• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

MUnited83

For you.
Xenoverse 2 is on Switch. Disagea 5 on Switch. Those are 3rd party games.

I'm not a PC guy. I dont care too much about specs. I care moreso about the quality of games.

If you only care about the quality of the games why did manufacturers and publishers moved away from the PS2 eventually?

Guess what: some quality games released today can only exist because the power of today hardware allows it.

Otherwise, why the fuck isn't the Switch a even shittier hardware at 99$ and like half the power of the Wii U? After all, power doesn't matter, am i right?

Sesha

RE7 is a weird game, I wonder what Capcom's targets are. It seems like a low-key Spin-off in its marketing campaign but it's the next Resident Evil. Maybe they want to see how it performs first before they put more resources into it for a Switch version that, let's be frank here, wouldn't be worth it for Capcom anyway.

They expect 4m by March 31.

Neoxon

Do we know exactly how underpowered the switch is relative to the Xbone? Im pretty sure Switch can handle a downgraded 720p RE7. I think the issue is more the market rather than the hardware, though it certainly doesn't help.
According to Eurogamer's leaked clock speeds, the Switch is 2-3x the Wii U & slightly above the Wii U undocked. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Typical Capcom on Nintendo home systems. We can usually expect a couple of toe dips and sponsored projects and that's about it.

However, Capcom on handheld Nintendo throws a spanner or two into the works.

...after the SNES.

And there is a reason why its been that way since after the SNES. With not just Capcom but alot of others.

Cant keep blaming those other than Nintendo.

They did ok on Gamecube and Wii. Lots of Capcom games showed up on those 2 systems. They basically skipped the N64.

Wonder what it was about the N64 and Wii U they didnt like? I think the Wii just enticed many to get on board just because it was selling so well.

Majmun

How much more powerful is the Switch compared to Ps360? I'm sure a Ps360 version would be more lucrative, but they aren't doing that either. The Switch could get a port of that version.

Meesh

I won't lie... I think it's kind of a bummer if RE doesn't land on switch. I mean, I'd even take one of their classic REs with Switch "enhancments". REmake, or RE4 HD... whatever. I really just want to good old survivor horror on the go at times :)

jonno394

Such as milking game in 1-2 Switch or Skylanders ?

Sure.

Nah things like Zelda, Bomberman, Fast RMX, Mario Kart, Arms, Redout, Disgaea 5 and Lego City Undercover should keep me busy until Splatoon 2 hits in Summer. Not the greatest list of titles but still plenty to keep me ticking over!

PS4 GPU is barely on that level . Lol

hence why I edited the comment in ;) Silly me thought the PS4 was about 280x level.

opricnik

Banned
Nah things like Zelda, Bomberman, Fast RMX, Mario Kart, Arms, Redout, Disgaea 5 and Lego City Undercover should keep me busy until Splatoon 2 hits in Summer. Not the greatest list of titles but still plenty to keep me ticking over!

hence why I edited the comment in ;) Silly me thought the PS4 was about 280x level.

Sure if you want to play those games you can buy system , but no need to shitpost(speaking to first quote person) about games he wont play. I saw he did same derailing thread thing in TITANFALL 2 wont come Switch thread too.

Astral Dog

Nobody should be surprised the Switch can't handle the horror without severe downgrades at 30fps and it would be a late(!) port.

I still have slim hope for MvsC 4 however :)

Jobbs

Banned
That's okay. Just give us a nice Monster Hunter game on Switch and I'll be thrilled.

I really like Monster Hunter but I wish I didn't have to play it on a 3DS. 3DS blows and I don't usually need to game on the go anyway.

Astral Dog

...after the SNES.

And there is a reason why its been that way since after the SNES. With not just Capcom but alot of others.

Cant keep blaming those other than Nintendo.

They did ok on Gamecube and Wii. Lots of Capcom games showed up on those 2 systems. They basically skipped the N64.
Excuse me sir,Capcom released amazing titles on both the GC and Wii,and tried their best with RE2 on the N64.
Im sure we will see something good on the Switch as well
Such as milking game in 1-2 Switch or Skylanders ?

Sure.
Don't need to be mean,there is uh Zelda in march

opricnik

Banned
Nobody should be surprised the Switch can't handle the horror without severe downgrades at 30fps and it would be a late(!) port.

I still have slim hope for MvsC 4 however :)

MVC I is 60 fps game. Doubt it will come to Switch.Either gonna be looking like MK9 Vita or Nintendos gonna pay capcom to make a specialized version of game(like UMVC3 Vita backgrounds being very low images,most thing at back running at 30 fps ..)

jroc74

"I think it's a very unique piece of hardware," producer Masachika Kawata explained.

"I'm looking forward to the possibilities of the system itself, but we have no plans at the moment regarding Resident Evil on Switch."

Yea this is interesting. I have seen a few devs say basically the same thing.

If more get followed by no plans this doesnt look too good for Switch and multi platform 3rd party games.

