• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

ElyrionX

skip said:
a good tactic in the TV station control room is to start the fight, then try to draw them back into the smaller room where you came from. this'll funnel them into the doorway and make your LOS easier to negotiate. if they cooperate.

That's what I did. Killed a whole bunch of them for a while and they never seem to stop coming. Then I accidentally walked into a grenade and died.

And that's another problem. They throw an assload of grenades at you. It's way too easy to die.

zam said:
That's Call of Duty for you, endlessly spawning enemies. On Normal that's a pretty cool game mechanic as it keeps the enemies coming at you at all times and forcing you to move forward but on Veteran it just annoys the crap out of me.

You just can't hang back and take them off from a distance, you could sit for 30 minutes and they would still keep coming, and what's even more annoying on the harder difficulties is that your teammates won't move forward until you move forward, they'll just sit there and wait for you to advance and take out the enemy.

What? So the enemy spawns are infinite and the only way to progress is to gun your way through?

skip said:
play through on normal first! don't let frustration cloud your enjoyment!

Just finished it on Veteran. It wasn't so hard, at all. The only super frustrating part was
"No Fighting in the War Room" where you have 9 minutes to make it to the target. Super small corriders + your friendly AI suddenly going completely dead + built-in timesinks (the blast door taking an entire minute to open; I mean are you fucking kidding me?) = my controller went flying many, many times.

Spruchy

got it at 7 played mp for 2 hours straight, game is amazing just like beta...everyone online was ecstatic. Went 32-5 in one game I R TEH BEAST. Heroes break then back to this amazing game.

h3ro

Time to update the OP with all the reviews!

To JB1981, is the difference b/w the two versions that apparent? Or is it still screen analysis?

Rendition

I'm on the fence on which version to get. What are the pros and cons for PC vs. 360 vs. PS3?

I have a PC with ATI 1900xt card and 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of RAM. The demo seemed to run well.

Would someone mind some shots from the xbox and PS3 version so we can see if there are any differences?

Mostly I just want to see some screen shots, since I'm not playing this until tomorrow :(

Calen

You just can't hang back and take them off from a distance, you could sit for 30 minutes and they would still keep coming
This isn't true. You can kill them all (this is how I get past the TV room on the harder difficulties.)

Smokey

Pretty intense game.

I just got past the TV station part, and wow. Bullets flying everywhere, shit exploding, your guys yelling stuff out. Wow.

It took me 2-3 tries to complete it though, it was pretty tough. I also loved how they opened the game. Feels likes like your watching a blockbuster movie.

ElyrionX

skip said:

I think that's what I'm going to do since I really don't have the time to replay scenarios over and over again. Multiplayer is already eating a huge chunk of my time.

zam

derder said:
Holy shit.

The "thrown back grenade" thing is up for like 5 seconds and he just stands there.
I know :lol :lol Maybe he was referring to the grenade indicator and not the "throw back grenade" (as the throw back only appears if you are right by the grenade) but they should have used some other footage :p

Calen said:
This isn't true. You can kill them all (this is how I get past the TV room on the harder difficulties.)
Is this throughout the entire game or is it just certain parts (like aforementioned room)? I haven't played CoD4 but the "enemies-spawn-infinitely" is more or less a staple of the CoD-series and I'd be surprised if they removed it.

ElyrionX said:
What? So the enemy spawns are infinite and the only way to progress is to gun your way through?

They don't infinitely respawn, but they do respawn for awhile. If you advance quickly, however, it turns off their respawning. That's how I did the TV station on Veteran. I cut my way through the left-side of the room, and then picked off the stragglers.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
JB1981 said:
Graphics are simply unreal. But so far the game is pretty boring. I feel like I'm watching most of it happen. I'm playing the 360 version because it looks better.

PS3 version sounds better and looks spectacular as well, though.

J-Rez, need any players for multi? I wanna try this out on PSn.

My tag is Beamber. Let me know, I have to get to bed soon :D

In what way?

