• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

Xater said:
It is and I am only suprised that Activision went for it. The only other time I can remeber them doing that was with id Software.
Yup and that deal kinda screwed them as wolfenstein, doom 3 and quake 4 all under performed.

So will the next early beta be called "friends, family and that rich asshole uncle we don't talk about

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Reading the thread backwards to catch up is a laugh, especially those thinking that some posts in here are meltdowns - you haven't seen meltdowns on GAF if you think any post in here is a meltdown... :lol

Acosta said:
They are not, for 10 years.

ChefRamsay said:
I guess Bungie is happy making Halo for the rest of their career!

At least I'll finally get some form of Halo on my PS3 within the next couple years. Perhaps as early as Holidays 2011? Surely something will be shown at E3...

Reading is still so hard I see.

Their single IP, their choice, their rights - I think that PR releases need to come out in two versions: big boy versions for people that can actually comprehend things, and the second, dumbed-down water-fountain-office-talk versions for the rest... :lol

Withnail

Kotick wins again. Can't help but have a sneaking admiration for the way he plays hardball with just about everybody, and yet Activision continue to be a hugely successful company. I bet the shareholders love him.

Eccocid said:
By the way do you think Bungie showed something to Activision ot get the deal? Like a new IP in the works? A concept demo or something?

I doubt they would have to show them anything: they're Bungie.

DieH@rd

Banned
15q6n9w.gif

thuway

So does this mean Nintendo and Sony are getting Bungie love? Hell I'm sure most people would be happy with a Reskinned Halo.

Acosta

Skilotonn said:
Their single IP, their choice, their rights - I think that PR releases need to come out in two versions: big boy versions for people that can actually comprehend things, and the second, dumbed-down water-fountain-office-talk versions for the rest... :lol

You are fucking naive if you really believe that, are you for real? if so, I have a bridge for sale if you are interested.

Xater

GodfatherX said:
Yup and that deal kinda screwed them as wolfenstein, doom 3 and quake 4 all under performed.

So will the next early beta be called "friends, family and that rich asshole uncle we don't talk about

But was it the fault of id Software or Activision? I can understand why 3 out 4 underperformed. Hint: They were not good.

Eccocid said:
By the way do you think Bungie showed something to Activision ot get the deal? Like a new IP in the works? A concept demo or something?

I imagine they showed them this little game series called Halo, perhaps you've heard of it?

Xater said:
But was it the fault of id Software or Activision? I can understand why 3 out 4 underperformed. Hint: They were not good.
Definitely id's fault which is why I'm surprised activision made a deal like this

Alastor

MagniHarvald said:
Too bad for you bro.

I'm not boycotting Activision, Bungie or anything. I'm just a PS3 owner who never really liked FPS games and don't play online.

But this new bungie IP might win my attention, who knows, maybe they're making something entirely different than Halo :)

OH SNAP! I actually own a Bungie game, PC version of Oni.

scitek

Makes sense now as to why Activision couldn't have cared less if they dissolved Infinity Ward. My respect for Bungie has been lowered immensely now, as well. I look forward to not purchasing anything they make in the future, not that I do now, anyway.

rager

Banned
I know Halo will never come to the PS3 since MS owns it. But I do look forward to a Halo Clone from Bungie. :D

Did I sleep for 28 days? How do I wake up to this.
Further proof that internet perception is living a few degrees from reality : (

Barney

Neo Member
So Activision is only publishing Bungie games and they're not controlling them or forcing them to work on their games (COD) right?

I guess this is a good thing for both of them. Activision gets to publish great games, and Bungie gets all the support that they need.

witness

God fucking damn it, what terrible news to wake up to. Didn't plan on throwing up in my mouth this morning. I know what the last Bungie game I'll buy for the next 10 years is. So I wonder how much money it took for bungie to look past activisions terrible practices/reputation the past couple of years? Bungie is now part of the problem.

coopolon

Shurs said:
I just find it hilarious that some dudes on the internet, who have no idea what the terms of the contract are, aside from length and Bungie retaining ownership of their IPs, think that they know that Bungie somehow got the short end of the stick in this deal.

Bungie's publishing rights being available is the video game equivalent of Lebron James hitting the free agent market. I'm sure Bungie chose the deal that was best for them.

Obviously this is all wild speculation, but that's what Gaf is all about.

But I think a lot of people are also overestimating how much power Bungie has in this deal as well. It's very easy to conceive of entirely plausible situations where Bungie, or their games, could end up a victim of the Activision machine.

Let's say Bungie takes the next year and a half making game X, the first of their new IP. They spend the money they get from Activision, and they're ready to hit their 10th milestone and get the next check to finish the project. Activision says, this is great, but we want you to change these ten things to make it more marketable/profitable/exploitable. Bungie doesn't want to change those ten things.

What are their options? They can't take this game, or this IP, and market it to other publishers. They're probably not a big enough corporation that they have enough capital/profits/whatever to wait out Activision. And it's been a year and half since they made anything relevant, so they're not exactly the hot stuff they once were to try to get another investment from another publisher to start all over making a new game. So they're pretty much forced to acquiesce to Activision's demands.

Hopefully, none of this ever happens. But just because Bungie stays independent and owns their own IP doesn't mean Activision can't destroy them with their exploitation philosophy.

yurinka

So their games are going to be multiplatform, nope(maybe ported by others)?
Or can they continue exclusive to 360?

sonicmj1

GodfatherX said:
Definitely id's fault which is why I'm surprised activision made a deal like this

Quake 4 and Wolfenstein weren't even made by id, though. They were developed by Raven Software, which Activision owns.

The mistake id made was giving Activision permission to publish games using id's IP. It didn't go well.

Jtyettis said:
Wait this is a one IP deal? Eh, ok.

Yes, it's a single IP, but Bungie are not really known for developing multiple IPs simultaneously, are they? That might change, of course, but if this new property is really as huge as they claim, I expect them to stick with it (and Activision) for the next 10 years.

-PXG-

The way the press release is worded, it makes it sound like there is only one game in development over a 10 year span. MMO? RPS? Hmmm....

announced today that they have entered into an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie’s next big action game universe to market. Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices.

Then again "universe" could imply a series. I guess we'll have to wait.

Top Bottom