• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC match - and exceed - the PS5 experience?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Curious to see how the "It can play fine on a HDD" group are going to spin this.
Assuming you dont only have 8GB of RAM and a Ryzen 3100 4 core CPU paired to a woefully underpowered RX570 with 4GB of VRAM from an eon ago, an HDD will play the game just fine.

So no need for us to spin anything.....cept our Hard Disk Drives!
Me

Medium settings strikes again.
MediumStation 5.

Pedro Motta

How do we know the devs didn’t do a poor job with the HDD implementation?

Will Ferrell Loser GIF

Midn1ght

Also, apparently RT shadows is really good most of the time but there's also rare cases where they look really weird and bad.

t7GJt7m.jpg

The game looks really great other than that and seems to run decently but needs a few fixes (like every game post launch) and you need more horsepower than the Spiderman games. Waiting to see someone test it on a 3060 Ti, hoping for some 1440p DLSS with some RT.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

What will happen if the ps5 version run the game with RT for shadows, reflections and ambient occlusion all at once like the PC ver?

tlNeHpd.jpg

iq9jKd0.jpg

Last edited:

Three

HDD with a shitty PC. Wanna see a good PC with HDD.
It's a daft point though, with double the RAM of a PS5 you can load the next portal level entirely in RAM before you even have to jump. You can have the two worlds in RAM at all times and not even have to transfer anything from the HDD when jumping. Doesn't take away from the fact that the SSD made these things possible on a PS5.

S0ULZB0URNE

Assuming you dont only have 8GB of RAM and a Ryzen 3100 4 core CPU paired to a woefully underpowered RX570 with 4GB of VRAM from an eon ago, an HDD will play the game just fine.

So no need for us to spin anything.....cept our Hard Disk Drives!

MediumStation 5.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I always doubted it can beat actual decompression hardware in PS5, but it's better than CPU loading for sure.
The game has a few quirks and bugs such as broken AF, incorrect RT opacity, and bugged RT shadows. Let's not talk about things we don't actually know. Could have nothing to do with decompression for all we know.

Skifi28

There are plenty of games that run like crap on an HDD. But people were trying to use this game in particular that instantly loads entire levels during gameplay to prove that it's all lies and PCs are always superior to consoles even when using ancient components they probably shouldn't. What can I say, I always thought it was a pretty weird hill to die on.

Last edited:

omegasc

IMHO the game wouldn't have been greelit like that on a PS4, and people would shit all over its loading times if it was. A lot of good will needed to say it's acceptable now. Maybe back in the days of when Soldier of Fortune was ported to Dreamcast.

Midn1ght

its insane how much worse the textures are than on PS5. something definitely went wrong during the porting process
The textures in this case just load faster on PS5, when fully loaded on PC, they're the same or better than on PS5. Still a problem tho.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There are plenty of games that run like crap on an HDD. But people were trying to use this game in particular that instantly loads entire levels during gameplay to prove that it's all lies and PCs are always superior to consoles even when using ancient components they probably shouldn't. What can I say, I always thought it was a pretty weird hill to die on.
honestly whatever. at the end of the day a 1tb sata ssd on Amazon is like 40-50 dollars. No one was really banking on this considering how easy it is to just get a SSD. Hard disks are an outdated storage medium these days and most PC gamers at the very least have a decent SSD in their PC.

Gaiff

I haven't really noticed GPU usage spikes when going through portals so far so I'm wondering what the impact of DirectStorage GPU decompression is.

I have go to the office now but it's a solid port so far. Still needs some issues ironed out but after suffering through disasters like Jedi Survivor, this feels like a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

Zathalus

So another PC port with issues and everyone is once again praising the SSD of the PS5? Did we not learn anything from The Last of Us PC port? Looks like the game needs a few patches before any conclusion can be drawn.

Low Res textures, broken BVH for RT, crashes, and controller issues all point to another bad Sony PC port (which seems to be a trend for them).

Gaiff

So another PC port with issues and everyone is once again praising the SSD of the PS5? Did we not learn anything from The Last of Us PC port? Looks like the game needs a few patches before any conclusion can be drawn.

Low Res textures, broken BVH for RT, crashes, and controller issues all point to another bad Sony PC port (which seems to be a trend for them).
It's really not that bad. Most issues are fairly minor. None stops you from enjoying the game.

Mr.Phoenix

So the nonsense that an SSD was not needed and that Sony was lying has been denied, I'm glad, the PC version needs some patches it is still worse than PS5 at times.
and there are still people in denial.
So it runs just fine with longer pauses than an SSD?

The defense rests.
See what I mean?

longer pauses and stuttering when there is absolutely none on a PS5... is not just fine. And proves what they meant by this game won't be possible on the PS4. And while you can play with an HDD isn't going to be a smooth experience. And if you have to throw in 32-64GB of RAM to smoothen it out a bit... that's kind defeating the point isnt it?

Top Bottom