Calen

zam said:
Is this throughout the entire game or is it just certain parts (like aforementioned room)? I haven't played CoD4 but the "enemies-spawn-infinitely" is more or less a staple of the CoD-series and I'd be surprised if they removed it.
I am 99.9% sure we don't have any infinite spawners in CoD4. There are places where there are a metric crap ton of guys, but they will always deplete. (0.1% uncertainty due to the fact that I am a code monkey and not a designer.) I think the idea was that careful, hold-back-and-shoot-stuff style players should be able to finish the game too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
skip said:

Pft, playing a CoD game below Veteran just doesn't feel right to me. Especially on normal, that's why too easy!

zam

Calen said:
I am 99.9% sure we don't have any infinite spawners in CoD4. There are places where there are a metric crap ton of guys, but they will always deplete. (0.1% uncertainty due to the fact that I am a code monkey and not a designer.) I think the idea was that careful, hold-back-and-shoot-stuff style players should be able to finish the game too.
Ok, I just assumed since it was like that in CoD2 and CoD3, if the enemies don't respawn indefinitely I'm really happy, since that was one of my biggest gripes about CoD, especially when playing on Veteran.

Calen

Vyse The Legend said:
They don't infinitely respawn, but they do respawn for awhile. If you advance quickly, however, it turns off their respawning. That's how I did the TV station on Veteran. I cut my way through the left-side of the room, and then picked off the stragglers.
I always die SO fast when I try that. I generally have to kill them all while dodging grenades. I tend to move around a lot, though, and I like to
hide in the small room that is in the far back right hand corner from where you enter the big TV room.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
Graphics are simply unreal. But so far the game is pretty boring. I feel like I'm watching most of it happen. I'm playing the 360 version because it looks better.

PS3 version sounds better and looks spectacular as well, though.

J-Rez, need any players for multi? I wanna try this out on PSn.

My tag is Beamber. Let me know, I have to get to bed soon :D

That's kind of how I feel about COD2, but hey, I'm always up for a graphical whorepiece.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
You're kidding me.

My launch 360 just died.

Oh well, time to continue leveling on the PC version :D

IGN Review said:
Call of Duty 4 offers 16 maps and thirteen multiplayer variants out of the box. PS3 and 360 support 18 players online (a number that could increase at a later date) with PC offering 32-player matches. Other than the number count, multiplayer is identical for all three systems. This is in terms of modes, map layouts, visual fidelity, and performance. Top to bottom, COD4 runs fantastically. On consoles you may see a few random moments of lag hit, but in my experience, these were so rare that I hardly noticed them.

FUCK YEA! PS3 VERSION AM GET!

Synless

With all the multiplayer talk I was looking around and didn't see it but does split multiplayer (NOT CO-OP) support only two players or up to 4? My friends and I want to do some split screen tonight due to the fact I'll be the only one with the game. Can anyone answer this for me?

Synless said:
With all the multiplayer talk I was looking around and didn't see it but does split multiplayer (NOT CO-OP) support only two players or up to 4? My friends and I want to do some split screen tonight due to the fact I'll be the only one with the game. Can anyone answer this for me?
If you want split-screen online, it's only 1. I don't know know about plain old offline multiplayer. Damn you, h0pper.

Synless said:
The only splitscreen for COD4 is offline 4 player.

Ragnarok10

Want your guys opinion: Getting the PS3 version and I'm wondering if I should select the 1080p output (let the PS3 scale) or select the 720p output (let my TV scale)? I've got a 1080p Sammy DLP.

Ashhong

spermatic cord said:
The only splitscreen for COD4 is offline 4 player.

OK, so can someone clear this up really quick. Is ^ true? How can you have 4 player but not 2 player? And if it's not true, OFFLINE, can I play splitscreen CO-OP?

Synless

Ashhong said:
OK, so can someone clear this up really quick. Is ^ true? How can you have 4 player but not 2 player? And if it's not true, OFFLINE, can I play splitscreen CO-OP?
I hear there is no Co-op.

h3ro

Ragnarok10 said:
Want your guys opinion: Getting the PS3 version and I'm wondering if I should select the 1080p output (let the PS3 scale) or select the 720p output (let my TV scale)? I've got a 1080p Sammy DLP.

I think it would be better to let the PS3 render the game in its native res (720p) and letting your Sammy upscale the image to fit the screen.

I hate to compare COD4's multi to Halo 3's, but IW knocked Bungie in the pants as far as rewards go. So many different things to unlock and customize your character and weapons with. The XP bar at the bottom is addicting too, seeing it go up with every kill just begs you to keep playing.

h3ro

Wario64 said:
COD is so good that it'll kill your X360, confirmed

If the 360 had the Martyrdom perk, then it would have thrown out a power brick grenade and blow up your PC and PS3 so you couldn't pick up the game on any other console...

Top Bottom