• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Style

don't think .ca does. you can find the codes easy on .com but it looks like there's no digital code option for Canadian plebs

20 and 50, yeah. but .com has a lot more denominations

you have no options lol. amazon.ca ships you the code so have fun waiting

I just want to clarify this so that people don't make the mistake of ordering PSN codes from Amazon.com. U.S digital currency codes do not work in Canada.

Digital Games? Yes (w/ U.S billing address). I've been ordering games here and there due to Amazon.com credit from FreeMyApps.

I just want to clarify this so that people don't make the mistake of ordering PSN codes from Amazon.com. U.S digital currency codes do not work in Canada.

Digital Games? Yes (w/ U.S billing address). I've been ordering games here and there due to Amazon.com credit from FreeMyApps.

What's this?

ohlawd

shit, forgot to mention that. it was late at night >_>

but PS+ codes work in Canada when bought from the US

source: anyone who bit on $30 1 year codes years ago :(

No_Style

What's this?

If you have an iOS or Android device, you can visit FreeMyApps.com and enroll your device and download (mostly) garbage mobile apps, launch each app for about 30 seconds each and collect credits.

You then trade those credits for a variety of gift cards including iTunes and Amazon.com gift cards. 3000 credits = $10 gift card.

A U.S itunes account is required but it's quite lucrative. I got two years worth of Edge Magazine subscriptions and bought Destiny, Advanced Warfare and Black Ops III Digital Codes from Amazon.com through this.

FYI: My experience is strictly through iOS devices but this is device specific, so you'll gain credits faster with more devices. I have an iPad and iPhone. My bro has my old iPad 3, an iPod Touch, his old iPhone 4S and his iPhone 6 so he's collecting credits like a mad man. He bought clothes and other U.S exclusive stuff through this.

It's not a huge money maker but it takes no time and in the end I get like $100 worth of credit per year. Just make sure to check in like once every couple of days to see if they have new apps.

Dazzler

EB have this weird rule that they can't sell anything they take in via trade-in for 90 days

I traded in my Kinect and some dude wanted to immediately buy it, but the guy behind the counter said they couldn't sell it for 90 days, it's some city of Vancouver by-law or something

I should have just sold the dude my Kinect and cut out EB altogether

killroy87

EB have this weird rule that they can't sell anything they take in via trade-in for 90 days

I traded in my Kinect and some dude wanted to immediately buy it, but the guy behind the counter said they couldn't sell it for 90 days, it's some city of Vancouver by-law or something

Yeah, I've encountered that too. It must be more frustrating for them than anyone. If someone trades in a game that was released a week or two ago, I'm sure they'd want to get it on the shelf ASAP while the game is still relevant. 90 days is a lifetime in the videogame world, people stop caring as soon as the new thing releases.

If you have an iOS or Android device, you can visit FreeMyApps.com and enroll your device and download (mostly) garbage mobile apps, launch each app for about 30 seconds each and collect credits.

You then trade those credits for a variety of gift cards including iTunes and Amazon.com gift cards. 3000 credits = $10 gift card.

A U.S itunes account is required but it's quite lucrative. I got two years worth of Edge Magazine subscriptions and bought Destiny, Advanced Warfare and Black Ops III Digital Codes from Amazon.com through this.

FYI: My experience is strictly through iOS devices but this is device specific, so you'll gain credits faster with more devices. I have an iPad and iPhone. My bro has my old iPad 3, an iPod Touch, his old iPhone 4S and his iPhone 6 so he's collecting credits like a mad man. He bought clothes and other U.S exclusive stuff through this.

It's not a huge money maker but it takes no time and in the end I get like $100 worth of credit per year. Just make sure to check in like once every couple of days to see if they have new apps.

Thanks.

I think I remember trying this a long time ago. I may take a look at it again. I have a couple of iOS devices and an old android device so this could be worth it.

Yeah, I've encountered that too. It must be more frustrating for them than anyone. If someone trades in a game that was released a week or two ago, I'm sure they'd want to get it on the shelf ASAP while the game is still relevant. 90 days is a lifetime in the videogame world, people stop caring as soon as the new thing releases.

I *think* because by 90 days it clears any liability if it's stolen or gets reported as stolen? Kind of just guessing there.

espher

Alright GAF, I want to get an XB1 (for Rock Band) with Kinect (for Xbox Fitness/Dance Central/Fantasia).

So far, the only deals I have seen over the past few months are $50 off on the bundles. I'm currently looking at the Xbox + Kinect + Forza 5 + Kinect Sports Rivals bundle on Best Buy for $450. They've also got a refurb for $350, but I really don't want to gamble on the 90-day warranty (and I don't know anyone that has gotten a refurb and reviews online seem mixed).

Given the CAD nosedive and the fact that I don't foresee a price drop or clearance push for these, should I just bite the bullet? I'm not expecting a better deal since they've now unbundled Kinect altogether, but does anyone recall if they went for any less than that last year? The deal ends today and I'm waffling but I really do want a Kinect unit and I do want it by October.

