• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

Shurs said:
I just find it hilarious that some dudes on the internet, who have no idea what the terms of the contract are, aside from length and Bungie retaining ownership of their IPs, think that they know that Bungie somehow got the short end of the stick in this deal.

Bungie's publishing rights being available is the video game equivalent of Lebron James hitting the free agent market. I'm sure Bungie chose the deal that was best for their pocketbooks...

fixed...

I'm honestly just tired of these big companies like EA and shit buying everything up.... we need independent developers to really push gaming in new directions.

Shurs

Karma Kramer said:
fixed...

I'm honestly just tired of these big companies like EA and shit buying everything up.... we need independent developers to really push gaming in new directions.

They are still independent.

I like Activision. It's not a right to work. People seem to forget that. Big difference between bonuses and commission. Bonuses do nothing but destroy the creditability of a business and should and can be canceled in financial hardship. Amazing that people still want to keep going down the same path.

2San

HixxSAFC said:
So this is basically very similar to the EA Partners thing that people on here adore, but because Activision is involved it's the work of the devil.
It's good you understand.
NHale said:
It doesn't make sense to leave Microsoft to join Activision, unless Bungie was offered a lot of money and creative freedom.
Everyone expected Bungie to leave MS. It's that they're working with Activision is whats surprising. I think Activision probably just gave a better deal than EA.

Biff

I guess Bungie is happy making Halo for the rest of their career!

At least I'll finally get some form of Halo on my PS3 within the next couple years. Perhaps as early as Holidays 2011? Surely something will be shown at E3...

Acosta

Shurs said:
Some examples would be great.

Ask Jason West.

HixxSAFC said:
So this is basically very similar to the EA Partners thing that people on here adore, but because Activision is involved it's the work of the devil.

The last time Activision tried this was with Double Fine and they not only dropped the project for no reason (oh wait, not being able to make it an exploitable series was the reason), they sued the studio for changing publisher when the project was mostly self-financed by Double fine.

Eccocid

LOL morning news morning erection!
I am so amused now :lol :D
It's good to have this kind of news once in a while!
E3 gonna be full of surprises this year!

-PXG-

If Bungie had signed with EA instead, I wouldn't be too surprised or shocked. But Activision? God damn Nick Swisher left field (I know he doesn't play left, but who cares, I'm still waking up) shit man. No one could have predicted this.

This pretty much confirms that Bungie will be a multiplatform dev from now on. So anyone wanting a game from Bungie on PS3 (and Wii?..DS?) can now rejoice...I guess.

Again, Bungie is a great studio, but why sign with the greediest, sleaziest, shittiest, most cut throat, we-don't-give-a-fuck-about-you company in the whole industry? I mean, look at what is happening with Infinity Ward. HELLO!!!!!!

KAP151

166x10m.gif

Xater

Acosta said:
The last time Activision tried this was with Double Fine and they not only dropped the project for no reason (oh wait, not being able to make it an exploitable series was the reason), they sued the studio for changing publisher when the project was mostly self-financed by Double fine.

Uh what about every id Software game in the last, I don't know, 15 years?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Bungie..Activision...

que?

ChefRamsay said:
I guess Bungie is happy making Halo for the rest of their career!

At least I'll finally get some form of Halo on my PS3 within the next couple years. Perhaps as early as Holidays 2011? Surely something will be shown at E3...

Bungie doesn't own Halo, Microsoft does.

Shurs said:
I just find it hilarious that some dudes on the internet, who have no idea what the terms of the contract are, aside from length and Bungie retaining ownership of their IPs, think that they know that Bungie somehow got the short end of the stick in this deal.

People love Bungie and they are terrified with this development, what's so hard to understand? Fear is an irrational feeling, but it can also save your head.

So I've been wondering, are we going to see more people leaving Bungie after Reach is finished? I wouldn't think everyone within the company is too happy with this arrangement.

Acosta

Xater said:

I wonder why ID didn't went with such an amazing publisher instead of Bethesda, or why they went with EA for Rage in first place.

Shurs

Acosta said:
Ask Jason West.

Jason West was an Activision employee, not a development partner.

Brutal Legend wasn't dropped "for no reason," they were dropped because after Activision gave them 15 million dollars to develop a game with little commercial prospects, Double Fine came back to them, after missing milestones, and asked for an additional 7 million dollars. That's when they cut the chord. Can you blame them?

Hixx

Acosta said:
Ask Jason West.

Erm, didn't Activision get Brutal Legend in the merger with Vivendi before subsequently deciding it wasn't worth their money, rather than them signing it up to drop it? What they did after was of course ridiculous, but it's not as similar as what they're doing with Bungie.

Everyone here needs to relax and stop spelling out the doom and gloom posts. Activision only has control over Bungie's next IP: nothing else. Bungie can do whatever it wants with whatever game it makes as long as it doesn't deal with this new IP.

HAHAHAHAHA :lol I don't know if this is fuckin' horrible or funny as hell but I know that I am laughing.

What the hell was Bungie thinking :lol

"We don't want to be Microsofts bitches, lets go with Activision"

-PXG-

DoctorWho said:
Does NeoGAF offer therapy sessions for those who have suffered a traumatic event?

I should PM Evilore and ask him if he can tack on some kind of insurance plan with GAF Gold :lol

Acosta said:
I wonder why ID didn't went with such an amazing publisher instead of Bethesda, or why they went with EA for Rage in first place.

Because Activision sent every ID game after doom 3 to its death with no marketing or support.

paskowitz

As a big PS fan I have always wanted Bungie to go multiplatform... but not like this. Honestly, I rather them stay exclusive. Activision is now officially taken the place of EA as the douche bag monopolistic publisher in the industry. Whatever Activision makes from now on is going to have to be earth shatteringly good for me to buy it because at this point they do not deserve my money.

Eccocid

By the way do you think Bungie showed something to Activision ot get the deal? Like a new IP in the works? A concept demo or something?

Kifimbo

Xater said:

When id Software signed with Bethesda, you could feel they weren't happy with Activision.

id CEO Todd Hollenshead, "This was a unique opportunity to team with a smart, sophisticated publisher like Bethesda Softworks where the interests of the studio and the publisher will be fully aligned in the development and marketing of our titles. In addition, we will now have financial and business resources to support the future growth of id Software, a huge advantage which will result in more and even better games for our fans."

Top Bottom