• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Ghosts Next-Gen Gameplay

Sojgat

Not next gen enough. 360 version will do fine for me. Also the most boring demo that they have ever given for COD.

zma1013

COD_Ghosts_Control_Config.jpg

I find it hilarious (and sad, actually) that everyone always complains that "COD NOOBZ, MINDLESS SHOOTER" and then they show the new one with much slower, methodical, borderline stealth in some instances gameplay and everyone now yells "BORING!"

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...

That's not it. It's because the gameplay is completely artificial. You're just following somebody. All of the situations are clearly manipulated to trick you into thinking you're doing something badass, when you're barely playing the game at all. It is exactly, if not more mindless than before because the player has absolutely no agency.

Knoxcore

There is nothing in that reveal that convinces me I need to buy a XBO or PS4 to play CoD: Ghosts. I could do so on my current gen hardware and get the same experience.

While I understand this is a post-apocalyptic world, it looks grey and bland. We only saw two missions, so maybe there will be more variety.

Finally, comared to Killzone: Shadow Fall, this looks like crap (yes, I realize Shadow Fall's gameplay was dull).

Mikey Jr.

I wish there was some interviews with people who actively buy and play every COD.

What keeps them hooked? Don't they get burned out? There have been 7 Call of Dutys in 7 years, and for the most part, have had the same formula. Does Ghosts excite them?

I have played the series, but it was jsut the same thing over and over again. I put in 30 hours of Black Ops 2 and finally gave up. My brain completely gave up. It was done. Call of Duty for me was officially dead. I cant take anymore.

But every year, it sells like gangbusters. Millions upon millions of copies sold and doesn't seem to be slowing down. It is an IP that for some reason, does not suffer from franchise fatigue. It really is something remarkable.

Knoxcore

That's not it. It's because the gameplay is completely artificial. You're just following somebody. All of the situations are clearly manipulated to trick you into thinking you're doing something badass, when you're barely playing the game at all. It is exactly, if not more mindless than before because the player has absolutely no agency of their own.

Well lets be honest, most people buy CoD for the multiplayer.

I wish there was some interviews with people who actively buy and play every COD.

What keeps them hooked? Don't they get burned out? There have been 7 Call of Dutys in 7 years, and for the most part, have had the same formula. Does Ghosts excite them?
I can tell you about my friend, he's a dudebro shooter lover. He thinks CoD have great story-telling, and CoD:Ghost looks good even though he played BF3 on PC. He's the living proof that opinions can be wrong, oh and, did I mention he adores Resident Evil 6?

Well lets be honest, most people buy CoD for the multiplayer.

That's no excuse for shit campaign. The series has had numerous memorable campaigns, most of which had no reliance whatsoever on these idiotic "follow me and do exactly what I say" sections. And those games also had great multiplayer. In fact, when the campaign started to decline (MW2 and its unbelievably terrible "story"), the attitude of the multiplayer was also affected. It became incredibly sloppy, entirely focused on a reckless sense of "cool" and treating everything as a toy with no regard whatsoever for balance.

Knoxcore

I only have room for one FPS in my gaming library and any given point. Call of Duty: Ghosts definitely is a no buy for me.

dummydecoy

I like it! Lol lots of haters in this thread, probably people with 0.2 KDRs.
I hope the MP has some semblance to the stealthy theme of the SP where people can't just run around with akimbo weapons and shit.

Eh, who am I kidding.

BTW, can you really fire SMGs underwater?

Deadbeat

Banned
The best thing going for the game right now outside of the dog is the theme. They got that shit locked down.

There better be a game mode where its everyone underwater using APSs.

nomis

^ t'was a joke yo.
you have low KDR don't you?

Nah it's good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS_underwater_rifle

Underwater, ordinary-shaped bullets are inaccurate and very short-range. The APS fires a steel bolt caliber 5.66 mm (specially designed for this rifle and is often mistaken as 5.56 mm) and 120 mm (4.75 in) long. Its magazine holds 26 cartridges. The APS's barrel is not rifled; the fired projectile is kept in line by hydrodynamic effects. As a result, the APS is somewhat inaccurate when fired out of water.

I'm loving the COD hate on this board. Every year the same group voices their disgust with the game, and every year the game comes out and sells millions, and every year people complain that call of duty is ruining video games lol. I'll probably get it, depending on how good MP is. I've played a lot of black ops 2 so if ghosts does so,e things differently, I'll bite.

People still care about Call of Duty, the mind boggles.

Yeah, how dare people like a game that you don't.

Fantasmo

I'm loving the COD hate on this board. Every year the same group voices their disgust with the game, and every year the game comes out and sells millions, and every year people complain that call of duty is ruining video games lol. I'll probably get it, depending on how good MP is. I've played a lot of black ops 2 so if ghosts does so,e things differently, I'll bite.

Yeah, how dare people like a game that you don't.

So you liked the campaign reveal? Because that's what this thread is about.
And dude, this is Call of Duty TEN, and part 2 came out on the 360. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the only thing that comes close is Mega Man on the NES. And not even Mega Man managed EIGHT games in one generation.

sflufan

Banned
I'm not sure which one bored me more: these CoD: Ghosts videos or Battlefield 4's 17 minute "Fishing in Baku" cure for insomnia.

Am I blind or is there no high-quality video available? Always amazing how multi-million-dollar companies don't get this right. Must be really hard to put some high-bitrate video files on a server.

Yagharek

CoD campaigns are entertaining in the same way an episode of 24 is/was - it appeals to the inner right wing hawk in all of us. Tom Clancy style subterfuge and throwing away all sorts of moral quandaries in a Machiavellian world war fantasy.