Edit: Also I did look on Kijiji in my area to see if anyone was selling just their Kinect and nobody is so pairing that with a retail Kinectless XB1 bundle is out of the picture.

Yeah, that must be a local bylaw, because I'm in New Brunswick and they print out the recycled stickers for my trade ins and are walking the empty case to the shelf while I'm still in the store....they don't wait 90 seconds lol

zroid

Banned
Has anyone done ship to store with The Source before? I ordered a couple of those clearance items and just trying to figure out whether they're ready for pick up...

According to the shipment tracking, it's been delivered since yesterday morning, but I never received an email or anything to notify me.

edit: never mind I called the store and they said it was ready. the weird thing was on The Source's website, all the stores' phone numbers just use a generic toll free number which didn't get me anywhere. I found the actual store's phone number via google maps, lol.

follow-up:

aaaand I just got the email notification that it's ready to pick up!

78bkcKT.png

I'm a little bit concerned about this :lol :lol

Banned
So I got a refund for MGS V because newegg sent me a free code for it as a makeup for Arkham Knight not working. I think steam is mad at me.
45D7vn6.jpg

Keep in mind my last refund was in June when I bought too many games on a steam sale.

Alright GAF, I want to get an XB1 (for Rock Band) with Kinect (for Xbox Fitness/Dance Central/Fantasia).

So far, the only deals I have seen over the past few months are $50 off on the bundles. I'm currently looking at the Xbox + Kinect + Forza 5 + Kinect Sports Rivals bundle on Best Buy for $450. They've also got a refurb for $350, but I really don't want to gamble on the 90-day warranty (and I don't know anyone that has gotten a refurb and reviews online seem mixed).

Given the CAD nosedive and the fact that I don't foresee a price drop or clearance push for these, should I just bite the bullet? I'm not expecting a better deal since they've now unbundled Kinect altogether, but does anyone recall if they went for any less than that last year? The deal ends today and I'm waffling but I really do want a Kinect unit and I do want it by October.

Edit: Also I did look on Kijiji in my area to see if anyone was selling just their Kinect and nobody is so pairing that with a retail Kinectless XB1 bundle is out of the picture.

Toward the end of last year, I was in your position looking for a good bundle price. Ended up with the 399 Sunset bundle, which was pretty darn good, online (save time and gas money!)

-I tried buying used, but most people wouldn't budge on price, or had less than a month left on the warranty.

-The refurbs were bundled with games I didn't want, or accessories.

- I remember from last gen gaming, people seem to value the limited-edition systems more, and I want to maintain that resale value thinking three or four years from now when I go to sell it on the used market.

- I bought a second x1 recently, MCC bundle, when it was discounted $50. Couple that with a trade in promo and that's a great deal too.

In sum, $50 is a pretty good discount especially given how low the dollar is now.

hmm, just got an update email on my phantom pain limited edition from amazon saying that they "are still trying to obtain the item" anybody else get this? Earlier today the delivery date was estimated to be on the 4th.

This is because EB trade-ins fall under Vancouver's (antiquated) pawn shop laws. The locations can't take trades after 6 and have to hold them for 90 days before re-selling.

Then again Best Buy breaks this rule all the time; I've traded in games after 6pm before and I doubt they languish for 90 days in the back.

BTails

hmm, just got an update email on my phantom pain limited edition from amazon saying that they "are still trying to obtain the item" anybody else get this? Earlier today the delivery date was estimated to be on the 4th.

Yup, I'm in the exact same boat. Going to try Amazon's live chat in a couple minutes because I'm PISSED.

See my posts on the past few pages

I originally had a date of September 8 and about a month ago they changed it to "no delivery estimate yet"

This is what I was worried about

Edit: I notice they changed the page for the collectors edition. It's no longer linked to the regular game page, they are separate products now and collectors now says "only available from third party sellers"

Previously if you went to the MGSV page it let you pick standard or collectors

oh ok thanks, same here. I think that was the first day so it's probably not an allocation thing for number of ordered. hmm, fingers crossed, I have never had an issue with an unfulfilled order from amazon.

Same. I also spoke to them on the phone yesterday and they said it was likely just a glitch that would be fixed when shipments go out

But I am skeptical

Dazzler

This is because EB trade-ins fall under Vancouver's (antiquated) pawn shop laws. The locations can't take trades after 6 and have to hold them for 90 days before re-selling.

Then again Best Buy breaks this rule all the time; I've traded in games after 6pm before and I doubt they languish for 90 days in the back.

yea somehow I don't think it's a priority for the VPD somehow :)

BTails

March 9 as well. FYI, the guy on the Live Chat is not being helpful at all. He just says that they're requesting more stock from the supplier. He upgraded my shipping from "Free" to "Standard", which I told him does nothing for me if I don't get the product.

I also told him I would've preordered during the e3 sale if I had known that I wasn't going to get my product, so now I'm stuck with a "maybe" preorder and no savings. He hasn't responded yet.

Tik-Tok

Has anyone who ordered MGSV from FutureShop received a shipping notice yet?

