• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War Gameplay (Gameplay captured on Playstation 5)

Tiamat2san

I always play the campaign once.
This time I’ll wait for a sale since it will be more expensive for next-gen.
It looks like call of duty, pop corn gaming.
I say that , every fucking time, and buy day one and resale it the week after.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Direct sequel to BO1 eh? BO1 and BO2 are some of the best in the series so I am intetested in this. Hope this lives up to them. After BO2 COD went into a direction I wasn't too interested in and MW/WZ brought me back.

Didn't really feel that trailer much though.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Not claiming this looks next gen but if this doesn't at least qualify as good then Resident Evil Village in comparison looks like garbage. Cannot have your cake and eat it.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
Looks dope. COD is in very good shape lately. In fact, Activision has been releasing quality games like the Tony Hawk remake or the new Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:
Black Ops is the only CoD i ever liked, when it came out i remember telling people...the next one should be in the 80s and have Iran Contra ties...instead some weird future wank crap came out.

Really tired of these "omg i never lived in the 80s , blue monday was the song right?" trailers. Cant stand them dragging that song through the mud for an era they didnt live in or really understand....but such is nostalgia dribble i guess

VFXVeteran

Banned
Cod will be 4k 120 on both consoles and use haptik feed back on dual sense
https://venturebeat.com/2020/08/26/...eneration-cross-platform-play-on-november-13/

A

They got you with "refresh rates". No way that game is going to play at 4k/120FPS with ray-tracing. Not going to happen. They are talking about having a console be able to support 4k and support 120Hz. Not how fast the game will run with all the features they are adding to it. Don't fall for the misinterpretation there.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Guys, let me chime in here to say something about your arguments.

The reason why RDR2 looks better than GTA5 is because we crossed a threshold of physically based shaders. The difference is dramatic to say the least. While GTA5 looks "cleaner" than RDR2 on PS4, the PS4 has more complex lighting and shading. That's not artwork. That's technology.

This generation is not going to be as dramatic which I think most of you are anticipating. PBR is going to be in. The only difference that's going to be dramatic will be ray-tracing. But that's heavy and I don't see the more expensive features being used without resolution scaling (which will of course, blur the overall image again so you never really escape that). In order to label something as "next-gen" it has to have some tech behind it that isn't playable on the previous consoles but also something different to the tech. UE5 demo, FS2020 and Black Myth all have something never done before during this generation and makes the visuals stand out. Not from artistic choice, but from tech.

A lot of the console gamers will immediately start to notice that their 3rd party games will look very similar to current gen with the exception of having native 4k renders and added on features to the rendering pipeline like HBAO, 16x anisotropic filtering, etc.. RT reflections might be thrown in the mix as that's the cheapest use of ray-tracing. All in all, you'll be seeing last gen games with PBR, 4k, some RT, and good graphics features that wasn't available on last gen consoles. Essentially a PC playing last gen games (as I said before).

iamvin22

Industry Verified
They got you with "refresh rates". No way that game is going to play at 4k/120FPS with ray-tracing. Not going to happen. They are talking about having a console be able to support 4k and support 120Hz. Not how fast the game will run with all the features they are adding to it. Don't fall for the misinterpretation there.

Where did "I" say 120fps? All I did was post a link to a story.

"With next-generation consoles, the game will play at 4K resolution and refresh rates at 120hz." - that's from the article, nevermind VFXVet on this one

Everyone is talking about animatoric Reagan when they should be talking about the animatronic Robert Redford character from Spy Game:

brad-pitt-robert-redford-scoprite-inquietante-citazione-x-files-spy-game-v3-441265-720x720.jpg

EDMIX

I doubt frostbite will be industry leader anymore since most of the lead graphics programming leads have left dice.

And? I'm not really sure why that would suddenly stop them from being some of the best in that department as I'm pretty sure they didn't just decide to never re-hire for that position or something and I'm pretty skeptical when ever I hear anything like "most of" blank happened to blank.

Give an official link with receipts and we can talk. Talking about a studio with over 700 plus employees here.

So if you could point to me the exact person that left that supersedes all the people at DICE to make that engine what it is today, then we can really say they are in some trouble, but I find most people make this claim with very little evidence.

Last edited:

GenericUser

This looks super impressive imo. I don't know what people expect from next gen, but getting this kind of quality in 4k/60fps + raytracing on a 500 dollar box is incredible in my book. Unfortunately, I don't give a fuck about call of duties single player, so I have to wait until september 9th for the "real" reveal. Still neat though.

kikkis

And? I'm not really sure why that would suddenly stop them from being some of the best in that department as I'm pretty sure they didn't just decide to never re-hire for that position or something and I'm pretty skeptical when ever I hear anything like "most of" blank happened to blank.

Give an official link with receipts and we can talk. Talking about a studio with over 700 plus employees here.
Top tier graphics programmer supply is really small worldwide, its really hard to hire for those positions and ofc its not like labor intensive position anyways. There is no official link, but I can name like 10 top graphics programmers with many with publications on siggraph etc. Naming those persons here would be bit weird ofc.

EDMIX

Top tier graphics programmer supply is really small worldwide, its really hard to hire for those positions and ofc its not like labor intensive position anyways. There is no official link, but I can name like 10 top graphics programmers with many with publications on siggraph etc. Naming those persons here would be bit weird ofc.

? Ok.....so you don't actually have any real evidence that " most of the lead graphics programming leads have left dice " then?

Do you see why I'm a bit skeptical when I hear this about a 700 plus development team? People come and go all the time, but a few people leaving are not going to suddenly sink an entire studio of that size. So hard to hire sure, the position left completely empty or something at one of the top publishers in gaming? Extremely unlikely.

bargeparty

Why would it matter that the game is 120hz?

Xbox Series X Halo Infinite cutscenes was running at 60fps, while Call of Duty Black Ops runs at 30fps CGI which makes this comparison irrelevant.

Nah, next gen COD is meant to be 4K120fps, so we dont know what res the cutscenes run at. Halo's cutscene was a 'target render' and there is no confirmation it was running at 60fps either.

Reindeer

Nah, next gen COD is meant to be 4K120fps, so we dont know what res the cutscenes run at. Halo's cutscene was a 'target render' and there is no confirmation it was running at 60fps either.
They said 4K and 120fps, not 4K120. You not doing 4K120 on a 10 tflop console. There will probably be a performance mode to run the game at 120fps at lower resolution (maybe dynamic 4K at best) and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoviDon

Looks great and 120 fps/raytraced 60 options is amazing! And also, good day everyone. Nothing like a warm and sweet cup of delicious tears to start your morning I'll tell you what!

MilkLizard

HEALTH did a better cover of that song for the Atomic Blonde soundtrack. That‘s pretty much all I got from that trailer.

Data Ghost

Thoughts so far:
  1. Pricing is too high for what might be a run of the mill generic COD game.
  2. Doesn't look as promising as Modern Warfare.
  3. Graphics look alright.
  4. The trailer was running on a PS5, so if I do buy it I may sacrifice the expected timed Sony exclusives for a potentially better technical experience on the Xbox SX (teh extra flops innit)
  5. I'll still be focusing on Warzone with the next gen consoles and am more excited about any technical improvements we may see there.

Top Bottom