• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Yeah, it's the one thing that I wish they'd drop, since it's such a pointless thing to bring up and isn't anything that anyone in Canada is ready to tackle in the short or long-term anyway.

Heck, even Harper gave up and started stacking the Senate with Conservatives. It's just a reality of our system, for better or for worse.

I'm not against the idea of abolishing the Senate, but I can't for the life of me see how any government would go about doing it. Elected senate I don't see as being very useful here (based on the gridlock I see south of the border), but I still think there should be more than the judicial branch as a check on the legislative branch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not against the idea of abolishing the Senate, but I can't for the life of me see how any government would go about doing it. Elected senate I don't see as being very useful here (based on the gridlock I see south of the border), but I still think there should be more than the judicial branch as a check on the legislative branch.
I think it's a national referendum issue either way (elected senate, abolished senate), and I don't think any PM wants to do one of those ever... especially for something no one really cares about except hardcore grognards.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have an open-ended question for every user that frequents this thread:

Time helps a lot. As more and more of the news-du-jour is about something that you already have in your memory-banks, you'll be able to contextualize things historically better and thus make claims or predictions about the future better.

Just read a newspaper and catch the headlines on CBC on a daily basis and you will become fluent soon enough.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try to slot in a Canadian Politics course in your university career or read a few books either ;)

gabbo

Today's News

The Atterny General says the cabinet would of known the true cost.

- Ministers were saying they were "misinformed" this statement basically disproves that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/05/pol-ferguson-committee.html#socialcomments

So basically our government lies to us.

If they lie about 10b extra dollars what else are they lying about?

Annnnnd they're going to be out of Parliament for two weeks, hoping the jets, robocalls, and anything else that's coming to light will fall out of the headlines.

Today's News

The Atterny General says the cabinet would of known the true cost.

- Ministers were saying they were "misinformed" this statement basically disproves that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/05/pol-ferguson-committee.html#socialcomments

So basically our government lies to us.

If they lie about 10b extra dollars what else are they lying about?

You just realized this?

Every government lies to some degree, but the Harper government just seems to be remarkably good at it.

RevoDS

It works in Quebec where we only have one chamber, the National Assembly. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the federal government.

maharg

idspispopd
It works in Quebec where we only have one chamber, the National Assembly. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the federal government.

All the provinces only have one chamber. Bicameral subnational legislatures are exceptionally rare. It doesn't mean there isn't value in bicameralism at the federal level.

RevoDS

All the provinces only have one chamber. Bicameral subnational legislatures are exceptionally rare. It doesn't mean there isn't value in bicameralism at the federal level.

Perhaps not (I personally don't see any value to it, but I recognize others may see it and I respect that), but it certainly means that fears that a single chamber would be problematic at the federal level are unwarranted. If it works for provinces, why wouldn't it work for the federal government?

maharg

idspispopd
Perhaps not (I personally don't see any value to it, but I recognize others may see it and I respect that), but it certainly means that fears that a single chamber would be problematic at the federal level are unwarranted. If it works for provinces, why wouldn't it work for the federal government?

Because the scope and power of the federal government is unlimited while the scope and power of the provincial government is limited to that delegated to it by the federal government. Effectively, the federal government *is* the upper house of the provincial government.

gabbo

You just realized this?

Every government lies to some degree, but the Harper government just seems to be remarkably good at it.

They're only markedly better than any previous governments, they're just better at deflecting. It's a horrible thing to see, Harper turning question period into open mic night with all the jokes he was telling to avoid answering questions. Must be part of the 'mandate' he was given to openly mock Canada's democratic systems.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's funny that the Americans still do this to this day. Then again, they vote for sheriffs and judges too!

Blackface

Banned
Who wants to bet when Don Cherry gets fired from the CBC because he is paid to much. He blames everyone EXCEPT the conservatives.

From Mike Wise:

TV programming to take brunt of #CBC cutbacks and cancellations. Still awaiting details.

#CBC radio cutting drama, and reducing number of live music recordings.

6 fewer series on #CBC TV next year - 175 fewer original hours. No details until May 10th fall launch. Will affect independent producers.

#CBC to reduce kids programming by 4 hours a week (but will keep producing kids TV)

RT @cbctom: 4 million dollar cut to CBC Sports, 14 positions affected. Sportsweekend will become a winter vehicle only #cbccuts

Screw Canadian content, we want more Wheel of Fortune.

edit: Dispatches cancelled.

Sapiens

Not dispatches! Just pay Gian less or something!

Not really sad about CBC radio drama though - it was always pretty bad.

