• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a PC Monitor

Wedzi

Banned
So I'm buying a computer monitor. Mainly to use for school and office work off my laptop (Dell XPS 13 so I guess I'll need to grab a thunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter as well) but I'll also be plugging my PS4 into it and using it almost exclusively on the monitor as well.

My budget is limited to below $150.

Right now I think I've narrowed down two good options:

BenQ GL2460HM
16747_gallery_large_01thumb.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKDFL4O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=TZ3XQ0THJVF78FYQ3ZJW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop&linkCode=sl1&tag=techoftomo-20&linkId=1af656e34b859c9ffdfd2f276146c690&th=1

Acer R240HY
172949_jpg.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00IKDFL4O

Really leaning towards the Acer with its thin bezels and IPS display but I've seen a lot of people using the BenQ monitor especially for gaming.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these models, experience using a console on a PC monitor, or any other relevant suggestions? Any advice is appreciated!

Jimrpg

I'm using the Acer G227HQL for work and its perfectly fine.

Like this one

Don't forget to check if yours has HDMI and how you're going to get the sound out from the PS4 if your monitor doesn't have speakers. Headphones would be the easiest option thru the DS4, but its still nice to have external speakers once in a while.

I use this a BenQ RL2455HM for my console and PC gaming since 2014

Keep in mind I also use it for my work pretty much I spend more than 10 hours per day using it daily it works amazing the input lag is only 10ms and the response time is 1ms

Proat

Neo Member
I have the Acer and I can tell you it is very nice monitor. The thin bezels are awesome and the color from the panel is great. Haven't noticed any input delay or latency either. The only problems I have with it are that the stand is not adjustable in any way whatsoever, and the buttons (besides power) are unlabeled. I've even been able to overclock the monitor to a stable 75hz at 1080p. Overall I'm pretty happy with my purchase, just wish the monitor had any kind of adjustment.

Wedzi

Banned
I'm using the Acer G227HQL for work and its perfectly fine.

Like this one

Don't forget to check if yours has HDMI and how you're going to get the sound out from the PS4 if your monitor doesn't have speakers. Headphones would be the easiest option thru the DS4, but its still nice to have external speakers once in a while.

Both have HDMI and a 3.5mm headphone jack so that's nice. Plus the BenQ has built in stereo speakers but I doubt they are very good.

I have the Acer and I can tell you it is very nice monitor. The thin bezels are awesome and the color from the panel is great. Haven't noticed any input delay or latency either. The only problems I have with it are that the stand is not adjustable in any way whatsoever, and the buttons (besides power) are unlabeled. I've even been able to overclock the monitor to a stable 75hz at 1080p. Overall I'm pretty happy with my purchase, just wish the monitor had any kind of adjustment.

My desk is pretty high up so I'm hoping I won't have to worry about adjusting it higher but if I must I have loads of text books I could use to prop it up. Probably the most expensive laptop stand I'll ever use lol

Pooya

I suggest to take a look at this new LG monitor. LG 24MP59G

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDY3SJF/?tag=neogaf0e-20

24inch IPS, 75Hz, FreeSync.

Probably best value you can find in this price range.

It's very new. It's like only a month old so there is not much reviews or footage out there. Try it if you don't like it return it. User reviews are good at least.

75Hz looks noticeably better than 60Hz in desktop with smoother mouse movement (it's 20 percent more frames, it's a big deal) and displayport with freesync is nice to have. You don't see DP on budget displays, I think this monitor is too good for the money. If I needed a new budget monitor I'd try this myself. I don't know what is the freesync range on the display but it's better than nothing.

From my own experience, inexpensive LG AH-IPS panels are really good considering the price and things like IPS glow and BLB in 24-25" isn't nearly as apparent in general compared with larger IPS panels.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sell me on this for gaming.
21:9 is giving you amazing work space on a single screen while being incredible for PC games as most support it now.

How they work with consoles as OP do I have no idea, but I guess you'll have some black borders on the left and right side.

There's also the price so, maybe not the best fit for OP.

KurtFehl

He has a budget of $150, and he wants to plug in his PS4

So not really a good idea

He wants it for his laptop and PS4, does no one read the OP?

