• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Can anyone here explain the hack?

I just saw a YT clip showing off how to do it (it was posted 2 days ago and it's already >50k views), but I CANNOT understand how the hell did they do such things with a save game hack. The IW forum is flodded with hate/rage threads regarding the hackers. The game is in ruins until they patch this.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tkawsome said:
When did this start becoming a problem? I've been playing for the past two weeks and today was the first time I ever encountered this.

Thursday night is when I saw it start to pop up. By Friday afternoon it was rampant.

tuco11

Yeah picked this up again after watching the MW2 multi clip. The glitching was ridiculous. A guy was inside a rock on Overgrown. Oh well, back to the superieor World at War. :D

tuco11 said:
Yeah picked this up again after watching the MW2 multi clip. The glitching was ridiculous. A guy was inside a rock on Overgrown. Oh well, back to the superieor World at War. :D

I found some dude inside a box in the attic on Overgrown. His gun was peaking out and shots didn't hurt him. He killed my teammate, but somehow failed to kill me (and I was just standing there). Another dude flew into the air and disappeared. He was sniping people from some invisible position in the air, but barely racked up any kills.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheSeks said:
But yeah, going off tangant: That's been patched AFAIK and unless there is some workaround now (which there apparently is, given the posts in here), it shouldn't work. :/

To continue this little research saga: I found the updated files. Put them on my PS3 to test. It works with the latest patch out. Great. So it seems the same file I found has been modified (AFAIK, the files are the same, just there is some updated thing that I'm not finding scouring the save files).

It works in Split-screen mode, but the file/owner of that save goes into a "No FX" mode. (Kinda neat, it's like a "Spectator" camera that isn't following anyone in Q3A) The other person apparently is in the same mode, though. So it absolutely destroys the ability to play in split-screen with it (which is good, no cheating going on if that's the case :lol ). You can't even access the menu to quit the split-screen session. You have to quit to the XMB.

Guess I'm going to go online for a second to mess around with it. (Thankfully using my cousin who is no longer living with us'es throw away PSN so if it does get banned no skin off my nose)

Hmm... private match is the same as split-screen. Bizzare. But I guess it's not unexpected. (More notes: Seems the gametype changes from "Death Match" to "Old School" mode, AKA: picking up things, since the guns are floating in the air on the ground/map. But since you aren't actually spawning, you can't pick them up and there is no "aura" around them)

OH SHIT. I guess it totally works in public matches. I'm able to spawn. Turning it on/off works like the youtube video I've found. I was able to get to the "hidden bridge" on Cross Fire (which is documented on Youtube with some people practically having to climb/jump over things to get there normally) with a quick no-clip.

Again: AFAIK this same save-file has been patched. But this version seems to work on the latest patch and I can't seem to find what they changed. As it stands, holy fuck going online and seeing the hackers doing it themselves as a fresh level 1 alt. account is fucking scary. I really do hope IW patches this quickly as it's a huge issue (shit, other boards are FILLED with links/discussion on this)

The only thing I can tell that is updated in this file along with a few other things is the save file image, but anyone can update that on any PS3 game without any fuss. This image advertises where it came from, and no I'm not giving that out

TheSeks

TimeLike said:
Why is half the stuff you say in parantheses? Are there two people talking or what? I don't get it.

Maybe because I like saying things as asides? Why does it bother you?

TimeLike

It's just a pet peeve of mine. Take the parantheses out and the post is the same. Mamma always said if it ain't worth saying without parantheses, it ain't worth saing at all.

Um, reading these posts sound like CoD4 is pretty shit right now. I suggest you guys play CoD:WaW instead. I haven't seen any of these cheats there. Treyarch has been doing good.

salva said:
Um, reading these posts sound like CoD4 is pretty shit right now. I suggest you guys play CoD:WaW instead. I haven't seen any of these cheats there. Treyarch has been doing good.

WaW MP just didn't do it for me. I enjoyed the single player mode, but something felt off in multiplayer. I can't put my finger on it...

scoobs

Tkawsome said:
WaW MP just didn't do it for me. I enjoyed the single player mode, but something felt off in multiplayer. I can't put my finger on it...

WaW is actually more fun for me i absolutely love the MP on PC. Thompson+supressor = win. Just got done playing and went 103-12 :)

Tkawsome said:

I find WaW better. I have over 11 days on it and i'm almost a 10th prestige. It's harder to rank up here.

Spydy

Banned
After playing WaW MP for extended periods I found the re-spawning was an issue. CoD4 has it's momentary lapses of bad re-spawns, but WaW was spoilt because of it. I didn't find the maps to be that exciting either to be honest. What's that map? Downfall. It's like a 2x2 cage match but it's part of the MP map rotation. Crazy.

I might give it another go though and download the new maps if CoD4 glitching get's out of control.

Spydy said:
After playing WaW MP for extended periods I found the re-spawning was an issue. CoD4 has it's momentary lapses of bad re-spawns, but WaW was spoilt because of it. I didn't find the maps to be that exciting either to be honest. What's that map? Downfall. It's like a 2x2 cage match but it's part of the MP map rotation. Crazy.

I might give it another go though and download the new maps if CoD4 glitching get's out of control.

Downfall is pretty huge...

