• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

Capcom did a decent RE5 port to Android (Shield TV). Likely, the game will be flexible enough to down port if previous versions of the game are any indication. The only question would be if the game could fit on a 32GB game card max.

Otherwise, why is there a giant discussion of the nonexistence of a port?

lolNintendo

opricnik

Banned
Capcom did a decent RE5 port to Android (Shield TV). Likely, the game will be flexible enough to down port if previous versions of the game are any indication. The only question would be if the game could fit on a 32GB game card max.

Otherwise, why is there a giant discussion of the nonexistence of a port?

RE5 Port on Shield TV(Tegra X1) is terrible. It hops up between 20 fps to 45 fps with no frame-scaling.And run with missing effects/lower textures compared to XB360. I dont know how can you say it was " decent".

Toparaman

Banned
And there isn't a generational difference between the Switch and XBO.

Where's the evidence? We haven't seen a single Switch game that is comparable technically to your typical Xbox One game, even a cartoony one like Sunset Overdrive.

By contrast, every Switch game we have seen so far looks like it would run on Wii U/PS3/X360 with some mild adjustments. The two most technically impressive games we've seen so far are ARMS and Mario Odyssey, both of which look just slightly better than similarly styled Wii U games like Splatoon and Mario 3D World. It's far from a generational leap.

All evidence points to a console that is much closer to last-gen than current-gen.

Calm Mind

residentevil4_ps2box_usa_org_000.jpg

/thread

I don't get the "but re4 got ported" replies. I mean since then RE5 and RE6 haven't been ported to a Nintendo console. And then you have Revelations that started its life on a Nintendo console but didn't get Revelations 2.

sknygy

Neo Member
Anyone know how scalable the RE Engine is? The MT Framework engine they used a while back was designed with scalability in mind so don't see why they wouldn't include a certain amount of what they learned there in future engines.

no one wants to bother with shit hardware

nintendo always stuck between two generations

It's not a question of hardware, it's a question of success.
If you put $1mil into a port of a game on hardware that has yet to establish itself you're risking losing a big part of that money because you don't know if those kind of games are even successful on that hardware.

RE7 runs on UE4 (I think? Someone correct me on this if needed) which is a very scalable engine, which in is running on Switch. Capcom would surely find a way to make this game run at (at least) 720p 30fps and retain the visuals of the game, having to scale back only some effects and texture resolution, probably.

But people would rather want to remember "Wii couldn't even render RE5's title screen" than "Resident Evil Revelation looked like an Xbox 360/PS3 game on 3DS in lower resolution".

Capcom are fucking wizards when it comes to good looking games on weak hardware. See RE4 on PS2. See RE Revelations on 3DS. See Street Fighter IV on 3DS.
Even the Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles games look fantastic for being on the Wii. They look even better (but run way worse) on Dolphin.
Capcom knows how to graphics.

But in order for RE7 to appear on Switch, the console must first establish itself and show that there is a market for RE7 and/or a way to turn a profit with RE7 on Switch.

It's about money. Not hardware. RE7 on Switch would need to make at least twice as much money as the game costs to port over to the console. Profit is the most important factor.

RE5 Port on Shield TV(Tegra X1) is terrible. It hops up between 20 fps to 45 fps with no frame-scaling.And run with missing effects/lower textures compared to XB360. I dont know how can you say it was " decent".

I would probably err more on the side of "not good but playable." Let's be honest, Shield TV would barely warrant much effort into optimization given sales forecasts. It probably passed just enough QA to justify release (just guessing, of course).

A cheap and dirty port, the likes of which the PC used to recieve from consoles.

I feel sorry for anyone buying the Switch for the PS4/XB1 ports. It's just not gonna happen, the power isn't there and the install base isn't there for devs to spend the extra time and money to make existing PS4/XB1 to run on Switch. Now if the Switch is a huge success we may see devs go through all the trouble but in the time being it's just not worth it for them.

Jawmuncher

Why? Because of power? Lmao

I didn't say impossible. But atm all we have to go on is RE7 isn't coming to switch for whatever reason. We have no information on what kind of game RE2make is even going to be. So with those two things alone, it doesn't really paint a bright picture.

Neff

Truthfully I think it would struggle to run it. It's one of the best looking videogames out there right now.

Genio88

Don't care, game comes out in 2 days and i'm gonna enjoy it at its best on PC, for me Switch means mostly Nintendo exclusives, 3DS third party franchises sequels and RPG

They will port eventually. Stop the drama.

I think it's a much safer bet to assume that they won't be porting the game, based solely on third party history with Nintendo (which includes Capcom's non-history of bringing mainline RE games to Nintendo platforms--unless someone really wants to dig up the corpse of the twelve year old RE4 as proof that Capcom gives more than two shits about bringing mainline-RE games to Nintendo).

