• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: World at War Videos (Wii)

Jaagen

I do think we all can agree on that this game is a good foundation to build the next Wii CoD games on(Activision wanted annual releases, didn't they?), as the engine is up and running solidly on the little white box. I think that "CoD 6"(asuming it's coming for Wii as well) will be a game like GH: World Tour is today. Fully featured as it's HD cousins.

Scrubking

Jaagen said:
I think that "CoD 6"(asuming it's coming for Wii as well) will be a game like GH: World Tour is today. Fully featured as it's HD cousins.

I really hope so. There really was no excuse to leave out modes like CTF, etc. Maybe they didn't have time, maybe they didn't care about putting in that kind of effort - whatever the reason it should have been there.

andthebeatgoeson

Damn, I'm interested. Guess I'll grab it tomorrow. I've been waiting for a good FPS on Wii.

BTW, I do have a 360 but I'm just interested in the Wii Controls for a good FPS. And I'm not interested in a lot of multiplayer nor racist live.

maxmars

Since we seem to be a merry brigade enjoying this game, shall we exchange friend codes?

ATM I'm playing FIFA and this daily, but FIFA is laggy online so I'm pretty much only playing this on the net (and FIFA offline).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
maxmars said:
Since we seem to be a merry brigade enjoying this game, shall we exchange friend codes?

I was thinking of starting a thread for FCs but figured there wouldn't be enough people here playing the Wii version to need a thread. My code is 3094-0518-4676.

maxmars

Ysiadmihi said:
I was thinking of starting a thread for FCs but figured there wouldn't be enough people here playing the Wii version to need a thread. My code is 3094-0518-4676.

Will add you and whoever posts FC this evening when I get home.

andthebeatgoeson

So, it's a decent Wii game. Of course, it's still Call of Duty, so the AI is mediocre and the weapon selection is not that great. I don't know why I get suckered by these COD games. All COD4 was just the same type of gameplay with a new coat of spit. I feel better with the gun play of Counter Strike, after all these years. Why can't they use a decent cover system? My men can but I can't?

And why do people criticize casual games but not this? I got suckered.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Maxmars what do you think about the game (Wii), is it worthy if I'm not going to bother with online? Mixed reports on the graphics as well (color me surprise, it's Wii game alright!), but are textures as terribile as other Gaffers have been sayin'?
I'm afraid of the framerate, Prime3 was great because of the controls+60fps combo, not because just one of the two.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Maxmars what do you think about the game (Wii), is it worthy if I'm not going to bother with online? Mixed reports on the graphics as well (color me surprise, it's Wii game alright!), but are textures as terribile as other Gaffers have been sayin'?
I'm afraid of the framerate, Prime3 was great because of the controls+60fps combo, not because just one of the two.

I realize you're not asking me but...

Some textures in the single player are alright, but they're mostly pretty awful looking. The lighting, smoke and explosions are they only things that look good in the Wii version. The framerate is pretty bad too, dipping into nearly unplayable in more than a few spots.

If you're not playing online, I'd try to play on another console or PC. The great Wii controls don't mean much at 5fps : /

andthebeatgoeson

Dash Kappei said:
I know you didn't ask me but I'll respond: What do you notice when you play games? What it feels like or what it looks like? I can tell the difference between this and 360 game. I actually scooped up COD4 on 360, along with this for Wii. Sounds stupid, right? But I actually wanted to try out the Wii controls. I guess, graphics aren't that important to me. I still notice them but I want something more out of FPS. I think I'll plug through both of them.

It's an average game. Both with COD4 and COD:WAW. I'm just plugging thru because I want some mindless shooting but all CODs haven't been up to snuff in gameplay, on single player. It's shoot, move to next spot, shoot some more. No strategy, no nothing. Just extreme casual crap. But, I'm not here for anything more. Just shoot and knock a few people down. If you want graphics, you shouldn't probably get the Wii version. Unless all you have is the Wii version. Then you are limited to very few FPS. And you're screwed.

