or even 3/4s. Some of the other items cast a mid-tier healing spell. As long as you don't run into enemies that constantly spam party-wide attacks or do more than 60 points of damage a round, you're practically invincible.

Dude. Get Comix Zone. The combat is awesome.

I was about to pick it, had it selected for a long time, but back then I liked the idea more than the game itself. Might get a 5 bundle with a few others, though.

Not too thrilled about having to register all 20 Steam keys one by one on Steam's fucking archaic, three step UI, though. :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Shining Force 1 all of the sudden disappeared from the store. I was planning on giving the Shining games to a friend but I guess I'll pass on that now.

I decided to go in and get a 10 pack of these games, they're just too cheap and I really like the front-end on Steam. I already had most of the heavy hitters like the Phantasy Star games, Beyond Oasis, and Alien Soldier on Steam and/or Wii VC (along with Sega 3D Classics versions of Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi, and Streets of Rage 2), so I filled out my collection a bit with Ecco, Sonic 3/Knuckles, Sonic CD, Eternal Champions, Landstalker, Ristar, Comix Zone, Columns 3, Shining in the Darkness, and Kid Chameleon.

brainpann

I went all in and picked up 20 from the bundle. Unfortunately, the games run like crap on my i5 laptop. Was going to try them out on my main rig later but part of the reason I purchased them was to run on my laptop. Anyone getting horrible framerate and lag in the games? The hub area fine, however.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I went all in and picked up 20 from the bundle. Unfortunately, the games run like crap on my i5 laptop. Was going to try them out on my main rig later but part of the reason I purchased them was to run on my laptop. Anyone getting horrible framerate and lag in the games? The hub area fine, however.

Did you try running them through the "simple launcher" you can select when starting the application?
You could also just use the ROMs in a different emulator.

sibarraz

Banned
I only miss the toejam & earl games (who are never under a good sale) and I don't have money, so I guess that I had to pass

sibarraz

Banned
Are any of the Phantasy Star games here worth playing for the first time for reasons beyond historical curiosity?

Phantasy Star II has an entertaining story, godlike music and a good dificulty.

Sadly, the dungeons are badly designed (they are really confusing and the art is similar, so is easy to get lost) but you should give it a try

4 is the one that has aged the best.

3 has the best music from the series, but the game feels "there"

Qwark

So if I already have the SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics bundle, does that already include all of these? Or have they added additional games that I might be able to buy? It looks like they're mostly the same games.

So if I already have the SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics bundle, does that already include all of these? Or have they added additional games that I might be able to buy? It looks like they're mostly the same games.

You probably don't have the Sonics (S1, S2, S3&K, Spinball, 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine) and the two Toejam & Earl games.

Sonic CD is also technically not part of the Genesis Classics system, but a separate Steam game.

baconcow

You probably don't have the Sonics (S1, S2, S3&K, Spinball, 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine) and the two Toejam & Earl games.

Sonic CD is also technically not part of the Genesis Classics system, but a separate Steam game.

This Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics collection appears to be the best collection to compare against. It also includes Sonic CD. If you have this collection, it includes all of the ones from the BundleStars bundle, including the Sonic and Toejam & Earl games.

Qwark

This Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics collection appears to be the best collection to compare against. It also includes Sonic CD. If you have this collection, it includes all of the ones from the BundleStars bundle, including the Sonic and Toejam & Earl games.

Thanks guys, I thought I was missing Sonic CD at first but I see it now as a separate library entry. Looks like I'm covered here then, great deal for others though.

Top Bottom