• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 is 30 FPS on consoles, even the PS4 Pro (CPU limits)

Behlel

Bungie should just code to the metal.
Go teach them how to do their work if you're so skilled.
It's always easy to talk without knowing nothing how about thing work, what is processed on the background and the kind of task that is done by the CPU etc.
If a dev say that those CPU aren't powerfull enough for their code it's true, stop with those nonsense.

Raide

We sure about this? I could've sworn I read many times it was an off the shelf toaster CPU as opposed to an elegant custom handcrafted CPU(Scorpio).

You are mistaken. It was 8x GameCubes duck-taped together, not a pathetic toaster engine.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Lol come on Kaako
I mean sure we can settle for reality and some common sense, but where would be the fun in that? :)
We must reach for the stars and in doing so, inspire these very developers and hardware engineers to do the same. Reach as high as we dream.

You are mistaken. It was 8x GameCubes duck-taped together, not a pathetic toaster engine.
Ah, appologies and thanks for the correction. 8x GCs duck-taped sounds much more enticing lol.

Raide

I mean sure we can settle for reality and some common sense, but where would be the fun in that? :)
We must reach for the stars and in doing so, inspire these very developers and hardware engineers to do the same. Reach as high as we dream.

If we can convince them to stop being lazy, maybe we can finally evolve this gaming medium!

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

😊

void666

Banned
It's always easy to talk without knowing nothing how about thing work, what is processed on the background and the kind of task that is done by the CPU etc.
If a dev say that those CPU aren't powerfull enough for their code it's true, stop with those nonsense.

Calm down dude. I was just kidding.
Being ironic actually. I agree with you.
Too many "devs" in here who thinks making games is easy.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
If we can convince them to stop being lazy, maybe we can finally evolve this gaming medium!
Brings us to an excellent point. Is the quality of work of video game developers entirely dependent on the quality of their fans? Yes. Let us answer with a resounding yes.

To make a game run at 60fps on a console they need to develop around that. IE Battlefield 1, Battlefront.

The Jaguar CPU is weak but they could of dialed some stuff back to achieve 60 fps.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Haha seriously though, this E3 will be heaven for Destiny fans since it'll be everywhere and in different conferences. Here's hoping we get some direct feed 60fps PC footage; even offscreen footage looked good on a gsync monitor.

I've no issues with it being 30FPS personally.

The game felt good for being 30FPS imo. There's other things that i'd class as more important when looking at Destiny on its own merit, such as the net code/P2P vs dedicated.

Oh and 4v4 PvP only. Seems like a bad idea to me personally. I loved 6v6 Control matches.

Go on Matt .... :D

the customisation stuff is not on the core itself, but rather the communication between the cores and caches, gpu and cpu etc.

no way they made a different jaguar core
They did some custom modifications on the core itself, to reduce the overhead from virtualization.

They also have improved the content processors so more tasks are moved away from the cpu, so it's likely there's a larger cpu time available to games on Scorpio than just what the overclock would. How much more being the question.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Haha seriously though, this E3 will be heaven for Destiny fans since it'll be everywhere and in different conferences. Here's hoping we get some direct feed 60fps PC footage; even offscreen footage looked good on a gsync monitor.

I don't think it will be at the Microsoft conference.

I don't think it will be at the Microsoft conference.

I bet it and COD get a quick throw away line. Thats what normally happens with these games and their marketing deals.

So at some point Phil goes "the biggest games of the holidays will be taking full advantage of Scorpio such as COD WW2 and Destiny 2" and a bunch of other games.

Destiny 2 aint gonna be 60 though. Not with a "enhanced jaguar" or whatever they where calling it.

An actual AAA PS4X1 engine or the Supercell mobile stuff? Plus I'm guessing Bungie devs are crunching while we're arguing on GAF or playing Overwatch.

An "actual" AAA engine :p

and im saying they are cruncing on different things. 60fps isn't their target. They could do it, surely, if they wanted to.