I realized my order has an expired credit card on it. The number is right, just the expiration
is wrong since they sent me a new one with the same number.

I don't want it to be delayed by me updating the credit card number now or by it having the wrong expiry.

I sent them an e-mail but I'm waiting to hear back.

Has anyone who ordered MGSV from FutureShop received a shipping notice yet?

I realized my order has an expired credit card on it. The number is right, just the expiration
is wrong since they sent me a new one with the same number.

I don't want it to be delayed by me updating the credit card number now or by it having the wrong expiry.

I sent them an e-mail but I'm waiting to hear back.

Nothing yet but it has disappeared from those notices they usually send every couple of weeks, which means something is happening.

Credit card has not been charged.

BTails

Update: the rep "confirmed" they will have stock on Sept 1, then when I asked him to clarify if I would have my order ship on Sept 1, he dodged the question. I called him out on it and have been transferred to a supervisor. More to come...

poodpick

When I first contacted Amazon they told me the earliest estimate for my order was October 5th.

Hello from Amazon.ca,

I am sorry that your order has been delayed because we do not have your item in our inventory.

The "Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain - PlayStation 4 Collector's Edition" has been proven to be a very popular item and has become a surprise sellout.

When you placed your order, we believed we had access to more copies. However, all of our suppliers have rapidly sold out of this item.

We have many customer orders for this item and we're waiting for more copies from our suppliers. We are filling orders as quickly as we can on a first-come, first-served basis.

When a customer orders this item we normally obtain it from a supplier who can usually send it to us within the time frame originally listed on our site when you placed your order.

However, in this case, the supplier was not able to send the item to us by the original estimate. This typically happens when the supplier has limited to no inventory available and Amazon or other stores request the item infrequently.

It is our policy to notify customers whenever such delays occur, and I sincerely apologize that you were not notified in this case.

Based on the information that we have received from the supplier, we currently expect to be able to ship your order to you between October 5, 2015 - October 10, 2015.

Please note that, the above estimated date is maximum time that we have received from our suppliers. However, I can assure that we are working hard to obtain this item from our suppliers for you. As soon as we received the item from our suppliers, we will ship it at first priority to your address.

We'll send you an e-mail when your order is shipped with your tracking number. Your order could ship any time between now and right before the estimated delivery date.

Well... fuck

After I emailed them again they responded that they will get me a copy on 9/1.

Hello from Amazon.ca.

I've read our previous e-mails with you, and I'm sorry all of your concerns weren't addressed in previous correspondence.

I've checked our appropriate department and can confirm that you will receive the order on release date.

I can assure that we do take full responsibility and delivery your order on Release date delivery.

We will do everything we can to ensure that your order is shipped and delivered as efficiently as possible. We will send you an e-mail at the time of shipment, but please contact us again if you do not receive your order by Sept. 1 2015 or if you need further help, please use this link to contact us:

BTails

Supervisor was no help. She could tell me nothing except that I will be informed when they hear from their supplier.

Sounds like amazon.ca has no clue if they're going to get stock or not.

sjay1994

When I first contacted Amazon they told me the earliest estimate for my order was October 5th.

After I emailed them again they responded that they will get me a copy on 9/1.

I just entered a live chat with an amazon rep. We will see how this goes for me

Mimosa97

So I got a refund for MGS V because newegg sent me a free code for it as a makeup for Arkham Knight not working. I think steam is mad at me.
45D7vn6.jpg

Keep in mind my last refund was in June when I bought too many games on a steam sale.

You can ask for a refund even if you didn't actually buy the game on steam ?

I feel like you'll be denied any further refund in the future ...

Lothars

You can ask for a refund even if you didn't actually buy the game on steam ?

I feel like you'll be denied any further refund in the future ...
I think he means that he preordered MGS V on Steam and than New Egg sent him a free copy of it because of the issue with Arkham Knight.

I don't think it has anything to do with him not buying a copy on steam first.

MesH

I just jumped on to post the same thing, well good thing I ordered the regular edition during E3 deal 2 years ago from bestbuy, was planning on returning it because I preodered the limited edition from Amazon, but looks like I will keep it now, sucks because I really want the limited version.

sjay1994

Lmao

Fuck sakes. No way I'm waiting that long, spoilers will be everywhere

... but I want my hand replica.

I am also really sad the steelbook is really that lame one of the japanese GZ cover, and the promo art of Boss and Ocelot on the other side.

It looks so amateurish

sjay1994

What? It's not the one in the image on the product page?

No it is. But there was a people onf GAF trying to say that the image was place holder, and the vastly superior amazon.de preorder steelbook would be the one in the CE in the thread about that steelbook.

My hopes were raised a bit.

Banned
I think he means that he preordered MGS V on Steam and than New Egg sent him a free copy of it because of the issue with Arkham Knight.

I don't think it has anything to do with him not buying a copy on steam first.
This.

I cancelled a preorder with steam. But the only way to do that is to ask for a refund. It's not as seamless as cancelling a preorder on Amazon.

They got all pissed I did that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom