• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

Nah, man. Switch will be fine. A lot of the third parties from 3DS are just transitioning. They will appear heavily in the second year of the system and beyond.

They were desperate enough to call in Nagoshi announcing eventual development for the console at an unknown point. If major projects were coming anytime soon, they would have been shown - just like during the 3DS reveal.

Mr Swine

Banned
So has Capcom any Switch software at all or are they just focusing on the dying 3DS and the PS4/Xbone only?

Edit: other than the port of SF?

Mediking

no one wants to bother with shit hardware

nintendo always stuck between two generations

Are we really doing this? Super Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild are pretty much destined to be super high rated games.

Hardware can only go so far. Its about the quality of games.

Why piss away the money for a port when Switch has yet to prove itself as a viable platform even.

If Switch manages to become a Wii-like success, you might actually see some ports. I doubt it has even a fraction of the same appeal though.

You are always so positive.

Otnopolit

Are we really doing this? Super Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild are pretty much destined to be super high rated games.

Of course we are! This is Neogaf. Home of industry prophets and armchair evaluators everywhere! The Switch has already failed, Neogaf told me so.

bidguy

Banned

i think its pretty clear that im talking strictly about third party. of course nintendo is gonna support a nintendo console.

do you expect destiny 2 on switch ? cyberpunk 2077 ? next tomb raider ? maybe battlefield ?

no fucking way. its simply too weak. ms and sony already try to jump higher than current gen with pro/scorpio while nintendo just revealed something that tries to be three things at the same time

i think its pretty clear that im talking strictly about third party. of course nintendo is gonna support a nintendo console.

do you expect destiny 2 on switch ? cyberpunk 2077 ? next tomb raider ? maybe battlefield ?

no fucking way. its simply too weak. ms and sony already try to jump higher than current gen with pro/scorpio while nintendo just revealed something that tries to be three things at the same time

Nobody expects any of these things and nobody cares.

Majmun

Regarding 3ds' third party support...

Developing for 3DS is cheaper than for the Switch. Devs couldn't really port the 3DS games to the Ps360 and Ps4/X1 for hardware reasons.

With rising development costs, seeing how big of a leap the technology is from 3DS to Switch, their games could end up on Ps4/X1 as well now.

It's always easier to port your game to a more powerful hardware than vice versa.

Unless Nintendo moneyhats them, ofcourse.

oti

Banned
RE7 is a weird game, I wonder what Capcom's targets are. It seems like a low-key Spin-off in its marketing campaign but it's the next Resident Evil. Maybe they want to see how it performs first before they put more resources into it for a Switch version that, let's be frank here, wouldn't be worth it for Capcom anyway.

I feel like Skyrim will be a make-or-break point for many third parties.

JUST ANNOUNCE DRAGON'S DOGMA ALREADY

MUnited83

For you.

People are pointing out how the hardware is far too weak for third parties to embrace it and your response is "look at those first party games"?

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

We're talking about Resident Evil, the most ported out franchise ever.

Makes sense, its too much work to downgrade and isn't worth it. They'd basically have to make a second game just for the Switch.

This will be a common theme with most publishers as it was with the Wii and WiiU.

Mediking

3rd party talk? Switch is destined to get more support than Xbox One from Japan overall . Capcom skipping Resident Evil 7 with Switch sucks but its okay. Switch will get MONSTER HUNTER someday.

Now if Final Fantasy 7 remake skips Switch and Kingdom Hearts 3 skips it... then we will have a huge problem.

Western indies will go on Switch.

But the big westerm party guys? Nah, they will be super hesitant on Switch UNLESS it sells super good. Even your Titanfall guys will come around if Switch finds success.

I already have a PS4. I'm good doing a PS4 and Switch combo.

id like a RE4,5,6 port. for me 7 seems more like a VR game

Except it's a continuation for the series so it would be weird to leave that one out.
3rd party talk? Switch is destined to get more support than Xbox One from Japan overall . Capcom skipping Resident Evil 7 with Switch sucks but its okay. Switch will get MONSTER HUNTER someday.

Now if Final Fantasy 7 remake skips Switch and Kingdom Hearts 3 skips it... then we will have a huge problem.

Western indies will go on Switch.

But the big westerm party guys? Nah, they will be super hesitant on Switch UNLESS it sells super good. Even your Titanfall guys will come around if Switch finds success.

