• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacinius

I read this a day or so ago... I have a feeling they'll go full boar with those changes despite the outcry the first time.

I guess what caught my eye was to legislate that device manufacturers have a "back door" chip or whatever installed on each device. Just one more thing to "unlock" I suppose, like freeing up iPhones for different carriers. I already see numerous cell phone repair shops freely advertising on their store fronts that they will "unlock" your phone for you... I'm sure this, if it somehow eventually passes, will just be another form of revenue stream for them. Or to put that another way:

"The more you tighten your grip, Harper, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

gabbo

I guess what caught my eye was to legislate that device manufacturers have a "back door" chip or whatever installed on each device. Just one more thing to "unlock" I suppose, like freeing up iPhones for different carriers. I already see numerous cell phone repair shops freely advertising on their store fronts that they will "unlock" your phone for you... I'm sure this, if it somehow eventually passes, will just be another form of revenue stream for them. Or to put that another way:

I wonder if the government would remember to stop us from importing/buying online from sources not carrying such ridiculous features.

Government cutting 100 food-safety inspectors

OTTAWA — Canada's food-safety inspection force will shrink by as many as 100 inspectors — cuts the workers' union says will have an impact on the safety of food purchased by Canadians.

The union representing food inspectors says the cuts, to be implemented over three years to help save the Canadian Food Inspection Agency $56 million in operating costs by 2014-15, will reverse increases to the inspection force that were put in place in response to the deadly listeriosis outbreak in 2008.

"This decision will make the inspector shortage worse, not better. And because the government has failed to consult its own inspectors, they are cutting food safety blindly with little understanding of the consequences," Bob Kingston, president of the Agriculture Union of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, said Wednesday.

Overall, the food-inspection agency will be cutting 308 employees as a result of the cuts announced in the Conservative government's budget, unveiled last month.

This includes veterinarians, who are in charge of inspecting and certifying animals and meat products, as well as members of the agency's scientific and analytic group.

I remember the last time a certain Conservative government cut safety inspectors. Worked out great. Hope everyone likes their steaks well, well done.

Zzoram

Cutting food inspectors is very short sighted and will cost more money down the line when hospitals have to treat more people sick from food borne illness.

gabbo

I'm sure Harper already has someone in mind to throw under the bus in case of that.
I'm waiting for the cabinet shuffle that sees McKay given some low profile post where he can be thrown under the bus. No way Harper will sack the Minister of National Defense.

Bruiserk

To everyone who answered my question a couple pages back, thanks. I appreciate it.

Does anyone know of a Canadian politics web show akin to The Young Turks? I love watching TYT, Uygur is hilarious and I enjoy how the show works.

Loofy

So a liberal candidate came to my door and asked if he could count on my vote.

I sorta laughed then said 'I heard youre a swinger?'
Then he laughed and said no. Then kinda walked away.

But he is. Mike Butler you are. You even look like one.
mike-butler.jpg

So a liberal candidate came to my door and asked if he could count on my vote.

I sorta laughed then said 'I heard youre a swinger?'
Then he laughed and said no. Then kinda walked away.

But he is. Mike Butler you are. You even look like one.

So you're saying he can count on your vote?

On the bright side, that might have been an amusing break for the dude considering most of the time he likely gets "I heard you're the guy whose crazy brother killed your wife."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cutting food inspectors is very short sighted and will cost more money down the line when hospitals have to treat more people sick from food borne illness.

All according to keikaku.

It's like in Quebec where Charest's government imposed quotas for Hydro Quebec, telling them they had to make more money. Then people get angry when their bills rise. Then Charest is like *cough*privatization would be awesome don't you guys hate those do-nothing tax-payed rich unionized workers?*cough*.

It's always the same tactics with conservatives: create deficits by sending money in your friends' way, cut as much as possible in social services and any other social benefits or organization to make them seem inefficient and hence too costly, and then privatize under the guise of having to lower the debt.

Or in other words a robbery financed by the very rich.

gabbo

Canada splits with Latin America on Cuba, war on drugs

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-america-on-cuba-war-on-drugs/article2402984/

Just a small piece from the article.