Also, if Don Cherry were a real man, he would take a big cut and fund five or six jobs as a result. What a fucking asshole - sorry.

sammich

He may cost 1 mil, but im sure he brings in more to CBC than that 1 mil. In either case, even if he takes a 50% pay cut, i dont have any faith in CBC or any higher ups using that money to keep jobs but an opportunity to give themselves bonuses. This isnt me picking on CBC or the government, i just feel that it is the norm now for all companies. Fire the ones below, give myself a raise/bonus at the top.

gabbo

From Mike Wise:
Screw Canadian content, we want more Wheel of Fortune.

edit: Dispatches cancelled.

Meanwhile over at Bell/CTV and Shaw/Global:
nOnYM.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
6 fewer series on TV, huh. I'd guess Michael: Tuesdays and Thursdays and InSecurity are toast. Any other guesses?

You can pretty much guess that anything that's widely syndicated internationally is safe, and anything with a corporate sponsor. I'm sure we'll still get 18,475 hours of Dragon's Den and spinoffs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I had no idea this thread existed until now.
I came late too!

How much longer until the CBC can't afford to pay for NHL rights?
They make mad bank off HNiC, in spite of the fact that the NHL gouges them for the rights (when compared to what NBC/Versus pays anyway). If anything, they could probably become TSN 3 and start airing NHL games every day in place of dramatic programming. :p

Remember when the CBC simulcasted an American show and the controversy that caused? I think that's the future. They're probably going to need to chase ad dollars, which means they'll need to chase the TV shows that Canadians watch - basically, American shows.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I came late too!

They make mad bank off HNiC, in spite of the fact that the NHL gouges them for the rights (when compared to what NBC/Versus pays anyway). If anything, they could probably become TSN 3 and start airing NHL games every day in place of dramatic programming. :p
I understand they make money off of it but Bell and Rogers will continue to bid up the price until HNiC is dead. Those two teamed up to take the Olympics away from the CBC and the only reason CBC will have some of it back in 2014/6 is because Rogers decided to back away and Bell decided to team up with the CBC. The CBC gets what Bell and Rogers lets them get and the same will eventually happen with HNiC.

gabbo

I understand they make money off of it but Bell and Rogers will continue to bid up the price until HNiC is dead. Those two teamed up to take the Olympics away from the CBC and the only reason CBC will have some of it back in 2014/6 is because Rogers decided to back away and Bell decided to team up with the CBC. The CBC gets what Bell and Rogers lets them get and the same will eventually happen with HNiC.

That they (bell/Rogers) now own a franchise could work against them in such deals

6 fewer series on TV, huh. I'd guess Michael: Tuesdays and Thursdays and InSecurity are toast. Any other guesses?

You can pretty much guess that anything that's widely syndicated internationally is safe, and anything with a corporate sponsor. I'm sure we'll still get 18,475 hours of Dragon's Den and spinoffs.

Apparently, Connect (CBCNN) got axed today, don't know about the others yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That they (bell/Rogers) now own a franchise could work against them in such deals
I remember when the last deal happened hearing that the CBC pays a lot for Saturday night hockey games though. Even if Bell/Rogers gets those games and dumps them on SportsNet/TSN, I don't know if they'd make money on them. My understanding is that 20 or so Leafs games are already exclusive to that PPV Leafs Network thing, but anyone paying to watch the Leafs is a person who deserves to have money parted for them anyway, so I wouldn't feel bad if all Leafs games went that way. :p

Apparently, Connect (CBCNN) got axed today, don't know about the others yet.
Was that the show that airs before The National?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How much longer until the CBC can't afford to pay for NHL rights?

We don't get it since years ago on the French CBC. That's right, you don't have hockey on Radio Canada even if Montreal is insanely popular. It's not a ratings thing, it's to be "fair" to the French version TSN (RDS).

gabbo

I remember when the last deal happened hearing that the CBC pays a lot for Saturday night hockey games though. Even if Bell/Rogers gets those games and dumps them on SportsNet/TSN, I don't know if they'd make money on them. My understanding is that 20 or so Leafs games are already exclusive to that PPV Leafs Network thing, but anyone paying to watch the Leafs is a person who deserves to have money parted for them anyway, so I wouldn't feel bad if all Leafs games went that way. :p

Was that the show that airs before The National?

I meant more, could the fact that they own the team play against them in the bidding process?

lacinius

Internet Surveillance Bill C-30 coming back with a vengeance... the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights is recommending the following in their report on the State of Organised Crime in Canada:

RECOMMENDATION
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada pursue legislation requiring telecommunications service providers and telecommunications device manufacturers to build the ability to intercept telecommunications into their equipment and networks.