J-Rock

Banned
I'm enjoying the Wii version. Best FPS on the Wii so far, imo. Single player is fun but I'm enjoying online far more. It's lacking in areas(we all know that) but it's a decent port. I've had no major lag and only minor framerate issues. I've prefered the Wiimote for FPS games lately so that's the main draw for me personally. If your wanting a more polished Wii FPS then you may want to hold out for The Conduit. If you just want to play a decent online Wii FPS right now...then CoD should do the trick.

Scrubking

I've been having an all day marathon dominating on everyone. I've gone up like 5 levels today. I've brought down such utter devastation in some games that I surprised myself.

Forkball

I rented it and I'm enjoying it a lot. This one mission has me really frustrated so I decided to check out the online multiplayer and I'm surprised how quick it is. It takes no time to get into an 8 player match and there is zero lag or issues at all. All Wii games should have online gameplay like this.

maxmars

Dash Kappei said:

Uh I'm only playing the online part, I think I have seen two missions at most on the single player campaign. I sincerely don't know if it's worth or not for you, certainly feels like a rollercoaster -- rush from A to B while everything around you screams, blows up, dies. Nothing to do with MP3.

Graphics are not as good as MP3 either, I'm speaking strictly about art direction. Framerate is great online, textures are nothing special (but I don't care much abouth them). Offline, in the two missions I've played, situation is the same (I haven't seen the orrible dips in framerate)

The multiplayer is great when played with the zapper and that alone is worth the price for me. If you don't play that, I think you can skip this. At most rent it, I think you may finish the campaign in a couple of days.

Scrubking

gamingeek said:
I put a whole load of impressions and Wii specific screens in a thread here:

http://thevgpress.com/forumtopics/call-of-duty-world-at-war-wii-a-game-at-war-with-itself_39.html

It's a pretty decent game, although my first impressions weren't good.

Pretty much disagree with everything you said. Besides it looks like you don't like WW2 or CoD games.

gamingeek said:
I am sick to death of using archaic guns with 5 or 10 bullet magazines, sick of aiming through realistically proportioned tiny metal circles and tired of fighting spawning enemies

gamingeek

Scrubking said:
Pretty much disagree with everything you said. Besides it looks like you don't like WW2 or CoD games.

Is this Scrubking from the Ask Capcom boards? This is GGWeekly from there. Hey there.

As I said my initial impressions were not great but if you check out the rest of the thread, my impression changed. I like the game a lot, despite its frustrations. And despite being tired of WW2, I found this enjoyable and even fresh feeling in some situations. Even the controls were good once you bed down.

Scrubking

I can definitely understand being tired of WW2. I lucked out in that area since I had been itching for a WW2 game not having played the previous MoH's or CoD's.

Anyway, time to go back online and dominate on everyone again.

gamingeek

Scrubking said:
I can definitely understand being tired of WW2. I lucked out in that area since I had been itching for a WW2 game not having played the previous MoH's or CoD's.

Anyway, time to go back online and dominate on everyone again.

I'm not a big online gamer. I played a 4 player match and enjoyed it. Has anyone had a 16 player match? What's it like and how does it hold up? Lag and framerate etc?

Scrubking

gamingeek said:
I'm not a big online gamer. I played a 4 player match and enjoyed it. Has anyone had a 16 player match? What's it like and how does it hold up? Lag and framerate etc?

There's only 4x4 and it's extremely fun. You'll occasionally get a lagger or a disconnect, but nothing major.

Dash Kappei

skinnyrattler said:
It's an average game. Both with COD4 and COD:WAW. I'm just plugging thru because I want some mindless shooting but all CODs haven't been up to snuff in gameplay, on single player. It's shoot, move to next spot, shoot some more. No strategy, no nothing. Just extreme casual crap. But, I'm not here for anything more. Just shoot and knock a few people down. If you want graphics, you shouldn't probably get the Wii version. Unless all you have is the Wii version. Then you are limited to very few FPS. And you're screwed.