“All the countries here in Latin American and the Caribbean want Cuba to be present. But the United States won't accept,” President Evo Morales of Bolivia told reporters late Saturday. “It's like a dictatorship.”

Harper souring our relationship with Cuba to score points with White House most likely.
As for the drugs, it makes a hell of a lot of sense to side with everyone else on this, but Harper wants more people in jail for drug crimes, not less, so that would never happen.

Glad we're being called out on this.

Cheerilee

Harper souring our relationship with Cuba to score points with White House most likely.

AFAIK, the question wasn't one of asking whether Canada opposes Cuba joining the next meeting, it was if Canada supports Cuba being invited to the next meeting. And it was something of a surprise issue. Harper just wanted to talk about selling natural resources, which is actually pissing off the White House, because he wants to increase diversity by trading more with countries which aren't the USA, as a response to some "America first" comments from Obama, suggesting that the White House takes Canada for granted.

The USA is opposed to Cuba, Canada has no strong opinion, so Canada counts as non-support.

Fake edit:
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/15/democratic-cuba-welcome-to-summit-harper

"While we don't support the position of isolating Cuba, we do believe the Summit of the Americas should be restricted to democratic countries and that Cuba should be encouraged to come as a democratic country in the future," Harper said following two days of summit meetings in Cartagena, Colombia.

"Our position on Cuba is not the same as the United States on all aspects of the Cuba issue. It is the fact the summit should be for the participation of democratic countries. That's a position with which we agree," Harper said.

Kifimbo

At least be fair when bashing Harper. His position his Canada's position for the last 15 years. Started under Chretien. And I'll say it's a sensible position.

One example:

Canada's Close Ties to Cuba Fraying Over Human Rights
By ANTHONY DePALMA
Published: June 30, 1999

The cozy relationship between Canada and Cuba that has so infuriated American Presidents and Congressional leaders has sunk to its lowest point in years, principally because of Cuba's continuing record of violating basic human rights.

Angered by the recent conviction of several dissidents on whose behalf Prime Minister Jean Chretien had personally intervened, Canada is blocking all new assistance programs to Cuba that do not clearly further the protection of human rights.

Canadian officials have also decided not to encourage other countries in the hemisphere to support Cuba's admission into the Organization of American States.

Officials in the Canadian foreign ministry say the new approach is not a break with Cuba -- as some Washington politicians had hoped it would be -- but rather the refinement of a longstanding policy that continues to have as its goal Cuba's transition to democracy.

''We're still engaged with them, but we have to put some northern ice in the middle of it,'' Mr. Chretien told reporters in Ottawa today.

maharg

idspispopd
The problem with any kind of apology for anti-Cuban policies, whether American or Canadian, Chretien, Harper, Obama, or Bush is the hypocrisy of the complete turnaround of the isolation policy that was so popular in the 60s when it comes to some countries (most notably China) to a more trade-liberal approach, while other countries (most notably Cuba) continue to get the cold shoulder.

No rational explanation will ever wash for that. Cuba wants our money, wants our trade, wants our tourism and every time the spigot turns off we're doing nothing but punishing their people and prolonging their lack of freedom.

gabbo

So Harper considers China a democracy?

They aren't in the Americas.
I disagree with his and I guess our stance on Cuba. Invite them in now and things will get better instead of hoping that continued isolation will somehow change what 60 years of isolation and occasional intervention could not.

I'm just glad the Latin American leaders aren't sitting idly by and letting Harper take his sleazy car salesman act on the road without some push back.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/17/environmental-reviews.html

So the Conservatives a pretty much neutering the entire environmental assessment process. Funny this happens now when my final exam for my environmental impact assessment class is tomorrow. Really gives context to what they are doing. The EA process is put in place for a reason. They are essentially going to cut out the entire public participation portion, the most important part, out of the EAs and are calling it more streamlined. Yes, the EA process is inefficient, but there are other ways to improve it.

lacinius

And robo-scandal surfaces for a moment, as the investigation continues...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/16/robocalls-probe-reaches-tory-headquarters/

Nearly a year after the investigation began, the agency is trying to determine why database records provided by the party appear to be missing entries that could help identify who downloaded the phone numbers used to make fraudulent robocalls, according to a source familiar with the probe.

