• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom suing Koei in patent-dispute for 980 Million Yen

duckroll

I'm looking at the Japanese article, and I don't see anything about a rumble patent. Is there another article? The one linked in the OP just mentions a single patent being violated - one which unlocks additional characters and scenarios in a sequel if there is data from the previous game in the console. (What a bullshit patent!)

So they hold on to a patent since 2002, never once try and protect said patent - then fire off a 1 billion yen lawsuit over a decade later. They should just be laughed out of the courtroom for such an obvious and pathetic cashgrab attempt after they've done nothing to stop such patent "infringement" for all this time.

li bur

I'm looking at the Japanese article, and I don't see anything about a rumble patent. Is there another article? The one linked in the OP just mentions a single patent being violated - one which unlocks additional characters and scenarios in a sequel if there is data from the previous game in the console. (What a bullshit patent!)

Wat.

Isn't that quite common?

This is fucking unbelievable. What the fuck is Capcom even doing? Are they seriously trying to make a cash grab on a patents defining expansion re-releases and... rumble alert? Really? I guess this was a natural evolution (devolution?) for a company who seems unable to release or announce new games for their audiences. How disappointing.

This is fucking disgusting. I guess Capcom said as we cannot make anything new let's provoque disgust in the market.

Kikujiro

I saw a comment on a JP blog that basically said that JP devs are turning on each other while the west continues making progress. Capcom truly have hit the bottom of the barrel with this.

It's like Japanese SHs aren't able to adapt to the global market. At least Namco and smaller companies seem to do well.

It's incredible how Capcom became a worse company than S-E, they started the last generation so well, what the hell happened?
Going after a fellow game company over a shitty patent is really something else.

Garou

They edited the article (without mentioning it). The original is still here.

MoxManiac

Uh yeah, this patent stuff is disgusting, but you guys shouldn't be slagging on the street fighter 4 series, its one of the few things capcom has been doing right

sörine

Banned
Videogame mechanic patents are pretty dumb and there's more than just Capcom with them.
The first major case I remember was Sega patenting realtime 3D perspective/view changes in-game back in the early 1990s based off Virtua Racing. Other companies (including Namco iirc) were licensing rights from Sega until a group of four companies (Nintendo, Konami, T&E Soft, Technosoft) banded together to oppose the patent and got it revoked. They used a Star Wars X68000 game by MNM Software (now Mindware) as prior art.

Yagharek

Sonic 3 and knuckles did the scenario unlocking years before this patent was granted with the doomsday act. And I presume it wasn't the first to do it either.

Trojan

Capcom picking on the little guy Koei...this is ridiculous. They're trying to squeeze 5-10% of game sales of a couple indie titles? This is so sad.

Man it is so sad to see Capcom sink this far. Especially after spending last night playing some of their best games on the NES. I hope they lose this all the way.

benzy

Aren't there other companies that do the same unlocking content, including western devs?

Elman

Do Capcom also own the patent for "selling a game with unlockable DLC that ships on the disc"? They should sue these offenders instead. Might make the world a better place by only allowing themselves to do stupid shit.

No way Capcom can win this. It's basically vague bullshit and there are prior pieces that could lead to their supposed patent being nulled.

That's SEGA, not Capcom.

Jesus Christ I don't know what was wrong with me as I was typing, lol. I don't know how in my half asleep blur I lumped Jet Set and Sonic in with Capcom, other than they're both disgraced Japanese studios. Statement still stands about SF and Mega Man, though.

tinytoon

Neo Member
Konami already did this in the late 90's with Dance Dance Revolution releases for Playstation in Japan. The games supported disk changing between the different versions to access certain features and I believe exclusive songs.

mclem

Someone should notify New World Computing that Capcom's gonna be on their case.

552Na0j.jpg

+

8bvHcxv.jpg

=

5ZzqM7s.png

Top Bottom