• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

Toparaman

Banned
They will port eventually. Stop the drama.
Unlikely. A downgraded port of RE7 would probably sell poorly. I doubt anyone has the burning desire to play a bad version of a survival horror game on the go.

Switch's strength is going to be exclusives, indies, and ports of previous generation games, not current generation multiplat AAA. Writing is on the wall, y'all need to accept what has been obvious for months now.

Majmun

Seriously. This is not a power thing, it's about investment of time and money.

Most 3rd parties are going to take a wait and see attitude, unless they have a property that they feel strongly about matching what the perceived ROI will be.

Everything else is idealistic message board fodder.

Based on what?

The only realistic answer to that is that it may not be worth the time to port the Luminous engine to Switch as a one off.

There's a difference between not being able to run something and not being worth it from a quality and investment angle...

With this mindset everything can be ported to anything.

Which is probably true. But there's more to it than that. 3rd parties just never seem to risk on bringing their games on Nintendo hardware. And that's Nintendo's fault. Not theirs.

Frodo

Since this thread seems to be about RE4, I'll say: RE4 with motion controls on the go? Sure, why not?! Just price it right. I'll buy it at a high reasonable price.

We're in for another generation of....

"Is this game coming to [Nintendo hardware]?"

"We love how unique the system is and really look forward to maybe making something specially suited to that systems strengths one day. But to answer you question, no."

....interviews aren't we?

m4st4

Unlikely. A downgraded port of RE7 would probably sell poorly. I doubt anyone has the burning desire to play a bad version of a survival horror game on the go.

Switch's strength is going to be exclusives, indies, and ports of previous generation games, not current generation multiplat AAA. Writing is on the wall, y'all need to accept what has been obvious for months now.

Absolutely agree with this sentiment, but let's not call Switch 'a shit hardware' and be done with it like some heavy hitters in this thread. It's been specifically designed for a certain purpose: it's different, unique and obviously desirable by many. Like every other piece of Nintendo hardware - for a good reason. The fact that they don't always understand their strengths, and weaknesses, has nothing to do with their ability to produce a piece of solid gaming hardware.

You are always so positive.

He does appear to be a bit more cheery in Sony related threads but his views on Switch is pretty much spot-on.

Absolutely agree with this sentiment, but let's not call Switch 'a shit hardware' and be done with it like some heavy hitters in this thread. It's been specifically designed for a certain purpose: it's different, unique and obviously desirable by many. Like every other piece of Nintendo hardware - for a good reason. The fact that they don't always understand their strengths, and weaknesses, has nothing to do with their ability to produce a piece of solid gaming hardware.

I don't know it that really applies to the Wii U which likely explians its lack of sales.

Hattori

Banned
this is unfortunate news, hopefully they make another revelations type game, HD rumble + horror would be an amazing experience

Anth0ny

Same old "it's a unique piece of hardware and we will bring game x over to it when we can take advantage of the hardware!"

FireVoa

The system is no where near as powerful as a PS4/X1 right? So why is it people keep expecting mutiplats to get ports to the Switch unless they are previous gen ports (360/PS3)? I just don't understand what the expectation is here.

If there was any more doubt that Nintendo no longer has any interest in creating a system for traditional multiplatform support, Switch is the final proof. Nintendo will never make a platform designed for third party support ever again. You'll get your indie games and the occasional Japanese title and that's it.

opricnik

Banned
The system is no where near as powerful as a PS4/X1 right? So why is it people keep expecting mutiplats to get ports to the Switch unless they are previous gen ports (360/PS3)? I just don't understand what the expectation is here.

For months "leakers" said its pretty similiar to Xbox one performance ( some even said PS4).
That may led up to false hype around system at Gaf.

Hermii

It does have a modern featureset and modern engines are very scalable. It wouldn't be as bad as porting to last gen consoles.

Toparaman

Banned
Now if Final Fantasy 7 remake skips Switch and Kingdom Hearts 3 skips it... then we will have a huge problem.

Seriously? I figured this one would make sense to port.

Not good people. NOT GOOD!

It's starting. Fuck.

How can you all be invested enough in gaming to be on NeoGAF, yet not understand how unrealistic it is to expect devs to make scaled-back ports of AAA games built from the ground-up for current gen hardware, all for the sake of a tiny audience who would be interested in playing significantly inferior versions of said games?