They are now certain the list of numbers in Guelph that received the robocalls came directly from CIMS, according to the source. The CIMS data were compared to listings of the outgoing robocalls provided under court order by RackNine and matched perfectly, the source said.

maharg

idspispopd
The Alberta election is such a gong show. Probably more than half the MLAs will be elected from less than 30% of the vote in their riding. I don't really think projection models will be very useful on this one.

The Alberta election is such a gong show. Probably more than half the MLAs will be elected from less than 30% of the vote in their riding. I don't really think projection models will be very useful on this one.

What is your opinion on what the wild rose party will do once elected with a majority?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's some three way split right there. lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Everytime I read this thread I see something new that makes me angry :(

So Harper considers China a democracy?
Its in the Charter for the OAS/OEA

The problem with any kind of apology for anti-Cuban policies, whether American or Canadian, Chretien, Harper, Obama, or Bush is the hypocrisy of the complete turnaround of the isolation policy that was so popular in the 60s when it comes to some countries (most notably China) to a more trade-liberal approach, while other countries (most notably Cuba) continue to get the cold shoulder.

No rational explanation will ever wash for that.
Cuba wants our money, wants our trade, wants our tourism and every time the spigot turns off we're doing nothing but punishing their people and prolonging their lack of freedom.

Castro is still alive.

maharg

idspispopd
Conservatives join separatists at snubbing the 30th anniversary of our Constitution and Charter Of Rights

We had a constitution before 1982. It's the 30th anniversary of the patriation of our constitution. Hell, technically our constitution goes all the way back to the Magna Carta.

Its in the Charter for the OAS/OEA

Because all the other members are bastions of democracy.

Castro is still alive.

Not only is that not rational, it doesn't say anything to what I was talking about and definitely has nothing to do with Canada.

Snowdrift

When are we going to get a preferential voting system? The first provincial election in my lifetime were there is contention for the government and I have to employ strategic voting in hopes that the WR doesn't come out ahead in Edmonton-Whitemud.

The gap is narrowing a bit, but I don't have high hopes. Pulling Alberta out of the CPP was one of the most ridiculous things I've heard of late. Lets build up that Alberta firewall! The Wildrose is championing decade old policy and ideology that even Harper doesn't seem to adhere to with much conviction any more.

Alison Redford is the modernization of the PC party. Despite my wishes to see the dynasty come to an end, I would have liked to see what she would have done with a full term.

Odd times in Canadian politics. Alison Redford and Thomas Mulcair come across as more traditional Liberal candidates to me.

maharg

idspispopd
When are we going to get a preferential voting system? The first provincial election in my lifetime were there is contention for the government and I have to employ strategic voting in hopes that the WR doesn't come out ahead in Edmonton-Whitemud.

308 projects E-W as pretty solidly PC, but I really strongly have doubts about using projections from uniform swing to make decisions from.

gabbo

What does the robocall list being from CIMS mean?

CISM is the proprietary voter list system the Conservatives use to keep track of who to call/etc come election time. These records, that are kept at the party's headquarters; were incomplete/missing information when Elections Canada came calling despite claims by various Con MPs to the contrary that is (Dean Del Mastro swore up and down all of February and March they had been as transparent as could possibly be on this).

Today's News

Toews announces closure of 3 federal jails

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/19/pol-prison-closing-toews.html

The federal government is closing down the maximum-security penitentiary in Kingston, Ont., the Regional Treatment Centre located on the grounds of the penitentiary, and the medium-security Leclerc Institution in Laval, Que.

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews told a press conference Thursday in Ottawa that the facilities are "simply not working well anymore" and that they will be shut down over the next two years, saving $120 million per year.

The inmates housed in the three facilities will be moved to other federal institutions across the country, he said. Which jails they are sent to will be decided by the Correctional Service of Canada, he said.

Toews said he expects about 1,000 inmates to be moved, and that a simliar number of prison guard jobs will be affected by the closures. The majority of staff will be moved to jobs at nearby facilities, he said. The Kingston area, for example, has six other federal jails.