I mean, anything is possible. You could potentially run head-first into an anvil and put a dent in it. But like with the odds of RE7 coming to Switch, it ain't likely.

It wasn't decent but not because of the Shield X1 hardware. It was a very fast port.

Eltechs is proud that Eltechs Engine was used to make Resident Evil 5 available on NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Console. And this is not the first game that ported to SHIELD with the help of Eltechs Engine. In the beginning of 2016 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was launched on NVIDIA SHIELD and it is also powered by Eltechs Engine. Eltechs Engine enables running x86 binary codes directly on ARM using virtualization and binary translation technologies to provide a very high performance of ported games. This is the simplest and the fastest way to bring PC games on Android.

One game comes to switch: 2 pages thread
This one doesn't count because reasons

One doesn't come: 15 pages thread
Lol Nintendo Switch is DOA

Seriously the average quality of posts these last days...

If we start to make threads whenever a big 3rd party gmae doesn't come to Switch then we would need a dedicated Switch forum.

The Switch at this point actually has less 3rd party support compared to Wii U, its unlikely anything will change in the future.

Waji

no one wants to bother with shit hardware

nintendo always stuck between two generations
Yes no one. That's the exact reason why nobody will buy the Switch and absolutely no games are released on it.
Thank you for this smart insight.

I wish we had an honest answer from third parties about how long they have had Switch dev kits. If most did not get the dev kit until October 2017, then I am not worried about the lack of ports at this time.

If they have had them a lot longer, then that should be red flags everywhere.

I wish we had an honest answer from third parties about how long they have had Switch dev kits. If most did not get the dev kit until October 2017, then I am not worried about the lack of ports at this time.

If they have had them a lot longer, then that should be red flags everywhere.

It doesn't matter when they got them. The Switch can't run these big budget games without significant cuts. Is it even worth it? Probably not for AAA games.

Yes no one. That's the exact reason why nobody will buy the Switch and absolutely no games are released on it.
Thank you for this smart insight.
He wasn't talking about sales, friend

Lack of third party support beyond SEGA's "Interest In The Hardware" and Suda's "Game I'm Thinking About Making", both scheduled for release in Q1 20XX

You probably won't see any AAA PS4/XB1 ports unless Nintendo goes out of their way to court devs or the system is a huge success and it makes financial sense. Right now it seems any third party stuff will be the stuff that was coming out on 3DS and Wii U anyways

wildfire

Banned
One game comes to switch: 2 pages thread
This one doesn't count because reasons

One doesn't come: 15 pages thread
Lol Nintendo Switch is DOA

Seriously the average quality of posts these last days...

The type of game matters. Resident Evil is far bigger franchise than the other 3rd party games mentioned.

I didn't expect 7 to come to switch but everyone who says it's because the Switch can't run it are wrong.

This isn't the Wii or Wii U compared to the ps3 or xbox one respectively. It's more like gtx 750ti compared to a gtx 970. It's not impossible to port but is it worth it?

Why do people expect current gen games on this underpowered hardware?

Why not expect handheldversions on a modern handheld which runs engines like UE4, the vulkan api etc.? Not every game will make sense, but there will be some current gen games ported to it, like DQ 11, Steep, etc.

Resident Evil 7 isn' t open world, i think it would be relative "easy" to downport to a smaller resolution, 30fps, less sharp textures etc.

Re7 isnt a good looking game. There was nothing fancy going on.

Oh well its Nintendo. Gotta put some negative spin to the news.

Why not expect handheldversions on a modern handheld which runs engines like UE4, the vulkan api etc.? Not every game will make sense, but there will be some current gen games ported to it, like DQ 11, Steep, etc.

Resident Evil 7 isn' t open world, i think it would be relative "easy" to downport to a smaller resolution, 30fps, less sharp textures etc.

Unless you only own a Switch why would you even want such a downgraded game?

Re7 isnt a good looking game. There was nothing fancy going on.

Oh well its Nintendo. Gotta put some negative spin to the news.

RE7 looks pretty damn good to me and runs 60fps.

Unless you only own a Switch why would you even want such a downgraded game?

For some games i would love to have a portable version. Don't know why this is so hard to understand. Not for every game. I own a PS4 and a gaming PC, but i would buy JRPGs, a handheld version of GTA and Fifa and other games to take them with me. On some games i would even double dip.

And then you have japan, where people like handhelds more than homeconsoles.

For some games i would love to have a portable version. Don't know why this is so hard to understand. Not for every game. I own a PS4 and a gaming PC, but i would buy JRPGs, a handheld version of GTA and Fifa and other games to take them with me. On some games i would even double dip.

And then you have japan, where people like handhelds more than homeconsoles.

True, but RE7 doesn't seem like the kind of game to play while communting. RPGs seem like perfect genre for mobile gaming.

Cue the "SHOCKING" responses lol. It's sad that the switch looks to be suffering the same fate as the Wii U in regards to third parties.

Top Bottom