• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom suing Koei in patent-dispute for 980 Million Yen

To be fair, for the people talking about SF. The community wanted those updates and re-release. Ultra was made just for the competitive scene. Just look at every major trailer of the game. You don't see casuals, you see competitive tournament players.

Some fighting games scenes wished their company pumped out new versions like SF4.

As to the lawsuit, capcom is being stupid

Rixa

Someone should notify New World Computing that Capcom's gonna be on their case.

Does Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back count also?
250px-Dungeon_Master_Box_Art.jpg

Wikipedia DM:CSB said:
The game is therefore pitched at a much higher difficulty level than its predecessor. The player can choose from a selection of moderately high-level characters or can import characters from a Dungeon Master saved game.

Faustek

Isn't this more a technical thing?
Not the interacting with past games but a unlock via game booting? So it's in the sequence of how it happens, the way there not the end result. You know how Apple is trying to do with the whole world(Samsung)?

Either way its shit and the sites not reporting on this is shit as well for just trying to get them clicks.

I'm looking at the Japanese article, and I don't see anything about a rumble patent. Is there another article? The one linked in the OP just mentions a single patent being violated - one which unlocks additional characters and scenarios in a sequel if there is data from the previous game in the console. (What a bullshit patent!)

Ughh.. This is really low, Capcom.

Smash Bros Melee has unlockables based on save files on the memory card. What about the Pokemon Stadium games? I'm sure tons of games does this.

Hollycat

Ughh.. This is really low, Capcom.

Smash Bros Melee has unlockables based on save files on the memory card. What about the Pokemon Stadium games? I'm sure tons of games does this.
Rachet and clank, dead space, about a million other games. Calvin is just being ducks.

Jakoo

Does this patent only apply to Japanese markets? I wonder if this patent is relevant in the USA, and if not, if it's even patentable. If so, I imagine someone must own it.

Don't get any ideas Personal Audio

Videoneon

What game of Capcom actually uses this feature?

I tried to think about this too. Do any of the Dead Rising (DR2 Expansions) do this? What about Sengoku Basara 3 or Utage?

Actually Street Fighter IV probably does this. I think if you had data for the first iteration of SFIV and loaded up SSFIV you got two extra costumes (#11 and #12, which look crappy anyway)

sleepykyo

This will be thrown out of court when the patent is found to be invalid due to a spelling mistake.

So why not sue EA, Ubisoft, Activision and pretty much every other publisher?

Any of those 3 would probably bleed Capcom dry in court.

Capcom has now reached Langdell status.

Tailer

So this is what happens when a company takes a bite of the apple, probably at the lowest possible level at the moment.

M3d10n

I'm looking at the Japanese article, and I don't see anything about a rumble patent. Is there another article? The one linked in the OP just mentions a single patent being violated - one which unlocks additional characters and scenarios in a sequel if there is data from the previous game in the console. (What a bullshit patent!)

What the fuck? Quite a few games did this. Shining Force 3, most glaringly:

- It's actually three independent games (Scenario 1, 2 and 3) which weren't released at the same time.
- You could carry your save from the earlier games to the later ones, giving you access to characters you couldn't use otherwise.

I also remember Panzer Dragoon Saga giving you bonuses if you had a Panzer Dragoon Zwei save on the system.

Any of those 3 would probably bleed Capcom dry in court.

Capcom has now reached Langdell status.

Wasn't he put in his place once he tried to sue EA over the word "Edge"? I assume the same would happen to Capcom like you said. I actually have fond memories of Langdell, he taught me what a patent troll was.

meppi

The hell is this crap?

Seriously, fuck Capcom. What a piece of shit company they have become over the past couple of years. :-/

Castcoder

Banned
Tomba! 2 would unlock content if you had Tomba! save file on your memory card, and that was in 2000. Ratchet, Jak, War of the Monsters, Rock Band (Orange Box), and dozens more did this.

Knowing Cacpom, they wrote their company's name wrong in the initial patent and made the patent invalid or something.

ReaperXL7

Doesn't Diablo alert you to the presence of a nemesis with rumble?

And wouldn't Bioware be in violation of the save game effecting another game?

This is some weird shit to have patents on when it feels like other companies have been doing these things longer

Shame Koei/Tecmo can't turn around and blast Capcom for lifting so much stuff off their Musou titles for Sengoku Basara.

As a fan of both franchises the similarities are nuts. Seeing a Sengoku Basara x Musou or even a Capcom x Koei crossover would have been crazy awesome. That bridge has well and truly been burned though.

Too bad Capcom is deciding to go down like this. I've enjoyed all of the prior generations they've made games for.
Hell I even love some of their less popular titles like RE6 and Lost Planet 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Capcom is possibly violating Namco's patents in their SFIV training mode. It can turn into a real mess if everyone decides to start litigating.

Top Bottom