TheSeks

salva said:

No thanks, bro. I've got Bad Company to keep my company (oshi--puns) until IW (a year later) fixes CoD4.

Spydy said:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Dome.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've gone back to WaW too. Personally I prefer the maps and guns in WaW anyway. My friends feel the exact opposite though. Mainly because they suck at it. They just haven't put the time in to learn the levels and haven't even unlocked half the guns yet. Fuck'em though. I play better by myself.

SHIT!

The hack/exploit has found its way onto XBL. People are using the 3rd party cable/accessory that allows you to plug the 360 HDD to a PC and people are editing the needed files that way. :(

Was playing HC TDM and some guy on my team was floating and popping up from the ground to shotgun people 57-0 on hardcore. He invited a few of us to HC S&D and he did the same.

Does anybody else have problems joining matches you were invited to (PSN)? Every time I accept an invite it says unable to join host.

never got into WAW. The maps weren't anything special and the same old WW2 guns.

respawn system is still broken after almost a year.

bouncing betty's are the cheapest kills ever.

borsdy

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
SHIT!

The hack/exploit has found its way onto XBL. People are using the 3rd party cable/accessory that allows you to plug the 360 HDD to a PC and people are editing the needed files that way. :(

Was playing HC TDM and some guy on my team was floating and popping up from the ground to shotgun people 57-0 on hardcore. He invited a few of us to HC S&D and he did the same.
I hope you reported this fuckass.

borsdy

Banned
Excellent.

Tkawsome said:
You can't report on PSN (as far as I know), so I've just been team killing them. I've been finding a bunch of other people doing the same thing.

It seems I've been lucky as I've seen no such hacks in the last week or so that I've gone back to the game. Ever since that MW2 multiplayer trailer I've just had that itch that was so common for the best part of a year, and now I'm playing again in most of my free time.

Had an amazing match tonight on Strike where I got an 18 kill streak and I got an adrenaline kick that is so, so rare in most games I play. After the 15th kill I'm pretty sure I had my breath held the entire time until one lucky grenade landed at my feet. :lol

Still the best online game ever.

Yep, cheating is rampant now on Xbox Live. Seen a ton of people doing it all day. It's like Halo 2 all over again. This game goes back on the shelf now until it's fixed.

Saw the cheats tonight on XBL. Everyone in our team reported him for cheating though. On PSN I understand doing it cause you can't be caught but the more you do it on XBL the more reports you're going to get filed and you'll get your account banned.

OldJadedGamer said:
Saw the cheats tonight on XBL. Everyone in our team reported him for cheating though. On PSN I understand doing it cause you can't be caught but the more you do it on XBL the more reports you're going to get filed and you'll get your account banned.

You get your PS3 banned from PSN.

OldJadedGamer said:

They don't get reported, but they do get shot. I played a couple of rounds earlier today where our team was devoted to team killing the hacker. Eventually he was too scared to actually play since everyone was trying to kill him, and he just floated in the air the whole time. Sure he won't get banned, but he sure as hell can't play the game.

Bearillusion said:
You get your PS3 banned from PSN.

How do you report them?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Tkawsome said:
How do you report them?

I think you have to go through the XMB to where you can look at people who you have played with and pick them out and press triangle and you should see an option to report...

I know I did it once or twice to report some racist...

I don't know that it actually works effectively as I check a week later and the guy still had the same username...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tkawsome said:
Does anybody else have problems joining matches you were invited to (PSN)? Every time I accept an invite it says unable to join host.

I've never been able to join a match when I'm already in one. I always get the error you are talking about.

soultron said:
Time to nuke COD4, IW. I'm going to log on to XBL to see if it's really that bad.

I logged in to CoD4 to see if there were any cheaters but nothing, nada. No cheaters at all. I guess i got lucky but then again, i only played 3 matches.

soultron

Banned
salva said:
I logged in to CoD4 to see if there were any cheaters but nothing, nada. No cheaters at all. I guess i got lucky but then again, i only played 3 matches.
Same. Mind you, it is about 6AM EST.

Tarin02543

I've just experienced a new hack. I got into a game and everybody was trapped in the gamescore list, no way to abort or exit the game.

The host was then spawning arnold schwarzenegger soundboard sounds. All you could do was freefly through the level.

F#A#Oo said:
I think you have to go through the XMB to where you can look at people who you have played with and pick them out and press triangle and you should see an option to report...

I know I did it once or twice to report some racist...

I don't know that it actually works effectively as I check a week later and the guy still had the same username...

you can also do it via the help & support website

http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/grief-reporting/

Mr. B

Played for a few hours last night and didn't come across any of the exploits. Hopefully it stays that way, got to get my MW fix since watching that MW2 video.

Tkawsome said:
You can't report on PSN (as far as I know), so I've just been team killing them. I've been finding a bunch of other people doing the same thing.
I think this is how you report people on PSN. Don't know how effective it is though, never used it before.

sun-drop said:
i guess this is the upside of the fact ps3 encrypts it's hdd .. so you don't see this shit on psn ..

trying to go in half cocked?

It started on PSN...and seems easier to do on the PS3(copy files to USB drive edit on PC) than the 360(special 360 HDD cable to PC)

Top Bottom