Excuse me sir,Capcom released amazing titles on both the GC and Wii,and tried their best with RE2 on the N64.
Im sure we will see something good on the Switch as well

Don't need to be mean,there is uh Zelda in march

lol, I edited my post before you posted. I changed it to say lots showed up on those 2 systems..

I forgot about Resident Evil on GC... :)

Snakeyes

Oh, they included that stuff to attract third parties? Why aren't they lining up?

You tell me. What I'm saying is that a survival horror game would be great on the platform if the force feedback works as well as it does, and that the novelty of it would likely be worth the graphical trade-off to get RE7 up and running.

I'm certain the series will appear in some form in the future on the Switch, but it's a difficult expectation to set on Capcom. Weak hardware (output-wise; the hardware itself is interesting), cost of porting and optimization, cost of carts as opposed to discs, lack of internal memory to guarantee digital sales and DLC....that's a lot to stack against Capcom porting to the system.

Edit: May also add that REmake was considered a failure (thus the shift in the series), and I doubt Zero and even 4 were in much better places on the Gamecube. So Capcom may be wary of how the series performs on Nintendo's platforms compared to the others.

Sayad

Do we know exactly how underpowered the switch is relative to the Xbone? Im pretty sure Switch can handle a downgraded 720p RE7. I think the issue is more the market rather than the hardware, though it certainly doesn't help.
Probably can if it's 30fps. When specks are the issue though, it's more likely that it's portable mode's specks that would be holding it back. How would RE7 run in portable mode? Might require making new assets for it!

It's a handheld, expect handheld levels of publisher support.
It's both and Nintendo is pushing it more as a console. We see this sorry excuse in every single Switch thread!
9ovvu0I.gif

Neoxon

Anecdotally, horror is the least attractive genre for someone buying nintendo hardware. This isn't surprising.
Yet the GameCube, Wii, & Wii U all got Resident Evil games.

well,something has to show up thats not just Monster Hunter right?
Seems like a safe choice :(
I guess it would depend on how USFII does. You know how Capcom is about their "Testing the Waters" games.

Astral Dog

Anecdotally, horror is the least attractive genre for someone buying nintendo hardware. This isn't surprising.
REV,RE4wii,and Umbrella Chrlnicles sold more than one million copies while RE4 more than 500k at least on the first month.
Easy to understand why they are not porting 7,but RE always had a home on the more successful Nintendo systems.

opricnik

Banned

What are genres thats attractive for Nintendo hardware. Talking about 3rd party specificly. (not platformers obviously included).

I thought horror games were actually one of popular ones besides platformers. Considering they had Fatal Frame 5 exclusively last time. Resident evil 4 and Revelations timed exclusive for a year.

Thats much more then any third party game gave them chance.

Meesh

That's okay. Just give us a nice Monster Hunter game on Switch and I'll be thrilled.

I really like Monster Hunter but I wish I didn't have to play it on a 3DS. 3DS blows and I don't usually need to game on the go anyway.
Every time someone mentions MH on Switch it really gets my hopes up lol. Has there really been any strong hints that it's actually coming? Like Double Cross HD or something?

Switch isn't an PS4 or an Xbox, there are gonna be a lot of threads with this title unless the thing sells gangbusters and it makes sense to make tailor made versions of these games.

Majmun

It's a handheld with TV out support

The device is self contained with the screen and all games designed to being handheld.

It's designed to be whatever you want it to be. That's the philosophy behind the Switch.

Just because games are developed with the handheld specs in mind, doesn't mean that there isn't a docked version than can be used as a console.

jroc74

Nintendo fans been saying shit like this since N64, lol.

"Meh, game X is prolly shit anyway, Sony can keep it."

Yea that doesnt help, lol. Way to inspire confidence in supporting their game on a shaky platform guys....

But I even see 3rd party games get dumped on from the Wii. And I liked many from the Wii. Lots of 3rd party support and its still with an asterisk...

Every game doesnt have to be great. I mean damn, every Nintendo first party game isnt great.

They will port eventually. Stop the drama.

Seriously. This is not a power thing, it's about investment of time and money.

Most 3rd parties are going to take a wait and see attitude, unless they have a property that they feel strongly about matching what the perceived ROI will be.

Everything else is idealistic message board fodder.

There's no way in a million years the Switch could run XV.

Based on what?

The only realistic answer to that is that it may not be worth the time to port the Luminous engine to Switch as a one off.

There's a difference between not being able to run something and not being worth it from a quality and investment angle...

Rncewind

Seriously. This is not a power thing, it's about investment of time and money.

Most 3rd parties are going to take a wait and see attitude, unless they have a property that they feel strongly about matching what the perceived ROI will be.

Everything else is idealistic message board fodder.

Based on what?

The only realistic answer to that is that it may not be worth the time to port the Luminous engine to Switch as a one off.

There's a difference between not being able to run something and not being worth it from a quality and investment angle...

dude sry but wtf even you talking lol?

yeah you CAN downgrade ff xv and other games also to run on ps360 or even wii but its basiclly devoleping a new gimped version of your game

the switch is more closer to ps360 then to xbox one and ps4, you should accept that fact early on

Top Bottom