RECOMMENDATION
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada introduce legislation requiring telecommunications service providers and telecommunications device manufacturers to decrypt legally intercepted communications or to provide assistance to law enforcement agencies in this regard.

RECOMMENDATION
The Committee recommends the establishment of a statutory mechanism enabling law enforcement agencies, without a warrant, to require telecommunication service providers to disclose basic information identifying their subscribers. Privacy measures would have to be created, however, and prior court authorization would always be required to allow these agencies to intercept private communications.

Committee report:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...62995&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=1&File=69

**edit again... link does not seem to auto skip to the appropriate section. Instead here is the Table of Contents and click on "Lawful Access".
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=5462995&File=9

maharg

idspispopd
RECOMMENDATION
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada introduce legislation requiring telecommunications service providers and telecommunications device manufacturers to decrypt legally intercepted communications or to provide assistance to law enforcement agencies in this regard.

Hahaha say what? Because decryption is such an easy task. :rolleyes.

Loofy

*sigh* Just when Canadian produced TV was getting pretty good.
Im really surprised that theres actually support for the CBC. It aint no BBC.
The other day I met someone who actually thought rick mercer and this hour has 22 minutes was funny. They were pretty old though.

lacinius

And about the CBC cuts... hope their film and documentary production won't be too heavily impacted, because something like their recent TV drama from last fall, John A. Birth of a Country http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1791530/ was an absolute fantastic slice of Canadian history... very well researched and presented. It's on DVD, check it out if you get the chance!!

maharg

idspispopd
Im really surprised that theres actually support for the CBC. It aint no BBC.
The other day I met someone who actually thought rick mercer and this hour has 22 minutes was funny. They were pretty old though.

Ain't no BBC, but Canada ain't the UK.

In the last few years, in terms of Canadian drama TV, I've enjoyed Being Erica, 18 to Life (really stupid, but amusing), and Republic of Doyle off the top of my head. The rise of Canadian TV that's not deeply ashamed to be Canadian (see: Canadian money, Canadian product placement, set explicitly in Canadian cities) from Prairie Gas (even if it ran itself right into the ground after a few episodes) that actually get decent viewership and even international distribution will always be the first step to cancon that doesn't suck. The shows might not be incredible, but they were easily a step in the right direction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I meant more, could the fact that they own the team play against them in the bidding process?
Some would argue that there's more to the country than Toronto though. I think these people are crazy, of course. ;) (joking!)

Ain't no BBC, but Canada ain't the UK.

In the last few years, in terms of Canadian drama TV, I've enjoyed Being Erica, 18 to Life (really stupid, but amusing), and Republic of Doyle off the top of my head. The rise of Canadian TV that's not deeply ashamed to be Canadian (see: Canadian money, Canadian product placement, set explicitly in Canadian cities) from Prairie Gas (even if it ran itself right into the ground after a few episodes) that actually get decent viewership and even international distribution will always be the first step to cancon that doesn't suck. The shows might not be incredible, but they were easily a step in the right direction.
Corner Gas!

The only option is to move to reality television. CTV is already doing that with Canadian versions of all those shows, but it's not too late! There must be some combination of dancing, fashion, singing and cooking that they can combine to make one super reality TV show. Make them travel around the world and you have a winner.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I want CBC to make Canadian reality shows that don't license the name of a US/UK IP so they can save money.

Battle of the Blades was a big hit for them. There was talk of selling the format to other figure skating/hockey loving nations ie Russia.

gabbo

Internet Surveillance Bill C-30 coming back with a vengeance... the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights is recommending the following in their report on the State of Organised Crime in Canada:

RECOMMENDATION
The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada pursue legislation requiring telecommunications service providers and telecommunications device manufacturers to build the ability to intercept telecommunications into their equipment and networks.

RECOMMENDATION

RECOMMENDATION
The Committee recommends the establishment of a statutory mechanism enabling law enforcement agencies, without a warrant, to require telecommunication service providers to disclose basic information identifying their subscribers. Privacy measures would have to be created, however, and prior court authorization would always be required to allow these agencies to intercept private communications.

Committee report:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...62995&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=1&File=69

**edit again... link does not seem to auto skip to the appropriate section. Instead here is the Table of Contents and click on "Lawful Access".
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=5462995&File=9

I read this a day or so ago... I have a feeling they'll go full boar with those changes despite the outcry the first time.

As for the CBC appreciation, I don't feel informing Canadians and promoting Canadian culture from coast to coast, English and French should come with a profit motive. I'd love if CBC went with a BBC-like license model honestly. Make Bell and Rogers have to really viewers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom