• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom suing Koei in patent-dispute for 980 Million Yen

NeonZ

The game that was given as a example is
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513EDCRCX3L.jpg
which added a handful of characters and stages to the original Sengoku Musou.

Thinking about it, Capcom uses this pattern all the time:
Street Fighter 4 -> Super -> AE -> Ultra
Monster Hunter 4 -> 4G

It's not really the same thing though. That's Samurai Warriors XL. With the game by itself, you just have the new content. You need to have the original Samurai Warriors and XL to get the original content + the new content. The first XL game came out in 2002 itself too. I wonder when Capcom's patent got approved?

I don't remember Capcom ever releasing any games that work like that, although I haven't played their Basara expansions, so I don't know if they followed that format.

This is some of the dumbest shit I've heard. Capcom are that strapped for cash that they want to sue for stuff like rumbling when an enemy is close and for 12 year old games? Just stop it. It''s ridiculous.

Garou

It's not really the same thing though. That's Samurai Warriors XL. With the game by itself, you just have the new content. You need to have the original Samurai Warriors and XL to get the original content + the new content. The first XL game came out in 2002 itself too. I wonder when Capcom's patent got approved?

I don't remember Capcom ever releasing any games that work like that, although I haven't played their Basara expansions, so I don't know if they followed that format.

You are right, I just checked and the game is standalone and expansion in one. Did it just use the savegame of the previous one or did you have to swap discs?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow, Capcom really needs the money....i thought the respect level between the bigger established Japanese publishers, this is kinda surprising.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is what Capcom are reduced to now. Patent trolling.

Sayad

Thinking about it, Capcom uses this pattern all the time:
Street Fighter 4 -> Super -> AE -> Ultra
Monster Hunter 4 -> 4G
Though Capcom is the one who does this the most, this have been in the industry long before they filed the patent for it in 2002! Do they really have a case here?

Jucksalbe

Banned
lol, they rip off Musou games with their Sengoku Basara series and then go ahead and sue those games for patent infringement. That's pretty...bold.

Really Capcom? If this is actually successful what next, will there be lawsuits over game concepts and simpler mechanics like jumping and level up systems.

Recall

Capcom is arguing that Koei infringed in 49 titles (e.g. Sengoku Musou Moushouden, PS2 (2004)) a patent by Capcom filed in 2002 about the function of adding new characters and scenarios to a game...

Edit: To be clear, the patent is for "Combining software to add the content", so things like expansion discs I would assume, after all the patent is from 2002.

The game industry is fucking dumb and so counter productive.

Seems like a shifty case, software implementations...Capcom you make me weep, you have slid so far down :(

sorry Capcom, a buzz for alerting when an enemy is close isn't something you should own...

They should sue Nintendo , they had that function in NintendoLand

AAK

Are they going to sue Aksys and Atlus as well?

Persona 4 --> Persona 4 Golden
Persona 4 Arena --> Persona 4 Ultimax
Blazblue --> Continuum Shift --> Extend --> Chrono Phantasma

Banned
Capcom: wait what, did they just release DLC for their game? That is our thing! Sue those bastards! Haha they didn't even do it right, they actually me made new content when your supposed to take chunks of the main game and lock it away on the disc. Losers.

You are right, I just checked and the game is standalone and expansion in one. Did it just use the savegame of the previous one or did you have to swap discs?

XL games work like this:

They boot alone as a separate game, play all the expansion content and modes alone, and you can import save data from the old game to bring in your character data from the original.

You can perform what they call a "mixjoy" and pop in the original disc for a second to temporarily unlock the levels and story modes from the original game, but from within the framework of the expansion (so new characters and tweaks are present)

Oooh, this should end well.

GDTjqKK.gif

Kysen

I saw a comment on a JP blog that basically said that JP devs are turning on each other while the west continues making progress. Capcom truly have hit the bottom of the barrel with this.

I almost would think that trying to sue a small company for a small amount would only be logical if you were trying to set a precedent to later sue large companies for large amounts.

I wonder how much of a case they have here.

Joking aside, most things they do lately seem like moves to "keep the ball rolling" rather than progress anything.

Street Fighter IV has been re-released more times than it really deserves to have been.
Monster Hunter Tri was ported more than it needed to be.
Monster Hunter 4 is now beginning down the road of upgraded releases.
Dead Rising 3 was co(?)-funded by Microsoft rather than being a new game.
Deep Down co(?)-funded by Sony
Lost Planet farmed out to what I can only assume was a cheap overseas contractor
Breath of Fire mobile spin-off named as BoF VI to cash in on sales, I assume.

Aside from DMC being an attempt to rebirth the franchise, they really aren't investing lately, and it does strike me as a company in lots of trouble.

edit: Oh, and Dragon's Dogma seems to have been a blip rather than a new direction in terms of console IP's, sadly.

Let's see if KT counter sues for Capcom making Sengoku Basara after Sengoku Musou was out......

Haha, j/k

I cannot believe why Capcom decides to bring this up now and not before. There are so many other companies that do this as well. They must really be needing money now.

Are they going to sue Aksys and Atlus as well?

Persona 4 --> Persona 4 Golden
Persona 4 Arena --> Persona 4 Ultimax
Blazblue --> Continuum Shift --> Extend --> Chrono Phantasma

Really pedantic thing to pick up on, but Aksys don't develop Blazblue, they just localize them. Arc System Works are the developers.

And I'd imagine they could well be going after them since they're a fellow Japanese company.

I refuse to buy anything from Capcom in the future

I've been doing this since MML3 got canceled, I made a singular exception for Ace Attorney 5 because I did want to reward Capcom for it's efforts in continues localization for that series, but immediately after that it went back to not giving them a dime.

3 years and counting.

duckroll

This is fucking unbelievable. What the fuck is Capcom even doing? Are they seriously trying to make a cash grab on a patents defining expansion re-releases and... rumble alert? Really? I guess this was a natural evolution (devolution?) for a company who seems unable to release or announce new games for their audiences. How disappointing.

Not sure what is different with patent law in Japan, but in the US, you technically can't patent a mechanic like the rumble when an enemy is nearby thing. They'd have a hard time in the US with the other part, too, as they waited a very long time to do anything.

Trike

I've been doing this since MML3 got canceled, I made a singular exception for Ace Attorney 5 because I did want to reward Capcom for it's efforts in continues localization for that series, but immediately after that it went back to not giving them a dime.

3 years and counting.

Man, it must be tough not buying gems like Resident Evil 6, Lost Planet 3, and Smurfette's Magic Match.

Top Bottom