Let's list out the groups of people who would buy such ports:
1. Nintendo diehards who care about AAA games yet for some reason refuse to just buy a second console or a PC. (Pray for these folks; they've been in a catatonic state for 20 years.)
2. People who love a game so much that they wouldn't mind playing a downgraded version, simply for the novelty of being able to play the game on a portable.
3. (If the Switch is a mainstream success) The stray casual who picks up games on a whim.

That all adds up to what, maybe 5% of the total audience for a AAA game?

Nintendo didn't make the Switch with the desire for library parity with other platforms; that much has been abundantly clear since the reveal video in October, which showed zero current gen games running on Switch. Nintendo has made a conscious decision like they did with the Wii to opt for a unique library over a comprehensive one.

Please get your head out of your ass. It's really not rocket science.

Sayad

Now if Final Fantasy 7 remake skips Switch and Kingdom Hearts 3 skips it... then we will have a huge problem.
If the switch get the 3DS version of DQXI instead of the PS4 one, then it should be clear it's not getting either KH3 or FF7RE. It basically says SE won't bother down porting to the Switch.

usp84

Reminds me of Dark Souls on Wii U that got the exact same response.

Here for people who missed/forgot it

DS producer says PC DS1 was rushed;No Vita;Explodes w/ laughter when asked about WiiU

People who only buy Nintendo hardware are used to it.

There were some rumours that Dark Souls 3(and maybe other dark souls games) would be on the Switch but so far nothing.

With the last Dark Souls 3 DLC coming it would be perfect to have the game on the Switch in a "Complete Edition" but i am not very optimistic.

residentevil4_ps2box_usa_org_000.jpg

*shrugs*

I guess I won't be playing Resident Evil 7 for a while then.

I'll have plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

Your loss. Bye Felicia.

If this is indeed not coming to the Switch, then who does it really affect? People that literally own ONLY a Switch, and care about AAA games? What does that Venn diagram look like? If it's small enough, then Capcom might be making the smart business decision here.

GrayFoxPL

I agree that Revelations 1&2 would be a cool choice for the system.

RE 1,2,3,Code Veronica in one package would be great too.

Back when RE4 was released, the ps2 had like a 150 million userbase. It would have been a wasted opportunity of sales not to release any third party game for the PS2 back then.

PS2 wasn't close to 150 million back in 2005, though your general point is true.

More delusion I see.

That's not a bad version. That's a worse version. It played fine, looked fine, and reviewed well. It was not a generational difference from the GC version.

Please give me more bad arguments, it's fun.

Back when RE4 was released, the ps2 had like a 150 million userbase. It would have been a wasted opportunity of sales not to release any third party game for the PS2 back then.

And there isn't a generational difference between the Switch and XBO. The only bad argument is your stupid assertion that Capcom gives a shit about performance. If they knew the game was a guaranteed sell on the Switch they'd port it. But no, instead you go the route of speaking nonsense about specs and foolishly equating the Switch to a 360/PS3

If the switch get the 3DS version of DQXI instead of the PS4 one, then it should be clear it's not getting either KH3 or FF7RE. It basically says SE won't bother down porting to the Switch.
Hori has said it's getting it's own Version as it's different so it might use UE4 but it could use the motion controls.

gematsu.com/2016/08/dragon-quest-xi-confirmed-nx-simultaneous-launch-ps4-3ds-versions-suggested

Raitaro

Okay....how about a Monster Hunter and new Mega Man reboot instead Capcom?

Don't just give us the usual "no plans, but it's an interesting platform" spiel that helped sink a system like the Wii U from day 1, give us games that fit the system and its customer base! (Oh and not just ports of old games like USFII, even though that one is also appreciated.)

dcx4610

Here we go all over again. Developers are creating their games on PC/XB1/PS4. Nintendo comes out with another "interesting" piece of hardware but devs have no interest moving their games over because it's too weak and/or too different.

How is this going to be different from the Wii and Wii U again? Same problems, different name. (Yes, I'm getting one)

lenovox1

Capcom did a decent RE5 port to Android (Shield TV). Likely, the game will be flexible enough to down port if previous versions of the game are any indication. The only question would be if the game could fit on a 32GB game card max.

Otherwise, why is there a giant discussion of the nonexistence of a port?

Top Bottom