I agree with the LG recommendation above

My bad. I didn't read OP but now I did.

Wedzi

Banned
I suggest to take a look at this new LG monitor. LG 24MP59G

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDY3SJF/?tag=neogaf0e-20

24inch IPS, 75Hz, FreeSync.

Probably best value you can find in this price range.

It's very new. It's like only a month old so there is not much reviews or footage out there. Try it if you don't like it return it. User reviews are good at least.

75Hz looks noticeably better than 60Hz in desktop with smoother mouse movement (it's 20 percent more frames, it's a big deal) and displayport with freesync is nice to have. You don't see DP on budget displays, I think this monitor is too good for the money. If I needed a new budget monitor I'd try this myself. I don't know what is the freesync range on the display but it's better than nothing.

Hmm this is a pretty good option. I don't know if 75Hz will mean much to me since my laptop screen is only 60Hz and that's what I'm used to anyways but it's an IPS display so that's a plus.
Does anyone know how well supported free sync will be in the future? I know Scorpio will support in in some ways so it could be a nice feature for future proofing.

OP rethink your purchase and go 21:9!

Also for the record if I had an unlimited budget I wouldn't go for 21:9 but dual 8K Dell Ultrasharps lol

Pooya

Hmm this is a pretty good option. I don't know if 75Hz will mean much to me since my laptop screen is only 60Hz and that's what I'm used to anyways but it's an IPS display so that's a plus.

Doesn't matter what your laptop display is, you can output at 75Hz no problem. Even for reading and browsing it's a noticeable improvement.

Remember to set your PS4 to RGB Full in the video settings.

PC Monitors usually have RGB range at full (HDTV's are RGB limited) and for some reason the auto setting never properly works on the ps4.

Alright so my personal budget is $400 for a monitor that is sold on Amazon by Amazon, so I can use my credit. I have a 980ti I'm wasting on a 1080p60 screen.

I want ultrawide as much as I want 144Hz, and 1440p less so. IPS and HDR would be cool as well as other bells and whistles. Give me recommendations.

Wedzi

Banned
Alright I think I've decided to go with the Acer model. Seems to fit my needs and budget really well. Thanks for playing everyone.

Though I'll add I was supper interested in the 75Hz LG monitor with free sync.

Rizific

I have a 27 inch monitor right now, will this size feel like a big downgrade?
i had a similar monitor, that 29" will be shorter than your 27" 1080p. it has freesync and you have an nvidia card. 75hz isnt an appreciable enough of a difference over 60hz. i wouldnt bother.

Jimrpg

Alright I think I've decided to go with the Acer model. Seems to fit my needs and budget really well. Thanks for playing everyone.

Though I'll add I was supper interested in the 75Hz LG monitor with free sync.

Cool the Acer model is IPS too, and the BenQ in my brief research seemed like its only a TN. So probably worth the extra $10ish

maus

For this type of use and budget I would definitely go with a Dell IPS 24". Fantastic colors, input response, and no extra stuff that a PS4 wouldn't take advantage of anyway. My 2013 model still serves me well as a second monitor and has even better colors than my 144hz main monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9B3XZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$178 on amazon but that's the only place I looked so you might find a better deal somewhere else. You can get a refurb unit for $125 on there too.

janey

Neo Member
Why not keep ASUS VG245 as an option?
I personally own an ASUS VG245 (about a year old now) and its the best thing and a very satisfactory product with excellent build quality and immaculate perofrmance.
HAPPY GAMING.
or you can look at this page , here you can find more choices.

I know, you're limited to less than $150, but if you can stretch it just a bit, this is what I would recommend just because it's so damn gorgeous.

LG 24" Monitor - $196 (Amazon, US)

If it's primarily for work and the exclusive screen for your PS4, there are very few monitors that would not serve that purpose. Prioritize the I/O options (2x HDMI, if possible) and screen type (IPS preferably), but otherwise it's more or less about your cosmetic preference. Viewsonic, Dell, and Acer monitors are my go-to picks, but I'd be open to AOC or HP if they had the right aesthetics and I/O.

Top Bottom