• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

Alastor

I've never owned an Activision-published game.
I've never owned a Bungie-developed game (I was close with Myth, though)
This isn't going to change.

But this thread is hilarious either way ;)

kinoki said:
So, my first guess wouldn't be that they'd start working on a PS3 game. My guess would be move toward the PC/Mac crowd with Steam but keeping the 360 in focus. That sounds about right, ye?
If they get anything out this gen I'd be shocked.

Maybe a book.

And a comic. And a dvd release. Does MacFarlane still make dolls?

Crisco

Banned
What the fuck is everyone so shocked about? Did you really think Bungie left MS 3 years ago so they could keep making Halo games exclusively for MS consoles forever? They wanted a publishing partner that would bring their IPs to multiple platforms, and they wanted to make sure they were stable. Given the turmoil in the game industry and within other publishers like EA and Ubisoft, Activision was the most logical choice

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Talon- said:
Will Bungie actually get paid by Activision? :lol

Good question.

Crisco said:
What the fuck is everyone so shocked about? Did you really think Bungie left MS 3 years ago so they could keep making Halo games exclusively for MS consoles forever? They wanted a publishing partner that would bring their IPs to multiple platforms, and they wanted to make sure they were stable. Given the turmoil in the game industry and within other publishers like EA and Ubisoft, Activision was the most logical choice

Activision is NEVER the most logical choice.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
LiK said:
kotick_douche_01.png
Pimp Kotick

Zinga

Banned
I'm all FOR Bungie going multiplatform, but making a deal with Activision of all people? I think after what happened to IW, Bungie would be smart enough to steer CLEAR of them! they make Microsoft look like St. Peter himself!

They should have went with EA Partners.

Defuser

The meltdowns are hilarious. Looking at the situation, Bungie is Chuck Norris right now playing poker with the devil.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crisco said:

... what turmoil is there within EA or Ubisoft?

Crisco said:

Everyone is shocked because Activision just bitch slapped Infinity Ward.

Shurs

Acosta said:
:lol :lol :lol

Yep, because Activision has a proud tradition of honoring the conditions they offer to external studios, right?

Whatever Bungie does, Activision will keep it, even if they need to tear apart Bungie to achieve that, history shows that.

Thinking otherwise is delusional.

Some examples would be great.

-PXG-

I seriously almost spat my fucking oatmeal all over my screen. I clicked on this thread hoping it was a joke and the OP was just trollin' GAF. Oh boy, was I wrong.

This sucks major dick. I love Bungie, but what the hell guys? Seriously. I hate to say it, but Halo Reach might be my last game Bungie game I'll buy.No way in hell I'm supporting that cocksucker Bobby Kotick.

Shurs said:
I don't see why it's so crazy that an independent developer would want to publish games on more than one system. They're losing out on millions of sales by not publishing on PS3 and PC. Activision is the largest publisher in the world, Bungie retains ownership of their IP's. It makes sense.

Sure, now apply the same logic to Naughty Dog (they're not independent at the moment, but like I said, neither was Bungie not so long ago).

I already explained what I consider to be crazy here, the fact that they've chosen Activision and not EA, ZeniMax or even someone like Capcom. I know Bungie is still an independent company, but Activision's reach (no pun) is tremendous and deadly. I'm afraid that Bungie is still going to suffer in some form because of this partnership.

Oh well, at least they didn't go with Intel.

Shurs said:
It would have been crazier for them to stay with Microsoft. The only other realistic option is EA, I think it's safe to assume that Activision offered Bungie a better deal.

It's still crazy to people considering Activision's current issues. It was pretty obvious to everyone once Bungie left MS they'd be doing multiplats eventually. Don't know who here ever though the "ZOMG PS3 Bungie" part of this was "crazy".

Cep

Banned
Shurs said:
I don't see why it's so crazy that an independent developer would want to publish games on more than one system. They're losing out on millions of sales by not publishing on PS3 and PC. Activision is the largest publisher in the world, Bungie retains ownership of their IP's. It makes sense.

Yes it does, but consider the fact that many believe that Activision is the Devil,and you understand why many are less than happy with this partnership.

I personally do not care, I am a consumer (or tool if you prefer). Short of Kotick raping cats on company time, there is nothing that would stop me from buying a good Activision game.

Elios83

metareferential said:
They're out of their mind.

Really, what the fuck.

Years complaining about Microsoft, and now they sign with the devil? :lol

If you read carefully Bungie has total creative freedom on the new IP and they get support from their publisher to go multiplatform.
They couldn't get those things working with MS and btw it's not like there are many big publishers to choose. It was basically EA,Activision or Take Two since the beginning.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I saw this on Twitter and seriously surprised as hell, considering the latest events with Activision.

But if the people in here would drop the hyperbole and actually READ, Bungie has full control over what they do, Activision are publishers and nothing more, plus it's for this single IP, whatever it may be.

