• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC match - and exceed - the PS5 experience?

Zathalus

It's really not that bad. Most issues are fairly minor. None stops you from enjoying the game.
Yeah, it's not on the level of The Last of Us, but it does have a number of performance related issues so drawing any conclusions from that seems silly.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
"The end result is a scalable system that works across a range of PC set-ups and can even operate on a hard drive too - albeit with notable pauses on the portal jumps."

That or crashes:

In the video you'll witness the carnage of what happens when you try to run Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on a launch PS4 512GB HDD - even the very low setting doesn't work and the game eventually crashes.

The only system that could somehow use a HDD was John Linneman's due to 64GB RAM for caching but even that one has stuttering problems.
And apparently Battaglia's system with a 3500MB/s PCIe 3.0 NVMe got hit with low mipmap textures while loading and suffered from low GPU/CPU utilization, i.e. they'd get stuck waiting for the data to come from storage.

In the end, this was just a fail on Nixxes' published PC specs sheet. They should never have included HDDs (or even SATA SSDs), and whomever tries to play the game with those is going to get a pretty bad gaming experience.
I played the PS5 version when it came out and I can't fathom playing this game with seconds-long waiting times every time we hit a portal. Sometimes we need to switch sides like 3 times in the span of 5 seconds.

Skifi28

honestly whatever. at the end of the day a 1tb sata ssd on Amazon is like 40-50 dollars. No one was really banking on this considering how easy it is to just get a SSD. Hard disks are an outdated storage medium these days and most PC gamers at the very least have a decent SSD in their PC.
Exactly, all PC gamers that are the least bit serious about their hobby have an SSD which makes it even weirder why this game in particular had to be the holy grail of HDDs being absolutely fine for gaming even though we all knew they aren't. I'm glad it's behind us and we can finally move on.

While we're at it, people please don't game on dualcore CPUs.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

This is what happens when you pretend to know more than the guy who designed the fucking console architecture.

TxKnight7

exact same problem as with spiderman. in spiderman that game also didnt load proper textures in time in real time cutscenes

rxdXAGE.png

directstorage is a hoax and a joke
Maybe because in spiderman the textures size/quality is higher than the ps5 version
and need more time?

ZgfxotP.jpg

DF
"The biggest upgrade of all? Hardware-accelerated ray tracing support. I'm happy to see a range of granular settings here, but very high exceeds the high setting typically used by PS5. Building geometry boiled down into flat textures on consoles are fully modelled on PC, texture quality is on an altogether different level quality, while the amount of associated world detail - and shadows - also get fully reflected, sometimes where PS5 has no reflections at all. Nixxes also offers PC users the chance to push out draw distance on objects/crowds/traffic beyond the console standard - and that ties into the level of detail/crowd/traffic settings I've already discussed. Just remember that the more you push RT, the higher the load on both GPU and CPU.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Maybe because in spiderman the textures size/quality is higher than the ps5 version
and need more time?

ZgfxotP.jpg

"The biggest upgrade of all? Hardware-accelerated ray tracing support. I'm happy to see a range of granular settings here, but very high exceeds the high setting typically used by PS5. Building geometry boiled down into flat textures on consoles are fully modelled on PC, texture quality is on an altogether different level quality, while the amount of associated world detail - and shadows - also get fully reflected, sometimes where PS5 has no reflections at all. Nixxes also offers PC users the chance to push out draw distance on objects/crowds/traffic beyond the console standard - and that ties into the level of detail/crowd/traffic settings I've already discussed. Just remember that the more you push RT, the higher the load on both GPU and CPU.
Those images are from RT reflections, not the actual gameplay.

Definitely couldn't of been run on the PS4 HDD, which Sony would of had to guarantee if it was released on PS4. Could you use maybe a faster HDD drive and run it at 720p with lower settings? Yes but not a great experience with freezing, frame drops, crashing.
So it can't run on last gen systems due to HDD is definitely true.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This HDD talk is getting seriously irritating. Nobody is running those games on an HDD so who gives a fuck lmao?