Well, I've got a 360 as well but even if I enjoy good graphics (though the most important thing for me is art direction, thus the best game's gfx of this gen for me is MP3, not Gears 2 or something)... the only thing I find very important on "my" gfx are the textures and framerate.
I've ordered the other day COD4 as well, so you and I are on the same boat :lol
If I have a chance of the same fps on Wii I'd rather get it for Nintedo's console since dual analog fps controls give me motion sickness, I'm constantly fighting against them... only thing that makes it better is when the game features a perfect (and still challenging) lock-on aiming mode. This is why I'm giving up on Bioshock even if I reckon the gameàs really good. since it gives me nausea :-/

Mindless shooting and blowing up thing is what I'm looking for, Black was my favourite FPS of last gen, how does this one compare?

Zzoram said:
Why would you ever consider it on Wii when you have a 360/PS3?

You know, opinions? Different tastes and priorities?
Read above, most of us HATE inferior dual analog controls because it's:

less precise
constantly fighting against the aiming reticule and with the turning/look-around speed
less immersive
less FUN

That's a lot more important TO ME than better graphics/online, obviously the less featured version has still to be worth it, since having all those things less the Wii-controls isn't worth it to me (and others).

I am another one who can't stand Dual Analog for FPS. I love the Wii version of this game. I have a PC also and could have purchased the PC version but I actually like the Wii pointer best for FPS. It is more emersive when your wrist moves in a way most closely matching aiming a gun rather than moving your hand along a horizontal plane over a mouse. Plus my Wii is hooked up to the home theather so I get immersed by the surround sound as well. (And I hate to say this as more of a PC gamer but the comfy recliner chair is nice too when I slide it to the center of the room.)

Dash Kappei

Does anybody have the PAL version?

Does it have multi language options?
I honestly care only about english, but I wouldn't want to end up with an italian only dub if I decide to bite paying for it at the store instead of pickin' it up online from the UK.

Ydahs

I'm not sure if I've asked this, but my internet is at 28.8kbps until next month and is taking far too long to load.

How much better is the controlling than CoD3? CoD3 had very average controlling and just felt awful in my opinion. Does this game have slightly better controlling or vastly superior controlling. MP3 controlling would be fine, but anything vastly inferior would turn me off.

I'd rent it and give it a try but that's not possible in Australia, or where I live. It's either CoD5Wii or Shaun White!

sprocket

Banned
Zzoram said:
Why would you ever consider it on Wii when you have a 360/PS3?

because its a different experience. The wii controls give you more of a sense of anxiety shits blowing up all around you guys are shooting at you but you still need a cool hand to pick of the guy at the torrent gun.

There are parts about the wii versiont hat better than the others and vise versa IMO.

But if all you are into is graphics and being able to boast about you TEAMS graphics like most CORE GAMERS here do. The no the Wii version is not for you.

Its funny .. most hardcore gamer don't even care about the games. just if their console has better AA in a game.

scitek

Ydahs said:
I'm not sure if I've asked this, but my internet is at 28.8kbps until next month and is taking far too long to load.

How much better is the controlling than CoD3? CoD3 had very average controlling and just felt awful in my opinion. Does this game have slightly better controlling or vastly superior controlling. MP3 controlling would be fine, but anything vastly inferior would turn me off.

I'd rent it and give it a try but that's not possible in Australia, or where I live. It's either CoD5Wii or Shaun White!

To be honest, looking at Shaun White's reviews, I might go with that instead. I like CoD5, but Shaun White is supposed to be a lot of fun.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jaagen said:
I do think we all can agree on that this game is a good foundation to build the next Wii CoD games on(Activision wanted annual releases, didn't they?), as the engine is up and running solidly on the little white box. I think that "CoD 6"(asuming it's coming for Wii as well) will be a game like GH: World Tour is today. Fully featured as it's HD cousins.
I think sub-par sales will be a big reason for either not having as many features or not having a Wii version of CoD6 at all.

Look at how many copies of CoD4 were sold for the PS3 and 360. Almost none of those people are going to be buying the Wii version of WaW. It's going to get murdered and buried at retail.

gamingeek

Ydahs said:

The actual regular movement aiming and moving around is better than MP3 and probably on par with Medal of Honor Heroes 2. But the Aiming down sights (ADS) mode is notibly slower than MOHH2, almost laggy. You get used to it and eventually the horizontal movement is fine but adjusting on the fly vertical movement with ADS is painful.