Relax already, it's surprising, but there won't be any meddling with IP's or any bull like that, they have total control of their IP.

Biggest, fastest topic I've seen in at least a year i gotta say, no surprise as to why either...

-PXG- said:
I seriously almost spat my fucking oatmeal all over my screen. I clicked on this thread hoping it was a joke and the OP was just trollin' GAF. Oh boy, was I wrong.

This sucks major dick. I love Bungie, but what the hell guys? Seriously. I hate to say it, but Halo Reach might be my last game I'll buy from Bungie. No way in hell I'm supporting that cocksucker Bobby Kotick.
:lol :lol

I love nerd morality.

Elios83 said:
If you read carefully Bungie has total creative freedom on the new IP and they get support from their publisher to go multiplatform.
They couldn't get those things working with MS and btw it's not like there are many big publishers to choose. It was basically EA,Activision or Take Two since the beginning.

Yeah but they will get sued before the second dump truck of cash rolls in.

Xater

Gomu Gomu said:
BUNGIE HAS FULL AUTHORITY ON IT'S IPs

Be reasonable guys. The shit that happened to Guitar Hero and CoD is not likely to happen to Bungie.

Yep, this is actually a pretty good deal especially if you remeber that we are dealing with Activision here. It's basically the same thing id did before and they also had full control.

It's nice to see confirmation that Bungie will not be a multiplatform developer.

Kinyou

Crisco said:

Activision might have been a good choice if they just hadn't ripped one of their most prestige worthy delevopers apart...

Sure, I'm not really into Activision but after reading the rational posts explaining what this actually means it doesn't sound too bad. And anyone that makes another LOL HALO HERO joke is stupid and lame.

Also I love the people that are assuming that the deal was struck up over a beer last weekend. It's obviously been in the works far before IW-gate and all other recent events. It makes more sense when you think about it that way.

NHale

This is the news of the year. The Infinity Ward - Activision split was predictable, this I would never imagined happening.

It doesn't make sense to leave Microsoft to join Activision, unless Bungie was offered a lot of money and creative freedom.

One thing from the PR statement is that future Bungie will be multi-plataform, so Microsoft never had the rights of first refusal on the Bungie future IPs.

Wraith RazieL

Neo Member
Damn, I just got to work and saw this info on another site and quickly jumped into Neo. Man, you guys work fast! This news is just....just....*starts hearing the Twilight Zone song in head*

Crisco

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
... what turmoil is there within EA or Ubisoft?

Besides the fact that their stock prices have been falling for years and the constant shifts in management? Don't be so fucking dense. Activision is by far the most financially stable multiplatform publisher in the industry today.

Hixx

So this is basically very similar to the EA Partners thing that people on here adore, but because Activision is involved it's the work of the devil.

Magni

Alastor said:
I've never owned an Activision-published game.
I've never owned a Bungie-developed game (I was close with Myth, though)
This isn't going to change.

But this thread is hilarious either way ;)

Too bad for you bro.

I wish I could make gifs.

You know the start of Halo Reach, where the spartan is looking at his helmet, he puts it on, and bungie appears, then later, microsoft gamestudios. Could someone put in activision instead?

I'm a bit of spastic.

Xater

HixxSAFC said:
So this is basically very similar to the EA Partners thing that people on here adore, but because Activision is involved it's the work of the devil.

It is and I am only suprised that Activision went for it. The only other time I can remeber them doing that was with id Software.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BUNGLE....

Bungie: "THAT'S US~!"

:lol Well, at least their next game will come to the PS3... even if it's via Activison. :(

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Sure, now apply the same logic to Naughty Dog (they're not independent at the moment, but like I said, neither was Bungie not so long ago).

I already explained what I consider to be crazy here, the fact that they've chosen Activision and not EA, ZeniMax or even someone like Capcom. I know Bungie is still an independent company, but Activision's reach (no pun) is tremendous and deadly. I'm afraid that Bungie is still going to suffer in some form because of this partnership.

Oh well, at least they didn't go with Intel.

I just find it hilarious that some dudes on the internet, who have no idea what the terms of the contract are, aside from length and Bungie retaining ownership of their IPs, think that they know that Bungie somehow got the short end of the stick in this deal.

Bungie's publishing rights being available is the video game equivalent of Lebron James hitting the free agent market. I'm sure Bungie chose the deal that was best for them.

HiResDes

Buttonbasher said:
Sure, I'm not really into Activision but after reading the rational posts explaining what this actually means it doesn't sound too bad. And anyone that makes another LOL HALO HERO joke is stupid and lame.
I'm not as much worried about Bungie's creative license as they seem to be largely a one trick pony to me anyway. However, I very much dislike the idea of feeding the large festering demon fissure of the gaming industry out of fear that for its potential and because in a sense Activision is seemingly getting rewarded for its erroneous behavior.

Top Bottom