I already have a PS4. I'm good doing a PS4 and Switch combo.
Why would FF7 come to Switch?

Mediking

People are pointing out how the hardware is far too weak for third parties to embrace it and your response is "look at those first party games"?

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Xenoverse 2 is on Switch. Disagea 5 on Switch. Those are 3rd party games.

I'm not a PC guy. I dont care too much about specs. I care moreso about the quality of games.

Majmun

Oh, they included that stuff to attract third parties? Why aren't they lining up?

We're living in a world where joycons and hd-rumble are somehow more relevant and technically advanced than VR!

Just so you know, before you continue with this discussion.

True Fire

I doubt Switch could even run RE7 at playable specs. Games released in 2017 and beyond are going to be upgrading with Pro/Scorpio, not downgrading for an unproven Nintendo console.

Vena

I wouldn't call a 20nm slightly modified soc from 2015 cutting edge. Maybe for Nintendo.

I'll guess I shoud fully reserve judgement until we know for sure, but that's what the evidence seems to point at.

Even with this consideration, it's still be cutting edge in this market due to the long R&D tail and general turn around times vs. world tech movements. There is no X1 successor at the moment so at the very least they are using nVidia's best mobile tech with some of the best APIs on the business.

The original comment was accurate. It's also more a statement of the sum of parts makes the whole than this clockspeed reductionism too many people fall into.

Otnopolit

Real talk, though, I think the game would suffer on Switch since its artstyle and scares heavily rely on photorealism in my eyes. While its CPU is great, we know its GPU leaves something to be desired (ahem) for a home console. Just because it can be taken on the go doesn't make it anymore appealing for this game to be on the system. Wearing diapers in public is also frowned upon.

REmake 2 on Switch would be fantastic, however, and I can totally see Capcom doing that.

bman94

I wouldn't look to far into this. Capcom is one of the most consistent third parties that Nintendo works with. If a Nintendo platform exists there WILL be top tier Capcom games on it. Even the fucking DS and Gameboy Color got Resident Evil games.

Switch probably won't get Resident Evil 7, but I bet you your sweet ass that they will bring over REmake, REmake 0, and the modern ports of 4, 5 & 6. Hell we'll probably find the HD ports of Revelations 1 & 2 as well.

zelas

The quality of the game can only go so far when it's appeal is limited by several factors INCLUDING hardware. Look at all the great titles on Wii U. Those great Nintendo games didnt stop people from keeping their money in their pockets and walking away.

You limiting the discussion of hardware to merely specs doesn't change the fact that hardware needs to reach a minimum level to get worthwhile third party support. Without on par hardware there are "no games", so the quality of the games doesn't even have a chance at entering the conversation.

Xenoverse 2 is on Switch. Disagea 5 on Switch. Those are 3rd party games.

I'm not a PC guy. I dont care too much about specs. I care moreso about the quality of games.
So is a 7th gen FIFA port. So is an extremely watered down DQH2 vita port. So is an anything but Skyrim remastered port. Plenty of software shaping up to be the kind of software Nintendo fans have pointed to as "lazy third party efforts."

But as you say hardware doesn't matter.

Who the fuck is getting a Switch for late third party ports.
It would have been nice for Nintendo to get dev kits out there a lot sooner instead of pretending the Switch didn't have an easily predicted gimmick. You know, allowing other to fill out the gaps in their library instead of just thinking about themselves.

Neoxon

They were desperate enough to call in Nagoshi announcing eventual development for the console at an unknown point. If major projects were coming anytime soon, they would have been shown - just like during the 3DS reveal.
Take Pokémon for example, why reveal Stars only 2 months after Sun/Moon when it's still printing money?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Understandable, when they made the engine I'm sure it wasn't with last gen in mind, I mean what would it actually look like. I'm guessing not pretty

Do we know exactly how underpowered the switch is relative to the Xbone? Im pretty sure Switch can handle a downgraded 720p RE7. I think the issue is more the market rather than the hardware, though it certainly doesn't help.

jonno394

Understandable, when they made the engine I'm sure it wasn't with last gen in mind, I mean what would it actually look like. I'm guessing not pretty

Resident Evil 7 can run on a GTX 760 or an AMD 260x. I'm sure the Switch GPU is as good as either of those (someone can tell me otherwise)

edit - nope, probably not comparable....

Top Bottom