That is fine, entertainment like that has its place.

Just don't go in expecting a treatise on the morality of warfare, and enjoy the ride.

Demon Ice

Banned
I find it hilarious (and sad, actually) that everyone always complains that "COD NOOBZ, MINDLESS SHOOTER" and then they show the new one with much slower, methodical, borderline stealth in some instances gameplay and everyone now yells "BORING!"

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...

Except it isn't real stealth and it isn't anything new. It's the EXACT same type of follow the leader through the scripted event pseudo stealth that they made famous with the ghillie mission in COD4 and now they've shoehorned it into every game since then.

Oooh look, this time you're underwater, this time you're a dog, big whoop, it's the same thing. You do what the guy tells you to do and you watch your AI friend snipe the ones they don't feel like making you sneak by. How intense.

demolitio

I like it! Lol lots of haters in this thread, probably people with 0.2 KDRs.
I hope the MP has some semblance to the stealthy theme of the SP where people can't just run around with akimbo weapons and shit.

Eh, who am I kidding.

Just special weapons that are meant for underwater combat. They have a lot of disadvantages though (historically speaking so not necessarily in the COD world). Most weapons used by SOCOM are meant to be able to be submerged underwater but still fire as soon as they get to the surface. If underwater weaponry is needed, it's basically only for a specific purpose that they prepared for and they have very little range.

ArmA 3 actually has a neat underwater rifle and it handles as expected. It's kind of neat to see it in any game but doing some of the missions the SEALs were basically founded for in ArmA 3 is extremely satisfying. I love sabotaging boats and clearing channels while looking at the pretty fishies that REACT you! The fact that it's an actual major gameplay change in ArmA 3 and not just a new environment for the same engagements is what makes it great.

I just really hope Ghosts switches it up for MP. I'm not saying abandon every principle, but stop giving us mild flavor changes to the same game. Black Ops 2 was a start but they still need to switch it up a bit and if they truly believe in themselves, then they should know that they can create the magic again that they conceived with COD 4.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
jeeeeesus that was terrible. i felt nothing watching that. i never want to follow someone in a game ever again. infact i literally felt....meh.

jadedm17

I have played the series, but it was jsut the same thing over and over again. I put in 30 hours of Black Ops 2 and finally gave up. My brain completely gave up. It was done. Call of Duty for me was officially dead. I cant take anymore.

But every year, it sells like gangbusters. Millions upon millions of copies sold and doesn't seem to be slowing down. It is an IP that for some reason, does not suffer from franchise fatigue. It really is something remarkable.
I only buy it because everyone I know, from my 16yo nephew to boss, plays it. I'm a victim. I don't understand it either.

As far as my 16yo nephew who's played the last 4 is concerned I think he just bought it, became good because he had nothing else to play and nothing else to really do as a kid, and continues to do so to show his dominance. I don't think he even enjoys it most of the time, as thats also usually my experience. I just like shooters and everyone plays COD. Meh.

Toxi

Banned
Equating immersion with graphical fidelity bugs me.

I feel more atmosphere from Metroid Prime, a Gamecube title from over a decade ago, then a game like Call of Duty: Ghosts will ever provide.

demolitio

Did this dude just name HDR a next-gen feature?

I find it more insulting that they keep making these stupid statements as if they're the first to do it and it's only possible on this generation. If they were more honest and humble about any of it, they wouldn't get so many critics over the graphics. I know this forum is in the minority here, but to pass some of this stuff off as groundbreaking tech that puts their team a level above the rest is where it gets absurd. The fish statement still makes me laugh.

This would be a better PR statement that still talks your devs up without blatantly insulting the viewers:
"With the power of the new consoles, we're able to bring a lot more tech to our game that wasn't possible for us previously while maintaining the 60FPS that makes our games so much fun to play."

I'm not writing this game off or anything (although the SP looks like nothing different than previous games just with more hooks to make it feel new. My decision comes with the MP basically. If it's just another minor variation, this is definitely the first one I won't get. I always end up buying them to play with my best friend who's deployed making it basically one of our few interactions today, but even he gave up on BO2 rather quickly. The point system was neat and all that, but they made the game even EASIER by making it all SMG's and shotguns and all hip-fire basically destroying any chance of variety or intense encounters. The majority of the "pros" all run around with the same gun and I could never bring myself to do it although I could still do really well with other weapons. The SMG spraying turned my friend, a rather average player, into a competitor for first place on the scoreboard while I was purposely gimping myself just to try and have fun and make it a challenge.

They managed to turn the ocean into a corridor shooter

And that's another thing. They keep talking about this underwater gameplay when it's literally the same old encounters just rehashed in a new environment but makes no difference. There's still very basic paths and the same gameplay as if you were on land which defeats the purpose. That's why I mentioned ArmA 3's underwater gameplay because it actually added to the game and felt different than the usual encounters.

Fezan

just saw these gameplay bits.
wow the dog caused 4 people to break doors to run for their lives. this here gentlemen is true nextgen

Javes

Yes the demo was quite lackluster but honestly the only reason the developers pay so much attention to the SP is because it markets the game better, right? More generally speaking, Call of Duty and Battlefield are pretty much the only two mass market viable multiplayer FPS left. EA's attempts with BF3 to dethrone CoD as the top FPS franchise was silly because they are two totally different playing games. Combined arms FPS and a twitch gun-on-gun FPS. I'm sure both games MP will be perfectly fine.

Top Bottom