It's good, solid control, it's just that MOHH2 has exceptionally accurate and fast controls along with a couple of neat tricks like analogue lean and rotating zoom for sniper aiming.

Dash Kappei

Ydahs said:

LOL, I was in the same exact situation (no rent and decision for Cod5 versus SWS) and I wenr for Shaun, it's so damn good, I'm glad I gave it a chance just because of the Balance Board support!

I'll be buying Cod5 too, though not right now becuase I'm too much on the fence to justify paying full price.

basik

acti is playing commercials for the wii version on spike tv, I've seen it twice now while watching star wars tonight. Its the same as the other commercial except the scenes with the japanese soldiers are all in wii graphics and players are shown with zappers.

this should help sales a lot if they keep playing it, I remember seeing red steel commercials all the time on spike tv and that sold a lot.

basik

from the other thread:

heres how I have my wii controls, I've been kicking ass since I changed to this:

camera response: steep
camera turn speed: fast

under advanced:

dead zone: small
ads dead zone (aiming down site): small
ads camera turn speed: moderate
lookspring: disabled

under options:

aim assist: disabled

Scrubking

basik said:
acti is playing commercials for the wii version on spike tv, I've seen it twice now while watching star wars tonight. Its the same as the other commercial except the scenes with the japanese soldiers are all in wii graphics and players are shown with zappers.

this should help sales a lot if they keep playing it, I remember seeing red steel commercials all the time on spike tv and that sold a lot.

I just saw the commercials too. I wonder who's flipping the bill.

I can't help but be disappointed in the lack of Capture the Flag. I know COD3 and 4 didn't have it but it was by far the best mode in Heroes 2.

Scrubking

For those who care, Treyarch is blaming the Wii hardware for the lack of splitscreen co-op... and I guess everything else they left out. Also apparently the mediocre visuals use up all of the Wii's resources (I guess he hasn't seen The Conduit).

Treyarch said:
we have teams of engineers that have investigated online co-op for the Wii, and it simply is not physically possible with the Wii hardware and the engine we have running on the platform. The graphical accomplishments of CoD:WW utilize more of the system resources available on the Wii than other games in order to look as good as it does.

Scrubking said:
For those who care, Treyarch is blaming the Wii hardware for the lack of splitscreen co-op... and I guess everything else they left out. Also apparently the mediocre visuals use up all of the Wii's resources (I guess he hasn't seen The Conduit).

Treyarch does not know how to handle the Wii-Hardware, they never tried. Wondering how anybody can say that the Wii-Version looks good regarding those ugly textures. Those awful textures are one of the worsts I have seen on Wii.

Treyarch should just stay away from Wii...

Tab0203

It does look pretty good considering the size of the levels and the amount of stuff that's going on (bodies stay in the level, draw distance, explosions/lighting/particle effects).

The missions are fun, the controls are great and hit detection is accurate, blending animations and believable ragdoll physics. I love this game.

21ks8.gif
5mwmkk.gif

2nrestt.gif

2rzryh0.gif

2s7axwp.gif

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Has anyone noticed the lag steadily getting worse online? Before I had to lead the enemy slightly, which was annoying but tolerable. Now it's nearly impossible to hit anyone who is moving. Is it just me?

yoopoo

Banned
Yeah this game looks good in gifs and on youtube footage - but then you actually see the game running on a tv...holy hell o_O

Disgusting looking game - like someone puked on all the textures. Hope no one ever makes another game with this Wii engine.

Scrubking

Ysiadmihi said:
Has anyone noticed the lag steadily getting worse online? Before I had to lead the enemy slightly, which was annoying but tolerable. Now it's nearly impossible to hit anyone who is moving. Is it just me?

I haven't noticed, but it does seem like more people are going online. There seems to be a surge of low level players whenever I go on now.

@Tab

I love the game too. I think it's great and play it all the time, but there's no denying the fact that a lot of the textures are bad and the game is missing a lot of stuff for no good reason.

Top Bottom