Disker

There are games that are just as good looking or even better and have 1080p 60fps modes.
And Destiny 2 looks good, but it's a slight bump compared to 1 imo, it's not something to write home about.

Also they wouldn't want 60fps players vs 30fps players on consoles (think this is the reason).

Look at Titanfall 2, great looking game, insane amount of effects, and it's 60fps even in full 1440p. Yes it's not open world i know, but there is a heck of a lot more going on than in a 4vs4 Destiny 2 match.

Also i hope the PRO version is more than just a 4k upgrade....... Give me some different GFX modes like many good developers do lately.

This is just my opinion, i have no background in developing at all, it's just my simple view.

Yeah, my best guess is that the CPU has to do a LOT of number crunching because the game is P2P, meaning that your PS4 essentially has to be the server host for all other players in your instance.

Normally, in a dedicated server setup, these kinds of physics calculations for player position, velocity, interactions, etc would be offloaded to the server (or, I guess, offloaded to each client, with the server coordinating everything), but with the recent interview highlighting that this is not the case, I think that it's certainly possible that this aspect of the game results in a CPU bottleneck. It's probably also the reason why the game modes may be limited to 4v4, since computational complexity would scale linearly with the number of players in an instance.

Edit: Scorpio may have the CPU power to deliver better framerates, but I think that's a moot point, as company politics/marketing deals will probably result in all console versions of the game locked to 30fps.
The problem isn't the CPU- its how the CPU is being used. It's 2017, and we are discussing what is sure to be one of the biggest online games on console- yet it uses a p2p networking solution.

This is a waste of CPU resources, and likely explains why they can't hit 60fps, despite having less demanding physics and AI simulations than other games on the market.

They are handling things on the box that should be handled by the server.
UC4 MP runs at 60 fps on OG PS4 and it's a 5v5 PvP p2p game with NPCs (sidekicks) as well.

Honestly, I don't expect Destiny 2 PvP to have a high tick rate either, so p2p netcode shouldn't be much of an issue...

Horp

Destiny's tempo is absolutely fine for 30fps. I've never known a console game get as many comments from PC players about how "good the 30fps feels here" (anecdotal, so take as you will).

I like that 80% of your defence posts use the word "fine". Like, everythings fine, everythings juuuust fine.
What the fuck does "tempo fine for 30fps" mean?? You realize that the reason tons and tons, and tons of people are already complaining about this is because they don't think it's "fine"?
Just one raid isn't fine. It isn't necessarily horrible, but isn't fine.
Showing of the same enemies that were in D1 in your main reveal that you use to build up initial hype isn't fine. It's either telling of a very samey game, or it's incredibly stupid. But it sure as hell isn't fine.

Things aren't fine, and that's why there are all these threads with people being close to outraged about the state of affairs. And no, not only the haters, far from it; even the hardcore D1 players with thousands of hours.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I bet it and COD get a quick throw away line. Thats what normally happens with these games and their marketing deals.

So at some point Phil goes "the biggest games of the holidays will be taking full advantage of Scorpio such as COD WW2 and Destiny 2" and a bunch of other games.

Yeah, exactly. It will get a showcase at Sony but not at MS, aside from a mention.

All they have to do is change the "FPS=60" line in the destiny settings.ini and lower the resolution. Lazy devs.

KageMaru

Go on Matt .... :D

I think what he means is that at it's core it's still just a modified Jaguar CPU. It might be more modified than any other version of Jaguar seen in a console but at the end of the day it's still based on the Jaguar architecture and will have similar limitations to other chips based on the architecture.

Zakalwe

Banned
I like that 80% of your defence posts use the word "fine". Like, everythings fine, everythings juuuust fine.
What the fuck does "tempo fine for 30fps" mean?? You realize that the reason tons and tons, and tons of people are already complaining about this is because they don't think it's "fine"?
Just one raid isn't fine. It isn't necessarily horrible, but isn't fine.
Showing of the same enemies that were in D1 in your main reveal that you use to build up initial hype isn't fine. It's either telling of a very samey game, or it's incredibly stupid. But it sure as hell isn't fine.