Midn1ght

According to Alex they never load in, no matter how long you wait.
Yeah, I've been watching a little more and something's definitely up with textures quality, I don't know if it's because Alex is playing with DLSS but even after staying still for like 10 seconds, they look softer than on PS5. Look at the banner, the floor and even the green dome a little further. Not good.

sSmIfy2.jpg

Gaiff

The textures in this case just load faster on PS5, when fully loaded on PC, they're the same or better than on PS5. Still a problem tho.
Not sure if it's the same but I've had one instance now where I had to reload for the textures to load. I waited 2 minutes and they never loaded.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's a daft point though, with double the RAM of a PS5 you can load the next portal level entirely in RAM before you even have to jump. You can have the two worlds in RAM at all times and not even have to transfer anything from the HDD when jumping. Doesn't take away from the fact that the SSD made these things possible on a PS5.
No one said the opposite. I just want to know how it will perform.

S0ULZB0URNE

and need more time?

ZgfxotP.jpg

That isn't a PS5 game at heart like this.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This HDD talk is getting seriously irritating. Nobody is running those games on an HDD so who gives a fuck lmao?
Imagine them trying to get this game, as it looks today, to run on the PS4.

At best you might have to raise the storage requirement on a console game. And download more ram.

Good luck to that.

Maybe you missed all the hard drive talk when the PC specs were revealed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But it's about owning the braaaaands™, maaaaan! Failed, but watcha gonna do. 🤷‍♀️

It's also a self own for select warriors pushing the HDD retard crusade since they all run SSDs in the gaming PC's, and if not, then you need to GTFO "core gamer" or their favorite box also has a Velocity Architecture™ SSD setup. It's nothing but pure insecure brand war mental gymnastics.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just started watching it and these morons are using Performance RT mode to compare against PC RT MAX settings. I really fucking hope they have a valid reason for this because this is borderline retarded and why everyone hates their guts.

S0ULZB0URNE

The textures not loading in obviously have got nothing to do with the SSD or DirectStorage. It's not delayed loading, they simply never load the correct textures in the first place, no matter how long you wait.
Again it's not a actual PS5 game.
It was built around the PS4 architecture.

Gaiff

Yeah, I've been watching a little more and something's definitely up with textures quality, I don't know if it's because Alex is playing with DLSS but even after staying still for like 10 seconds, they look softer than on PS5. Look at the banner, the floor and even the green dome a little further. Not good.
The game has IGTI on PC. I'll try it out later to see how it stacks up compared to DLSS.

Holammer

Played the extended 40m tutorial bit to the point where Clank is separated from Ratchet.
My old 1080 managed the game admiringly. Native 1440p/60 at medium settings with stable framerate. Unlocking (or setting to 240) gives me 67-70fps. So it's very similar to Sackboy performance wise.
Nixxes should add a 40fps mode, it would give me plenty of overhead to crank it up to high and beyond.

Puscifer

"The end result is a scalable system that works across a range of PC set-ups and can even operate on a hard drive too - albeit with notable pauses on the portal jumps."

Will Smith Reaction GIF
Color me shocked, games aren't even being optimized for Gen 1 Sata SSDs with a consistent 2-300 Mbps read and write speed and you think suddenly they're going to instantly start requiring 3-7000GBPS???? Lmfaooooo

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Start serving the crows boys. Some people are gonna eat a lot of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

S0ULZB0URNE

Returnal was a PS5 game at heart and it ran (and looked) better on PC than on PS5.

The port is just a bit bugged at the moment. A couple patches and hopefully all the texture shit will be gone.
We keep trying to mention other games cause we have no point.

To stay on point and answer the question in the title of this thread....

No the PC doesn't exceed the PS5 experience and in fact comes up short in some cases.

Top Bottom