• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Ghosts Next-Gen Gameplay

nib95

Banned
Quick thoughts

- Graphics pretty good, but without next gen wow factor
- Lighting looks baked and somewhat flat
- Animations are good but many need work
- How do they control the dog to make it look and go exactly where they want?
- Dog breaks immersion and realism. A room full of armed guards run from it?
- Some textures are jank
- What's the point in showing ultra wide? Smaller viewing, further masking imperfections.
- If you can't play in ultra wide so what's the point
+ Great soundtrack
+ Decent cinematography

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yes I have and apparently it's weird to expect progress in this series. Let's just concede to the fact that they live up to their low targets and applaud the results!

You can create on-rails sections that aren't depressingly slow and uneventful.

Just saying, it's standard. CoD is popular for the multiplayer. Why invest any more in the single player than the need to when everyone goes for the multiplayer anyway?

Rising_Hei

next gen? really?

Killzone and BF4, even 3 blows it away

And ignoring the fact of ridiculous scenes like the dog breaking a window...

HfJJE6D.png

How do they have the balls to say this?

Darknight

That's some fuel for a diminishing returns discussion. Cross gen games will always look 1.5, I'm sure we'll see some next gen leaps tomorrow.

Nope. This is Acti using their old ass engine with a little tweaks here and there. This is not a "next gen" game at all. COD games were always shit looking on consoles so I expect the COD devs to remain as lame as usual concerning graphics/tech.

I would wait till we see Sony first party or some Xbox 1st party games and see what they come up with.

bj00rn_

Banned
ArmA 3

check and mate

When I saw you post I thought "Shit, can't believe I missed that" and booted up Arma 3 Alpha and dived in.. And I don't get it, Arma 3 underwater looks nothing like that COD video. So what are you talking about? And yes; I'm running Arma 3 in Ultra.

Anyway, I thought that COD video looked great. I'm actually kind of puzzled by how it's received in here..

I asked this in another thread but its dead now...

How do you guys think sales of this game will split like?

Surely current gen will sell more, but how much more?

Anyone care enough to try guessing?

Quick thoughts

- Some textures are jank
- What's the point in showing ultra wide? Smaller viewing, further masking imperfections.

Don't worry, the endless waves of enemies running directly into our fire will put the shroud of realism back over our eyes.

Tomat

I asked this in another thread but its dead now...

How do you guys think sales of this game will split like?

Surely current gen will sell more, but how much more?

Anyone care enough to try guessing?

70-30, current to next. Just a guess.

dokish

Banned
One thing that really bothers me is that every Call of Duty (4 and forward) have characters have the SAME ANNOYING BADASS-HUSKY-COWBOY VOICE.

Why can't they talk like normal people?

Acheteedo

Quick thoughts

- Some textures are jank

You think so? Looked bad to me, it was often very jumpy, like the dog leaping through the window, it's like there are frames missing or something (see gif in the post below!). BF4 looked very smooth in contrast.

peakish

Graphically at least there was a ton of stuff lying around, looked pretty alright to me. Not BF4 or Killzone 4-level but eh. Sad thing is all of these games look as boring as they possibly can.

Before the first "mark target, fire" sequence my main thoughts we're that the talk about "they're using sonar, stay low" and stuff sounded super cool - but you're still just following a guy instead of using this knowledge to carve your own way around the map. What a waste. Then again I'm definitely not the target market for these games.

TedNindo

Hey Activision. Why don't you invest some of that mountain of money back into the games?

Might want to look at what developers like Rockstar do.

Darknight

When I saw you post I thought "Shit, can't believe I missed that" and booted up Arma 3 Alpha and dived in.. And I don't get it, Arma 3 underwater looks nothing like that COD video. So what are you talking about? And yes; I'm running Arma 3 in Ultra.

Anyway, I thought that COD video looked great. I'm actually kind of puzzled by how it's received in here..

I would say Arma runs on an open world, right? Or atleast really big maps. Compared to COD levels. They are just that, levels that are pre-scripted. So COD devs can bake and make a really nice underwater set piece "level" with everything scripted like the fish etc to make it look nice.

While ARMA, im guessing just has water environments within their big maps that may not get as many details since the map is huge to begin with. COD:G only has to deal with prebaked levels so they are not comparable i would say.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As expected not the Next Gen show piece. Understandable for a cross gen title. Remember Call of Duty 2? That didn't exactly show off Next Gen graphics at the 360 launch as well.

BigBoss

Props to Infinity Ward, they managed to turn the vast, wide-open ocean into a linear hallway, that takes skill.

Tomat

Hey Activision. Why don't you invest some of that mountain of money back into the games?

Might want to look at what developers like Rockstar do.

They'll do that as soon as the game on the current engine stops making assloads of money. Using what they've got right now on an old engine sounds like it would be a minimum investment. No need to spend anymore money when you don't actually have to.

Maybe that'll change when great looking games start rolling out and people see what everyone else is doing.
lmao

I'm discussing Call of Duty and Call of Duty alone. Not any other war fighters that have been shown to date or any other games that are multiplatform for the Xbone one or Ps4. The scanned models IF presented during the reveal didn't look that impressive. The videos (forget the 360p) don't make the character movements or effects look anything special.

i agree with you on that. But you seemed to be talking about more than just CoD.

Raide

Needs MP mode where players control the dog and it does the scanning and intel for the rest of the team. Basic map detail but no v-sats or rubbish like that. Team needs to rely on the dog to win.

zoukka

Just saying, it's standard. CoD is popular for the multiplayer. Why invest any more in the single player than the need to when everyone goes for the multiplayer anyway?

I'm not losing any sleep over it and I understand why they would just repeat themselves each game from a financial point of view. Just pointing out the obvious I guess.

Tomat

Needs MP mode where players control the dog and it does the scanning and intel for the rest of the team. Basic map detail but no v-sats or rubbish like that. Team needs to rely on the dog to win.

Better idea. Predator Drones now shoot dogs. You control them down to the ground.

A lot of these criticisms are valid but let's be real this campaign, like all CoDs since MW1, is gonna be one hell of a ride and well-worth the 5-8 hours or however long.

peakish

Oh, that dog gameplay looked even more thoroughly uninteresting, I was hoping that it could bring some extra tactical element into the game but apparently not. Then it ended with scripted slo-mo shooting. Wow. I do try to not hate on games not meant for me, CoD in particular since it already receives so much flack on forums, but there it is. Three strikes in a row for next-gen shooters.

graboids

definitely looked better than the past CoD games graphically, but feels like I've already played this game... multiple times. Playing CoJ Gunslinger this weekend reminds me that I still love shooters, just growing tired of CoD, BF and their modern shooter friends. To each his/her own I guess. Hope this event today means we don't see this game at all tomorrow...

Top Bottom