Things aren't fine, and that's why there are all these threads with people being close to outraged about the state of affairs. And no, not only the haters, far from it; even the hardcore D1 players with thousands of hours.

I think it is fine though, because it matches my expectations.

*shrugs*

Jimmy_liv

This.
I'm absolutely certain that if they could get it running at 60fps then they would.

It does like very similar to D1 thou :)

Horp

I think it is fine though, because it matches my expectations.

*shrugs*

So someone states something they are concerned about, and gives arguments why that is a problem. You counter their argument by stating it's acutally fine; but what you mean is that you personally are just fine with stuff being the way they are. How odd.

kosmologi

Do you know that BF1's engine got adapted for a cinematic RPG-shooter which is Mass Effect Andromeda? Performance became sub-30fps with stutter on consoles.

This comparison is bad because a) ME:A clearly wasn't finished on launch, b) it's not their own engine (less experience using it), c) it's not the same genre as Destiny or BF.

Raide

Saying they cant get it running at 1080/60fps on pro/scorpio is a joke

I am sure they could easily. Damn, they could go 1080p with all manner of effects for IQ etc and maintain 60fps. They are choosing not to, for whatever reason.

Fiber

We should be face the truth.

The PS4 and Xbox One, came out with really really. shitty cpu (especially), and gpu.
This is riddiculous.

Zakalwe

Banned
So someone states something they are concerned about, and gives arguments why that is a problem. You counter their argument by stating it's acutally fine; but what you mean is that you personally are just fine with stuff being the way they are. How odd.

Yeh, I was actually trying to allay some concerns by relaying my experience. I was also offering it as a counter for the overall thread. 60fps is wonderful, but Destiny feels really good even at 30fps (at least the first game did, and reports from those who played 2 say it's the same) so I hope people don't write it off before trying.

Raide

The PS4 and Xbox One, came out with really really. shitty cpu (especially), and gpu.
This is riddiculous.

Yep but Bungie are obviously leaving power on the table by keeping the Pro and Scorpio hamstrung by having to keep parity with the older systems. Will they use it in other ways to improve the IQ? I hope they do but I am not holding my breath.

Trup1aya

UC4 MP runs at 60 fps on OG PS4 and it's a 5v5 PvP p2p game with NPCs (sidekicks) as well.

Honestly, I don't expect Destiny 2 PvP to have a high tick rate either, so p2p netcode shouldn't be much of an issue...

Perhaps it shouldn't be... but Bungie is the one who claims that AI and physics is what binds the CPU- something that wouldn't be an issue with dedi's.

Tagyhag

This is riddiculous.

I think someone can agree to that and also agree that there's no technical reason for Destiny 2's PvP to be 30fps.

And it really sucks that they haven't been grilled on it.

Costia

Yep but Bungie are obviously leaving power on the table by keeping the Pro and Scorpio hamstrung by having to keep parity with the older systems. Will they use it in other ways to improve the IQ? I hope they do but I am not holding my breath.
The pro and scorpio use the same CPU.
You expect x2 the performance from a 30% faster CPU? Ok...

Raide

The pro and scorpio use the same CPU.
You expect x2 the performance from a 30% faster CPU? Ok...

Oh shit, I forgot everything in games was done by the same shitty CPU. *slaps forehead* MS might as well scrap Scorpio if its just the same stuff in a different shell!

Costia

Oh shit, I forgot everything in games was done by the same shitty CPU. *slaps forehead* MS might as well scrap Scorpio if its just the same stuff in a different shell!
Looks like you forgot to read OP. It specifically says its limited by CPU.
And a strawman, great... Its so fun having discussions with people like you.
Scorpio has ~x5 power of the GPU of the XB1.
But only x1.3 CPU, which is the limiting factor here.
You can slap your forehead all you want. It still wont change the scorpio CPU.

Who says destiny on PS4 was at peak performance? The weaker XBO matched its resolution and frame rate.
XB1 has a slightly faster CPU than the PS4.

Top Bottom