6 robocall ridings had no polling changes

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/18/pol-election-calls-court-challenge.html

New information released by a group challenging last year's federal election results in seven ridings shows almost no changes in polling station locations, eliminating one explanation offered by Conservatives for calls that gave voters the wrong information.

The Council of Canadians, which is supporting nine people in an application in federal court, provided an email Wednesday to reporters that shows only one polling station moved in the seven ridings in which Conservative wins are being challenged.

An Elections Canada investigation into calls that directed voters to the wrong polling station so far seems to be limited to Guelph, Ont., although Chief Electoral Officer Marc Mayrand says the agency has logged 800 confirmed complaints in 200 ridings.

http://www.nationalpost.com/related...st+rights+from+Bell+Rogers/6492541/story.html

The chief of the CBC’s English services said this week she has every intention of bringing back the National Hockey League to the public broadcaster when the current contract with the league comes due two years from now.

“We’re going to,” the executive said forcefully during a panel discussion Thursday with the heads of the country’s networks. “That’s our plan.”

But it’s perhaps a brave face and false hope given her opponents. Both Rogers Communications Inc. and CTV— now Bell Media— were already formidable foes before BCE Inc. bet on TV content to fuel its telecom businesses and acquired the network and specialty-channel operator, a strategy that has raised the stakes for all.

Since being acquired by the telecom giant last spring, the new Bell Media has lapped up sports broadcast rights left, right and centre in a race only Rogers has been able to keep pace with (Shaw Media, formerly Canwest, backed down from a sports network launch last year).

The pairs’ joint $1.3-billion purchase of a controlling stake in Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Ltd. in December all but guarantees the Saturday night NHL games the CBC has been able to secure from the league for decades will be lost, some analysts say, either entirely or in part.

“The next logical step, now that you’ve teamed up, is to gang up on the CBC and to take away Hockey Night In Canada,” quipped business journalist Michael Vaughn, the moderator of the high-powered panel, which included Bell media head Kevin Crull, Rogers’ Keith Pelley, Shaw’s Paul Robertson and Pierre Dion from Quebecor-owned TVA.

Still, Ms. Stewart argues the CBC can compete. She reminded the audience of advertisers and media buyers the league controls national broadcast rights, not MLSE.

“And it’s got nothing to do with Hockey Night In Canada,” Rogers’ Mr. Pelley shot back.

The public broadcaster successfully resigned league rights in 2007, but every indication is that the CBC went to the limit of what it could spend. And in the face of a $115-million reduction in federal funding, the odds are low — perhaps very — the corporation can bring the financial might required to beat the competition.

I can't even imagine the CBC without Hockey Night.

No Ontario election!

TORONTO — Premier Dalton McGuinty has agreed to a key NDP budget demand for a surtax on incomes over $500,000.

The move comes after a meeting with NDP Leader Andrea Horwath to try to make a deal to avoid a defeat of the budget tomorrow, which would have forced an election.

McGuinty says the money raised by the surtax will go to paying down the deficit, and the tax will end once the budget is balanced in 2017.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...deal-making-time-running-out-120423/20120423/

It would devastating to the network I have to imagine. No HNiC is unthinkable that's a trans-generational program

If that happens, suddenly Ron and Don are laid off, TSN's hockey panel begin to fear for their jobs....a big mess. Will be interesting to see how much the league favors tradition (and, let's be honest, a mega-brand, Canada-wise) over $$$. Media companies have the money but they don't have quite the same nationwide reach.

The PCs refusing to work with the Liberals on the budget has allowed the rich to get taxed an additional 2%, way to represent your constituents PC's!

This Wildrose stuff is some of the most depressing political news I've ever read. How is it possible for a (basically) Tea Party party to get this popular in a Canadian province?

What the hell is going on over there? Last time I lived in Alberta Ralph was basically the unimpeachable king; I gather his heirs have not done so well?

krae_man

maharg

idspispopd
What the hell is going on over there? Last time I lived in Alberta Ralph was basically the unimpeachable king; I gather his heirs have not done so well?

His heirs moved to a new party. The WR is basically the continuation of the Klein wing of the PC party, with the Lougheed (the guy who brought the PCs to power in the first place on a wind of change from the crazier right wing social credit party) wing being expressed in the PC party's leadership since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom